Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Re: Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Son just bought an old mandolin. Quite a nice instrument to look at as to the small strips of wood that make up the body and the curvature of the backside. Since neither of us can play it we enjoy looking at it. Man the frets are so close together. Thing is in such great shape he took it to a music shop that actually has a selection on the wall that they were into its quality and the way its held up over the years.
    Let me know if you decide to sell or trade it. Always looking for acoustic instruments, but I've especially been looking for a mandolin lately.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Let me know if you decide to sell or trade it. Always looking for acoustic instruments, but I've especially been looking for a mandolin lately.
    Will do. I think he bought it more for the collection than playing and it is pretty cool to look at. Been playing The Godfather theme by tab. Lol

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Sweetwater delivered this on Friday, I've been in guitar heaven all weekend. With seven 12AX7's in the preamp this thing has got gain for days, but has an amazing clean channel as well.

Looks like my Marshall days are probably over.
    Love the versatility! My Orange TH30 combo can do 30, 15, or 7. Thats all you need imo. I use to have a Marshall 100 watt amp jcm 800? I can't remember but that thing was so loud I'd practice in a 4 piece (two guitars) at 1ish. Ya so it goes to 10 if you want lol. I replaced with a Marshall jcm 2000 50w and was perfect. Still got it too.

1 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

I want a Marshall. Anyone know if this one is any good? Or should I be looking somewhere else? Aka, school me on Marshalls.

Access Denied

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

That's solid state. You probably want valves, bro.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I want a Marshall. Anyone know if this one is any good? Or should I be looking somewhere else? Aka, school me on Marshalls.

Access Denied
    Those are not bad for solid state amps, but they are not gig worthy if you've got a drummer that hits hard. The cab cannot handle the bottom end the head can deliver, it just turns to mush. I have a 10 year old one of those heads, but I run it through a Marshall MC412 cab (similar to a 1960A cab) and it's night and day better. I never use it because I got a DSL half stack a few years back.

You can get those heads used for under $200, and a 1960 cab for $400 +/-.

But, for that money you're easily into a 'real' used Marshall valve combo (JCM 2000 DSL or TSL 1x12 or 2/12). Either of those would blow that solid state out of the building no matter what cab you paired it with. I'd go with a used tube Marshall all day every day over any brand of solid state amp.

0 Not allowed!

Ok, thats what Ive heard a bit.
    How do I need to buy a head and cab? Is it just buy one of each and hook them up, or is there some maths to it?
    Also, will only be playing this in my house. No gigging. But I want a Marshall, not a crappy amp with a marshall name on it.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Your link is a crappy amp with the Marshall name on it, but I still love you.
    Get a fucking JCM800 and a security guard to handle all of the chicks you're gonna get.

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Your link is a crappy amp with the Marshall name on it, but I still love you.
    Get a fucking JCM800 and a security guard to handle all of the chicks you're gonna get.
    You know how many hookers I can get for the price of that head?

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

How do I need to buy a head and cab? Is it just buy one of each and hook them up, or is there some maths to it?
    Also, will only be playing this in my house. No gigging. But I want a Marshall, not a crappy amp with a marshall name on it.
    You do not want a tube half stack for home use. It's the Hayabusa of amps. The only way it will make sense is if you have the space to crank it, and your neighbors are 1/4 mile or more away. Alternatively, you could buy an attenuator to allow you to get the tubes hot without the volume, plan on another $400 +/- for that piece of gear.

You're best bet is a Marshall combo: JCM 800 or JCM 2000, I prefer 2x12 combo's (they sound fuller than the 1x12's). The lesser wattage combo's are perfect, you don't need 100 watts of valve power.
    No thinking about impedance when hooking up cabs because the speakers are built in. Turn it on and play.

If you want it brandy new look at the DSL 15 or 40 (I think there is a 5 watt option too..)

0 Not allowed!

I don’t know anything about Marshall’s. I’m just checking in to say I want one of those epi korina v’s.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I don’t know anything about Marshall’s. I’m just checking in to say I want one of those epi korina v’s.
    Nice.

I'm going to spend a bit of time flipping. I bought an '88 BC Rich superstrat at a pawn shop last week. USA made, snakeskin finish, a beauty. Sold it in less than 12 hours for an $800 profit. The deals are out there!

1 Not allowed!

Nice.

I'm going to spend a bit of time flipping. I bought an '88 BC Rich superstrat at a pawn shop last week. USA made, snakeskin finish, a beauty. Sold it in less than 12 hours for an $800 profit. The deals are out there!
    That seems to be a rare thing these days, congrats.
    In general, I don't have the stamina for flipping. Nor the space to keep extra stuff, now that I think about it.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    That seems to be a rare thing these days, congrats.
    In general, I don't have the stamina for flipping. Nor the space to keep extra stuff, now that I think about it.
    Thanks, it is pretty rare to pull that kind of profit out of a flip. I bought it for stupid money, which was surprising give that it had "MADE IN U.S.A." stamped on the headstock...I've found it easier to buy guitars cheap, then trade them up when an opportunity comes and flip the more valuable guitar. The Warden says more need to go, along with 2 Marshall 1/2's. I love cash but I get attached to these things if they stick around long enough!

0 Not allowed!

You do not want a tube half stack for home use. It's the Hayabusa of amps. The only way it will make sense is if you have the space to crank it, and your neighbors are 1/4 mile or more away. Alternatively, you could buy an attenuator to allow you to get the tubes hot without the volume, plan on another $400 +/- for that piece of gear.
    I will second this...even when I was a young rocker it was too loud; the tone they are known for starts at about the volume stuff is shaking off the walls

0 Not allowed!

If you want it brandy new look at the DSL 15 or 40 (I think there is a 5 watt option too..)
    This. The DSL15 combo will be the best bang for the buck option in my opinion. It's like a ZRX, very good at everything but not the best at anything. My bro and I have been through a SHIT-TON of amps over the years......

0 Not allowed!
    Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

I’d try out both the 15 and 40 combos others suggested. Me personally I’d get the 40 mainly because it has the same tubes as my 50w head. Never played one though. I tried out the 15w mini head and it’s the same as the 15w combo and didn’t like it. They use 6v6 tubes rather than el34’s. I guess I noticed the difference. Didn’t sound full enough to me.

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Are you dead set on it being a Marshall? If not, there are plenty of other combo's out there that sound great. I recently got an EVH 5150 iii 2x12 combo, and it crushes my DSL (not in outright volume but in tone, both clean and dirty). Attenuator built in so it sounds great at lower volumes. There are older used versions around for similar price as a used Marshall combo. When Peavey was making them they also had the 6505 combos, brutal gain but the clean side of the amp lacks.

I picked up a Roland Cube 20 last year, it's a pretty amazing little rig. Probably the best $150 or so I have spent on an amp!

0 Not allowed!

[QUOTE=gixxer72;1509678]Thanks, it is pretty rare to pull that kind of profit out of a flip. I bought it for stupid money, which was surprising give that it had "MADE IN U.S.A." stamped on the headstock...I've found it easier to buy guitars cheap, then trade them up when an opportunity comes and flip the more valuable guitar. The Warden says more need to go, along with 2 Marshall 1/2's. I love cash but I get attached to these things if they stick around long enough![/QUOTE

Pic of the latest flip. It was a weapon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)-bcr1-jpg  

0 Not allowed!

Good point on the DSL15. When we tracked we were using a 1960AV cabinet. I'm sure that helped a ton. Don't rule out the Orange mini's. My FAVORITE amp ever was a Rocket 12(offshoot of ADA??). Class A with a single EL35 and a couple ax7's. Best clean and took pedals like a ho!

0 Not allowed!
    Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

I can show a sound clip of a mixture of orange and marshall if I can edit it into this post.

Not working. I have a 25mb wav and mov file and neither will upload.

try this 10yearsofspitenewer by Jaysmusic | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Ok so this is just the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50W 15 years ago-ish on a 4 track cassette tape recording in an apartment mic'd with an sm58 equivalent mic through a 1960 cab low level. Drums are a drum machine. Any newer stuff I keep on the low. I have more older shit but don't care to share it.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Jayspeed; 10-20-17 at 01:45 PM.
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post
    I can show a sound clip of a mixture of orange and marshall if I can edit it into this post.

Not working. I have a 25mb wav and mov file and neither will upload.

try this 10yearsofspitenewer by Jaysmusic | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Ok so this is just the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50W 15 years ago-ish on a 4 track cassette tape recording in an apartment mic'd with an sm58 equivalent mic through a 1960 cab low level. Drums are a drum machine. Any newer stuff I keep on the low. I have more older shit but don't care to share it.

I remember the old 4 track days, lots of fun! Sounds good, what OD pedal were you using?

trim 5E600730 5402 44E5 A153 79FCC2AF41EC - YouTube

Here's a basic pentatonic lick played through a Roland cube recorded with an iPhone. The amp has great clean tone, reasonable digital effects and reverb. I like the style of them too. A friend who used to play Marshalls now gigs with one of the Cubes exclusively (line out or micd). They are a steal.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by gixxer72; 10-20-17 at 04:58 PM.

I remember the old 4 track days, lots of fun! Sounds good, what OD pedal were you using?

trim 5E600730 5402 44E5 A153 79FCC2AF41EC - YouTube

Here's a basic pentatonic lick played through a Roland cube recorded with an iPhone. The amp has great clean tone, reasonable digital effects and reverb. I like the style of them too. A friend who used to play Marshalls now gigs with one of the Cubes exclusively (line out or micd). They are a steal.
    No pedals or effects just straight up. Sounds good because it's analog. That cube sounds great.

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Another sample of the marshall same set up back in the day. Straight forward just mic'd. Different genre. All this shit is off an old tape played 1000 times, has had beer spilled on it etc...has survived. And then transferred to digital via my first cheap audio interface.fastrockblues1 by Jaysmusic | Free Listening on SoundCloud

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

So yes, Im set on a Marshall. Because I want a Marshall. I want something decent, but no more than 7-800 dollar range. Never going to be used outside my house, but I do want a little oomph because I use over ear hadphones with music playing so I need to hear the guitar over that.
    So from the recommendation, something like this would work: Access Denied
    I like the look of the stack rather than the combo. And yes, most of my decisions are being based on name and appearance only, just cause Ive always wanted one.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505