Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Cat herder

Re: Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Beautiful instruments! Those Hercules stands are the shit too. I have a handful of those and 1/2 dozen of their wall hanger type, bulletproof.
    I don't like 'em anymore. That rubbery plastic they use for the handles degrades and gets sticky over time. Nice design, not a fan of the materials.

I found a really nice folding stand at Sam Ash that I use now. Small enough to fit in a gig bag with ease.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
    I don't like 'em anymore. That rubbery plastic they use for the handles degrades and gets sticky over time. Nice design, not a fan of the materials.

I found a really nice folding stand at Sam Ash that I use now. Small enough to fit in a gig bag with ease.
    Are you talking about the release handle on the back of the stand for height adjustment? I bought my first one ten years ago, no issues although I rarely ever change the height since 99% of my guitars have strat bodies...

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Cool collection! Pic is kinda fuzzy...Is that a real lefty D-41 on the right? And what’s on the left, an OM-28? I’m not too versed on those sloped shoulder slotted headstock models like the one in the middle...the scale length looks absurdly long but I think it’s because it’s closer the camera than the other two.

You most definitely have and eye for Martin Guitars.

The OM28 and the D41 I special ordered for a lefty set-up. I bought the D41 with some regret because I'm into early country blues: i.e. Blind Blake, Big Bill Broonzy and of course Robert Johnson. I bought the OM 28 because it had a much wider nut than the D41. The OM28 I bought in 1996 and the D41 I bought in 1994. The one in the middle with a slotted headstock is a 0028VS (Vintage Series) I bought about 4 years ago. I wanted this one because the nut was still wider than the OM28 and more in style with early parlor guitars. Didn't have to special order that one. It seems as thought lefties are coming into there own as far as instruments go.

I actually contacted national/dobro for a lefty and they said they were game if I bought the Die to shape the body and other components. My response to them was if I buy the die I own it. They didn't agree. So You know where that went.

Wayne-o

Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

As far as a national, unless there is a cutaway, Im not clear on why the body shape would need to be different for a lefty. Granted with Martins, not only is the pick guard on the other side but the bracing inside would be all wrong if you flipped the strings from a righty guitar...but with (most, I think?) resonator guitars, the bracing, and/or soundwell, spider and cone are symmetrical so if you had a spider with removable saddle (like Beard makes) you could just swap out the saddle and nut from a righty, no?

Try one of those Martin CEO-7s if you get a chance sometime. 00 size, wider nut, mahogany back and sides with Adirondack spruce top...made for fingerpicking and very sweet. Both Carter and Gruhns have them in stock. I was at both shops for a few hours a couple weeks ago when I was down there for reso summit.

Edit: oops, in stock but probably not in lefty. Youve probably heard that answer a time or two before?

Last edited by Imbeek; 12-09-17 at 10:32 AM.

I stumbled across this:
    1 dude
    10 guitars
    13 t shirts
    70 tracks.

The ultimate in nerddom. So good.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

After breaking my thumb (and consequently not touching a guitar) and the temp rapidly changing and drying out, my old ass acoustic has some major issues. It’s been straight as an arrow my whole life (it was my grandmothers) and I picked it up yesterday and the fretboard at the body joint is up high enough to make the poor thing unplayable past the 5th fret.
    I tuned it down a full step and put it back on the hangar. In a couple days I’ll re-string it and tune it up and see where I’m at, but obviously, it’s devastating.

I’ll definitely bring it back and get it fixed proper, but I foresee a decent sized bill here.
    I’m simply amazed that a 66yr old guitar can have such a prompt change in less than 3 months, given that it’s been so stable for so long.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I know someone who will work magic on it. Ping me if you are interested. She's a pro and has decades of examples of serious repairs. That shit should be easy for her.

Plus she's pretty f'in cheap.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

What kind of guitar?

Best thing if no wood has cracked or glue joints have given way is to slowly get it back to proper humidity, using room humidifiers and probably one of those moisture contraptions that cover the sound hole and leave a moist sponge inside the guitar. Martin says to keep relative humidity around 50%, keep the guitar in its case, and DEFINITELY don’t hang the guitar on any (cold) exterior walls.

I’ve been having a hell of a time getting the moisture inside my wood stove heated house above 20% so I’m nervous this winter. Sold my CEO-7 a few weeks ago so at least I don’t have to worry about that one anymore but my Koa dobro and ‘72 D-18 are still concerning.

If it needs work, these guys seem to be the shit...6 out of 5 stars based on just one job I had them do: Becker & Cumpiano Stringed Instruments
    in Northampton, MA 01060

- MassLive.com

Both have ridiculous resumes, since the 70’s.

One other thing, it’s pretty common for acoustic players to keep a different height saddle in their guitar case to pop into the bridge during a swing swap for winter playability, and vice versa for summer. In other words, “flat top” guitars actually have a dome built into both the back and top, so that when winter dries out the wood, instead of cracking the top or back, the dome simply gets less domed, until summer when it swells back up again...so what you are describing (string interference at the rim of the guitar, which won’t move much relative to the top) might just be proper movement of the top, and all you need if that’s true is a ten dollar (taller) compensated bridge saddle to make the action right until the humidity comes back up in a couple months.

Last edited by Imbeek; 01-02-18 at 10:37 AM.

It’s an old Gibson arch top.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    It’s an old Gibson arch top.
    Ok, so same principle should apply, as far as action at the body joint getting too low due to designed-in arch reduction from dryness...but there ain’t no soundhole to cover with one of those guitar moisturizers.

Does that sound reasonable (that it’s natural movement, to be solved by adjustment either thru a different saddle, or in your case maybe raising the string height at the bridge if it’s adjustable), or do you see visible, naturally irreversible damage?

Last edited by Imbeek; 01-02-18 at 11:35 AM.

I see something different than your normal neck tension/truss rod relief.

I’m gonna have it looked at and see. It hasn’t suffered any trauma, per se.
    I tried, but my phone doesn’t do it justice with a pic.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post

Ive been having a hell of a time getting the moisture inside my wood stove heated house above 20% so Im nervous this winter.
    Holy shit that's dry! We've been averaging about 35%, I run a small humidifier on low in the studio to keep my guitars closer to 50%..

I got it up to a nice moist (LOL) 22% by putting a pot of water on the wood stove and running a humidifier for a few days, plus taking long hot showers unvented to the outside...but now its back to 20%. Maybe my gardening temp/humidity meter is wrong?

Im not thrilled with the sponge inside the guitar thing but i dont know what else to do. I also have forced hot air heat running alot during this cold snap to assist the wood stove. Im sure that doesnt help

it's hard to do the sponge thing with just F holes. I'm sure they make a "thing" for that, no?

Maybe I just detune it and put it in a trash bag for the winter in my old man's basement.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

it's hard to do the sponge thing with just F holes. I'm sure they make a "thing" for that, no?

Maybe I just detune it and put it in a trash bag for the winter in my old man's basement.
    D'addario makes a system that should work, it uses salt packets so no water in or near your instrument. There is a double pouch one that sits over the strings and hangs into the cavity, I'm sure you could make it work with the F holes..it's around $30.

The things that cover the round sound hole on a regular acoustic are so low tech, it’s not like they completely seal the box or even come close, so anything...like some fabric stuffed into the F holes...would do the same thing on an arch top, pretty much. Seems to me that the biggest problem is RAPID change in temperature or humidity, though, which is why I don’t really like the idea of the sponge thing as a remedy after the guitar is over dried. If it were used consistently all winter (like you are supposed to do, I guess, at least as suggested by the people who make those humidifiers) that’d be a different story.

I’ve been playing a ton of dobro lately, in three different bands plus some other groups, and most of the time I’m playing somewhere other than my house, so the instruments I take with me are getting absolutely tortured with both rapid temp and humidity changes. My main ax is made of thin, solid, unobtainium Koa, too...which only grows in Hawaii so it probably wonders wtf is happening even more than local woods when it’s 20 below windchill around here. Fuck, maybe I should start using my shittier laminated Gold Tone for away sessions during the winter.

With that arch top, if it were mine, I’d try to raise the humidity in my house gradually, and I’d raise the string height at the bridge to compensate for the arch getting flatter with the dryness to see if it would play ok, if I could do it without any permanent changes. No harm in having it checked out, obviously. I know you said it looks unusual when sighting the neck but I’m not sure exactly what you mean, since if the arch shrinks as it should, and the string height at the bridge is correspondingly lower that it was when set up (when it was more humid), the line of the fingerboard is going to look wrong. If the neck angle and relief stay where they were, but the fingerboard is glued to the guitar top that is moving, it’s gonna show a hump where the neck joint is.

I played guitar for probably close to 25 years before learning most of this stuff about movement in acoustic guitars, and that happened when I started looking into building some, plus buying old acoustics...like many people, I always thought the truss rod was a main adjustment option; turns out it’s very limited in what can be done with it (strictly changing relief between the neck joint and the nut), so most adjustment is done thru bridge/saddle height and radius, and to a much smaller extent the same things on the nut, and then if those can’t make it right, thru the actual neck set angle, which can range from no big deal for a bolt on neck, to a “probably not worth it unless it’s a valuable guitar” neck reset on older Martins and Gibsons.

On the flip side of all this acoustic guitar paranoia, there’s a reason older acoustic guitars sound better, and new highly expensive acoustics that are trying to mimic prewar guitars have the wood treated with temperature changes before construction, so I’m hoping that “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” applies to our instruments, assuming they don’t crack, twist, or warp. I’ve had water boiling on the stove for the last hour, for no reason other than my guitars, nonetheless.

ahhhh, well...

I took the plunge on a load lh250 parlor sized guitar. you know, for while I wait for my other one to soak up some of that stuff from the packets.
    It was just so cute and cuddly and not THAT expensive...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Update:
    Loar came and was returned immediately. The arch top survived with only a setup and is now living comfortably in a hard case with a humidifier. I grabbed an absolutely killer Epiphone dread shape for hanging on the wall in the living room for pretty much nothing. I cannot get over the sound and playability from a $99 guitar. It is insane.
    I got fired from the surf band, which easily is the strangest experience of my adult life.
    I’ve been jamming a little with some OG punk rock homies, playing some pretty loose stuff, think leatherface, hwm, husker du, jawbreaker.
    I have bad GAS for one of those new Marshall origin 50 combos that’s not out yet. I want it. NOW.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I bought a 60’s harmony rocket a few weeks back, from reverb.com. Gonna sell a cheap mandolin I have to a band mate and hopefully upgrade to a used Eastman md-315 mando from another jamming partner. After that, I’m thinking I’m done needing any instruments for a long while. I need to finish building a Martin d-28 kit that’s been sitting partially completed on my bench for over a year, and I have an invite from an excellent woodworker to join him in building another dobro...he has built about six already and they are very good...Not perfect, but the imperfect things are design issues that I can change. His craftsmanship and finishing are very, very good.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s good news about the arch top...what was wrong with the Loar?

Update:
    Loar came and was returned immediately. The arch top survived with only a setup... grabbed an absolutely killer Epiphone dread shape for hanging on the wall in the living room
    Wat?

I got fired from the surf band, which easily is the strangest experience of my adult life.
    You fucking prude. Don't tease us like that. Stop givin us blue balls & spill the deets.

Last edited by OreoGaborio; 03-01-18 at 08:47 PM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

The loar had 13th fret hump out the box.

Pete, if I knew the deets, I would share them. I was fired, via text, on some trumped up BS. High drama style, which is something I don’t really see at all in life.
    If they’d said “you suck at guitar” I’d have been like, “yeah, you got me.”
    It was like a bad breakup. I’ve purged my life of all things those guys, like a true bitter ex.
    Moving on.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Fuckin weak. Sorry, dude.

-Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Sure is. Ever been in a working band? Thats exactly how shit goes.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    As I said. Moving on. New-new already in the works.
    I escaped without stooping to any level whatsoever, so I’m happy about that.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I have bad GAS for one of those new Marshall origin 50 combos thats not out yet. I want it. NOW.
    Should be out in a couple weeks, its gorgeous! I love the power scaling and that the gain knob is also a pull switch for a clean boost. It would be cool if the boost was footswitchable (have not seen the amps pedal yet) The TILT feature is interesting, I cant wait to try one!! Seems like a screaming deal at $650