Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

iTrader Score

Re: Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Beautiful instruments! Those Hercules stands are the shit too. I have a handful of those and 1/2 dozen of their wall hanger type, bulletproof.
    I don't like 'em anymore. That rubbery plastic they use for the handles degrades and gets sticky over time. Nice design, not a fan of the materials.

I found a really nice folding stand at Sam Ash that I use now. Small enough to fit in a gig bag with ease.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
    I don't like 'em anymore. That rubbery plastic they use for the handles degrades and gets sticky over time. Nice design, not a fan of the materials.

I found a really nice folding stand at Sam Ash that I use now. Small enough to fit in a gig bag with ease.
    Are you talking about the release handle on the back of the stand for height adjustment? I bought my first one ten years ago, no issues although I rarely ever change the height since 99% of my guitars have strat bodies...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Cool collection! Pic is kinda fuzzy...Is that a real lefty D-41 on the right? And what’s on the left, an OM-28? I’m not too versed on those sloped shoulder slotted headstock models like the one in the middle...the scale length looks absurdly long but I think it’s because it’s closer the camera than the other two.

You most definitely have and eye for Martin Guitars.

The OM28 and the D41 I special ordered for a lefty set-up. I bought the D41 with some regret because I'm into early country blues: i.e. Blind Blake, Big Bill Broonzy and of course Robert Johnson. I bought the OM 28 because it had a much wider nut than the D41. The OM28 I bought in 1996 and the D41 I bought in 1994. The one in the middle with a slotted headstock is a 0028VS (Vintage Series) I bought about 4 years ago. I wanted this one because the nut was still wider than the OM28 and more in style with early parlor guitars. Didn't have to special order that one. It seems as thought lefties are coming into there own as far as instruments go.

I actually contacted national/dobro for a lefty and they said they were game if I bought the Die to shape the body and other components. My response to them was if I buy the die I own it. They didn't agree. So You know where that went.

Wayne-o

0 Not allowed!
    Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

iTrader Score

As far as a national, unless there is a cutaway, Im not clear on why the body shape would need to be different for a lefty. Granted with Martins, not only is the pick guard on the other side but the bracing inside would be all wrong if you flipped the strings from a righty guitar...but with (most, I think?) resonator guitars, the bracing, and/or soundwell, spider and cone are symmetrical so if you had a spider with removable saddle (like Beard makes) you could just swap out the saddle and nut from a righty, no?

Try one of those Martin CEO-7s if you get a chance sometime. 00 size, wider nut, mahogany back and sides with Adirondack spruce top...made for fingerpicking and very sweet. Both Carter and Gruhns have them in stock. I was at both shops for a few hours a couple weeks ago when I was down there for reso summit.

Edit: oops, in stock but probably not in lefty. Youve probably heard that answer a time or two before?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Imbeek; 12-09-17 at 10:32 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567