Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Re: Guitar geekery (and other musical whatnots)

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Should be out in a couple weeks, it’s gorgeous! I love the power scaling and that the gain knob is also a pull switch for a clean boost. It would be cool if the boost was footswitchable (have not seen the amps pedal yet) The TILT feature is interesting, I can’t wait to try one!! Seems like a screaming deal at $650
    there's a foot switch available for the boost function. not included, iirc.
    people on the web claiming ship dates keep getting pushed back towards the end of April and beyond.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Could be, American Musical is saying 3/11 but who knows...

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    After breaking my thumb (and consequently not touching a guitar) and the temp rapidly changing and drying out, my old ass acoustic has some major issues. Itís been straight as an arrow my whole life (it was my grandmothers) and I picked it up yesterday and the fretboard at the body joint is up high enough to make the poor thing unplayable past the 5th fret.
    I tuned it down a full step and put it back on the hangar. In a couple days Iíll re-string it and tune it up and see where Iím at, but obviously, itís devastating.

Iíll definitely bring it back and get it fixed proper, but I foresee a decent sized bill here.
    Iím simply amazed that a 66yr old guitar can have such a prompt change in less than 3 months, given that itís been so stable for so long.
    What brand is it? Didi you really get kicked out of an older surf band? LOL.

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

This is close to "we got to hang out sometime"

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

No milk will ever be our milk.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

This thread makes me want to learn to play. I don't think I posses that gene though. I tried the piano as a teen and that went poorly

0 Not allowed!

Make your own music!

0 Not allowed!

I've been on a Smashing Pumpkins bing for probably the 3rd time in my life. The Everlasting Gaze has the most bad ass bass line I ever heard. I cannot help but listen to the bass the entire song. It is so essential!

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Could anyone recommend a good repair shop / luthier in the Southern NH - Boston metro? I purchased a forum special bass (1992 Warwick Streamer) a while ago and only recently noticed that the truss rod nut is stripped. Of course, now the neck needs adjustment, so I'm SOL unless I can get that fixed. I could get the part from the manufacturer, but not sure I want to chance damaging something with my clumsy handiwork.

1 Not allowed!
    2004 SV650S

Mouradian.
    Place is top notch.
    Home

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

A bit off topic here, but if you have ever been a Judas Priest fan they just dropped the best album since Screaming for Vengeance last Friday, Firepower. Amazing production, and a great mix of riffs from various eras. Faulkner fucking brings it.

2 Not allowed!

Listening now. New record sounds great.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Could be, American Musical is saying 3/11 but who knows...
    Now it's 4/6. Sweetwater is listing the 50W head, but saying that wont be available until 4/20 and with the current demand they will only ship based on who pre-ordered. I am dying to try one, if it lives up to the hype it may replace (or join...) my DSL. Although, since I got the 5150 I haven't even taken the covers of my Marshalls!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Listening now. New record sounds great.
    Any thoughts after living with it for a few days?

#5 on Billboard 200, unreal. I love Faulkners contribution, itís almost like Randy Rhodes (sp? Iím embarrassed to have to ask) was writing the riffs/solos. I think itís the 2nd best album only to Vengeance. Miraculous effort for a metal band that turns 50 next year.

0 Not allowed!

Amelia Curran Julia. Gorgeous song! Don't know what the fuck you are talking about!

0 Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Quote Originally Posted by curiouser View Post
    Could anyone recommend a good repair shop / luthier in the Southern NH - Boston metro? I purchased a forum special bass (1992 Warwick Streamer) a while ago and only recently noticed that the truss rod nut is stripped. Of course, now the neck needs adjustment, so I'm SOL unless I can get that fixed. I could get the part from the manufacturer, but not sure I want to chance damaging something with my clumsy handiwork.
    Yoursmashmusic.com Derry nh on e Broadway. Pretty sure they repaired my dads guitar and the guy is really nice

0 Not allowed!

Based mainly on curiosity after stumbling across a YouTube video, I decided to roll the dice on one of the cheapest guitars I've ever bought...an ES 335 copy (not a counterfeit; no Gibson or epiphone branding) by Firefly. I had to keep watching for it on Amazon for a couple months because they sold out right after the YouTube video, and they are probably sold out again, but I imagine they will be available again. The you tube video was by maxwell something or the other...a fairly well spoken juiced metal head (LOL)

$139 shipped...I'm not saying it's the best guitar I've played, but for 139 shipped, it's absolutely ridiculously good. Needs nothing, perfect setup. Sounds, plays, and looks good. I can't really explain it, but after a lifetime of being a guitar geek, it's kinda sad to me that it's that good for that money. Seriously, I can't buy a decent pair of sunglasses for that...or chain and sprockets for my dirt bike...it barely buys one year's worth of dump sticker in my town.

1 Not allowed!

Link it up.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Link it up.
    YouTube

The guitar isn't showing up on Amazon again...I just searched occasionally and bought one as soon as it re-appeared.

0 Not allowed!

And a disclaimer, too: when I say it needs nothing, I haven't tried playing it at band practice or performance levels, and non wax potted pickups that scream with feedback at higher volumes are often an issue with cheap guitars...the you tube dude replaced the pickups in his (for $45!)

0 Not allowed!

I’d buy that if it comes up again. For sure.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

You get what you pay for. Best cheap guitar I bought is a Yamaha FG700S. Then again. I never bought a semi-hollow body.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Jayspeed; 04-08-18 at 09:53 PM.
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

As I said. Moving on. New-new already in the works.
    I escaped without stooping to any level whatsoever, so Iím happy about that.
    Sorry Chip, just catching up on this thread.

The BS is why my two high school friends/now band mates had their last band fail, even after winning a bunch of awards, big dedicated fan base, plenty of paying gigs, etc. Too much drama, arguing, in-fighting.

Now we've (I actually, through daycare of all places) finally found ourselves a drummer, and dude can fuckin HIT, so things are good. Had our first full 4 person jamz last night. Things are jelly so far. He's a metal guy, runs a big set, and is solid pumped about playing with us. The enthusiasm is appreciated.

The hard part now is getting me to stop doing all the rhythm holding for the group and work with the drummer instead. Playing once a week for the last 2-3 years with the same guys, and no drummer, had me as the bassist covering all the tempo holding. Without needing to do that now, it's opened up a lot for options. We've deconstructed our originals and began working on pieces of them with percussion. The progress is good so far.

Now I just need to find another cab to match my GK Neo 115. There is a Neo 212 somewhat local (to you south of boston people), but the price isn't low enough to have me take the 3.5 hour round trip yet. Besides, even with my 1 15" cab, I have stuff falling on my head when we get into it from the ceiling above. We are just DESTROYING our singers basement. It's great.

Love to spend the big muny and get a couple Mesa Subway 115's to match my amp, but I'm responsible like an idiot and can't afford that sorta expenditure.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

With any luck I'll never know the exact reasons I was let go, as literally, I have no use for people who behave like that in my life...it's too short as it is, and I'd just as soon spend my time with people that are decent humans, albeit somewhat less talented at their instruments, or should I say, talented in very different ways.

I've got a new, sort of adult punk rock thing going down. My personally goal is to record and press something before we play our first show. Songwriting is really pretty easy with this bunch even though it has a totally different feel.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

If ya get some musics in the digital realm, post them up. Love to hear it as a contrast to the videos of your prior group doin it's thing I've seen.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport