Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Guitar help

Re: Guitar help

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Nice guitar.
    Keep it in its case when you're not playing it and get a cheap-o case humidifier (and keep it full of water). As much as you might be tempted, don't hang it on a wall. It's no bueno for acoustic gitfiddles.
    Ye old archtop don't care.
    I should take better care of it, but it's survived 65 years of essentially neglect and still plays like a dream, sounds of complete sadness, and is straight as a goddamn arrow.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Ye old archtop don't care.
    I should take better care of it, but it's survived 65 years of essentially neglect and still plays like a dream, sounds of complete sadness, and is straight as a goddamn arrow.
    Yeah, I hang my electrics. Never had any issues. The Martin lives in its case.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Yeah, I hang my electrics. Never had any issues. The Martin lives in its case.
    I'm lazy. 25 year old Taylor is splitting from dry winters. New martin lives on a stand. Bad. I know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Actually just looked at the T5z. Nice guitar. I doubt the humidifier matters. I thought it was a standard acoustic. As you were.

0 Not allowed!

Ah, me too. Very nice. I'll take the light blue tiger/curly maple version please.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Paul_E_D; 11-29-16 at 08:14 PM.
    Paul_E_D

This one is a light carmel colored tiger maple. I think he bought it on the looks and thinking it was a good in between for his heavy electric and the Tekimine (SP?) which supposedly has a thick neck and narrow fret board which makes it hard for him to hit the strings. It didn't suffice well as he didn't like the thin body so went and got a nice Gibson and the Taylor just sat in the case. I was more interested in taking the Tek full acoustic but he wasn't interested in giving that one up, or should I say he didn't think I'd like it as much.

I have a decent tuner for it and it sits in its case. Between kid, dog, and wife (practicing for the vacuum cleaner demolishion derby) I don't want it out. So, should I be looking into a humidifier for it? My house gets pretty dry.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Do you read music? Do you want to? Are you interested in music theory? I took guitar lessons from a self-taught blues guy in high school. I learned to (barely) impress my friends with pentatonic scale wankage and barre chords. When I tried to actually learn something about music in college, the guitar was not a useful tool and I ended up switching to piano to get a fresh start. If I could start from scratch with guitar, I would go the classical route.

These books, from Berklee Press, are good:
    A Modern Method for Guitar - Volumes 1, 2, 3 Complete: William Leavitt: 9780876390115: Amazon.com: Books

1 Not allowed!

I took piano lessons for 6 years, played trumpet for 8 years, and concert tuba/marching Sousaphone for 5 years. I can read music fairly well.
    Thanks for re-affirming my thoughts on the classical avenue. That is what I was thinking of doing, it appears to lend a great basis for playing different styles of music.

0 Not allowed!

For anyone who just wants to play songs Chordie.Com is a great resource with chords and TAB for almost everything. Although I'm primarily a bassist, I use it all the time with my acoustic. With all of the musicians we seem to have here, I was wondering if others might be up for posting up links to recordings we've done. Might be fun to know who plays what.

0 Not allowed!

Alright... you guys have done it. I'm going to pick up a cheap acoustic. I have a ton of friends that play and I've always wanted to learn (I played a little back in middle/high school but didn't stick with it). It'll be a much more productive hobby to relax with at night instead of watching TV.

Just to start, is something like the Epiphones I'm seeing for ~$130 worth it just to test the waters? My only fear is it might be like mountain bikes where the cheap ones are so bad it almost discourages newbies from continuing.

1 Not allowed!

I'd recommend a seagull or even the new Mexican made Martins (DX1) for a first acoustic. @500 or so, they are actually great playing instruments.

3 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I'd recommend a seagull or even the new Mexican made Martins (DX1) for a first acoustic. @500 or so, they are actually great playing instruments.
    I'll 2nd this. Don't buy a cheap piece of shit. I own a Seagull S6 that I bought new for around $400 5 or 6 years ago. I love it. Made just across the border in Quebec with nice materials.

I decided to buy it after playing almost every guitar over $1,000 in GC's acoustic room and just not feeling the value of the higher end acoustics compared to the S6 for such short money.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I'm lazy. 25 year old Taylor is splitting from dry winters. New martin lives on a stand. Bad. I know.

Eh. I find that if I keep all my guitars in cases I don't play them. I keep my acoustic out on a stand all the time along with a couple electrics on stands. I have practice amps in 3 rooms of the house, and I rotate additional guitars on hangers ready to go. It drives my wife insane. For me, I have to have them out and readily accessible so I can just pick one up and jam for 5 minutes (which usually becomes a 1/2 hour or more). If the stuff is all put away I tend to just let the urge go and do something else.

It's also worth noting that if you are a tinkerer, guitars are super fun to mess with and set-up, modify, etc. Like bikes they can become addictive.

1 Not allowed!

This guy still has this one: Martin Custom X Series Acoustic-Electric Guitar w/ HSC

Sounds like a deal, looks like it goes for $599 new according to the googles.

Thoughts / things to look for if I go check it out?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    This guy still has this one: Martin Custom X Series Acoustic-Electric Guitar w/ HSC

Sounds like a deal, looks like it goes for $599 new according to the googles.

Thoughts / things to look for if I go check it out?
    That's a good price. I played a couple new ones when I was shopping, one had some pretty severe bridge lift so I'd look at that. Look for cracking, inspect the neck joint. Other than obvious visual defects with the body or next check the frets especially in the first position. A little dimpling isn't anything to worry about but if they are starting to flatten out or have dead spots from divots I'd pass. Not worth the price of a re-fret or a grind.

1 Not allowed!

Looks good to me. Price is right.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

To the OP, please start off with lessons from a qualified instructor. Proper technique make progressing to more difficult passages much easier!

To the guy thinking about the Epiphone, try yo find a PR5E. Plays like an electric, ie easy to play, but sounds great acoustic or plugged in just a little compressed. It's not a Martin(which I personally have no use for) or a Taylor(one of my faves along with the Seagulls) but they are a great value.

Ive put up a number of links to my bro's videos over the last few month. Keep in mind he's been playing daily for over 30 years and has toured and recorded a lot.

0 Not allowed!
    Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

I ended up picking up that Martin yesterday... way nicer than I probably need but seems worth every penny and sounds great. The case is like new and the guy threw in a capo, set of strings, and tuner as well. Looking forward to getting more comfortable with it. Have a buddy that gives lessons willing to help out as well.

1 Not allowed!

Sweeeet deal there.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Yeah I agree. Smart move!

0 Not allowed!

Question for you players,
    Is it natural to have a hard time playing chords at first? I have a pretty tough time getting my fingers to go where they need to especially in a manner to not touch the other strings. Playing normal notes is fine, but when trying to get the fingers to work together, nothing aligns properly.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Is it natural to have a hard time playing chords at first? I have a pretty tough time getting my fingers to go where they need to especially in a manner to not touch the other strings. Playing normal notes is fine, but when trying to get the fingers to work together, nothing aligns properly.
    Welcome to your new Hell.

1 Not allowed!

It's natural no to be able to do dick for the first few YEARS. lol.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    For chording it's important/helpful to get good form for your fretting hand locked into your motor memory early. Paul's right, except for the 'YEARS' part, but don't get discouraged. It's a lot tougher finding the time and motivation as an adult to log an hour a day practicing. If you do it consistently, you'll be surprised how fast you can progress.

0 Not allowed!

No, it's true. I was just bustin about how long it can take. You can master the basic open chords pretty quickly.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast