Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gun Safes

Gun Safes

So it's been a while since I've been in the market for a safe and I'm not sure where I should be looking for reasonable deals. The size of the "25" gun safes is about what I'm looking for but would entertain larger. I'm also looking for some degree of fire protection because I intend to store some other valuables in there as well. I have no problem with the buy once, cry once philosophy so I would prefer quality options.

What says the horde?

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Re: Gun Safes

Winchester 24 Long Gun Capacity Safe, Granite, Electronic Lock, 45 Minute Fire rating at 1,400 deg. at Tractor Supply Co.

Good compromise between a cheap, ultra thin gauge "safe" and a true safe. To get significantly better "security" than that you're looking at triple the price.

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

I have a Liberty (Franklin series) 35 gun and wish I went next size up. In a realistic interior configuration they don't hold as many long guns as advertised.

0 Not allowed!

I have a safe from Eastern Security Safe. I believe it's the Sportsman Deluxe 30. I've been happy with it. They tend to have a tent sale once a year at all their locations which I think is coming up and they have done group buys on Northeastshooters.com the past few years. They are made by Dakota Safes

0 Not allowed!
    James
    12 KTM SMR 450
    07 CRF 250R
    LRRS/CCS #79
    NEMM #79

GMD Computrack
    Diamondback Designs
    Robs Dyno

I bought a safe about a year ago and did a lot of research. What I learned is that if you want something that's tough to crack you have to spend a ton of money. There is no difference between cheap and mid grade in this regard. You have to go all out. What I also learned is that it's extremely unlikely that anyone will actually try to crack into it.

99% of the time criminals will try to take the entire safe out. If they can't take the safe, they simply move on. If they do try and crack the safe, they will flip it on it's back and try prying the door from the bottom. If they can't flip the safe (because it's bolted to the floor) then they will likely move on. If they are REALLY stubborn then the next step would be to send an axe through the side. Even with a thin safe this takes some work. The bottom line is these things take time and effort. Criminals like to be fast. We're talking about the real world here not Ocean's 11.

So in a nutshell the general rule is get something that's too heavy to move easily, AND bolt it to the floor. You don't have to spend a ton of money to achieve this criteria and personally, I think the dollars are better spent on a bigger safe because you always need more room than you think.

One thing that is worth protecting against is fire. Get something that's rated for a full hour at 1400 degrees, made with 10 gauge steel, and you should be good to go.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    I bought a safe about a year ago and did a lot of research. What I learned is that if you want something that's tough to crack you have to spend a ton of money. There is no difference between cheap and mid grade in this regard. You have to go all out. What I also learned is that it's extremely unlikely that anyone will actually try to crack into it.

99% of the time criminals will try to take the entire safe out. If they can't take the safe, they simply move on. If they do try and crack the safe, they will flip it on it's back and try prying the door from the bottom. If they can't flip the safe (because it's bolted to the floor) then they will likely move on.
    I spoke with a locksmith who does a lot of commercial safe work. Asked him how often safes were successfully broken into and he said “never.” In his experience, most safes were opened via “Inside Jobs,” where some manager with shady friends was fired from a restaurant, an open/shut log was not kept, no video surveillance, etc. Portable safes were not recommended for th3 reasons you outline.

We have limited space and have resorted to multiple, smaller safes. Those have to be secured.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Bill, give Brian (bbhzx10) a shout. First off I'm sure he'd love to catch up. Second he bought a pretty nice gun safe, at least it looked nice to me, and I'm pretty certain he did some research before buying.

1 Not allowed!
    LRRS NV #300

Bill - I've got a friend that owns a lock & safe company. He's down in South Boston, but spends most weekends in my neck of the woods. PM me if you'd like his name/number. He can get top of the line safes for prices most box stores get for their...well, you know...

1 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post

99% of the time criminals will try to take the entire safe out. If they can't take the safe, they simply move on. If they do try and crack the safe, they will flip it on it's back and try prying the door from the bottom. If they can't flip the safe (because it's bolted to the floor) then they will likely move on. If they are REALLY stubborn then the next step would be to send an axe through the side. Even with a thin safe this takes some work. The bottom line is these things take time and effort. Criminals like to be fast. We're talking about the real world here not Ocean's 11.

So in a nutshell the general rule is get something that's too heavy to move easily, AND bolt it to the floor. You don't have to spend a ton of money to achieve this criteria and personally, I think the dollars are better spent on a bigger safe because you always need more room than you think.

One thing that is worth protecting against is fire. Get something that's rated for a full hour at 1400 degrees, made with 10 gauge steel, and you should be good to go.
    ^^^this...it's all about time...just like that ex bike thief on reddit said...use multiple layers of protection which are time consumers for a thief...if it takes too long they will move on if they can't move it to a place where they have time to work on it safely...house cameras, alarm system, motion lights, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 03-05-18 at 08:30 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Bill, give Brian (bbhzx10) a shout. First off I'm sure he'd love to catch up. Second he bought a pretty nice gun safe, at least it looked nice to me, and I'm pretty certain he did some research before buying.
    Thanks Joel. We've been in touch through Facebook but I'll give him the 3rd degree about his safe purchase.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Bill - I've got a friend that owns a lock & safe company. He's down in South Boston, but spends most weekends in my neck of the woods. PM me if you'd like his name/number. He can get top of the line safes for prices most box stores get for their...well, you know...
    Thanks Jay! Check your PMs. I end up hating myself when I buy marginal tools/equipment so I'm interested in any way I can save money buying something of quality.

0 Not allowed!

I ended up with a 24 gun Stack-On or whatever from Dick's. It's absolutely fine for the intended purpose.

I didn't want to spend more on a safe than I've spent on firearms. It's bolted to the floor. If they wanted what was inside bad enough, then they would surely get to it eventually. And I'd get a check from insurance. So there's that.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

^ someone isn't thinking of the children.

0 Not allowed!

And then charge me for improper storage and refuse to renew my permit in Mass...

1 Not allowed!

That I cannot help you with. I (and the OP) are in NH.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That I cannot help you with. I (and the OP) are in NH.
    I’m jealous. Two places I’d love to live where they really hate people who move there from Mass: New Hampshire and Hawaii

(And Maine) (come to think of it, Mass ain’t really a place to brag about being from, anywhere on Earth, except maybe in a DNC meeting or something)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Children don't break into your house on a Friday night wielding a cordless grinder and couple of crowbars. And honestly I could give a fuck about those that do.

Not everyone is paranoid about losing their precious bed-mate to a break in. Take the fuckin' things. They have more just like 'em down at the store.
    No, but a lot of the guns the criminals get are stolen. My point was that Clayton's idgaf good enough approach could easily mean a 6 year old in Dorchester gets shot with it. If it saves one life right............

I guess solid and secure storage isn't "common sense" enough of a solution...its much better to ban the black weapons of war and raise the age to buy stuff that is used in a tiny fraction of homicide in this country instead.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 03-06-18 at 08:30 AM.

And back to the topic at hand, I'm not overly concerned about the theft of my firearms. None of the ones I have are that special and are certainly not irreplaceable. If I was only interested in keeping them out of reach of my children, I would have an inexpensive storage cabinet. I'm much more interested in the fire protection the better safes offer for the storage of other personal effects that I would like to protect. I'm talking 1600F for an hour or better. The side effect of proper fire protection is you end up with a heavy duty and expensive safe.

1 Not allowed!

also have to plan where to put it depending how heavy it is...and if it goes in a basement then i'm sure you'll need a dehumidifier for it

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Plan on a dehumidifier anyway. Also double check there's sufficient support. My glorified security cabinet is something like 500 lbs empty, never mind v with guns and ammo in it.

A real safe is a shit ton of weight in a concentrated area. Choose location wisely, it's not like it's easy to relocate if you don't like where you put it.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 03-06-18 at 09:17 AM.

This will be in my basement on a concrete floor so the weight isn't an issue. The bulkhead stairs that it needs to go down are also concrete. All the models I've been looking at come with an electric dehumidifier but I'd be throwing a desiccant bucket in there as well.

1 Not allowed!

I'm also surprised to see that gun safes are not taxed in MA.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    And back to the topic at hand, I'm not overly concerned about the theft of my firearms. None of the ones I have are that special and are certainly not irreplaceable. If I was only interested in keeping them out of reach of my children, I would have an inexpensive storage cabinet. I'm much more interested in the fire protection the better safes offer for the storage of other personal effects that I would like to protect. I'm talking 1600F for an hour or better. The side effect of proper fire protection is you end up with a heavy duty and expensive safe.
    A buddy of mine was a Fire Science major and a career firefighter. While having the gun safe discussion with him he commented that house fires generally don't see temps much beyond 1200 degrees and even then that's only in certain concentrated areas. Generally speaking temps will be lower.

The key is looking at how the safe's fire rating is determined. Some manufacturers have muddied the waters here. Make sure that whatever temperature being noted was sustained for the indicated period of time during testing. For example, some companies say "1200 degrees at 45 minutes" but it does not mean the safe was tested for 45 minutes at 1200 degrees. It means the temperature peaked at 1200 degrees at some point during the 45 minute period. On the other hand, you will find safes that specify that a given temperature was sustained for a given period of time. That's what you're looking for.

Also keep in mind that some safe companies will exaggerate the facts and try to scare you into a much higher rating than you actually need so don't get too hung up on the metrics. Just something in the middle of the spectrum and you'll be good.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    This will be in my basement on a concrete floor so the weight isn't an issue. The bulkhead stairs that it needs to go down are also concrete. All the models I've been looking at come with an electric dehumidifier but I'd be throwing a desiccant bucket in there as well.
    Unless you have Fort Knox, best advice I saw, build in multiple obstacles. Multiple doors with quality locks, hidden out of plain sight, tight space and even a dog, can deter the novice thief. A quality fireproof safe will be very heavy anyway. Lag it into the concrete - that will prevent them from at least carrying it away. A professional, they'll get it no matter what you buy, just a matter of how much time/ space you want to give them.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by 7470racer; 03-07-18 at 06:13 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast