Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

New handgun jamming....

New handgun jamming....

So I wanted a handgun that was more concealable than my USP compact. I didn't want one of those pocket .380s, a .32ACP or a .22 either. Last week I found a used AMT backup in .45ACP for a very reasonable price, so I bought it.

I did some reading up on the gun before buying it and saw that some complained of jamming problems. I wasn't too worried, since a decent gunsmith can usually take care of these problems. Well I put about 120 rds through it today. 100 FMJ and 50 Hydra-shok JHP. I figured I'd better try the defense rounds, just in case it wouldn't load them.

It usually didn't. About 1 in 8 rounds wouldn't chamber, on both types of ammo. It would fire fine, then jam the next round up against the top of the rear of the barrel. Or it would load the next round very slowly. My Desert Eagle used to stove pipe jam sometimes, and this looks like it's *almost* a stove pipe jam. I have a pic of it jammed and I'll attatch it. I'm thinking the round might be catching on the bottom of the ramp then "bouncing" up too high to load into the chamber.

Do you guys think that polishing the ramp would help? What do you use to polish a barrel ramp? I know modifying a firearm carries risks with it, and doing it wrong could spell disaster. But I want this thing to load right and know it wouldn't take much. Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

One of the former LRRS #13's

http://www.facebook.com/ChrisWatt762

JT42

New handgun jamming....

How many rounds have been through it total?

Maybe it just needs a new spring?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

New handgun jamming....

Doc's got a good idea. I usually go for the easiest/cheapest fix first. I'd investigate the spring/ramp area... maybe ink up the magazine and a cartridge (or beter yet, a snap cap) with Dykem or a permanent marker and cycle it through to see where the ink wears off...
    Good looking pistol, BTW.

New handgun jamming....

Thanks! Didn't even think of a recoil spring. Not sure how many rounds have been through it, it's used. AMT went out of business, I'm gonna have to search for parts I'm sure. It's really small, stings a bit at first shooting a 45 out of such a small frame. But once you're used to it, it's fine.

I'll source a spring and I'll try the ink trick, where should it wear off? What could I do to change it if it's not right?

Here's a pic of it next to my gf's USP compact.

JT42

New handgun jamming....

That thing is definitely concealable. I dig it.
    Before I replaced the spring, I'd just shim it to add some tension and run some rounds through. It may not be the spring... Does it always jam on the last round or two? That's usually a good indication it's a tired spring.

I'd look for the ink rubbing off consistently in one area... I had one AR mag that would never lock the bolt open on the last round. I inked it and it seemed that the last round was plowing into the ramp and the top of the mag. It wan't touching much else. Turned out the very top edge of the magazine was too tight. It wasn't letting the round up high enough... I filed the magazine down a couple of thou's on each side and all was well. Lot of "in's," lot of "out's," lot of "what have you's," you know? The ink isn't really going to tell the whole story... it may point you in the right direction, though... Just remember, remove metal cautiously

New handgun jamming....

Right, you can take it away. But you can't put it back. It's not just on the last one. It does it with all 3 magazines, with any ammo and randomly throughout the magazines.

It's the smallest .45 I've been able to find. It's DAO, and the trigger pull is pretty excessive, but my gf fired it just fine today. So I'm sold

as long as I can fix it.

EDIT: do you mean a magazine spring or a recoil spring?

JT42

Lifer

New handgun jamming....

I would have said recoil spring too. The desert eagles tend to go through them, I've seen the 50's jam up that same way when the springs wear.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

New handgun jamming....

My DE 50AE was brand new when I bought it, it jammed probably 1 out of 20 rounds. I read somewhere that you could pinch the magazine lips together a bit to take care of it. The 357mag and 44mag didn't have the problem. I'd like to get another one. After I get this........

Can't wait!!!

JT42

New handgun jamming....

You might try stretching the spring a bit and see if that works...short term fix unless you aneal it.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Lifer

New handgun jamming....

Quote Originally Posted by Stupidhawk007 View Post
    My DE 50AE was brand new when I bought it, it jammed probably 1 out of 20 rounds. I read somewhere that you could pinch the magazine lips together a bit to take care of it. The 357mag and 44mag didn't have the problem. I'd like to get another one. After I get this........

Can't wait!!!
    I think the spring just couldn't handle the power of the 50 cal recoil, and the spring wearing would add too it. I was having 1 or 2 in each clip jam when I rented it at the range, but of course those guns are poorly cared for.

Have you checked the operation of the clip closely? It's internals could be worn. Lots of people neglect maintnance on the clips.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Lifer

New handgun jamming....

Whats the difference between the ammo that worked and the ammo that jammed? If the grain count of the defense rounds is lower it might not be compressing the recoil spring enough and stiffening it will make the problem worse.

Since you bought it used - did you clean and lube the entire works? Also, Does it jam right out of the box, or more after a number of rounds have been quckly run through it?

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

New handgun jamming....

all of you guys scare me

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

New handgun jamming....

Examine the top of the magazines where it positions the round to be picked up.

Some times they open up after a while so the round is riding higher then
    it is supposed to,

Blending and polishing the end of the chamber is all good.

Though obvious.

Make sure gun is super clean then lube with dryslide or graphite.
    I also tried like using a rag to make the rounds a slight coat of oil like
    marvel mystery oil. Not wet just a sheen.

This being a small carry gun I doubt it has many rounds through it

A competition gun may be worn out but not this.

The hollow points may also be too hot for the stock spring

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

New handgun jamming....

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Whats the difference between the ammo that worked and the ammo that jammed? If the grain count of the defense rounds is lower it might not be compressing the recoil spring enough and stiffening it will make the problem worse.

Since you bought it used - did you clean and lube the entire works? Also, Does it jam right out of the box, or more after a number of rounds have been quckly run through it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupidhawk007 View Post
    It does it with all 3 magazines, with any ammo and randomly throughout the magazines.
    my vote is for a detail strip followed by a good clean & lube.

If that doesn't take care of the problem, I would then suggest that it might be an issue with the recoil spring.

New handgun jamming....

Nice to know to add you to the list of "Don't fuck with um cuz he carries a gun" list.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

New handgun jamming....

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post

It jammed with all the ammo, JHP and FMJ. I fully stripped it as soon as I got it home and cleaned/lubed it very well. It was having trouble ejecting the spent shells a bit too, but I fixed that today by modifying the ejector hook a bit.

It is clean and lubed properly, I have lots of firearm experience and have never had a problem with any of my guns till this one. Look it up, the AMT backup is kinda known for jamming, I just want to fix this one. I know it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by rmbbikes View Post
    Nice to know to add you to the list of "Don't fuck with um cuz he carries a gun" list.

KB
    I've been carrying for years! It never stopped you before!

JT42

New handgun jamming....

Quote Originally Posted by rmbbikes View Post

KB

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

New handgun jamming....

Removed some material from and polished the ramp up a shitload, chambers PERFECTLY now! I can't wait to fire it, hopefully it's no longer a POS.

JT42

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

New handgun jamming....

Where were you the afternoon of the drunkathon?

MMMMMM GGGGuuuunnnnns

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers