Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Happy homeowners pickup

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Happy homeowners pickup

I know a lot of folks on here have pickup's and I have been out of the truck scene for quite a while. Seems like a good place to ask, what is the best 1500, 4x4, 4 door from the past few years? Tossing around the idea of trading/selling my 2015 WRX, no one in the family is overly thrilled with the WRX and we could use the added utility of a truck. I would be looking for a 2015 or 2016 used truck.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Happy homeowners pickup

I have a '16 Tundra, and had a '14 before that. Nice trucks, plenty of power but a little tough on fuel. I've seen and ridden in a couple of these with 100k and more on the clock, the doors still shut nice and not much seemed to have fallen apart.
    I'm not really sure anyone makes a bad truck right now, I know people with GMs and Fords that are happy.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    //Tossing around the idea of trading/selling my 2015 WRX//
    That's crazy talk!

I lose access to the company cargo van soon so I'm toying with the idea of a pickup as well.

0 Not allowed!
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score

My brother just went through this, ended up with a Ford. He loves it. Packed with all the electronic goodies, drives like a champ and plenty of room for his saint bernard and all his toys.

He was a devoted Chevy guy but in the end he just found a better deal on the Ford and it won him over. So now me and two of my brothers have Fords. My step-dad got a 2015 Chevy last year - same reason, just found the best deal on it - belonged to some old guy that trades in for a new truck every 1-2 years. Haven't heard any gripes about any of the newer trucks, seems like a lot of it comes down to what deals are out there.

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I have a '15 Silverado 1500 ex-cab. It's got 4 doors but the rear bench isn't a full space like the bigger quad-cab. But man, it sure seems close. These newer "extended" cab full-sizers are really roomy inside. Mines a 4WD with the 5.3L and LT trim. I like it a lot. A whole lot. Like way more than I even thought I would. I've slammed over 27k miles onto mine in the first year of ownership. Super comfortable. Super quiet. Luxury car like ride with the utility of a pickup. The interior is very comfortable and has ever amenity I wanted plus a few. Tows great.

Fuel mileage isn't bad. I average 18-19 across the board according to my fuel log. Worse this time of year and (much) better in the summer. I've seen 22-23MPG tanks doing all highway @ 70MPH. But then I've seen 16-17MPG tanks towing my enclosed trailer. I'm returning 18 and 19 MPG tanks right now.

Downsides are it is mammoth and a bitch to park, especially in the city, even with the parking aids. Turning radius blows. Supposedly the electric power steering is known to fail. Mines been fine but I've run into two guys that had theirs fail. Ride is a little meh but better than most full-sizers I've driven. I think the Ram 1500 was a bit nicer still. Steering feedback on these newer GMs is way, way better than the numb handling of the older trucks. Transmission is slow and dimwitted at times. This is my first automatic since sometime in the 1990's.. so I may just be being overly sensitive here.

Get one with the back up camera; it's tities. Bluetooth integration is slick too. And I'd try to aim for a Z71 as it adds a limited slip diff, which helps in the winter. I think some of the tow package equipped and/or special order axles have the diff too. But I never figured out how to tell. Z71 has it for sure.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 01-01-17 at 04:23 PM.

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

I have a 2016 Silverado with the big crew cab. It is simply awesome and roomy as hell inside. 5.3 liter gets 21 mpg o the highway. Reminds me of the old school station wagons room wise inside.
    It has so many options I can't remember them all but it just rocks.You can't go wrong. I almost got the F-150 as well just got a better deal on the Chevy.
    The Ford was really impressive as well.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for all the info.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Can't go wrong with ford or chevy.

I've had a couple of Avalanches now and I like the midgate feature.. too bad they don't make it anymore.

If I were looking for a new truck, I'd give consideration to the Colorado.

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Silverado wins for me. It doesn't have class leading power, probably not the plushest interior, and may get edged out in towing capacity. That said, it does all of those thing very well and none should really be a limiting factor. The 5.3 is an absolute sweet heart motor, definitely delivers best in class economy. As Colin said, add Z71 for the locking rear diff. Also, that step they cut into the rear bumper corners is a nice touch. Super useful, unlike the Ford "man step" of old.

It also helps you can generally get $8-10k off of the sticker price.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

About 6 months ago I decided I wanted out of my Audi S5 and into a pickup. I started the 'Toyota Tundra questions' thread as I was intrigued by them. Drove a few, liked them. Started shopping used ones and realized I could get a better equipped F150 for way less money. Ended up with a 2008 F150 and cant be happier.

This is my 2nd F150 and I am very pleased. Good luck!

0 Not allowed!
    Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

iTrader Score

this thread has prompted me to look at current offerings n the manufacturers websites

nobody makes what would be ideal for me anymore, I don't like the current 4 door layout, I have no need for a back seat, just a regular 3 passenger bench up front, short suicide doors for access to an interior cargo area (50-60 cu ft )in the cab and an 8 foot stepside bed

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

They haven't offered step side beds on anything since the 90's. Manufacturers figured out that in order to sell the step sides, the owners would be required to be equipped with a mullet as standard equipment.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    iTrader Score

For a 1/2 ton, the key for me would be serviceability under the hood. Some 10ish year old Fords are just awful to maintain. Not sure how they are now. GM LS motors seem easy to work on. My Duramax, however, is pretty bad.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

2011 Silverado here and not a single issue............Love mine

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

For the first time in my life, I bought back-to-back. That is, I traded in my incredibly reliable 2008 4-door Silverado with 175,000 trouble free miles for a brand new 2016. That says a lot if you know me...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Mine is over 150K......

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Tacoma x-runners get the ladies.

0 Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

iTrader Score

I have a gmc sierra 1500 slt "all terain" with the 6.2. It's great on gas 18-20mpg regularly and the 420/460 hp/to is awesome. The interior is nice and the gps and stereo work well and are user friendly. The downsides are that I've had some weird vibrations occasionally (known as the Chevy shake if you want to google it) and the brakes need new rotors at 25k miles. The fords with the ecoboost were my second pick when I bought it. Toyota is great but the mialage sucks. For work the company gave me a 2014 ram 2500. I would never buy one for many reasons after commuting and working with it.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by maxim_X; 01-03-17 at 09:24 AM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    Tacoma x-runners get the ladies.
    To drive them.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    iTrader Score

after we bought our house i found myself borrowing my dads f150 more and more. dump runs, picking up supplies at home depot or lumber yard, hauling brush etc. i leased a 16 Taco (4 door short bed) mostly because i couldnt afford a full size truck. next one may be a long bed although the short one has worked fine for me so far. wish the space between the wheel wells was a couple inches wider (measures 42") because a sheet of plywood doesnt quite rest on top of the wheel wells. 3" more on each side would allow a 4x8 sheet to sit flat on the floor. there is a cut out in the top of wells (there is a similar cut out at the back near the tailgate as well) to put a "bridge" across using a 2x8 that would allow you to lay sheets of ply or drywall in.
    back seat isnt horrible. drove 4 adults down to foxboro last year for SX with no real complaints. lots of storage behind and under the back seats.

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 KTM 690SM /03 KTM 300EXC
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calaboogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    For a 1/2 ton, the key for me would be serviceability under the hood. Some 10ish year old Fords are just awful to maintain. Not sure how they are now. GM LS motors seem easy to work on. My Duramax, however, is pretty bad.
    Wasn't there an issue with 5.4's spitting out spark plugs, which were hard to service?

We only bought vans at work but have had better luck with GM than Ford. But rented an aluminum body F150 in TX and it really is a game changer. GM won't have more aluminum for a year or two, apparently.

0 Not allowed!
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

yes, the ~04ish and older Ford 5.4's had very few threads in the head holding in the spark plugs, so they would either wiggle loose and pop out, or just blow through the threads. The plugs are pretty deep in the well and has a fuel rail in the way so it's not impossible, but a little bit of a pain to work with. There are kits out there to re-tap it, and mechanics I've used have the kit already. Heli-coil + check the torque and you'll be fine. AFAIK, the newer F150's have thicker/more threads in the head to hold the plugs

just do yourself a favor, and if you want a nice truck get a newer (14+) truck and skip the early 2000's....technology/power/comfort have come quite a long way. You gotta be like me and be okay with older stuff in exchange for it being cheap from an initial purchase and depreciation standpoint. The gas mileage on older trucks is definitely gas guzzler status though.

to the OP - no personal experience on '15 MY besides driving in a few. They are all pretty good. Pricing is the big difference and F150's seem to more often be cheaper.

@ Randyo - you just need a regular cab/long bed truck. The newer regular cabs have way more space behind the seats than the older trucks. Dunno about that stepside though...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-03-17 at 12:15 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    2007 Suzuki DL650
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram/snapchat @cali2smoke

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    yes, the ~04ish and older Ford 5.4's had very few threads in the head holding in the spark plugs, so they would either wiggle loose and pop out, or just blow through the threads. The plugs are pretty deep in the well and has a fuel rail in the way so it's not impossible, but a little bit of a pain to work with. There are kits out there to re-tap it, and mechanics I've used have the kit already. Heli-coil + check the torque and you'll be fine. AFAIK, the newer F150's have thicker/more threads in the head to hold the plugs

just do yourself a favor, and if you want a nice truck get a newer (14+) truck and skip the early 2000's....technology/power/comfort have come quite a long way. You gotta be like me and be okay with older stuff in exchange for it being cheap from an initial purchase and depreciation standpoint. The gas mileage on older trucks is definitely gas guzzler status though.

to the OP - no personal experience on '15 MY besides driving in a few. They are all pretty good. Pricing is the big difference and F150's seem to more often be cheaper.

@ Randyo - you just need a regular cab/long bed truck. The newer regular cabs have way more space behind the seats than the older trucks. Dunno about that stepside though...
    So the 2V 5.4 engines had 2-3 threads on a couple of the cylinders holding the spark plugs. The rest of the spark plug threads were in the cylinders where they would accumulate carbon and such. When you backed out the plug to change them, the carbon usually shredded those couple aluminum threads in the head and then there was little holding in the new plug. They would just blow right out taking the remaining AL threads with it.

The 3V engines were thicker but had a strange electrode that reached down through the head into the cylinder. that little electrode dongle would break off when you tried to remove it. Ford actually had an extraction tool that the dealers could buy to use to remove that electrode. Now given the back two cylinders where under the hood cowl with little to no room to work, the process is a nightmare.

OP, I don't know what you are hauling/carrying/towing, but honestly I'd look at a Ridgeline. More than enough for most, good gas mileage, driveability, not overly large, etc. I drive an older Avalanche and while it has awesome utility, I wish I'd have looked closer at something like a Ridgeline.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Wow damn...That!

The only issue on newer trucks is figuring out if they have design flaws like that Ford 2v/3v head...Only time will tell

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    2007 Suzuki DL650
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram/snapchat @cali2smoke

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post

but not that great access, a full size version on my old Ranger XLT would be perfect

looking at options available today, from the factory, I would buy a cab & chassis and have a custom built pickup bed

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast