Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Happy homeowners pickup

Re: Happy homeowners pickup

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Mythbusters debunked all that didn't they? An empty bed w/ gate up makes the air swirl behind the cab, then most of the air glides over the air "trapped" in the bed.
    That they did. The airflow becomes turbulent as it separates from the top of the cab. This creates a low pressure area in the bed (the trapped air).

The easiest transition of separation, or more laminar airflow, which is really what reduces drag, comes from shapes closest to a tear drop.

The tonneau cover has a neglible effect since the greatest drag is caused as the air leaves the cab and rejoins the slipstream.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 01-12-17 at 12:30 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Chevy Voltron: It's yer heater.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    That they did. The airflow becomes turbulent as it separates from the top of the cab. This creates a low pressure area in the bed (the trapped air).

The easiest transition of separation, or more laminar airflow, which is really what reduces drag, comes from shapes closest to a tear drop.

The tonneau cover has a neglible effect since the greatest drag is caused as the air leaves the cab and rejoins the slipstream.
    Over all the years of owning a pick-up truck, I have also yet to see any improvement in fuel economy leaving the tailgate down. A bad side to constantly leaving your tailgate down? Ever see an older truck that has the bed sides all cambered out? Wonder how long they've been running without a tailgate...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

There' s a lot that goes into reduction in fuel mileage in the winter. Two of the biggest are winter fuel blends and increased wind resistance due to denser air. Also, did you inflate your tires once it started getting cold? And of course, if you let the thing idle for a half hour every morning like my wife, you might burn a little more fuel.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Colder air = more fuel needed
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    + winter fuel blend
    + may more reasons

colder denser air has more wind resistance
    colder tires don't flex as well and have more rolling resistance
    colder grease in axles has more rolling resistance
    as well as generally more warm up time and other things that I have forgotten

each relatively insignificant independently, but they add up

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Chevy Voltron: It's yer heater.
    I had a VW Bus with a gas heater in it, but someone riding with me once said "jees, that's just like a wood stove" the dash would get so hot, you could get burns if you kept your hand on it too long (not a modern padded dash, an old metal one)
    Mileage in the high 20's in the summer would drop as low as 4-5 in -25 weather

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 01-12-17 at 01:12 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

+ More NESR posts to carry around

0 Not allowed!

Mythbusters debunked all that didn't they? An empty bed w/ gate up makes the air swirl behind the cab, then most of the air glides over the air "trapped" in the bed.
    I'll go out on a limb and say the 1989 2wd 4cyl shortbed Ranger they used is a bit different than my 2010 4x4 V8 extended cab Tundra.

I would want to repeat the test with like vehicles.

0 Not allowed!

I do notice less turbulence going down the highway at 65 with the cover on vs. not.

0 Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and say the 1989 2wd 4cyl shortbed Ranger they used is a bit different than my 2010 4x4 V8 extended cab Tundra.

I would want to repeat the test with like vehicles.
    A neighbor has a '12 F250 something-or-other and says he sees no difference with or without his cover on. Sometimes it's a mile or two better, sometimes a mile or two worse. Naturally it's damn near impossible to duplicate exact driving conditions etc., but he CLAIMS there's generally no difference...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Just watch next time there is light rain, which lets you see where the air is going.

Or just read about GM's tests.

A long-disputed topic among truck owners is whether a tailgate raised or lowered is better for aerodynamics, but Bloch says a tailgate in the up position is more aerodynamically efficient. As air flows over the truck, it falls over the cab and pushes forward on the rear of the truck. With the tailgate down, the benefits of that airflow are diminished.

Replacing the tailgate with an aftermarket net is worse than having no tailgate at all,” Bloch said. “Imagine dragging a solid object and a fishing net through water. The net is going to require more muscle.”

So what accessories can truck owners add to help aerodynamics? Tonneau covers for the bed help smooth airflow over the truck, and Bloch says soft covers are more beneficial than hard covers because they form to how the air wants to flow. Running boards can also help air flow smoothly down the truck’s sides.

“Round, tube-style running boards can provide a minor improvement to the truck’s drag coefficient,” said Bloch, “Fully integrated, flush-mount running boards are even better.”
    Or the same answer from Ford.

Or Dodge.

Dodge aerodynamic engineers, like those at the other pickup manufacturers, agree.

“Our wind tunnel data falls in line with industry conclusions – that the tailgate down configuration is significantly higher in drag than the tailgate up (around 2-3%),” says Mark Gleason, Supervisor / Aerodynamics at the DaimlerChrysler Scientific Labs and Proving Grounds.

“Although it seems counter intuitive, having the tailgate up acts somewhat like a deck spoiler on the trunklid of a race car. The tailgate actually raises the pressures on the rearward facing surfaces of the pickup cab and the forward surface of the bed, thereby lowering the drag of the vehicle,” explains Gleason.

“Testing conducted by SAE confirms this condition, estimating an increase in vehicle drag of 2-3% with the tailgate down. Testing also shows that, counter to advertised claims, mesh tailgate replacements will degrade vehicle drag even further.”

- See more at: Tailgate Down Myth | Medium Duty Work Truck Info

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-12-17 at 04:54 PM.

the same reason a golf ball is more aerodynamic than a ping pong ball, the bed is one big dimple

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    A neighbor has a '12 F250 something-or-other and says he sees no difference with or without his cover on. Sometimes it's a mile or two better, sometimes a mile or two worse. Naturally it's damn near impossible to duplicate exact driving conditions etc., but he CLAIMS there's generally no difference...
    My point is, I'm not one to assume all trucks will have the same results based off what one episode on some TV show said. Far too many variables, as you've already alluded to.

1 Not allowed!

Mythbusters gets so many basics wrong in most shows that I put zero credibility into anything they 'prove.'

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Aaaand, it's winter on NES....

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    the same reason a golf ball is more aerodynamic than a ping pong ball, the bed is one big dimple
    Actually, the dimpled golf ball is not more aerodynamic, in fact it is slightly less aerodynamic. The dimples simply help the ball's spin create more lift during flight. While a smooth golf ball will not fly as far as a dimpled, it isn't the aerodynamics, it's the lift created. The dimples will give the ball a different trajectory also and keep it better under control in a straight line whereas a smooth ball will "wander" a bit.

1 Not allowed!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Hey I rode today! Happy homeowners pickup

3 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Actually, the dimpled golf ball is not more aerodynamic, in fact it is slightly less aerodynamic. The dimples simply help the ball's spin create more lift during flight. While a smooth golf ball will not fly as far as a dimpled, it isn't the aerodynamics, it's the lift created. The dimples will give the ball a different trajectory also and keep it better under control in a straight line whereas a smooth ball will "wander" a bit.
    You're both half right.

How do dimples in golf balls affect their flight? - Scientific American

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Also winter on NESR. Although I could use a bit more cold, this rain is harshing my ice mellow.

0 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Also winter on NESR. Although I could use a bit more cold, this rain is harshing my ice mellow.
    But think of the glass you'll be able to ride on when it freezes

0 Not allowed!

love it when the nesr thread derailment is organic and natural

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    "Turbulent boundary layer that clings to the surface". That goes against much of what fluid dynamics principles state. Laminar flow typical is seen as that clinging to the surface, hence high performance boats will lightly sand the surface of the gel coat so the water has less adhesion. I know what they are trying to get to, less tail length and less low pressure behind the ball. I'll stick with what I said.

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I just got a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 double cab all terrain edition and I love it. They have some crazy incentives, minimum 20% off. I lease mine, $50K truck and I am only paying $450/ month, including taxes, no money down on a 39 month lease

0 Not allowed!

5.3 or 6.2?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    I just got a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 double cab all terrain edition and I love it. They have some crazy incentives, minimum 20% off. I lease mine, $50K truck and I am only paying $450/ month, including taxes, no money down on a 39 month lease
    Mileage allowance?

0 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast