Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Happy labor day.

Re: Happy labor day.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    I do. Lots of very interesting technology out there.

No fine lines there. My job involves helping productive (or potentially productive) companies cope with government bureaucracy in order to be allowed to make good products.
    Why do you think I have such contempt for bureaucracies? I am far too familiar with them. (NB: It's not the government bureaucracies that I work for, or that put any money in my wallet.)

PhilB
    Your client's conflict with said agencies puts money in your wallet, so they most certainly help you earn a living, as a matter of clarification.
    Why do I think you hate beaurocracy(ies)? Because I've read volumes of your posts in various political threads.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Your client's conflict with said agencies puts money in your wallet, so they most certainly help you earn a living, as a matter of clarification.
    Why do I think you hate beaurocracy(ies)? Because I've read volumes of your posts in various political threads.
    Right, sure. ANY job that involves solving ANY sort of problem or conflict could be said to have the problem or conflict "be putting money in the wallet". That does not even imply that one has to like or have a good opinion of whatever the problem is, or the source of the conflict. I would GLADLY refocus on quality efforts that are mainly about actual best quality of products, instead of quality efforts that mainly about not getting in trouble with bureaucrats.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I fortunately have a job I love that pays pretty decently. I am a "Fuels Distribution System Operator" at Westover Air Reserve Base. Mostly jet fuel but I do a little work with diesel, gasoline, liquid oxygen, and liquid nitrogen. We are a small 8 person shop covering 2 shifts and weekends, so each of us handles receiving product by truck and pipeline, storage, transferring from bulk storage to hydrant tanks, issuing to aircraft, maintenance on our vehicles(though we also have a dedicated mechanic), and lots of other little things that nobody sees like draining water from containment dikes and fuel pits. Additionally, I run the lab that tests the fuel for quality, which eats up most of my time at work.

We get a lot of down time once all the work is caught up and nobody wants fuel, so we can cruise the internet, read a book, watch a movie. It's very fulfilling work too. I've refueled some pretty cool jets from Pakistani F-16s, to the F-22, to AC-130s, to Air Force One. As I prefer tropical climates and hate cold weather, and have no family within 10 hours of here, the job is pretty much the only reason I am in Mass.

If you have kids interested in military service, I highly recommend Air Force Fuels as a job choice. It's a career field that treats all current and former troops as family. If my car breaks down near an Air Force base while traveling I can call the fuels shop and someone will be out to help.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    Exactly lol.

I'm burned out on being burned out honestly. I made a conscious effort to take a ton of time off in the next year though. Hunting in colorado next week, two cruises in 2018, and possibly more. Hopefully that helps.
    Damn straight it will! I totally lost perspective in my 20's and worked myself nearly to death. Took something I loved to do (write code/build businesses/create things) and turned my passion into a chore. These days I make some time for fun no matter what the perceived cost. Life's too short.

Winter is coming though and itching to start something new on the side...

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I took a 4 day weekend back in 2009, does that count ?

it was long enuf to spend a day in the Ozarks exploring the twisties, ride 1500 miles there on a Saturday, exploring 600 miles of awesome twisties on Sunday, then 2000 miles over the next 2 days to get back to work in NH
    4 days, luxury!!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    My official title is a CNC Swiss screw machine mechanic, but I mostly design tooling and processes for the CNC and cam screw machines. It's pretty cool to see something go from a print to in your hand after designing everything for it.
    My wife is starting a new career in CAD and had her first design come to life this year. She was SO excited!

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    amen to that ... 22yrs in the print > web > app > whatevs industry with 12yrs+ as an independent visual + experience design consultant ... i love it ... but the switch NEVER goes off, ever
    Haha, pretty much. Even on my days "off" I literally choose camping sites that have cell service so I can check work email in case of "emergency". Bah...

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Why do you think I have such contempt for bureaucracies? I am far too familiar with them, and how long it takes to get through them, and how many people die waiting for the bureaucracy to decide they are allowed to buy cures or treatments for what ails them.
    (NB: It's not the government bureaucracies that I work for, or that put any money in my wallet.)
    Having worked some with gov and plenty of big biz there is just no escaping the slow, blind, crushing plod of organizational bureaucracy... while some of it is necessary I feel like a lot of it comes down to employees getting lazy when they don't feel personal accountability or any sense of urgency around their work. It's like this inevitable culture of apathy that comes along with just being another cog in the machine.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

xxaarraa

I like this thread, nice idea OP. Interesting to see what NESRians (NESRites? NESRers?) do in real life.

So far I see a lot of hands-on working with hands engineering-types or IT/web developers. Do we have any doctors or lawyers on here? The pie-chart of the type of professions attracted to NESR and it's activities will be an interesting view.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 09-05-17 at 06:55 AM.

Professional douchebag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I make it so people can complain on the internet.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Damn straight it will! I totally lost perspective in my 20's and worked myself nearly to death. Took something I loved to do (write code/build businesses/create things) and turned my passion into a chore. These days I make some time for fun no matter what the perceived cost. Life's too short.

Winter is coming though and itching to start something new on the side...
    Snowmobile time!

This trip next week has one major upside... no cell service. Period. For 6 days straight. Pure bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    and for that.. we thank you.

Mechanical Engineer turned technical sales guy for a company that does military instrumentation

-Matt

I'm another guy in the design/development world, originally doing UI/UX work for tech companies. I freelanced for a long time, mostly working with early stage start ups. The last few years I've been doing more consulting and marketing work for a couple different powersports dealerships. Also currently spec'ing out an industry specific CRM with a dev friend of mine, since most of the current options are god awful.

I surf NESR, dream of riding motorbikes and occasionally make stuff that lets people like Iglu and Kurlon make it so people can complain on the Internet.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    ... occasionally make stuff that lets people like Iglu and Kurlon make it so people can complain on the Internet.
    So you make carburetors? Cool.

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    ...and post cat memes?

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Efficiency engineer. But when I grow up, I want to be a Ducati...

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Electronics engineer. Currently "manage" maintenance and facilities for the company I work for. Mostly I fix broken machinery and printers. When my janitor is on vacation I'll clean toilets and take out trash. Also, I work with Degsy which is OK I guess.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12