Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49

Heat on for the season...

  1. #26
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,880

    Re: Heat on for the season...


    Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Best investment I’ve made in cold weather gear is mitts. Total game changer. I can keep everything else warm, but even with winter gloves in the freezing wind my fingers turn to ice. Along with heated grips I got my DR out a ton last winter! Only downside is feeling like my hands are cuffed to the bars.
    I don't feel like ~45* is cold enough for muffs just yet.

    But yeah, when the weather drops down to 30* or below, I also have a set of Barkbuster Blizzards I throw on. Those, heated grips, heated seat, heated gloves, heated base layer, heated socks, thermal bottoms and a balaclava makes riding in sub freezing weather very cozy! I've ridden as low as 15* in comfort. I worry more about black ice at those temps, though, and my bike doesn't like to start that low either (it sits outside right now).

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 09-12-19 at 06:10 AM.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

  2. #27
    Lifer nt650hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    7,345

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    i have practically new heated vest for sale

    0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

  3. #28
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    13,003

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I guess I could wear my snowmobile gloves!
    imho, snowmobile gloves are awkward on a motorcycle, they are designed for thumb throttle, you wouldn't notice the difference maybe on a short ride

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  4. #29
    ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ma
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,274

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    i have my AC's still blasting at night, your heating bill is gonna be astronomical.

    don't you own sweatpants and a sweatshirt?

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #30
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,731

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    don't you own sweatpants and a sweatshirt?
    He's Greek, all he owns are sweatpants and sweatshirt.

    3 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  6. #31
    Posting Freak BSR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    906

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    I never understood holding out until the last minute to turn on the heat. Maybe it's because we have an efficient house, but the needle doesn't move on our propane until November regardless of when we turn the heat on. That being said it costs almost nothing to keep the house warm in fall temperatures.

    Set the thermostat at a comfortable temp, let the heat run when it needs to (which isn't much). Is holding out really worth minimal amount you save over the course of two months?

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #32
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    13,003

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    I never understood holding out until the last minute to turn on the heat. Maybe it's because we have an efficient house, but the needle doesn't move on our propane until November regardless of when we turn the heat on. That being said it costs almost nothing to keep the house warm in fall temperatures.

    Set the thermostat at a comfortable temp, let the heat run when it needs to (which isn't much). Is holding out really worth minimal amount you save over the course of two months?
    I never "turn" my heat off, normal activity, cooking, lights, etc provides enuf heat to keep the oil furnace from kicking on, usually into November, I just heat with oil till it starts kicking on in the evening, then I start burning wood, but still let the oil take over in the morning.

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  8. #33
    Posting Freak BSR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    906

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I never "turn" my heat off, normal activity, cooking, lights, etc provides enuf heat to keep the oil furnace from kicking on, usually into November, I just heat with oil till it starts kicking on in the evening, then I start burning wood, but still let the oil take over in the morning.
    We are the same way. Between having an efficient house and all of the activity (cooking etc.) the house just stays warm. My heat has yet to run as the house hasn't dropped below 70 degrees so far this year (heat is at 68). It probably won't for a while.

    What puzzles me is people who deal with high temps in the house barely breaking 60 for weeks because they refuse to run the heat. Then when they do turn the heat on they set it at 68. I have several friends who do this. If you are comfortable at 68 then why put up with 60 for a month? Just turn on the heat! The savings are minimal. It seems irrational to me but maybe I'm missing something.

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #34
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,932

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    I never understood holding out until the last minute to turn on the heat. Maybe it's because we have an efficient house, but the needle doesn't move on our propane until November regardless of when we turn the heat on. That being said it costs almost nothing to keep the house warm in fall temperatures.

    Set the thermostat at a comfortable temp, let the heat run when it needs to (which isn't much). Is holding out really worth minimal amount you save over the course of two months?
    Old school Yankee pride and tradition. It's kinda like the 3,000 mile oil change. That thinking isn't necessary in modern society but some habits die hard.

    0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

  10. #35
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,848

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Old school Yankee pride and tradition. It's kinda like the 3,000 mile oil change. That thinking isn't necessary in modern society but some habits die hard.
    Oh no you didn’t...

    0 Not allowed!

  11. #36
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    13,003

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    We are the same way. Between having an efficient house and all of the activity (cooking etc.) the house just stays warm. My heat has yet to run as the house hasn't dropped below 70 degrees so far this year (heat is at 68). It probably won't for a while.

    What puzzles me is people who deal with high temps in the house barely breaking 60 for weeks because they refuse to run the heat. Then when they do turn the heat on they set it at 68. I have several friends who do this. If you are comfortable at 68 then why put up with 60 for a month? Just turn on the heat! The savings are minimal. It seems irrational to me but maybe I'm missing something.
    my thermostat is programmed for different temperatures depending on time of day

    weekdays
    6:00am-8:30am 68 this is time of day my furnace runs
    8:30am-4:30pm 58
    4:30pm-11:30pm 66 in this time period, I burn wood
    11:30pm-6:00am 58

    on average, even in coldest weather, my furnace runs about 45 minutes in the morning

    weekends
    6:00am-9:00am 68
    9:00am-11:30pm 66
    11:30pm-6:00am 58

    house in insulated well enough that even though the thermostat drops to 58 at 8:30am, it rarely cools to below 62. in coldest weather, it may come on once or twice during the night depending on how much wood I stoked, if I fill it right up, it's likely the temp will rise to 80 causing me to open windows

    fwiw, my oil furnace is 80,000 btu, my wood furnace can crank out 160,000 btu

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  12. #37
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,932

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Oh no you didn’t...
    I don't tend to swim with the crowd and always embrace the popular opinion

    1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

  13. #38
    Don't bother me! R7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamaha Blvd
    Age
    46
    Posts
    13,824

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    I just filled the oil tanks, last fill was 13 months ago and used 216 gallons.. not bad.
    Nows the time to fill up before the price goes up $2.20 per gallon is what I paid yesterday.

    0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

    A Big Powerful Sportbike

  14. #39
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,342

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I just filled the oil tanks, last fill was 13 months ago and used 216 gallons.. not bad.
    Nows the time to fill up before the price goes up $2.20 per gallon is what I paid yesterday.
    I just paid 2.38 today for 233 gallons. That should last until March historically.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS #316 ECK Racing GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | OnTrack Media

    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  15. #40
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,848

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I just paid 2.38 today for 233 gallons. That should last until March historically.
    I have used 250 gallons in one month before lol.

    0 Not allowed!

  16. #41
    ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ma
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,274

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    somethings got to be wrong with your house. you need some insulation and /or better windows and doors

    0 Not allowed!

  17. #42
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,848

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    somethings got to be wrong with your house. you need some insulation and /or better windows and doors
    Could probably use some insulation but it’s also double the size, about 6 adults lived here at the time going in an out all day long, cooking and doing laundry (we use oil for hot water too) and there are no other forms of heating the house. Also that’s not the norm, it was a month that I think we saw above 32 like 3 times.
    Most important at the time I had a 33 year old boiler lol

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by tsorfas; 09-14-19 at 05:24 AM.

  18. #43
    Senior Member MFChop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    381

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    LOL 100 all week here in Nashville

    0 Not allowed!

  19. #44
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The desert
    Posts
    1,654

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    LOL 100 all week here in Nashville
    Blazing here too. We run two 5000lb and one 6000lb AC units to keep the house at 78. One months electric bill here is almost a whole winter season of oil for my house in Maine. Painful.

    0 Not allowed!

  20. #45
    Lifer union's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Blackstone, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,446

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Still haven't touched my heat yet. Looks like I'll make it another week at least.

    0 Not allowed!
    James
    12 KTM SMR 450
    07 CRF 250R
    LRRS/CCS #79
    NEMM #79

    GMD Computrack
    Diamondback Designs
    Robs Dyno

  21. #46
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    853

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Considered turning the AC on last night since it was a pretty humid 70F

    0 Not allowed!
    -Matt

  22. #47
    Don't bother me! R7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamaha Blvd
    Age
    46
    Posts
    13,824

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Blazing here too. We run two 5000lb and one 6000lb AC units to keep the house at 78. One months electric bill here is almost a whole winter season of oil for my house in Maine. Painful.
    I don't know how people get used to that type of heat, I spent a week in Phenix in the winter and it was still to hot for me.

    I turned on the heat yesterday as well, and back to AC today.
    Heat on for the season...-img_20190914_090336-jpg

    0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

    A Big Powerful Sportbike

  23. #48
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The desert
    Posts
    1,654

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I don't know how people get used to that type of heat, I spent a week in Phenix in the winter and it was still to hot for me.

    I turned on the heat yesterday as well, and back to AC today.
    Heat on for the season...-img_20190914_090336-jpg
    I dont think you ever get used to it, you just find ways to endure it for 4 months a year. It beats the shit out of a Maine winter. Ill retire to a happy medium, probably coastal Carolina.

    0 Not allowed!

  24. #49
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,342

    Re: Heat on for the season...

    I don't plan on touching the heat until the end of next month.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS #316 ECK Racing GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | OnTrack Media

    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •