Hey Jay! A blast from the past...

TL1000R Brakes into Top Ten in First 1998 AMA Superbike Race!

In its maiden AMA Superbike Series appearance, Suzuki's all-new TL1000R broke into the top ten at the inaugural race of the season at Phoenix, Arizona on February 15, 1998. Team Yoshimura Suzuki rider Steve Crevier brought the TL1000R in at eighth place after running as high as fourth before tire problems forced him to fall back late in the race.
    "I'm thrilled-I'm extremely happy with the bike's performance", Crevier said after the race. "We’ve only had a couple of testing sessions with the TL so far, so breaking into the top ten at the first race is really fantastic. I expected to spend the entire season just trying to develop the bike. To tell the truth, I didn't really know if we'd be able to run this fast this soon. But today, there's no doubt in my mind that this thing is going to be a real contender."
    Suzuki's Press Relations Manager, Mark Reese, noted, "We took some members of the U.S. press to Australia to the worldwide test ride for the TL1000R. Several of the editors remarked that the bike is so smooth, the power delivery is so linear, and the chassis is so stable, it didn't feel like they were going that fast on the track, and they didn't really feel like they were riding a big V-twin. We stressed that this bike was designed to be a platform for racing. Because it was designed to win superbike races, from club-level competition all the way to World Superbike, the TL1000R offers lots of top end power, a really strong chassis, a huge amount of adjustability, and a lot of other elements that are essential to racing success."
    "The TL1000S is a great street bike," noted Marketing Director Mel Harris, "it will appeal primarily to the guy who's looking for the sound, the look, the unique power characteristics of a V-twin. But the rider who's looking for a V-twin that's a real racetrack weapon, who wants smooth, refined power and stability and the option of modifying the bike to suit his particular style-that customer will probably be most happy with the TL1000R."
    The next big test for the TL1000R will come at Daytona International Speedway on March 8. The Daytona 200 will receive same-day coverage on ESPN (check local listings.) Tune in to watch the entire Suzuki squad, including Yoshimura Suzuki riders Mat Mladin and Aaron Yates on GSX-R750s, Steve Crevier and Larry Pegram on TL1000Rs and Jason Pridmore on his HyperCycle Suzuki GSX-R750.

0 Not allowed!
    Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

It's a total shame 'Zook & Yosh gave up so easily on the TL-R. If they'd put HALF the effort into that as the Gixxer effort, it'd be a real monster by now. Shame, yes. But in a way it's a good thing. I like the fact that not every squid around here has one...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?