Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just made the Hi-def leap.

Just made the Hi-def leap.

After getting married, buying a house, and forgetting to change my W4 withholdings, I ended up getting a tax return that more than covered this new toy:

52" Sony XBR 5

I also picked up a PS3 for the blue-ray player and have been nothing but impressed so far. Regular cable looks pretty shitty but my new HD receiver should be here some time next week.

I know the cable management is non-existant but I just wanted to get it up and running as soon as possible. Over the next few weeks I will routing the cables through the wall to the closet that is directly behind the TV.

**Update** Now with hidden cables!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 02-19-08 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added pictures
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Re: Just made the Hi-def leap.

Got a fund dedicated to it right now. Once I get home from deployment, at least a 42" 1080p is coming home with me.

PS After spending 3900 on a TV HIDE the WIRES lol

MSF RiderCoach

Shweet....

Add yourself a DVR...(I use the one from Comcast...but lots of people love TIVO)

HIDEF and DVR.....you can never go back!!!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

If you dont want to fish the wires in the wall. go to an electrical supply hous and tell them what you want to do and get some "wiremold"

nice!

my parents have that same tv and I have been so impressed with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil1 View Post
    PS After spending 3900 on a TV HIDE the WIRES lol
    Yeah yeah, I know! There is a closet directly through the wall behind the TV and my plan is to move all my AV equipment into it. The problem is I need to wire a new outlet in there and I want to put it on its own circuit. Not difficult to do, I just need to find the time to do it. In the mean time I'm more concerned about having a working television than hiding the wires... Plus my wife will keep on me to get them hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by waveman View Post
    If you dont want to fish the wires in the wall. go to an electrical supply hous and tell them what you want to do and get some "wiremold"
    The wiremold looks like a good temporary option for me. It will keep the wife happy and buy me more time before I get everything installed in the closet.

Nice display. But lower that damned thing! Center of screen should in line w/viewing position (you eyballs). Unless you're sitting on barstools?

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Come on now do it right. Cut the drywall out stud to stud from your floor unit to behind the tv. Then install a box on the bottom and the top. Then put a 3" conduit between the two boxes. Then run all the wires through that. Reinstall the drywall, mud, tape and paint. Its looks SOOO much better

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Yeah, since I can only rent right now, I'll be using wire hiding stuff till I buy a house.

MSF RiderCoach

Congrats

I can't tell where you sit to ride it. I mean, if it costs as much as another bike, and looks as good as another bike, it has to be another bike, right?

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Comcast has the new DVR with Tivo! i hear it works great, also if you have any technical knowledge just pick up the box from your local comcast and hook it up yourself. If you have a tech come out and install it you get charged for the install, and its very simple! Also comcast will supply you with HDMI cables if you ask. they are just as good as anything you buy from the store and are FREE!

Nice TV, GTA4 comes out in March for PS3.....

DVR is one of the best inventions ever. Especially since Rob and I are rarely home together when "our shows" are on, so it is nice to DVR them and watch them on weekends. Makes for cheap date mights too without renting movies.

Congrats on the new purchase.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    Nice display. But lower that damned thing! Center of screen should in line w/viewing position (you eyballs). Unless you're sitting on barstools?
    Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    i thought that too when my sister had hers installed (she also has the wiring through the walls and it looks pimp). you get used to the viewing position quickly though. figure if you have the tv a few feet lower it will be much more susceptible to damage. my sister anyways has 2 golden retrievers and two young boys. the tv down low wouldn't last a week.

I've got 3 labs with brush-hog tails so I didn't want it anywhere near them. The higher elevation is also nice when you are laying on the couch. At first I thought it may be a bit too high but I'm pretty much used to it even though I've barely had it for 24 hours.

I'm amazed at the misinformation sales people spread to consumers about cables. One asshole insisted that I would not be able to get 1080P from a cheap cable because there was not suitable bandwidth to handle the signal. He also claimed that the audio quality would be significantly reduced. For those that don't know, if the cable is HDMI 1.3a certified it does not matter if it costs $10 or $150, your picture will look the same so go for the cheaper one. When I refused their $80 cables and told them I would get a cheapo one somewhere else, the guy had a look on his face like I had just slapped his mother. He then tried to dumb down his incorrect explaination about data transmission so a 2 year old could understand it. I eventually had to tell him to stop trying to sell me cables and calibration services or I would go buy the TV elsewhere. The scary part of this is he actually believes that what he is telling customers is legit. Lord knows how many people are duped because of not understanding how the technology works.

That said, I found a "premium brand" open box 12ft HDMI cable at the same store for about $20 which is still on the steep end but I didn't have to wait for a cheaper cable to show up through the mail system from monoprice.com.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I'm amazed at the misinformation sales people spread to consumers about cables. One asshole insisted that I would not be able to get 1080P from a cheap cable because there was not suitable bandwidth to handle the signal. He also claimed that the audio quality would be significantly reduced. For those that don't know, if the cable is HDMI 1.3a certified it does not matter if it costs $10 or $150, your picture will look the same so go for the cheaper one. When I refused their $80 cables and told them I would get a cheapo one somewhere else, the guy had a look on his face like I had just slapped his mother. He then tried to dumb down his incorrect explaination about data transmission so a 2 year old could understand it. I eventually had to tell him to stop trying to sell me cables and calibration services or I would go buy the TV elsewhere. The scary part of this is he actually believes that what he is telling customers is legit. Lord knows how many people are duped because of not understanding how the technology works.

That said, I found a "premium brand" open box 12ft HDMI cable at the same store for about $20 which is still on the steep end but I didn't have to wait for a cheaper cable to show up through the mail system from monoprice.com.

My coworker fell for it. There's a shitload of articles online that prove that the noname $20 cables are just as good if not better then the $150 monster cables.

When I buy my big screen i'm getting all my cables here:
    MonoPrice.com - Best quality products at the lowest price

holy shit that's a nice TV. congrats Bill!

oh, and it looks crooked.

'01 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I'll always be greasy on the inside.

My cousin has a TV.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

Comcast=Free cables!

HDMI, S-video, optical audio, components you name it they have it at the best price FREE!!!!!

When you pick up your HD box tell them you need HDMI's and they will supply them. Also do yourself a favor, and if you enjoy surround sound get the optical audio cables. Night and day difference. also the only way for your receiver to convert to true dolby digital!

Everybody to the limit!

Quote Originally Posted by R1slowflyer View Post
    Also do yourself a favor, and if you enjoy surround sound get the optical audio cables. Night and day difference. also the only way for your receiver to convert to true dolby digital!
    This is true. I bought the unoptical cables and now my receiver converts to knockoff dolby digital which sounds awful coming out of my speakers (they can tell the difference, trust me). Don't be fooled by imitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    This is true. I bought the unoptical cables and now my receiver converts to knockoff dolby digital which sounds awful coming out of my speakers (they can tell the difference, trust me). Don't be fooled by imitations.
    knock off dolby digital?

I dont know about your receiver, but mines has multiple settings that "simulate" dolby digital. i wouldn't say knock off. I dont know exactly how it works, but the optical audio cable is the only way to unlock the true dolby settings in my receiver and many of the receiver i installed when i worked for comcast.

I cant stress any more the fact that these cables are supplied by comcast and if you have a tech out to do the install and they "don't" have the cables, go to your local comcast and pick them up. Its a scam. They do have them they are supplied and they are free. I knew alot of guys that would say

"yes we have them but they are 20$ more that you have to pay now"

scam! and these guys eventually got fired when the co. caught on. Cables today can cost more than the components for the sole reason that they have names like "monster cable" or "insert brand name here" a cable is a cable, i went out and bought 100ft of monster cable speaker wire for like 80$ when i first got my receiver. I got ripped off because the sound quality is no better than CAT5 or the regular wires that are supplied with the system. I just believed what they said when i bought the system and i will never do that again. I do my homework now.

COMCAST HAS "FREE" CABLES!!!!!!! dont waste your money!

Last edited by R1; 02-11-08 at 12:31 PM.

grats that looks very good

I went cheap with Vizio LCD 42
    as of wednesday unemployeed

I am happy though i found out my cable box only
    does 1080i not p oh well

what I discovered is regular broadcast cable looks broken after
    hd exposure

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by bump909 View Post
    oh, and it looks crooked.
    You would not believe how many times I leveled the wall mount while I was installing it. The second lag that I installed would pull it out of level so I ended up holding the mount still while my wife cranked it down.

i did the same thing, mounted the tv on the wall and put the wires through to the closet behind it.

if you put your expensive electronics on the shelf in the closet, make sure it can support it!

when my house was being built, and they hung the shelves, they didn't put the screws in the studs...so when all my heavy stuff went up on the shelf, it came down in the middle of the night...scared me literally to the point where i thought my house was falling down around me...since it was in my bedroom

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    You would not believe how many times I leveled the wall mount while I was installing it. The second lag that I installed would pull it out of level so I ended up holding the mount still while my wife cranked it down.
    sounds like a PITA. also, looks kind of high up. do you have your seating on risers or something?

'01 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I'll always be greasy on the inside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast