Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Hiring an Electrician.

Hiring an Electrician.

Have you done it? Would you not agree to $1000 a day? If not. Why? Curious of you DIY's and what you think is appropriate and why.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Re: Hiring an Electrician.

Just had most of our house rewired. He came over the first time and came up with a scope or work then gave us his estimate and cost of material. I would never agree to a fixed price per day. I didn't want to diy any of it because it was a lot of troubleshooting work that involved circuits spliced and wonky shit like that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I worked as a telecom apprentice last summer and worked under a master electrician for most of it. He did a TON of side work on his own and he would give people a fixed price on jobs and that included the cost of materials and estimated time, I never heard of him talk about price per day though and 1000 bucks does sound steep, Even if he were to bring 6 guys with him daily there's still too much that can be taken advantage of because electrical work is so tedious, and I'd be careful doing anything on your own especially anything that involves a panel lol. I seen more than a couple melt because of misuse. Good luck though I can give you that guys number if you can't find anyone else. He works a lot in your area and would have no problem answering any more specific questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post
    Have you done it? Would you not agree to $1000 a day? If not. Why? Curious of you DIY's and what you think is appropriate and why.

Totally depends what you’re having done, and the guy a 1 man show, or multiple workers. Can’t comment on Ma prices, but in RI, $100-120 for the first hour, then $60ish per hour after that seems to be the going rate for residential. Those prices are per person, so it adds up quick if there’s more than 1 guy. I’d never agree to a set price per day, if he can’t quote the job, find another guy.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I did all the electrical for my addition.

I had an electrician show up, tell me what I need to do to do it correctly, then show up at the end, verify everything, then terminate circuits and light them up.

$1k a day is what I pay for a 20 ton excavator, with an operator, and fuel.

Not sure if you are asking for "is this a good deal" or if you are in the business and feeling out DIY'ers, but unless the job was a involved one above my skill set, then I wouldn't consider anyone who quotes by the day. Especially for that much.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

$1000 a day is steep and going to scare people off unless you're working very high end residential. I see $80 to $100 for a licensed guy around here.

You would want more specifics as to what is included.
    - What materials included
    - Confirm it includes him pulling a permit
    - For commercial installations average $150/hr for a Journeyman electrician and one apprentice, residential would be less
    - Residential or commercial (commercial typically includes conduit which add cost to install labor and materials)
    - Include a specific scope of work to be completed first before any “nice to have” options

contractors are so busy right now, with 8-20 week backlogs, $1k/day doesn't surprise me, as a surveyor, we have potential clients offering a premium above our quotes to move up on our schedule

another thing to consider, is that $1k/day just for the electrician, or does it include a helper

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    contractors are so busy right now, with 8-20 week backlogs
    Yesterday I would have agreed. Last summer I tried to hire a plumber/HVAC guy to repair my heating system. 3 different contractors would not return my call. Finally hired a guy I'd been using for years and just paid him whatever he wanted.
    This morning my wife calls someone (not one of the three I tried last summer) to diagnose our flaky hot water. Guy is dropping by today to diagnose and quote repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Yesterday I would have agreed. Last summer I tried to hire a plumber/HVAC guy to repair my heating system. 3 different contractors would not return my call. Finally hired a guy I'd been using for years and just paid him whatever he wanted.
    This morning my wife calls someone (not one of the three I tried last summer) to diagnose our flaky hot water. Guy is dropping by today to diagnose and quote repairs.
    we have a 15 week backlog, but squeeze in simple and quick work, rewiring a house is a bit more work than fixin/replacing a water heater

and most of all, you don't have a female voice

Last edited by RandyO; 06-04-18 at 10:12 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Lifer

As said before, $1K a day could be good.. could be steep, all depends on what you're doing. From my own personal experience I would have taken it in a heartbeat for a lot of things I did. #1 - changing from fuse to breaker box. = 5K? It took a crew of 4 the whole day. #2 adding 6 additional outdoor plugs - $700! #3 inspecting and then adding two outlets to a finished room/deck - $1,500.

I did DIY a lot of wiring and was told I did a pretty good job, but ultimately I needed it cleared/inspected by the town. For the electrician's time and effort plus materials, and pulling the permit is what I was paying for. Ie he said it takes him at least an hour or two lining up at the town hall to get the permit, it takes some time to coordinate with the town to inspect it. So he was saying that alone is $$ to him. He was "better" on that diy job, but you can see the prices for #1,2,3 were varying from a big job, to what is a smaller job, and it cost a lot of money

Lifer

In NH and MA, can home owners do their own electrical work?

Just need an inspection at the end?

What if you were planning to sell soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    In NH and MA, can home owners do their own electrical work?
    Definitely not in Boston. I believe the rest of MA is the same, i.e. you can't do it - period.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

According to Massachusetts Electrical Code, a homeowner may perform electrical work provided that:

• The work being done is residential, not commercial; and
    • The person performing the work is the property owner; and
    • The person performing the work resides at the property.
    • The person performing the work must get prior approval from the Wiring Inspector.

All four of these conditions must be met in order for a homeowner to perform their own electrical work.

Don't know what other rules apply in Boston. Our next door neighbor is an Electrician so he can do it faster and better.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-05-18 at 06:52 PM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

Don't know what other rules apply in Boston. Our next door neighbor is an Electrician so he can do it faster and better.
    #4 is the killer. The City of Boston simply won't give you permission, period. I've gone through it before, argued up and down the chain of command, and ended up getting nowhere.

Lifer

In my town the home inspector didn't have a problem.. I asked him and showed him. he said it would have been easier/less inspection, but since i pulled a home owners permit for all my construction, as long as I got each section done and called in an inspection before I proceeded I was fine.. he was a hardass at first, but accommodating once I got started and I didn't make a total fool of myself doing the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

This has to be the best of the top 3 replies Iíve seen. Thanks guys for sharing your experiences!

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Lifer

anyone know what site has the best prices for switches and outlets? I'm going to be swapping out around 75 old cream color ones for white while I paint the interior.

Can anyone recommend an electrician in MA? I'm starting to put together plans on finishing our basement.