Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Home alarm systems?

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Home alarm systems?

Any recommendation for one? And I mean a GOOD one. If possible, not connected to the police station...I heard ADT charges over $100/month for that service...ridiculous. My grand-parents up in Quebec had one installed years ago after someone broke into their home. There was a small detector on every single window, each door, etc.

We need something that will be good for when you leave the home, but ALSO when we are *in* the house (so I guess that rules out movement detectors). The reason is for when my kids are home alone once in a while, after school waiting for me to come home from work, for exemple, I want them to be able to be in the house and have the alarm system ON.

We are willing to spend hundreds of dollars, but not thousands. I have no clue how much they cost. Also, Stephan is very good at installing/repairing/fixing stuff, so I'm wondering if there is even a good system that he could install himself?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Re: Home alarm systems?

Ok, I just made a quick search online for home security systems, Brinks is about $30.00/month (more if adding extras), and ADT seems to be a bit more starting at $40/month and up.

Anyway, I'm looking at recommendations.

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by MissTwisties View Post
    Ok, I just made a quick search online for home security systems, Brinks is about $30.00/month (more if adding extras), and ADT seems to be a bit more starting at $40/month and up.

Anyway, I'm looking at recommendations.
    We have Brinks. Awesome!!

Derek

We did ADT. They are sold by independant saleseman and I think installed by contractors or actual ADT people but IM not sure about that. We pay 37 a month for basic service. How do I know how good it is, We have never had a problem so far???

We also went wireless for the door/window moniters. Makes it simpler and cleaner.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

How does Brinks and ADT work for when you are INSIDE the house? I'm assuming you can disable the movement detectors? I really want to get something good for when the kids are home. Also, I would think movement detectors are not so good anyway with pets (cats jump up and down from counter tops, etc.)

SNJNOW

We have two Great Danes - even better!!!!!!

[SIGPIC]

The Antique Bike Hoarder Fatman's Avatar

I just picked up one for $280.

"We'll wait for one more....okay, let's go"

-Clayton
    Lacoina 1998

My dad always said I had a face for radio...

http://www.homesecuritystore.com

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Quote Originally Posted by MissTwisties View Post
    How does Brinks and ADT work for when you are INSIDE the house? I'm assuming you can disable the movement detectors? I really want to get something good for when the kids are home. Also, I would think movement detectors are not so good anyway with pets (cats jump up and down from counter tops, etc.)
    I believe that with pets you can get sensors in the floor that are triggered by weight rather than by motion.

-kim

drz400sm

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2473/3532494258_79ceb54614.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kermita View Post
    I believe that with pets you can get sensors in the floor that are triggered by weight rather than by motion.
    Additionally, I believe many of the motion sensors are designed to not be triggered by smaller things such as a cat or dog (i suppose unless its a great dane or something of the sort!)

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

Quote Originally Posted by Scott&Jeanna View Post
    Oh I would have a Dobbie if I could, but the man of the house doesn't want big dogs!! Plus, I doubt they could fight a gun pointing at them...When I was young and my parents were leaving the house, I felt pretty secure with my Doberman always next to me, but I thought "what if someone enters with a gun?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

Kids can't touch that.

For the cheap way out

HOW TO INSTALL A HOME SECURITY SYSTEM.

1. Go to a secondhand store and buy a pair of men's work boots, used, Size 14-16.

2. Place them on your front porch, along with a copy of Guns & Ammo Magazine.

3 Put a few giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazine.

4. Leave a note on your door that reads:

Hey Bubba, Big Jim, Duke and Slim:

I went for more shotgun shells and to pick my check up from the Slaughterhouse. Back in an hour. Don't mess with the pit bulls--don't know what got into them, but they attacked the mailman this morning and messed him up real bad. I don't think Killer took part in it, but it was hard to tell from all the blood.

Anyway, I locked all four of 'em in the house. Better wait out here on the porch.
    'Cooter'

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Lifer

^^^ haha, redneck security at it's finest... eerrrr, cheapest.

weak 9mm. just bustin balls, guns are great, til you shoot the perp and get thrown in jail for A&B w/ Dangerous Weapon. Didn't stop me from picking up my S&W Tac .40 though. F*ckin' Taxachusetts.

Deterrence is the #1 way of protecting property and ensuring security. If someone even enters your property, you're already on the defensive - no good. Best form of deterrence: a good dog that's too heavy to pick up and means business when it barks... A barking dog is a shit-ton better form of deterrence than any number of ADT or Brinks signs posted all over your home.

I'll try and find some good links for you for security ideas, don't have the time right now. I scoped out my old job site for security plans, which they took my advice and went through with most of. I've taken several courses on security, both private and industrial, and might still have some info kicking around. I'll find it when I get off work.

Lifer

just happened to remember the site for really good security info.

Security Park - The leading Security News portal

Your best plan to protect your children and your property is layered security. A home security system is good, but it's only one defense. Think of things like this that are low cost, low maintenance:

locks: (duh) deadbolt and knob locks on every door (that function properly) and locks on every single window, regardless of which floor it's on. Not only that, be vigilant in actually using the locks.

appearance: think about the appearance of your house from the street, keep it nice and neat looking. a messy place invites crooks to come in. don't let the lawn get overgrown, and don't leave toys strewn about the yard.

barriers: such as shrubbery or a fence (doesn't necessarily have to be tall) around the perimeter of your house (or at least the area most readily accessible from the street)

signs: post security system signs along the outside of that perimeter, as well as on your house, near the most likely accessible points (low windows, doors, etc).

LIGHTS!: light the shit out of your property using low-cost, energy-efficient bulbs. No crook wants to walk up to a house and try to pry open a door or window while lit up like a christmas tree... this goes for all sides of your house.

and if you wanna get all panic-room'd out, you could add some CCTV cameras covering the most likely avenue of approach - AND MAKE THEM VISIBLE TO ANY INTRUDER!

another important point is don't leave anything of value in plain sight, such as that nice painting in the living-room bay window, or your fine china in front of the dining room window . It's like inviting a burglar to come and get it.

Let's face it, your average burglar doesn't do that Blue Streak cat burglar, high-tech gadget crap. They spot a place driving by, stop, check out the area real quick, bust in a door, snatch what they can and leave. Even if you have a security system with an audible alarm, a motivated crook still has plenty of time to grab some valuables and scat before anyone responds (police or security company). Like I said in my last post, deterrence is the absolute best way to stop a burglary or B&E. Make the bad guys think your house is too much work and too much risk of being caught and force them to move on to someone else's house.

One last thing, crime goes WAY up during the summer months. Kids are out of school on summer break, people are more active outdoors, people stay out at night longer, party more, etc etc etc. It's also easy for us to leave windows open a bit to get some airflow through the house and cool things down. Try to find ways of keeping the house cool by other means.

sorry for the long-winded message, but truth is, there's no quick and easy fix to security. I was going to send this message via PM, but I figure it's something that can benefit everyone who takes the time to read it.

The Antique Bike Hoarder Fatman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nilez View Post
    ^^^ haha, redneck security at it's finest... eerrrr, cheapest.

weak 9mm. just bustin balls, guns are great, til you shoot the perp and get thrown in jail for A&B w/ Dangerous Weapon. Didn't stop me from picking up my S&W Tac .40 though. F*ckin' Taxachusetts.
    I couldn't refuse the $280 price brand new with a $50 rebate and two extra mags.

"We'll wait for one more....okay, let's go"

-Clayton
    Lacoina 1998

My dad always said I had a face for radio...

A well trained 120lb German Shepherd.

Go for it. I dare ya.

Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    A well trained 120lb German Shepherd.

Go for it. I dare ya.
    Yup, I've got a 100lb Dobe and this sign on my garage door.

Go Big or Go Home!

2000 Ducati 900SS
    1992 CBR 600 F2 (sold)

My doberman only weights 65 lbs and I'm not sure how intimidating she is.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Dog.

Runs about the same amount per month with food compared to ADT/Brinks. Plus ADT/Brinks doesn't help you bury the body behind the doghouse.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Scott&Jeanna View Post
    Awesome

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Dog.

Runs about the same amount per month with food compared to ADT/Brinks. Plus ADT/Brinks doesn't help you bury the body behind the doghouse.
    hahahaha, and then they'll take a piss on the site of the grave to hide the scent from any other inquisitive dogs... aka, no popo.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    My doberman only weights 65 lbs and I'm not sure how intimidating she is.
    You'd be surprised! I had 2 Comcast guys at the house Saturday and they refused to get out of the van. The dog was locked in her crate, but they were still scared from the signs and paw prints in the snow. FWIW, I wouldn't want to tangle with a pissed off 65 Lb. Doberman, they get nasty.

Go Big or Go Home!

2000 Ducati 900SS
    1992 CBR 600 F2 (sold)