Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home gateway / WiFi upgrade

Re: Home gateway / WiFi upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    Ubiquiti sells their AP's with a POE injector, unless you buy the 5-pack. I'd probably go with the LR vs the PRO unless you are a high power user. Turning your wifi-router into a router is a great way to get started, it's usually the wifi that causes them distress in my experience anyway. The in wall stuff is designed for hotels and the like, I don't have any experience but I doubt the signal is very strong. I'd go for the AP.
    Sku uap-ac-pro-e does not include the injector. Saves like $50 vs the one with. Looks like a quality GigE injector can be had for $20..

Your points taken with the LR vs PRO. Here I am all excited about a way mo' faster network and then I remember I'm too cheap to pay for anything more than the 15Mbps cable plan. Range >> speed I can't use.

Does anyone know if there are any temperature concerns here? The PRO is listed as indoor/outdoor but I can't find details. Is there any problem putting these in an unheated garage where temps will go well below zero?

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Spec wise, it looks like the standard in-wall model lines up with the AC-LITE while the in-wall pro is an AC-PRO. The in-wall pro has more powerful radios and higher gain antennas than the standard model (and 3x3 MIMO on both the 2.4 and 5.8 radios).
    The appeal of the in-walls was easy, attractive retrofit into one of my existing, unused net drop jacks in that room. But I'm now hot to mount one of these things on the ceiling in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Note: Not all PoE is the same. Ubiquity has some gear running off their whacky 24v standard, and some on 48v standard the rest of the world uses. When shopping for their kit, be sure to note which PoE standard it's expecting.
    Fine point. Looks like the "PRO" models use 48v and/or 802.3at but the lesser models are listed at "802.3af/A PoE & 24V PoE".. whatever that means.

I guess the moral here is just don't buy the -E sku and use the injector that comes in the box.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Sku uap-ac-pro-e does not include the injector. Saves like $50 vs the one with. Looks like a quality GigE injector can be had for $20..

Your points taken with the LR vs PRO. Here I am all excited about a way mo' faster network and then I remember I'm too cheap to pay for anything more than the 15Mbps cable plan. Range >> speed I can't use.

Does anyone know if there are any temperature concerns here? The PRO is listed as indoor/outdoor but I can't find details. Is there any problem putting these in an unheated garage where temps will go well below zero?

The appeal of the in-walls was easy, attractive retrofit into one of my existing, unused net drop jacks in that room. But I'm now hot to mount one of these things on the ceiling in the garage.

Fine point. Looks like the "PRO" models use 48v and/or 802.3at but the lesser models are listed at "802.3af/A PoE & 24V PoE".. whatever that means.

I guess the moral here is just don't buy the -E sku and use the injector that comes in the box.
    I have an older UniFi LR access point in my garage. No problems with temperature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Note: Not all PoE is the same. Ubiquity has some gear running off their whacky 24v standard, and some on 48v standard the rest of the world uses. When shopping for their kit, be sure to note which PoE standard it's expecting.

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think Amazon is playing with the prices. I don't remember spending any more than $150ish for my UAP-AC-PRO that came with an injector. It also looks like the Ubiquiti 48V injector is only $20 on Amazon.

The in-wall units are rated -10 to 50C and the regular models (lite, LR, Pro) are -10 to 70C. Over the years I've had 3 different models in my unheated garage and haven't had problems with any of them.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 05-01-18 at 07:56 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Very true about the Ubiquiti stuff and their proprietary POE injectors. I've tried to power them using "standard" POE+ injectors/switches. No dice. Flashy flashy booty booty.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I bought a UAP-AC-LR. Will use the included PoE injector in the basement up-stream of the GigE switch on the existing gateway I have. AP device will go on the ceiling in my garage, South end of the house, between floors. Expecting it to cover the rest of the house ~40' to the north through multiple walls, then outside to the back-yard through a single 2x4 exterior garage wall. Will power down the WiFi AP on the existing gateway for now and rely on this for all WiFi devices and only use the gateway for it's routing/gateway and GigE switching features only.

Maybe one of those spiffy edge router devices later someday.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Yes it’s basically the same thing but dummy proof. I wouldn’t say it’s the best/most efficient/best, but it’s easy.

Personally, I like the ubiquiti unifi pieces and highly recommend them.
    I have a small home and went with Ubiquiti's lesser offering, AmpliFi. It just plains works. Really well. Its very cute too. We only have the cube, no boosters.

I have 100mb comcast and speed tests are at or above 100mb anywhere in the house.

I needed something for a small home to run a ton of devices as I'm on just about the whole line of nest products. Google wifi was the other option that came highly recommended, but I like to stray from the norm a bit wherever possible.

Caveat: I'm far from a tech guy, I just like things to work and look good. I listen to the experts when choosing products and don't get lost in the specs because I don't understand them.

AmpliFi Wi-Fi

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-25-18 at 09:01 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Well, that was easy! Box arrived late this morning. I fished the loose wire out of the ceiling and spent most of my time trying to figure out which of the 7 wires in my basement went to that drop. Once that cluster was figured out I had the AC LR device up and running with a net in about 2 minutes. Spent some time playing with the range; it's stunning. Can get "good" ~-65dbm at my mailbox! Finished cleaning up the wallboard, mounted the AP. Then turned the radios off on the old gateway. Done!

We'll spend the next few weeks finding clients I forgot to switch over.

The management software is really neat. Makes me want one of their routers/gateways.

In other news, the WR runs again! Time to plate that thing.

2 Not allowed!

The USG product line integrates with the Unifi controller. The Edgerouters are standalone devices with extra capabilities if you like to tinker with the software. The USG was a very immature product at the time I bought my Edgeroter Lite otherwise there's a good chance I would have gone that route. Since then, my Edgerouter has performed perfectly and even had an uptime for over a year before a power outage ended that streak. I did run into a problem where it would not boot properly after after a long brownout in my neighborhood but I was able to recover it in about 20 minutes with a console cable and some instructions I found on Ubiquiti's forums.

Here's the AC-HD doing its thing in my mudroom.
    Home gateway / WiFi upgrade-20180528_184809-jpg

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12