Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home Gym

Home Gym

Who’s got one? I ordered some equipment today.

Converting a 14x15 bedroom and looking for any ideas, deals, etc.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Home Gym

What did you order?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Deals? Good luck. I turned a room into this earlier this year. Love it. Might try to grab a treadmill or elliptical since I'm not a fan of heavy cardio in the cold.

Stall mats from Tractor Supply are fantastic for a base. Cheaper foam stuff from Home Depot etc... is ok, but not ideal once weight starts to go up.

Home Gym-fb_img_1610244680245-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    What did you order?
    Rogue power cage and bench with an Ohio bar and a Hydrow for cardio. I have a plasma plate processor at the shop so I’m going to burn my own Olympic plates and either powder coat them or color-galvanize.

I think I want some adjustable dumb bells, not sure what else.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Deals? Good luck. I turned a room into this earlier this year. Love it. Might try to grab a treadmill or elliptical since I'm not a fan of heavy cardio in the cold.

Stall mats from Tractor Supply are fantastic for a base. Cheaper foam stuff from Home Depot etc... is ok, but not ideal once weight starts to go up.

Home Gym-fb_img_1610244680245-jpg
    Looks great! I had heard about those stall mats, will likely go that route. No deals to be had, we dropped an eye-watering amount of cash today just for a few basic items. I had everything I needed in New England, should have brought it with me!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Rogue power cage and bench with an Ohio bar and a Hydrow for cardio. I have a plasma plate processor at the shop so I’m going to burn my own Olympic plates and either powder coat them or color-galvanize.

What's the lead time on the Rogue stuff now? It was months this past summer. I'd get in stock notifications on some stuff and by the time I made it to the website they were sold out again.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

What's the lead time on the Rogue stuff now? It was months this past summer. I'd get in stock notifications on some stuff and by the time I made it to the website they were sold out again.
    14-30 days. 4-6 weeks for the Hydrow.

14-30 days. 4-6 weeks for the Hydrow.
    Cool. Sounds like they're catching up. Rogue is definitely a few steps above what I got. It gets the job done but you can tell the difference.

I need to grab another pair of 45s. I've been dragging my feet because I'm cheap and people want stupid money for rusty junk.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Cool. Sounds like they're catching up. Rogue is definitely a few steps above what I got. It gets the job done but you can tell the difference.

I need to grab another pair of 45s. I've been dragging my feet because I'm cheap and people want stupid money for rusty junk.
    I probably wouldn’t have gone for this if I couldn’t make my own plates. Cast plates are insane right now and bumper plates are equally stupid.

I've been trying to get a set of dumbbells together but they're unobtanium. Filling the gaps in what I already has has been awful.

Kinda want to just spend a bunch of dollars to make it happen, plus more, but garage gym in Miami sounds terrible and we have no room inside

I forgot to say don't wait to long on the mats. I've delivered a shit ton of them and the Tractor Supply people tell me they fly out the door as they come back in.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    I've been trying to get a set of dumbbells together but they're unobtanium. Filling the gaps in what I already has has been awful.

Kinda want to just spend a bunch of dollars to make it happen, plus more, but garage gym in Miami sounds terrible and we have no room inside
    I’m looking for the bowflex 10-90 lb adjustable. Out of stock!

I feel you on the garage gym. I would have loved to have used one of ours but no AC in there means no bueno!!.

I’ve got a pretty nice setup. Last fall/winter my wife wanted a treadmill, so we picked up a nice used one. I’ve had a 300 pound barbell set kicking around my basement for a few years, it was my brother in laws. After he moved out of state, my father in law asked me if I wanted it, I took it but it had been taking up space since. Once gyms started closing back in March, I picked up a pretty nice used rack off Marketplace, when gym stuff was selling quick but prices weren’t stupid high yet. A couple days later I picked up an adjustable bench with leg extension/curl attachment off Craigslist (not the cheap one in the pic). Over the summer my wife bought a set of 20 lb dumbbells, and she just bought a set of 40s that got delivered yesterday (Amazon brand). We’ve also got a set of resistance bands that I attach to a U-bolt on the bottom of the rack. The rack is on a couple of stall mats. In my workshop room on the other side, I built a multi-grip pull-up station attached to a beam.

It’s a pretty good setup, but I’d still much prefer working out at a real gym. But my wife put the kibosh on that even after they reopened in phase 2. Also, our basement fridge / beer fridge is between the rack and the treadmill, so there’s been some intra-workout beverages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Gym-0408a48e-b200-4c39-bc92-84d50f5e7b35   Home Gym-c3516f97-6e01-4721-bfd0-ea10a88701d5   Home Gym-d91651d7-e951-40d4-8f05-e9fa3a31da76   Home Gym-c8e098c8-cfcf-46be-ab47-a6af553d45e5  

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Probably still not a good time for buying. When the gyms reopen, presumably Spring/Summer, stuff will be selling a lot cheaper.

Last Feb/March for his birthday and during break, my son asked for home weights. Didn’t want to give up the garage space but he was serious. He’s upgraded over time and sold the old stuff at the current prices which were 50-100% higher than we paid so it wasn’t costly. I’ll take a pic.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

In terms of pricing This is by far the worst time to:
    Buy a house (in a metropolitan area)
    Buy guns and ammo
    Build a home gym

Which Rogue bench did you get? I want their adjustable bench but it's like $550... yikes

I’m looking for the bowflex 10-90 lb adjustable. Out of stock!

I feel you on the garage gym. I would have loved to have used one of ours but no AC in there means no bueno!!.
    If you sign up on Bowflex.com they'll email you when they adjustable dumbbells come in stock. I did that & they eventually emailed me, but of course the lead-time is like 3-4 months so they're not here yet...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

We've been trying to carve out some space. I have a section of the basement I have decided I am going hang drywall in and run some power for equipment. We have a treadmill, which I hate, but reluctantly use as that seems to be just about the ONLY physical activity I can deal into my new daily life. I have some old dumbbell with more than enough plates that I have had for years. Although I've been using resistance bands off and on as well and find them more than adequate.

Missus bought me a small TV with roku built in for the space for christmas. I'm trying to find time to run a 15A circuit for it. Been watching The Grand Tour while suffering through jogging in place and going nowhere. Helps pass that time a lot.

I won't share photos as it is just a dingy basement space with piles and piles of "storage" items half in the way. I need to find time to put in strapping and drywall on the celling as the dust and lack of light in the space sucks.

Stall mats are a solid idea. Would improve the space a lot too.

The big purchase I would like is a nice rower. Cannot justify it though as we have the treadmill.
    Several of my coworkers that were active in gyms in the metro Boston area managed to pick up equipment for very fair prices as the gyms were shutting down. At least two scored Concept machines at less than half price.

Last edited by nhbubba; 01-10-21 at 10:36 AM.

We set one up in our basement about 3 months ago, paid a grand for everything used from Marketplace including the floor mats.

Home Gym-aae05327-44b7-470f-8746-d27e6dcfcfc3

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Which Rogue bench did you get? I want their adjustable bench but it's like $550... yikes
    Thats the one I ordered, the adjustable 2.0

Also got a Monster cage and black oxide Ohio bar. It was costly but I’m considering it an investment in my health. I was very into competitive powerlifting years ago and want to compete again in the old fuck class.

I know the timing sucks for doing this, but I am done fighting traffic with time I don’t have just to get to a decent gym that doesn’t follow the Planet Fitness model.

Thats the one I ordered, the adjustable 2.0
    Was it worth it? I'm usually in the "buy once, cry once" school of thought, so..

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

What he said. Be vary they outgas for like a month. Not a terrible smell but I also had them in the basement and not in living quarters. The foam ones are a waste of money long term. These things are bullet proof and perfect. VERY heavy/hard to maneuver due to them being flexible in nature. Definitely not a one person job if stairs etc are involved.

Home Gym-gymcapture-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    In terms of pricing This is by far the worst time to:
    Buy a house (in a metropolitan area)
    Buy guns and ammo
    Build a home gym
    + buy any decent used car
    + buy any half desired 90's early 2000's enthusiast car

Was it worth it? I'm usually in the "buy once, cry once" school of thought, so..
    I won’t know for sure until it delivers, but I have high expectations.

Are these the mats you're referring to? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t-x--frac12-in

I won’t know for sure until it delivers, but I have high expectations.
    Having used a Monster rack in a private setting and beefier Rogue equipment in the gym I can say they are noticeably higher quality then the CAP stuff I grabbed off Facebook.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast