Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home Gym

Re: Home Gym

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    I'm just now seeking the updates that came after my last post. That's one sweet set up.

If you want to train right on a bike indoors get some rollers. Since buying a decent set I can't/won't use anything else.

Something to consider...I just added a third row of uprights to my rack. Despite making the rack bigger, it actually saved me a lot of space. Now I can store all of my plates on that third row which freed up a ton of space around the rack. It's also a lot easier to load and unload the plates as they are stored at a more ideal level as opposed to being on the floor or on a separate storage solution away from the rack.
    Rollers are good but don't really provide much resistance. There is one company that makes smart rollers but they aren't cheap and I don't know anyone who has them to be a guinea pig.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

State of my home gym. This moves in spurts. Pretty proud of myself for getting the rock up and taped. Now I just have to finish, prime and paint. Then re-hang the TV, yadda, yadda.

Got a set of 4" low-pro LED pod lights for like $50. They're frickin' awesome and at 9W each draw less than a single 60W incandescent. Space feels a lot less eastern european prison cell already.

Home Gym-img_1495-jpeg

I have a trainer for the road bike, but I just cannot get into it. I think it is the fact that you don't have to balance. Just feels wrong all around.

Our freebee treadmill seems to be starting to go. Lot of random issues. The most fun being sometimes it will just start accelerating and take off on its own! Good times. I don't love the treadmill, but I can do it.

I have it in my head that I really want a rower.

What's everyone using for flooring? Stall mats?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I have a trainer for the road bike, but I just cannot get into it. I think it is the fact that you don't have to balance. Just feels wrong all around.
    If this really bothers you, then you could look into getting a rocker plate. Here is a review of one that I picked at random; you can spend anywhere from $0 DIY to about $1,200 for a fancy one. I think that the next generation of smart trainers (or maybe the generation after that) will have some type of rocking functionality built in.

I have it in my head that I really want a rower.

Like I said, I really like mine. I don't have a treadmill, and I think (from the limited time I've spent on treadmills) I would prefer rowing anyway.

What's everyone using for flooring? Stall mats?
    I'm not using anything (yet) but when I do, it'll be stall mats from Tractor Supply

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Oh man. I had not considered that idea. Seems worth trying to hack something diy together to try.
    My father has his father’s old road bike I need to grab from him to try to set up as a designated trainer. Price is right. Hoping my trainer tire fits.

My wife is an ex big time college x-country runner and even she doesn’t like the treadmill that much. Still. Winter and kids. Yah know.

Last edited by nhbubba; 11-06-21 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Oh man. I had not considered that idea. Seems worth trying to hack something diy together to try.
    My father has his father’s old road bike I need to grab from him to try to set up as a designated trainer. Price is right. Hoping my trainer tire fits.

My wife is an ex big time college x-country runner and even she doesn’t like the treadmill that much. Still. Winter and kids. Yah know.
    The other thing to consider is the kinetic R1 rock n roll direct drive smart trainer. No rocker plate required.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/12/...er-review.html

any gym should include a simple step up box, something you can build yourself

Home Gym-69d15adb-40aa-47c3-88e2-9954e2ebd8b2_1-a

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    any gym should include a simple step up box, something you can build yourself

Home Gym-69d15adb-40aa-47c3-88e2-9954e2ebd8b2_1-a
    Box jump or nothing. Go big or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    The other thing to consider is the kinetic R1 rock n roll direct drive smart trainer. No rocker plate required.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/12/...er-review.html
    Just watched the videos. That thing is loud!

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Just watched the videos. That thing is loud!
    Yup. Can't beat the price though and I have the tunes cranked when I'm on the trainer anyways.

Post some updated pics of your setup. I haven't got any weights yet.. been going to the local CF gym 5 days a week for classes, but once the weather (and the baby!) come I might get a rack for home. We'll see
    I am in the process of re-doing the other side of the space (my workshop) so my gym is a mess right now. All of the stuff I had to temporarily move so I could rearrange the shop layout is scattered all over the workout space. Once I'm done with the workshop and the space is clean I'll post some updates.

Every time I work out I am amazed at the difference from the additional uprights to store the weights on the rack. Positioning the plates right on the rack means you can swap them out without moving. Now I just stand in one spot and slide the weights off of the upright they are stored on, and pivot to the bar which is right next to them. The only exception is when I'm doing work outside of the rack but even then it's just a couple of steps along side the rack to get the plates where I need them. Meanwhile getting the plates off the floor has really opened things up around the rack.

Kids change things. I got into the habit of lifting after we put them to bed (which was at 7PM) and ended up in the best shape of my life. If I didn't have a gym in the basement, I would have stopped working out. Having a set up right in your home means you literally only need an hour to do an hour workout. I found when you consider the drive time etc. associated with going to a gym it takes a lot longer. Every minute counts when you have kids.

Anyone have a curl bar they recommend? Looking to buy one for the gym at work.

Is there a major difference between these two other than ergonomics?

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...48lympcsprcwba

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...stndrdchrmcwba

I feel like the more angled ones are easier on the wrists. We have a straight bar with angled grips and I find it more comfortable than the straight bar for bench pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Anyone have a curl bar they recommend? Looking to buy one for the gym at work.

Is there a major difference between these two other than ergonomics?

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...48lympcsprcwba

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...stndrdchrmcwba

I feel like the more angled ones are easier on the wrists. We have a straight bar with angled grips and I find it more comfortable than the straight bar for bench pressing.
    I have something similar to this:

https://www.fitarchon.com/product/mu...p-olympic-bar/

Awesome for tricep press and hammer curls. If you’re trying to build ‘guns’ hammer curls are the answer for your biceps.

I don't really have a goal to be honest. I have no excuse not to be working out since we have a gym at work. I've finally committed to not making excuses and getting at it. Right now I kind of just bounce from machine to machine and do some squats and bench press. I did use that bar you linked to for bench presses and likes the slanted grip opposed to a traditional straight bar, but I didn't think about curling with one.

Last edited by 01xj; 01-03-22 at 02:56 PM.

I don't really have a goal to be honest. I have no excuse not to be working out since we have a gym at work. I've finally committed to not making excuses and getting at it. Right now I kind of just bounce from machine to machine and do some squats and bench press. I did use that bar you linked to for bench presses and likes the slanted grip opposed to a traditional straight bar, but I didn't think about curling with one.
    The things that worked for me are:

1. Go every day of the (work) week. If you commit to only 2-3-4 days a week, then it's easy to say "I feel like shit, it's only Monday, I'll go tomorrow". But then tomorrow comes and you do the same thing. Solution: go every day, no matter what
    2. Go early in the morning. If you plan on going in the afternoons/early evenings, it's easy to get too busy with work or be too tired. Solution: go early in the morning before stuff comes up that will change your day's schedule.

I think I went from having 0 workouts in 2019 to ~40 in 2020 to having ~260 in 2021 according to Strava. Make it regular, make a habit, and don't make excuses.

Discipline equals freedom

Last edited by number9; 01-03-22 at 03:05 PM.

The things that worked for me are:

1. Go every day of the (work) week. If you commit to only 2-3-4 days a week, then it's easy to say "I feel like shit, it's only Monday, I'll go tomorrow". But then tomorrow comes and you do the same thing. Solution: go every day, no matter what
    2. Go early in the morning. If you plan on going in the afternoons/early evenings, it's easy to get too busy with work or be too tired. Solution: go early in the morning before stuff comes up that will change your day's schedule.

I think I went from having 0 workouts in 2019 to ~40 in 2020 to having ~260 in 2021 according to Strava. Make it regular, make a habit, and don't make excuses.

Discipline equals freedom
    That might work for non strength training. Lifting heavy for gains 5 days in a row every week is a recipe gor burnout and injury. The body can’t recover fast enough from intense weight training, unless of course you ‘supplement’ with pharmaceuticals.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    If you’re trying to build ‘guns’ hammer curls are the answer for your biceps.
    What about these 24oz curls? Got it as a Christmas gift from a friend. It gets easier to lift the more reps you do.
    Home Gym-f4e663c6-b1fc-4c7d-8b1d-21c38ea74192

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    What about these 24oz curls? Got it as a Christmas gift from a friend. It gets easier to lift the more reps you do.
    My world was rocked recently when I learned that 1 US fluid ounce of water does not weigh 1 ounce. This fucking country...

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    My world was rocked recently when I learned that 1 US fluid ounce of water does not weigh 1 ounce. This fucking country...
    Um, it’s for drinking beer, not water, idiot

Lol, it’s actually not great for drinking. Once you get about 1/4 of the way down, an air bubble gets trapped in the bottom portion, and it splashes your face as soon as you stop drinking.

I would think about a goal and then work out. Every different goal has a different way to get there. Gaining overall strength vs getting bigger are gonna take you down different roads. Try different thigs, see what you like. Just remember, every day is leg day and don't skip cardio.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    I would think about a goal and then work out. Every different goal has a different way to get there. Gaining overall strength vs getting bigger are gonna take you down different roads. Try different thigs, see what you like. Just remember, every day is leg day and don't skip cardio.
    Appreciate it. I have 4 sessions with a personal trainer lined up to work on some fitness goals. In the meantime I'm finishing a room in my basement to build a small home gym.

That might work for non strength training. Lifting heavy for gains 5 days in a row every week is a recipe gor burnout and injury. The body can’t recover fast enough from intense weight training, unless of course you ‘supplement’ with pharmaceuticals.
    Oh for sure, that (I hope) should go without saying. But it's much easier -- for me at least -- to stick to something when you simply have to do it every day.

Oh for sure, that (I hope) should go without saying. But it's much easier -- for me at least -- to stick to something when you simply have to do it every day.
    Well, if you find something that works, and you can stick with it, you’re doing a lot better than most!

Well, if you find something that works, and you can stick with it, you’re doing a lot better than most!
    For me it was CrossFit. I'm not a CF die-hard by any means, but I really like the 6:30am crew at my gym and I really like the variety.

For me it was CrossFit. I'm not a CF die-hard by any means, but I really like the 6:30am crew at my gym and I really like the variety.
    It certainly helps with accountability, ADD folks like me and strength endurance. That's why I dig it.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast