Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home Surveillance Options

Re: Home Surveillance Options

Is that a wired POE system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    We have several Arlo wireless systems, but just purchased a Lorex 6 4K camera system with DVR. It will stream to a smartphone, but only if you lower the resolution on the cameras you want to stream. Arlo is motion only and this will record 24/7. Thereís been some minor vandalism in the neighborhood (like cars being keyed) so we wanted 24/7 recording at as high a resolution as possible.
    I've been using D-Link, what did you think of the Arlo? How was battery life indoor / outdoor?

0 Not allowed!

Happy with Arlo, but some street vandalism is occurring so want to record 24/7.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I have a shepherd and a pitbull... doesn't mean they would jump through the window and stop a guy going through my garage.
    Oh cmon, Delilah totally would. Only to get pets and scratches.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

So who is using what for security cameras these days? Friend of mine likes the Samsung Smartcam, another uses Nest. I'd like to have something simple that activates on motion and sends at minimum pics to the cloud, uninterrupted. Reading up on the Arlo, the web service can get congested and not record anything. Are there any cameras that record to a central at home server wirelessly instead of to the cloud? I know there are ones out there that record to a card on the camera, but if someone breaks in and steals the camera, that wouldn't do any good.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Nest.

They recently started offering a 5 day history plan for $50 a year for the first camera then $30 a year for additional cameras. If you need a ton of cameras, it could be an expensive option, but do you really need history on them all? Its also worth noting that Nest does not really make money on the data storage, they aren't a storage business, that's just the cost to record that much high definition video.

The new doorbell is awesome.

0 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

High maintenance priss

I have an Arlo Q in my garage and I hate it. Motion is very pixelated and renders it next to useless (even with lower res). The app doesn't show markers on the timeline to correspond to motion. Motion-based recording doesn't backdate the recording relative to when the motion is triggered. Etc... Did I mention I hate it?

IMO go wired. Amcrest 4mp POE kit with 4 cameras and NVR will run ya a bit under $600. Way more options and video is actually usable.

0 Not allowed!

I'm starting to get the feel that the multicamera wired systems are the best.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Interesting. We have wired multi cam systems in our schools and they suck. Have almost never been able to ID anyone when needed. Both unit HDs failed after like 2 years within days of each other.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Interesting. We have wired multi cam systems in our schools and they suck. Have almost never been able to ID anyone when needed. Both unit HDs failed after like 2 years within days of each other.
    The nest face ID is scary good. Night time, day time, doesn't matter. It has a whole catalog of people it knows and it notifies me of their name. It knows the dog, it tells me if there is a sound and specifies if its a bark. It honestly hasn't been wrong yet and the interface doesn't get any better.

I don't think schools will ever adopt it, there have got to better commercial applications...then again, the cost for that many cameras in that high of definition must not be worth it under any municipal model.

I need to call my insurance company and see if it will get me a deduction...car too, since that is in the view of the camera.

Home Surveillance Options-nestgrab-jpg

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 04-03-18 at 12:21 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

A colleague uses the Ring camera system. Seems to be satisfied with the product. Looks nice and the app appears easy to use.
    I'm considering the floodlight camera for the driveway at the moment. Waiting on approval from Finance.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Users of network video recorders should plan to have the drives replaced in 4-5 years. With most makes 90% of hard drives last 3 years, and 80% live to see the 4 year mark.
    How long do hard drives actually live for? - ExtremeTech

I cannot think of any reason that you shouldn't be able to make a positive ID of a person in a video recording with modern equipment and proper placement. I am willing to bet that there is something wrong with one or the other in your application. Here is the reference document for specifying modern cameras correctly. https://www.axis.com/files/feature_a...en_1402_lo.pdf

And here is a reference image that shows the difference.

Nest face ID is scary good, and features like it can be expensive to implement on user owned equipment. It is possible though. Facial recognition is being rapidly adopted by both law enforcement and retail/advertising. Vendors include NtechLab, American Dynamics, and Digital Barriers.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by audiojeff; 04-04-18 at 08:56 PM.

Can anyone recommend a system that send notifications when it detects movement and/or cloud/SD card storage that does NOT have subscription costs?
    We currently have nest and foscam and although quality is great I don’t want the monthly cost.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Hey man.. I'm using to extremes.. The expensive and the ultra cheap. So the Arlo pro is the expensive complete wireless which is great for the places in do not have power handy. You can plug a hard drive into the base station to record all. Now the ultra cheap that frankly is just as good/better. The wyze cam. Now honestly its so Good and cheap I'm almost willing to figure out how to run a power wire. Anyways each camera can house an SD card. On SD resolution it's like 2 weeks of continual recording or 7 days of hd... Pretty badass.

0 Not allowed!

The continues recording: does it automatically delete old footage to record new?
    And how are the files broken down (example: file every 5 hours or one large continues file)

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Yes and.. I'm not sure how it's broken down.. Haven't looked at the files separately yet. You can playback in the app and save a chunk.. Not sure about taking out the SD card

1 Not allowed!

Dic on

I have Arlo and it meets your needs, Sav. Up to 4 cameras no subscription needed. over 4 cameras I believe its a small monthly fee for cloud storage.

1 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Arlo allows up to 5 cameras with no fee. PM me, I have a 5 camera Gen 1 set that I would sell.

1 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Blue Iris is a low cost software VMS that has no monthly fee, offers push notifications, and works with most IP cameras. However, the cost savings are modest for small systems.

The software is $60. Energy costs for a CPU yearly can be $30-$50. And you need to have a spare computer around, and buy the cameras.

Nest subscriptions start at $50/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Can anyone recommend a system that send notifications when it detects movement and/or cloud/SD card storage that does NOT have subscription costs?
    We currently have nest and foscam and although quality is great I donít want the monthly cost.

0 Not allowed!

I always drop $200-$300 on what appears to be the best compromise of quality and cost to only find it is outdated and cumbersome by today’s standards

I have the wired 720p one...thinking about adding the ring doorbell

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

I have the full Ring system w/ a few outdoor cameras and professional monitoring. It seemed like the best value at the time, the whole system with two outdoor cameras and lots of other shit came in at ~$500 on prime day, plus $100 a year for professional monitoring and unlimited cloud storage. In hindsight, kind of wish I went with a more open system, like Abode. Overall pretty happy with it though. Had my indoor motion sensor go off once while traveling and didnt notice the push notification. Got a call immediately from Ring, ended up calling the local PD who did a drive-by and got back to me within 20 minutes. It all worked pretty well.

Issues- hard to integrate with other stuff, and the Ring-branded products are not cheap. The indoor cams are $180 a pop, which is ridiculous for what they are. Integration is getting better over time, now works with Alexa and apparently the Echo products will act as glass break sensors in the near future (one of the major deficiencies with the standard Ring alarm package).

0 Not allowed!

I'm looking into zmodo. Wireless or poe cameras, 1080p, cloud recording or local storage and you can set motion detection zones and times.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I always drop $200-$300 on what appears to be the best compromise of quality and cost to only find it is outdated and cumbersome by today’s standards
    This is the most Bhavesh thing I've ever heard.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Dying

That just rounded out 2018 for me...

1 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

subscribed...

i've been looking at Arlo Pro 2 camera system...the problem is i live on a main road so a lot of cars pass by...not sure if these cameras are actual motion or infrared motion?...and from what i understand Arlo cameras only allow detection zones if they are plugged in and i don't want to have to wire it outside...at the same time if they are battery powered and installed outside i would have to pull them off the mounts and swap batteries and readjust each time...not sure how long the batteries last especially in the cold weather...if i install it inside i'm not sure if it will see motion on the outside if it is actually infrared motion...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075P84FH2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

i looked at the Ring doorbell but i don't want to pay their monthly fee...

at the moment i'm sometimes running a free app called Manything with an old iphone 4 on a small bendable tripod pointed outside acting as the camera...it's true motion not infrared motion so it works surprisingly well through the window, has detection zones, records the clips, alerts you, view the clips through the app...the problem is the iphone has to be plugged in all the time and the phone old so i'm worried about the battery blowing up...also i think they may have made it so you have to pay...i haven't used it in a while or updated the app so it may not be free anymore...i'll have to try it and see

Manything | FAQs

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 12-28-18 at 10:53 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast