Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 70 of 70

Home Surveillance Options

  1. #51
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,795

    Re: Home Surveillance Options


    Can I split my WiFi in 2 networks? One for the cameras and smart tv and another for equipment like Holmes and laptops?
    Will that any effect on speeds?

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #52
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Natick
    Posts
    1,216

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I'm looking into zmodo. Wireless or poe cameras, 1080p, cloud recording or local storage and you can set motion detection zones and times.
    I have Zmodo as well.. the wyze cam still beats the crap out of it.. plus being able to add in your own card works great. I have some of the other outdoor cameras I was testing for zmodo, and those do not offer the storage. 2 or 3 years later, and my inside pan one is glitching and restarting itself..

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #53
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Natick
    Posts
    1,216

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    subscribed...

    i've been looking at Arlo Pro 2 camera system...the problem is i live on a main road so a lot of cars pass by...not sure if these cameras are actual motion or infrared motion?...and from what i understand Arlo cameras only allow detection zones if they are plugged in and i don't want to have to wire it outside...at the same time if they are battery powered and installed outside i would have to pull them off the mounts and swap batteries and readjust each time...not sure how long the batteries last especially in the cold weather...if i install it inside i'm not sure if it will see motion on the outside if it is actually infrared motion...

    Amazon.com : Arlo Pro 2 - Wireless Home Security Camera System with Siren | Rechargeable, Night vision, Indoor/Outdoor, 1080p, 2-Way Audio, Wall Mount | Cloud Storage Included | 2 camera kit (VMS4230P) : Camera & Photo

    i looked at the Ring doorbell but i don't want to pay their monthly fee...

    at the moment i'm sometimes running a free app called Manything with an old iphone 4 on a small bendable tripod pointed outside acting as the camera...it's true motion not infrared motion so it works surprisingly well through the window, has detection zones, records the clips, alerts you, view the clips through the app...the problem is the iphone has to be plugged in all the time and the phone old so i'm worried about the battery blowing up...also i think they may have made it so you have to pay...i haven't used it in a while or updated the app so it may not be free anymore...i'll have to try it and see

    Manything | FAQs
    I do not see an option to set a detection zone on my arlo pro2. The wyze cam has it though. (I'm really for it if you can't see by my comments). Right now I get about 30 or so detection events at my front door a day... the battery is lasting about 3 weeks. I had it more pointed towards the street and it was killing the battery because of the motion so it would be a bad idea. This is why I pulled a wire through and I'm rolling full record as well as a detection zone with the wyze cam. On the contrary, the back of the house which I use just to look (the distance is so far they actually have to be on my deck for it to trigger the motion sensor) it's hanging outside on the roof soffit. It has been without a charge in this cold weather for like 3 months.. totally crazy. Indoors, however, in the kids playroom that sucker rings on and off since the kids play there a lot. I have to charge that maybe once a month, and I attribute it all to the balmy 72 degrees the house is set at. My settings are for a full 3 minute video clip to be sent to the cloud (and now it's plugged into my own hard drive at the hub.. ).

    1 Not allowed!

  4. #54
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Natick
    Posts
    1,216

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Can I split my WiFi in 2 networks? One for the cameras and smart tv and another for equipment like Holmes and laptops?
    Will that any effect on speeds?
    If you have a guest network and a private network .. or you have a 2.4ghz and 5 ghz you can split it up. Depends on your router you could throttle it. Ultimately it's the bandwidth coming into your house. I'm on fios with a grandfathered 100mbs plan. I have a mesh network router to boost strength like gangbusters since I have so many connected devices and tv's. The only time I noticed a slight slowdown was when we had our big Asian bash parties with like 30+ pple around.. so netflix was slow. It's all because of that mesh wifi network though, because with the default verizon router it would have been overloaded and not only would chug slowly, but devices would randomly get kicked off because the router couldn't handle that many connections or data.

    1 Not allowed!

  5. #55
    Lifer LuvDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ashland, MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    I could set up a motion zone with my Arlo.

    0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

  6. #56
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    I could set up a motion zone with my Arlo.
    on battery or plugged in?

    0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  7. #57
    Lifer LuvDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ashland, MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    on battery or plugged in?
    I think with battery too. I don’t have it connected anymore though, so I can check.

    1 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

  8. #58
    Member jimmycapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NW CT
    Posts
    227

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Cowork just installed one of these overlooking his garage area. Video quality is excellent. Don't know much else about it, but I know the doorbells are popular.

    Floodlight Cam | Outdoor Home Video Security System



    | Ring

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jimmycapp; 12-31-18 at 09:34 AM. Reason: didn't realize this was 6 yrs old.

  9. #59
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    I do not see an option to set a detection zone on my arlo pro2. The wyze cam has it though. (I'm really for it if you can't see by my comments). Right now I get about 30 or so detection events at my front door a day... the battery is lasting about 3 weeks. I had it more pointed towards the street and it was killing the battery because of the motion so it would be a bad idea. This is why I pulled a wire through and I'm rolling full record as well as a detection zone with the wyze cam. On the contrary, the back of the house which I use just to look (the distance is so far they actually have to be on my deck for it to trigger the motion sensor) it's hanging outside on the roof soffit. It has been without a charge in this cold weather for like 3 months.. totally crazy. Indoors, however, in the kids playroom that sucker rings on and off since the kids play there a lot. I have to charge that maybe once a month, and I attribute it all to the balmy 72 degrees the house is set at. My settings are for a full 3 minute video clip to be sent to the cloud (and now it's plugged into my own hard drive at the hub.. ).
    my aim would be to capture things happening outside my house...the wyze cameras seem to be all indoor cameras but they do have free cloud storage which is nice...i may put one inside my house but having 2 dogs i'm not sure if i would use motion on it so it would probably just be a check in camera...i guess the question i have with all these options are if they are true motion or infrared motion...i don't think infrared motion would fare too well through a window from the inside of the house but having them wired and not having to recharge batteries would be nice...on the other hand having the camera outside would give a better field of view and there wouldn't be a window to interfere with the picture...i have a covered porch on the front of my house so i may be able to position the camera so i don't really need a detection zone but i feel like it would be better to have it instead of having to adjust each time a battery is swapped out

    Wyze | Making Great Technology Accessible

    my issues:
    -want free cloud storage
    -true motion (better for inside camera or outside camera if detection zones are available) vs infrared motion (fine for inside or outside but may not pickup cars in the driveway)
    -outside battery life vs indoor wired
    -detection zones due to busy street

    i was also checking out blink cameras...seem like they don't have detection zones either...they seem to have sensitivity settings which people seem to be confusing in the question section

    https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Home-Se...2Bstorage&th=1

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 12-31-18 at 10:20 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  10. #60
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,313

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    I have Zmodo as well.. the wyze cam still beats the crap out of it.. plus being able to add in your own card works great. I have some of the other outdoor cameras I was testing for zmodo, and those do not offer the storage. 2 or 3 years later, and my inside pan one is glitching and restarting itself..
    Can any of the Wyze cams be mounted outside?

    0 Not allowed!

  11. #61
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    looks like Blink has a beta version of activity zones...
    Activity Zones (Beta) Not Working – Blink Support
    How to Configure Activity Zones – Blink Support


    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Can any of the Wyze cams be mounted outside?
    not that i saw

    0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  12. #62
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    15,887

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    I have a Ring floodlight camera mounted over my garage now, thanks to a very well intentioned family gift.

    It creeps the hell out of me. I thought I wanted a security camera. Now I'm not so sure. We are on the free 30 day trial. I strongly doubt we'll be paying for this. I'm very annoyed that it doesn't store any video without a paid service plan. That blows. Most others seem to store motion events for a week or something. $30/year is bullshit. Yesterday I'm at work and it was going nuts. Because of the snow I think. I think it detected the snowflakes as "motion". Other than that the motion sensing has been pretty good. I got to see the mail man leave packages in the garage my wife accidentally left open for the day. I got to see the oil guy deliver oil. I got to see my wife and her daughter clearing off the car to go to preschool.. then I got to listen in on them.. then I got to speak to them from he heavens.

    Overall I'd rate the experience as a solid 9/10 on the creepy scale.

    Video quality is stunning though. Very, very clear.

    I'm excited to finally have LEDs on that flood light as I was getting tired of replacing halogen bulbs on that fixture. LED bulbs are <$5/ea at the despot now. But I hadn't gotten around to outfitting this one fixture yet.

    Also mixed feelings on the camera/light unit itself. Not compatible with the square box the old light was on. Had to replace that first. Then had to mar the locking nuts on one of the lamp stalks as it was overtightened. Then stripped one of the finger joint adjusters on the other stalk. Lots of plastic. Somewhat shocking considering what they charge for the unit.

    Just not super impressed.

    0 Not allowed!

  13. #63
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,313

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    looks like Blink has a beta version of activity zones...
    Activity Zones (Beta) Not Working – Blink Support
    How to Configure Activity Zones – Blink Support




    not that i saw
    I did some looking around last night and there are multiple wyze cam outside mounts and covers available. When placed under an eve or reasonably sheltered from rain they look like they will last. And for 25$ you aren't taking a huge loss if it dies.

    I'm going to build a wyze system tonight on Amazon and see what I come up with. 3 cameras, wiring and mounts for under 100$ that have night vision, local recording, dvr option and ptz seems like a home run.

    0 Not allowed!

  14. #64
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I did some looking around last night and there are multiple wyze cam outside mounts and covers available. When placed under an eve or reasonably sheltered from rain they look like they will last. And for 25$ you aren't taking a huge loss if it dies.

    I'm going to build a wyze system tonight on Amazon and see what I come up with. 3 cameras, wiring and mounts for under 100$ that have night vision, local recording, dvr option and ptz seems like a home run.
    i saw those enclosures on amazon as well...it looks like a good option if you don't need activity zones and if you have a sheltered location to mount them in because the enclosures are not waterproof...the benefit of 14 days of unlimited free storage is the big benefit

    the issue with a wyze camera being mounted inside for outside surveillance is...

    "Out a window: When Wyze Cam Pan is pointed out of a window, the light emitted by the LED infrared lights will be reflected by the window, obscuring the image. Wyze Cam Pan is not designed for Night Vision to be used through a window, but some community members have found creative ways to make it work. Read through our Forums to see what’s worked for them."

    Wyze Community

    https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Mroun...rds=wyze&psc=1



    i like that blink has free storage up to 2 hours of time and then it will cannibalize itself oldest to newest

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 01-04-19 at 12:57 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  15. #65
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,313

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    i saw those enclosures on amazon as well...it looks like a good option if you don't need activity zones and if you have a sheltered location to mount them in because the enclosures are not waterproof...the benefit of 14 days of unlimited free storage is the big benefit

    the issue with a wyze camera being mounted inside for outside surveillance is...

    "Out a window: When Wyze Cam Pan is pointed out of a window, the light emitted by the LED infrared lights will be reflected by the window, obscuring the image. Wyze Cam Pan is not designed for Night Vision to be used through a window, but some community members have found creative ways to make it work. Read through our Forums to see what’s worked for them."

    Wyze Community

    https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Mroun...rds=wyze&psc=1



    i like that blink has free storage up to 2 hours of time and then it will cannibalize itself oldest to newest
    I've been doing a lot of reading on them. My thought is basically that if they last a year, or even 2 seasons it will give me an idea of how often I check them, how important they are to me once they're installed and how much we utilize them in our home between my wife and I. With Wyze, I can make that investment for about 125$ including cameras, enclosures, wiring, SD cards etc. I can get one PTZ and two fixed cameras up which will cover the front of my house, driveway and garage. If the whole systems goes tits up, I've at least answered my own question about how important the system is to us, without going into the deep end with wired cameras and storage fees.

    0 Not allowed!

  16. #66
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I've been doing a lot of reading on them. My thought is basically that if they last a year, or even 2 seasons it will give me an idea of how often I check them, how important they are to me once they're installed and how much we utilize them in our home between my wife and I. With Wyze, I can make that investment for about 125$ including cameras, enclosures, wiring, SD cards etc. I can get one PTZ and two fixed cameras up which will cover the front of my house, driveway and garage. If the whole systems goes tits up, I've at least answered my own question about how important the system is to us, without going into the deep end with wired cameras and storage fees.
    Smart approach...like a cheap test drive that may end up being exactly what you want...its all going to come down to how much you have to maintain them...if they become more of a pain in the ass to keep working that could be the only issue...but if not and you like but want more you can upgrade to a legit system since you already wired...remember to leave a pull line in the wall with your wires...if wyze had activity zones I would probably do the same...that is a need for me with the main road...cause if I was getting notifications every second Id never check it to see if something was happening...it would be an after the fact reactive measure which may not yield anything the police can use


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  17. #67
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    may be ordering a blink system soon...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 01-10-19 at 09:42 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  18. #68
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    ordered the blink 3 camera from amazon...once i figure out mounting locations i may buy a few of these depending where i have them mounted...

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DL7Y3GM...v_ov_lig_dp_it

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPN5HF7...v_ov_lig_dp_it

    0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  19. #69
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,313

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Post up after you've used it for a little bit please. I'm still sorta on the fence about what if anything to go with.

    0 Not allowed!

  20. #70
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Home Surveillance Options

    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Post up after you've used it for a little bit please. I'm still sorta on the fence about what if anything to go with.
    will do...just understand that i don't have many options for what i was looking for...not many outdoor truly wireless systems with activity zones and free cloud storage

    0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •