Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home Surveillance Options

Re: Home Surveillance Options

Can I split my WiFi in 2 networks? One for the cameras and smart tv and another for equipment like Holmes and laptops?
    Will that any effect on speeds?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I'm looking into zmodo. Wireless or poe cameras, 1080p, cloud recording or local storage and you can set motion detection zones and times.
    I have Zmodo as well.. the wyze cam still beats the crap out of it.. plus being able to add in your own card works great. I have some of the other outdoor cameras I was testing for zmodo, and those do not offer the storage. 2 or 3 years later, and my inside pan one is glitching and restarting itself..

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    subscribed...

i've been looking at Arlo Pro 2 camera system...the problem is i live on a main road so a lot of cars pass by...not sure if these cameras are actual motion or infrared motion?...and from what i understand Arlo cameras only allow detection zones if they are plugged in and i don't want to have to wire it outside...at the same time if they are battery powered and installed outside i would have to pull them off the mounts and swap batteries and readjust each time...not sure how long the batteries last especially in the cold weather...if i install it inside i'm not sure if it will see motion on the outside if it is actually infrared motion...

Amazon.com : Arlo Pro 2 - Wireless Home Security Camera System with Siren | Rechargeable, Night vision, Indoor/Outdoor, 1080p, 2-Way Audio, Wall Mount | Cloud Storage Included | 2 camera kit (VMS4230P) : Camera & Photo

i looked at the Ring doorbell but i don't want to pay their monthly fee...

at the moment i'm sometimes running a free app called Manything with an old iphone 4 on a small bendable tripod pointed outside acting as the camera...it's true motion not infrared motion so it works surprisingly well through the window, has detection zones, records the clips, alerts you, view the clips through the app...the problem is the iphone has to be plugged in all the time and the phone old so i'm worried about the battery blowing up...also i think they may have made it so you have to pay...i haven't used it in a while or updated the app so it may not be free anymore...i'll have to try it and see

Manything | FAQs
    I do not see an option to set a detection zone on my arlo pro2. The wyze cam has it though. (I'm really for it if you can't see by my comments). Right now I get about 30 or so detection events at my front door a day... the battery is lasting about 3 weeks. I had it more pointed towards the street and it was killing the battery because of the motion so it would be a bad idea. This is why I pulled a wire through and I'm rolling full record as well as a detection zone with the wyze cam. On the contrary, the back of the house which I use just to look (the distance is so far they actually have to be on my deck for it to trigger the motion sensor) it's hanging outside on the roof soffit. It has been without a charge in this cold weather for like 3 months.. totally crazy. Indoors, however, in the kids playroom that sucker rings on and off since the kids play there a lot. I have to charge that maybe once a month, and I attribute it all to the balmy 72 degrees the house is set at. My settings are for a full 3 minute video clip to be sent to the cloud (and now it's plugged into my own hard drive at the hub.. ).

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Can I split my WiFi in 2 networks? One for the cameras and smart tv and another for equipment like Holmes and laptops?
    Will that any effect on speeds?
    If you have a guest network and a private network .. or you have a 2.4ghz and 5 ghz you can split it up. Depends on your router you could throttle it. Ultimately it's the bandwidth coming into your house. I'm on fios with a grandfathered 100mbs plan. I have a mesh network router to boost strength like gangbusters since I have so many connected devices and tv's. The only time I noticed a slight slowdown was when we had our big Asian bash parties with like 30+ pple around.. so netflix was slow. It's all because of that mesh wifi network though, because with the default verizon router it would have been overloaded and not only would chug slowly, but devices would randomly get kicked off because the router couldn't handle that many connections or data.

1 Not allowed!

I could set up a motion zone with my Arlo.

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    I could set up a motion zone with my Arlo.
    on battery or plugged in?

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

on battery or plugged in?
    I think with battery too. I don’t have it connected anymore though, so I can check.

1 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Cowork just installed one of these overlooking his garage area. Video quality is excellent. Don't know much else about it, but I know the doorbells are popular.

Floodlight Cam | Outdoor Home Video Security System

| Ring

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jimmycapp; 12-31-18 at 09:34 AM. Reason: didn't realize this was 6 yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    I do not see an option to set a detection zone on my arlo pro2. The wyze cam has it though. (I'm really for it if you can't see by my comments). Right now I get about 30 or so detection events at my front door a day... the battery is lasting about 3 weeks. I had it more pointed towards the street and it was killing the battery because of the motion so it would be a bad idea. This is why I pulled a wire through and I'm rolling full record as well as a detection zone with the wyze cam. On the contrary, the back of the house which I use just to look (the distance is so far they actually have to be on my deck for it to trigger the motion sensor) it's hanging outside on the roof soffit. It has been without a charge in this cold weather for like 3 months.. totally crazy. Indoors, however, in the kids playroom that sucker rings on and off since the kids play there a lot. I have to charge that maybe once a month, and I attribute it all to the balmy 72 degrees the house is set at. My settings are for a full 3 minute video clip to be sent to the cloud (and now it's plugged into my own hard drive at the hub.. ).
    my aim would be to capture things happening outside my house...the wyze cameras seem to be all indoor cameras but they do have free cloud storage which is nice...i may put one inside my house but having 2 dogs i'm not sure if i would use motion on it so it would probably just be a check in camera...i guess the question i have with all these options are if they are true motion or infrared motion...i don't think infrared motion would fare too well through a window from the inside of the house but having them wired and not having to recharge batteries would be nice...on the other hand having the camera outside would give a better field of view and there wouldn't be a window to interfere with the picture...i have a covered porch on the front of my house so i may be able to position the camera so i don't really need a detection zone but i feel like it would be better to have it instead of having to adjust each time a battery is swapped out

Wyze | Making Great Technology Accessible

my issues:
    -want free cloud storage
    -true motion (better for inside camera or outside camera if detection zones are available) vs infrared motion (fine for inside or outside but may not pickup cars in the driveway)
    -outside battery life vs indoor wired
    -detection zones due to busy street

i was also checking out blink cameras...seem like they don't have detection zones either...they seem to have sensitivity settings which people seem to be confusing in the question section

https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Home-Se...2Bstorage&th=1

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 12-31-18 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    I have Zmodo as well.. the wyze cam still beats the crap out of it.. plus being able to add in your own card works great. I have some of the other outdoor cameras I was testing for zmodo, and those do not offer the storage. 2 or 3 years later, and my inside pan one is glitching and restarting itself..
    Can any of the Wyze cams be mounted outside?

0 Not allowed!

looks like Blink has a beta version of activity zones...
    Activity Zones (Beta) Not Working – Blink Support
    How to Configure Activity Zones – Blink Support

Can any of the Wyze cams be mounted outside?
    not that i saw

0 Not allowed!

I have a Ring floodlight camera mounted over my garage now, thanks to a very well intentioned family gift.

It creeps the hell out of me. I thought I wanted a security camera. Now I'm not so sure. We are on the free 30 day trial. I strongly doubt we'll be paying for this. I'm very annoyed that it doesn't store any video without a paid service plan. That blows. Most others seem to store motion events for a week or something. $30/year is bullshit. Yesterday I'm at work and it was going nuts. Because of the snow I think. I think it detected the snowflakes as "motion". Other than that the motion sensing has been pretty good. I got to see the mail man leave packages in the garage my wife accidentally left open for the day. I got to see the oil guy deliver oil. I got to see my wife and her daughter clearing off the car to go to preschool.. then I got to listen in on them.. then I got to speak to them from he heavens.

Overall I'd rate the experience as a solid 9/10 on the creepy scale.

Video quality is stunning though. Very, very clear.

I'm excited to finally have LEDs on that flood light as I was getting tired of replacing halogen bulbs on that fixture. LED bulbs are <$5/ea at the despot now. But I hadn't gotten around to outfitting this one fixture yet.

Also mixed feelings on the camera/light unit itself. Not compatible with the square box the old light was on. Had to replace that first. Then had to mar the locking nuts on one of the lamp stalks as it was overtightened. Then stripped one of the finger joint adjusters on the other stalk. Lots of plastic. Somewhat shocking considering what they charge for the unit.

Just not super impressed.

0 Not allowed!

looks like Blink has a beta version of activity zones...
    Activity Zones (Beta) Not Working – Blink Support
    How to Configure Activity Zones – Blink Support

not that i saw
    I did some looking around last night and there are multiple wyze cam outside mounts and covers available. When placed under an eve or reasonably sheltered from rain they look like they will last. And for 25$ you aren't taking a huge loss if it dies.

I'm going to build a wyze system tonight on Amazon and see what I come up with. 3 cameras, wiring and mounts for under 100$ that have night vision, local recording, dvr option and ptz seems like a home run.

0 Not allowed!

I did some looking around last night and there are multiple wyze cam outside mounts and covers available. When placed under an eve or reasonably sheltered from rain they look like they will last. And for 25$ you aren't taking a huge loss if it dies.

I'm going to build a wyze system tonight on Amazon and see what I come up with. 3 cameras, wiring and mounts for under 100$ that have night vision, local recording, dvr option and ptz seems like a home run.
    i saw those enclosures on amazon as well...it looks like a good option if you don't need activity zones and if you have a sheltered location to mount them in because the enclosures are not waterproof...the benefit of 14 days of unlimited free storage is the big benefit

the issue with a wyze camera being mounted inside for outside surveillance is...

"Out a window: When Wyze Cam Pan is pointed out of a window, the light emitted by the LED infrared lights will be reflected by the window, obscuring the image. Wyze Cam Pan is not designed for Night Vision to be used through a window, but some community members have found creative ways to make it work. Read through our Forums to see what’s worked for them."

Wyze Community

https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Mroun...rds=wyze&psc=1

i like that blink has free storage up to 2 hours of time and then it will cannibalize itself oldest to newest

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 01-04-19 at 12:57 PM.

i saw those enclosures on amazon as well...it looks like a good option if you don't need activity zones and if you have a sheltered location to mount them in because the enclosures are not waterproof...the benefit of 14 days of unlimited free storage is the big benefit

the issue with a wyze camera being mounted inside for outside surveillance is...

"Out a window: When Wyze Cam Pan is pointed out of a window, the light emitted by the LED infrared lights will be reflected by the window, obscuring the image. Wyze Cam Pan is not designed for Night Vision to be used through a window, but some community members have found creative ways to make it work. Read through our Forums to see what’s worked for them."

Wyze Community

https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Mroun...rds=wyze&psc=1

i like that blink has free storage up to 2 hours of time and then it will cannibalize itself oldest to newest
    I've been doing a lot of reading on them. My thought is basically that if they last a year, or even 2 seasons it will give me an idea of how often I check them, how important they are to me once they're installed and how much we utilize them in our home between my wife and I. With Wyze, I can make that investment for about 125$ including cameras, enclosures, wiring, SD cards etc. I can get one PTZ and two fixed cameras up which will cover the front of my house, driveway and garage. If the whole systems goes tits up, I've at least answered my own question about how important the system is to us, without going into the deep end with wired cameras and storage fees.

0 Not allowed!

I've been doing a lot of reading on them. My thought is basically that if they last a year, or even 2 seasons it will give me an idea of how often I check them, how important they are to me once they're installed and how much we utilize them in our home between my wife and I. With Wyze, I can make that investment for about 125$ including cameras, enclosures, wiring, SD cards etc. I can get one PTZ and two fixed cameras up which will cover the front of my house, driveway and garage. If the whole systems goes tits up, I've at least answered my own question about how important the system is to us, without going into the deep end with wired cameras and storage fees.
    Smart approach...like a cheap test drive that may end up being exactly what you want...its all going to come down to how much you have to maintain them...if they become more of a pain in the ass to keep working that could be the only issue...but if not and you like but want more you can upgrade to a legit system since you already wired...remember to leave a pull line in the wall with your wires...if wyze had activity zones I would probably do the same...that is a need for me with the main road...cause if I was getting notifications every second Id never check it to see if something was happening...it would be an after the fact reactive measure which may not yield anything the police can use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!

may be ordering a blink system soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 01-10-19 at 09:42 AM.

ordered the blink 3 camera from amazon...once i figure out mounting locations i may buy a few of these depending where i have them mounted...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DL7Y3GM...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPN5HF7...v_ov_lig_dp_it

0 Not allowed!

Post up after you've used it for a little bit please. I'm still sorta on the fence about what if anything to go with.

0 Not allowed!

Post up after you've used it for a little bit please. I'm still sorta on the fence about what if anything to go with.
    will do...just understand that i don't have many options for what i was looking for...not many outdoor truly wireless systems with activity zones and free cloud storage

0 Not allowed!

will do...just understand that i don't have many options for what i was looking for...not many outdoor truly wireless systems with activity zones and free cloud storage
    bump...tried it yet?

----unrelated

I started chasing down the rabbit hole, and found this and this

I like the high level summary of what's available:
    1.) wired is best, the $100-$300ish - but sometimes the video quality is old school/low quality/construction build not so great on the cheaper ones. HD failures as mentioned above
    2.) NEST/simplisafe - good video quality, easy setup (plug and play), often have to pay for storage. The exceptions are described above (ie. blink).
    3.) wireless plug and play - my bro in law has this. Records/loops to a microSD card. 2 way audio. Use an app to view from the road. $60/camera...3.5ish star reviews
    4.) an old cell phone with an app as mentioned above

I think #3 a plug in power wifi + microSD card camera (that loops) w' app viewing would be ideal for my parents...or if you want it legit, a good camera wired up with an NVR so you don't have to pay for storage but the cameras are $160ish alone. That's what I would buy for my own place. now to dig through those forums/reviews and fine one that would work for me.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-16-19 at 11:10 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

I've been using Nest and fairly happy with them. PM me if you have questions

0 Not allowed!
    EX 105 : AMA, ASRA, CCS South East, and WERA
    2014 ASRA SuperStock National Champion - Amateur Division
    Thanks to my 2017 sponsors: All Balls Racing, Galfer, K&N, Motul, Sidi Boots, Vortex, Woodcraft, Yoshimura R&D

To follow up on the wyze camera discussion. The wyzecam community on reddit is very active so I used that for a lot of my research. I ended up getting the wyze pan (ptz) mounted below my garage soffit. Many many reports state the camera when covered even partially resists rain and foul weather. I figured if this camera lasts me 6 month I'll at least know if I want to spend more on a better one. If it lasts longer, even better. I know it gives my wife piece of mind since I work nights. I have a fixed camera ready to be installed above the door. Just waiting on a longer micro USB cable. Right now all cameras are on 2.4ghz wifi. I have two network extenders for whole home coverage. Cameras run on the 2.4 network and our devices run on 5ghz. So far it works really well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Surveillance Options-screenshot_20190716-123759-jpg   Home Surveillance Options-screenshot_20190716-123844-jpg  

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    bump...tried it yet?

----unrelated

I started chasing down the rabbit hole, and found this and this

I like the high level summary of what's available:
    1.) wired is best, the $100-$300ish - but sometimes the video quality is old school/low quality/construction build not so great on the cheaper ones. HD failures as mentioned above
    2.) NEST/simplisafe - good video quality, easy setup (plug and play), often have to pay for storage. The exceptions are described above (ie. blink).
    3.) wireless plug and play - my bro in law has this. Records/loops to a microSD card. 2 way audio. Use an app to view from the road. $60/camera...3.5ish star reviews
    4.) an old cell phone with an app as mentioned above

I think #3 a plug in power wifi + microSD card camera (that loops) w' app viewing would be ideal for my parents...or if you want it legit, a good camera wired up with an NVR so you don't have to pay for storage but the cameras are $160ish alone. That's what I would buy for my own place. now to dig through those forums/reviews and fine one that would work for me.
    so i've had 2 cameras of the blink system installed since 6/16 (so 1 month exactly)...i have not yet installed the 3rd camera in the back of my house yet cause that would be a manual turn on and off pretty much at night/morning cause we always use the backyard (especially in the summer since my wife is a teacher) but are never in the front yard other than to pick up mail, cut the lawn, drive out of the driveway or put out the garbage...you can't schedule specific cameras at the moment only the whole system...i'd like to be able to schedule individual cameras, if they can add that to their feature updates that would be nice...right now i have 1 camera pointed at the driveway from the front corner of my ~30' wide porch (driveway goes up the side of the house and around back)...and 1 camera on the back corner on the other side of the porch faced in the same direction to pick up the front door...i like the activity zone feature very much...cause it cuts down on the alerts that i get living on a main road and i assume extends the battery life...i can't really give the cameras a range cause it depends on the sensitivity settings...the cameras seem to have issues with light at night...passing cars can cast light on my front lawn which is about 45' from my porch and the camera will pick those up and record...i also have issues with cobwebs and bugs getting picked up by the cameras...other than that i'm still messing with activity zones, sensitivity, clip length and retrigger time settings once every other week to make sure it picks up every time someone comes into the driveway or someone delivers something to the house while trying to make sure i conserve battery life...i haven't started to use the scheduling feature...i just changed the settings this morning to a retrigger time of 20s (out of 60s total) sensitivity of 4 (out of 9 total) and a clip length of 10s (out of 60s total)...we'll see how this goes

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 07-16-19 at 12:39 PM.

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

I've had a Blink system for a while. Started with 2 cameras, now up to 5. Cloud storage but that means the system goes dead if the internet connection goes down. Not Ideal.
    activity zones, sound record or not, scheduled enable / disable if you want that.
    "saver" quality video uses a lot less battery than full quality.
    if anyone has questions, ask away

0 Not allowed!
    Get out while you can

Find your own path

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast