Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Home Surveillance Options

Re: Home Surveillance Options

i'm getting like 10 clips a night with 1 of my blink cameras cause i live on a main road and the camera is picking up the headlights shining on my lawn/driveway as cars pass...i have my sensitivity set to 5 and i just blocked out another square in the activity zone to see if that helps...if i block out too much or drop the sensitivity too low it won't pick me up driving in/out of my driveway sometimes...tough to dial these things in with my situation...just turned both cameras onto saver quality mode so thanks for that idea

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    i'm getting like 10 clips a night with 1 of my blink cameras cause i live on a main road and the camera is picking up the headlights shining on my lawn/driveway as cars pass...i have my sensitivity set to 5 and i just blocked out another square in the activity zone to see if that helps...if i block out too much or drop the sensitivity too low it won't pick me up driving in/out of my driveway sometimes...tough to dial these things in with my situation...just turned both cameras onto saver quality mode so thanks for that idea

Get out while you can

Find your own path

3 posts all spam advertisement (?). Enjoy your ban

been noticing lots of post notifications on the neighborhood app lately...mostly thieves pulling car doors at night to see if they can get in and steal something or people walking into someones backyard

I've had 3 blink Cams setup for about a month now. I like it, but i have one complaint.

It doesn't appear as though you can view a camera live, WHILE it is recording. So for example, I'm sitting at my dining room table and see a car drive up the driveway, open the app, go to the garage camera to see what they are doing/who they are, and I get a "camera is busy" notice because the motion sensor tripped the camera to record.

So if live monitoring is a requirement for you, blink may not be the best.

what i like about the Nest cameras is you can also set a zone. for example, a doorbell camera would normally pick up moving cars or dog walkers. but you can create a zone of your property to only get notifications.

EX 105 : AMA, ASRA, CCS South East, and WERA
    2014 ASRA SuperStock National Champion - Amateur Division
    Thanks to my sponsors: Motul, Michelin/STS, K&N, Woodcraft, Yoshimura R&D All Balls Racing, Galfer, Sidi Boots, Vortex

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Can I split my WiFi in 2 networks? One for the cameras and smart tv and another for equipment like Holmes and laptops?
    Will that any effect on speeds?
    to simply answer this, yes.
    to be more complex: it depends on your router's capabilities

EX 105 : AMA, ASRA, CCS South East, and WERA
    2014 ASRA SuperStock National Champion - Amateur Division
    Thanks to my sponsors: Motul, Michelin/STS, K&N, Woodcraft, Yoshimura R&D All Balls Racing, Galfer, Sidi Boots, Vortex

Anyone have experience with wired DVR systems like Lorex? I'm sold on the concept but have no experience with them.

I plan to put cameras under the eaves of my house to view all four sides of the exterior. To me, wifi is just too unstable. First, you are dependent on having power where as you can run a back up power supply to the drives for a wired DVR system. I understand that I still need power for the connectivity (phone alerts, cloud storage, etc.) but at least with the DVR I have a back up recording if the power goes out due to the BUPS. Also with wifi I find the connection itself just isnt' as stable. I currently have two wifi cameras for watching my kids in the playroom on the third floor and it kind of sucks. It freezes, there is a huge delay for both audio and video, and it sometimes doesn't connect when you want it to. It seems a wired system would address this.

I have a finished third floor with access to the eaves behind the knee walls. My plan is to put the drive on the third floor and run the wires to the cameras behind the knee walls. The video would record to the drives which would also be connected to the network via wifi so I'd still have alerts, cloud storage etc. It would be a very straight forward installation. The only challenge will be hanging the cameras under the eaves (not a fan of working high up).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    what i like about the Nest cameras is you can also set a zone. for example, a doorbell camera would normally pick up moving cars or dog walkers. but you can create a zone of your property to only get notifications.
    you can do this with blink cameras too

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    Anyone have experience with wired DVR systems like Lorex?
    Yes, lots of experience. What do you want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    to simply answer this, yes.
    to be more complex: it depends on your router's capabilities
    I don’t remember if I updated this but I got some new Linkys WiFi router. What I did is I made that one my main router and plug the Apple WiFi router in it. The Linkys gives me the ability to prioritize devices connected to it. So I left all the smart things connected to the Apple router and put it on low priority. Then took our phones and TVs connected to Linkys and put them on high priority. It’s been working great and it’s been a while since I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by audiojeff View Post
    Yes, lots of experience. What do you want to know.
    What system do you recommend? I'm expecting to spend in the $700 range (more if necessary) for 4 outdoor cameras and two indoor. Besides the more complex installation what are the drawbacks of wired DVR systems? I'm guessing the drive will need to be replaced every few years.

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    What system do you recommend? I'm expecting to spend in the $700 range (more if necessary) for 4 outdoor cameras and two indoor. Besides the more complex installation what are the drawbacks of wired DVR systems? I'm guessing the drive will need to be replaced every few years.
    I don't typically recommend indoor cameras for a residence. There are exceptions of course, but in general it is very difficult to balance privacy concerns and functionality. Outdoor cameras, its tough to find a better value for dollar than Hikvision. Its what all of the security professionals you would hire use, unless its for a government contract, because those projects specifically ban Dahua and Hikvision products. [Lorex is Dahua's entry level consumer gear.] The workhorse of the Hikvision product line is the DS-2CD2385FWD-I, $125-$195ea depending on the reseller.

There are a large number of camera makes that source cameras from Hikvision and Dahua. Right now Annke is offering a particularly strong value for a Hikvision build ($95ea). I prefer to use cameras right from Hikvision USA, because of the support for firmware and updates, but its not the absolute cheapest option. Here are some of the other name brands on these cameras.

https://ipvm.com/reports/hik-oems-dir
    https://ipvm.com/reports/dahua-oem

As for the NVR, I like the flexibility of a software based system. Blue Iris is a good choice for consumer level stuff, Milestone for more advanced/commercial installs. But a stand alone NVR is faster to setup and install.

You should know that you get more homeowner friendly features and a better user experience with the big consumer cloud based systems. It just costs a bit more. 4 Nest IQ outdoor cameras would be $1200, and the 1st years subscription would be $120 for the new Nest Aware Plus product. With that you get facial recognition and very effective "intelligent alerts".

Yes, if you use a hard drive based system the drive should be replaced every five years.

YMMV

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by audiojeff; 05-10-20 at 04:43 PM.

audiojeff, thanks. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

The indoor cameras are for the basement and the garage so I believe they would be an exception to the indoor camera rule. Our garage is under the house with the remaining space below grade used as our basement. This is where all of the valuable items are. In the garage we have mountain bikes, motorcycles, ski equipment etc. In the basement I have all of my tools, photography equipment, and a gun safe which holds some priceless firearms as well as a few other valuables. It's also our regular point of entry to the house and where we leave our wallets and keys.

There is a chase built into the framing of the house for the sole purpose of running wiring from the basement to the third floor, so getting the cameras in the basement and garage connected to the drives will be a breeze.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Looking for some recommendations as well, for the GF. She wants to put them outside her house here and at her house in ME. The one in ME has a Smarthings Hub and she would like it to work with that. What are some good options. Shes's not going to set up a network for it so cloud based would be the answer I'm assuming. I'm thinking 2 in each location would be good, maybe 3.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    The one in ME has a Smarthings Hub and she would like it to work with that.
    https://www.smartthings.com/products...-and-doorbells

Everybody to the limit!

Arlo has the best integration with a smartthings hub. Skip the ultra, go with the pro 2 or pro 3.

Thanks guys!

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

If there are currently wired floodlights on the outside of the house, I'd suggest the Ring Floodlight Cam.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Meh. I have a Ring floodlight camera. The equipment is awesome. Especially the LED lamps. Huge improvement over the floods I had before. But the service is expensive and the phone app seems to get worse with each rev. I currently have to wade through menus to enable alerts. Many clicks for something I do frequently. Really dumb.

There have to be better options.

on sunday a blink camera caught an amazon van pull into my driveway, figure out he is at the wrong house, do a 3 point turn across my 1 car width driveway (so onto the lawn on both sides), pull out of the driveway onto the street and park across the street, walked across to my house, turn around go back to his van, pull down the street a little farther...dude had no idea where he was going...

i live on a main road so i have a bunch of people turn around in my driveway but never do a 3 point turn on the lawn...my driveway curves near the end so people always go off the edge of the driveway when backing out...i also have conduit buried just off the edge of the driveway so i don't really want cars on it...i wish i had a retractable bollard

Last edited by Point37; 09-08-20 at 09:43 AM.

I personally like Axis cameras, but they are very pricey for consumer.
    I used to work for them and employee discount of 60% was rather nice!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234