Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home Theater Setups and Recomendations

Home Theater Setups and Recommendations

Home Theater Setups and Recommendations

So do we have any audiophiles here?

Ditched my old setup prior to moving (Denon / Klipsch). It was dated but also looking to step it up a notch this time around.

Basic 5.1 setup for a 12x12’ listening space

Who’s got what? And please don’t tell me how awesome your Sonos / sound bars / Bose setups are ;p

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MFChop; 01-20-19 at 06:33 PM.

Re: Home Theater Setups and Recomendations

I've got a Klipsch 12" sub in my small cave, quite impressed with how musical it is. I haven't built the rest of the system yet, just using the TV's speakers plus the sub right now. It oddly works as long as I'm not looking for loud.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

My set up is a little bit older, so maybe similar to what you got rid of but Marantz 7.1 system (only running at a 5.1+2) with Reference series Klipsch. Sounds pretty good.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Right now I’m looking at the Reference Permire line with a Denon again however I’m willing to entertain b&w, kef or any other suggestions. Pretty much what you’ll find in most Best Buy magnolias

0 Not allowed!

I love my B&W sub. The most natural sound I could find at the time. That's all I got. Don't have a home theater amp.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

0 Not allowed!

My only recommendation is to go somewhere and listen to everything, regardless of recommendations or what you think you want.

I ended up at Magnolia 3 or 4 years ago and got Martin Logan bookshelves. I think Motion 15 fronts, Motion 4 rears, a Motion something center channel, a Definitive sub and some Pioneer Elite receiver.

My room shape/arrangement isn't ideal, but I love these speakers.

0 Not allowed!

My Yamaha rx-a3000 receiver is still going strong after 8+ years and I keep seeing the rx-a2080 and rx-a3080 go on sale for around $1100/$1400. If you care I've got some Klipsch Forte II's which are about 25yrs old, I bought them banged up and replaced the blown horns, refreshed the crossovers with new caps, and vinyl covered them because that wood vibe wasn't passing the wife test. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

If you're not wanting to go with seperate amps (if so check out emotiva) then I'd be looking for efficient speakers that sound good to you and a sub from someone like svs. You won't get the mids out of good speakers with a receiver powering them if they are power hungry. Keep in mind that installation is generally one of the most important factors for performance and aesthetics.

0 Not allowed!

Pioneer Elite VSX-42 receiver, Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 600 5.1 speaker setup, AudioQuest Cinnamon cables. I went into the Magnolia Theater in Best Buy and basically said "shut up and take my money." It's a solid system albeit about 6-7 years old now. I actually tried selling it here a while back because my living room now really doesn't accommodate a traditional surround sound layout so I was going to go for a soundbar/woofer setup. Didn't even get a nibble on it, so I ended up setting up my system as a 3.1 system. Honestly pretty pleased with that for the time being.

Spend the money on quality cables, they make a difference if you're spending the money for good speakers.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Spend the money on quality cables, they make a difference if you're spending the money for good speakers.
    Oh Ive got that covered! I’ve got older but extremely high end monster cable thx certified time match ect speaker cables. They’re amazing and over built to say the least I wanna say they retailed for like $800 a 10ft pair. Scored a full 5ch set from when Bernie’s went bankrupt for $100 lol

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MFChop; 01-09-19 at 11:35 AM.

Oh gawd, monster cables, thx certified?! Don't mind me, I'll be over in the corner laughing hysterically in glorious 7.2.4 ATMOS.

(And now I'm remembering the guy convinced that optical TOS sounded better than coax TOS...)

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Oh they’re old but butt still a million times better than spoioled lol

0 Not allowed!

Totally opposed to sound bars? I picked up an LG atmos one, and added the wireless rear speakers for the full 7.999.2089749782. Its pretty impressive IMO and for what I feel like would only be an incremental change for exponential amounts more of money, plus running wires and having speakers hanging everywhere...

0 Not allowed!

If you're really serious about it, the most important step in getting the most out of a home theater system isn't the brands you choose, its the layout. Pick your seating first, then the display, then a speaker compliment that can be installed in the best positions considering those 2 choices, then a subwoofer (ideally 2) that is appropriate for the room size, and last a receiver/amp sized for the speakers and sources you've selected. Personally, I'm partial to JBL Pro Cinema for large stand alone cinema installs, Wisdom for hidden cinema installs, Dynaudio and Triad for the projects that fall someplace in the middle, but there are lots of good choices.

Dolby's site is one of the best resources for consumers to get detailed information about speaker layout and placement. Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup Guide

my .02, People that say that a soundbar or HTIB sounds the same as a surround system just haven't heard one that was properly done.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by audiojeff; 01-19-19 at 10:26 PM.

Yeah I’m uber ocd about distance, angles, symmetry, etc as far as placement. Last setup I had I used the internal Denon auduessy calibration system at 9 points.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    Yeah Iím uber ocd about distance, angles, symmetry, etc as far as placement. Last setup I had I used the internal Denon auduessy calibration system at 9 points.
    Great, here is the second place everyone gets their home theater setup wrong, SPL.

In order to play a movie soundtrack back the way it sounds in a commercial theater, you need a big range of volume from the quietest part to the loudest part. In theory, a good system should be able to reproduce about 100dB of range from the quietest to the loudest part. In practice, there is typically 25dB-30db of range from the dialog level to the loudest sound in a film. Speech itself uses a 30 dB peak-to-valley ratio, and an ideal speaking playback level is typically 60-65dB. Last, a quiet theater has a noise floor around 30-35dB. [This is fairly abbreviated because all of these measurements are typically average weighted and curve weighted by frequency, but that math is a bit more complex). Anyway, if we add that up, 35dB floor+30db of range we can just get our dialog level to 65dB, add 30dB of dynamic range and we need 95dB of playback level capability, with no headroom.

You can see why lots of systems fail to meet this demand, and why how quiet the room is really becomes important. An average bedroom or apartment often has a noise floor of 40-45dB, sometimes higher when the HVAC system runs, which would mean that you need another 10dB to clearly hear the dialog. Raising that volume means that the peak volume scenes may hit 105dB. That's pretty loud (rock concert levels).

There are a couple of ways to combat this, a really quiet room helps. Sitting closer to the loudspeakers means that they need less power to deliver higher sound pressure. Dolby has introduced a compression system for home theater called Dolby volume, that reduces the range from high to low sounds. And there are others. I suggest you calculate what it might take to reach the peak SPL you desire, and work backwards from there. In my designs the standard target is 115dB+, YMMV. I've linked a decent SPL calculator below.

THX reference level explained - Acoustic Frontiers

Peak SPL Calculator

0 Not allowed!

Good info, based on the Klipsch setup I’m eyeballing if I’m doing this right I’ll be at ~118db

0 Not allowed!

Good info, based on the Klipsch setup Iím eyeballing if Iím doing this right Iíll be at ~118db
    That's great, though somewhat surprising, as the most capable subwoofer Klipsch makes (KW-120-THX) is only capable of about 107dB at the listening position for an average room.

0 Not allowed!

Im guessing its due to the small viewing area 12X12 total 8 feet from center channel. Also most likely going with two subs (or maybe Im just imputing the calc wrong lol)

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MFChop; 01-20-19 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by audiojeff View Post
    my .02, People that say that a soundbar or HTIB sounds the same as a surround system just haven't heard one that was properly done.
    totally agree, but for the investment in time and $$, my setup gets me 60-70% of the way there, and i'm the only one who cares or even knows the difference in my house lol plus the room is not condusive really for being properly setup anyways. awesome links though, def gonna spend some lunch time checking those out.

0 Not allowed!

Ended up getting a killer package deal on a full Klipsch Reference Premier Piano setup with a Marantz SR6013. Still need to get a sub though. He wanted to sell me on a James EMB1000 however I'm waiting to see how the newest Klipsch Sub series is.

Now I am also dealing with the weirdest issue. My place gets very erratic, dirty, and HIGH voltage. My current power center (Monster HDP 1800) hates it seeing 127-130v constantly and the abnormal light has kicked on a few times now. So I'll need to upgrade that to a Panamax before I start using everything or get Subs. I did put a call into the local electric company to have it checked at the meter, idk maybe theres an issue there?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I’ve only seen wire connections that are black and red and plastic and you flip up one part, put the wire on and flip it down to secure it... I mooched a tuner off my older brother that has these round knobs on the back with a little hole on the top, and apparently you loosen them, stick the wire in and tighten them? How much bare conductor should be stripped?

Only reason I ask is, the tuner has A speaker control, B speaker control, and A & B.

In all three options the right speakers (if u are looking at the stereo) are wicked staticy. Even if no music is playing there is static, which increases with volume.

I think it’s one pair of pioneer speakers and one pair of kenwood... making me think it’s not the speakers. I’m also using different speaker wire to both, one has black and red wires that came with a different stereo, and the other just has generic wire, with a greenish clear insulation.

I’m hoping it’s not the jacks on the tuner that are the problem, and just my terminations... how can I troubleshoot?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    In all three options the right speakers (if u are looking at the stereo) are wicked staticy. Even if no music is playing there is static, which increases with volume.

I’m hoping it’s not the jacks on the tuner that are the problem, and just my terminations... how can I troubleshoot?
    Poor speaker terminations will not generate audible noise since in order to hear the noise, the sound needs to come through the amplifier stage of the receiver. If you can hear a noise, then you have a suitable enough connection to your speaker wire.

That said, there are a number of reasons why you may be hearing white noise and most are not easy to diagnose or repair. The first thing to check would be do disconnect all connections to your receiver except for the speaker wires and see if the noise remains. If it goes away, add components back one at a time until you hear it again and go from there. If it doesn't go away, see if the volume knob affects the volume of the noise. If the knob affects it, there is likely a problem in the signal path inside the receiver before the amplifier stage which is not trivial to track down. Unless you know what you're doing with electronics, the best you may be able to expect would be to open up the unit and inspect for any misshapen or leaking electrolytic capacitors which can affect how circuits work inside the unit. Past that, you really need to know what you're doing to troubleshoot any further. You will quickly come to a point where the best value is probably buying a new receiver.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 02-12-19 at 02:06 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Oh Ive got that covered! Iíve got older but extremely high end monster cable thx certified time match ect speaker cables. Theyíre amazing and over built to say the least I wanna say they retailed for like $800 a 10ft pair. Scored a full 5ch set from when Bernieís went bankrupt for $100 lol
    Thatís insane. Why would anyone pay $800 for a pair of cables (aside from being a marketing victim), are they for some crazy speakers with super low impedance or something?? Iím not involved in high end audio at all, but I do know the ďhigh end cableĒ business in the guitar world is basically snake oil. Maybe it legit if youíve got a $10k pair of speakers, but my ears would never hear it.

0 Not allowed!

Not even legit with a $10k pair of speakers.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast