Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home Theater Setups and Recomendations

Re: Home Theater Setups and Recomendations

Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssnake oil

0 Not allowed!

No clue but there are people that will

Look at a company like audio quest right now and what they offfer with the high end side

I’m actually shopping around right now for a pair for my rears 30’ each. I’m amazed at some of the pricing at those lengths

I’m sorry but a cheap spool off amazon for $30 vs paying $100 and getting proper end terminals, shielding, ect does make a difference

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    I’m sorry but a cheap spool off amazon for $30 vs paying $100 and getting proper end terminals, shielding, ect does make a difference
    Yes, one hits your wallet harder, and one is much more likely to add noise. (Shielded speaker cable, unless you've planned your grounds out meticulously, and that speaker is setup to accept shielded cable, you're just making an antenna. Fortunately you'll still unlikely to hear the 60hz hum unless your speakers are stupid efficient.) I'm all for clean terminations, and am willing to pay a bit of a convenience fee to have them already on the cable, but $100 for two 30' runs, no thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

I've never once ran into a situation where shielded speaker wires are necessary. The path through the amplifier and speaker is low impedance and low frequency which attenuates noise very effectively to the point that you will never notice it. All you need is reasonable quality wire that is the appropriate gauge for the power and distance you are running.

On analog high impedance input/output connections, shielded cables are a must.

Terminations are fairly cheap if you buy them through places like DigiKey or Mouser but you will need either a crimping tool or soldering iron depending on what you buy.

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Poor speaker terminations will not generate audible noise since in order to hear the noise, the sound needs to come through the amplifier stage of the receiver. If you can hear a noise, then you have a suitable enough connection to your speaker wire.

That said, there are a number of reasons why you may be hearing white noise and most are not easy to diagnose or repair. The first thing to check would be do disconnect all connections to your receiver except for the speaker wires and see if the noise remains. If it goes away, add components back one at a time until you hear it again and go from there. If it doesn't go away, see if the volume knob affects the volume of the noise. If the knob affects it, there is likely a problem in the signal path inside the receiver before the amplifier stage which is not trivial to track down. Unless you know what you're doing with electronics, the best you may be able to expect would be to open up the unit and inspect for any misshapen or leaking electrolytic capacitors which can affect how circuits work inside the unit. Past that, you really need to know what you're doing to troubleshoot any further. You will quickly come to a point where the best value is probably buying a new receiver.
    Loved ones took it upon themselves to buy me a new tuner, although before I switched them I switched the speaker wiring around and found it did seem like the old tuner did have a problem off one side of the outputs.

The new Sony (I do not want to know how much it cost or how cheap it was or how good it was cuz its the thought that counts) is a 100w plus 100w?

That sounds like nothing compared to the 1000w Memphis amp in my car, but it sounds good, loudness is almost acceptable.

Whats the next weak point of my system? I have two pair of speakers. One Kenwood pair which I know nothing about, but assume they should be decent because my brother bought them and hes kinda a yuppie, although even if they are/were good, they are very old. The other pair are a pioneer pair that I would not be surprised to find out they are very basic.

Im not happy with the bass of the set up.

Do I replace the speakers? The tuner has both speaker A and speaker B, phono, and input one (cd) accounted for. Can i land a sub on another input? I figure not since you have to select only one input.Home Theater Setups and Recomendations-4c19916e-aa55-4442-8b81-c2d1118c4c0f

- - - Updated - - -

I think I’m in the market for a couple pair of second hand speakers... if anyone has anything...

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12