Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honda Element in the snow?

Alls I can say is holy fuck wow. We got rid of a Ford Super Duty with a plow over the summer and now my wife drives an all wheel drive Element - I can't get over how well it does. I went for the paper earlier this am, gotta have been 5-6 inches of snow so far and none of side roads had been plowed (I could hear snow being pushed by the air dam). We live in a neighborhood at the top of a long steep hill and it was like a Sunday drive in the summer. Only downside it tows max 1,500lbs but other than that its a great little car/suv thingy

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

sweet...pics?

and what sort of gas mileage #'s are you looking at?

my only qualm about awd is that you can't turn it off...so the gas mileage might be a little bit worse than it would be with just fwd

Just Registered

The Element's AWD system is very decent, and is one of the reasons I bought my Ridgeline (which IMO is even better in the snow if you can imagine that). All around those are cool little boxes, but I wasn't a big fan of the mpg they had.

There is a decent community here if you're interested in learning even more about em: Element Owners Club | Element Owners Club

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

I think the wife gets 24ish mpg overall which is great compared to the 11-12mpg the F250 got

Just Registered

Quote Originally Posted by CMG41 View Post
    I think the wife gets 24ish mpg overall which is great compared to the 11-12mpg the F250 got
    That is pretty good ! My buddy got 20-21 on his which I didn't think was respectable for a 'compact' vehicle (even if it is bigger inside then a real compact, and awd). Then again I think he may have been a little leadfooted.

The better news is when he crashed it, him and his wife emerged relatively unscathed. Someone ran a stop sign in front of them in a grand cherokee as he was doing about 50 or so and the vehicle took the brunt of the damage like it was supposed to.

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

My buddy has one... he said for some odd reason the Element does good in the summer at 24 mpg on the highway... but in the winter it goes down to 19 mpg highway... Not good for a compact car...

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by CMG41 View Post
    I get 20-22 MPG with my F-250.

SNJNOW

I'm having fun up here in NH - with a VW Passat W8 AWD is awesome - I like putting it in wierd hilly deep snow situations - it rocks! Not commenting on the MPG tho! ;-)

[SIGPIC]

If a Lego could be car it would be an element.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    my only qualm about awd is that you can't turn it off...so the gas mileage might be a little bit worse than it would be with just fwd
    Like strangeguy, I have the Ridgeline AWD. Not sure if it's the same as the element, but it rocks.

It is basically FWD unless the back tires are needed.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by snowborder View Post
    My buddy has one... he said for some odd reason the Element does good in the summer at 24 mpg on the highway... but in the winter it goes down to 19 mpg highway... Not good for a compact car...
    Probably because he's letting the thing warm up for 15 minutes before he jumps in it! Most onboard fuel monitoring systems will read "0" MPG if you're idling and factor it into it's equation when it calculates the average MPG. Every onboard system I've had you can sit there and watch the average MPG's go down as you idle...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Probably because he's letting the thing warm up for 15 minutes before he jumps in it! Most onboard fuel monitoring systems will read "0" MPG if you're idling and factor it into it's equation when it calculates the average MPG. Every onboard system I've had you can sit there and watch the average MPG's go down as you idle...

Nope this a guy who I drove to Jay Peak with twice. We did like 70 - 75 max there and back... Has a heated drive under garage. Just for some reason a gas pig.... I think it is mostly because it is like driving a Box Truck down the highway. It has no aerodynamics.... And we always seem to have more wind in the winter. I did say HIGHWAY mpg and not driveway MPG....

2001 RC51!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowborder View Post
    Nope this a guy who I drove to Jay Peak with twice. We did like 70 - 75 max there and back... Has a heated drive under garage. Just for some reason a gas pig.... I think it is mostly because it is like driving a Box Truck down the highway. It has no aerodynamics.... And we always seem to have more wind in the winter. I did say HIGHWAY mpg and not driveway MPG....
    I'm still guessing that he lets it warm up for some time elsewhere rather than just get in 'er, fire 'er up and go when it's been in the teens. I hear ya about the wind & shit and I agree. But I'm sure his warm-up procedures are a tad different this time of year. He doesn't have heated parking everywhere he goes throughout the day, right? And that WILL give you a 'skewed' reading...

My RidgeLine has yet to net better than 19 MPH, highway. Fucking POS. Thing's downshifting anytime it encounters the slightest of grade because that V-TEC's got no torque. It's good in the snow, but only better than a part-time 4WD system. Not as good as a true AWD.

Littering and........

You all need a Ford Diesel. They're awesome in the snow and get good fuel mileage.

Which, of course, is completely negated by the ridiculous price of diesel fuel.

Just Registered

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    My RidgeLine has yet to net better than 19 MPH, highway. Fucking POS. Thing's downshifting anytime it encounters the slightest of grade because that V-TEC's got no torque. It's good in the snow, but only better than a part-time 4WD system. Not as good as a true AWD.

19mph, shit man no wonder you get such shitty mileage - you should take the e-brake off before you drive

I can get 17-18 if I nurse mine, but my average tank of gas is <50% highway if even that. I am pretty sure it has alot with how I get into the pedal, as I seem to get BETTER mileage in the snow, what's that saying

You should check into the TSB (I don't remember the ##) for the transmission PCM update, it may help you out.

But whenever you're thinking of trading that thing let me know...think WR250/WR426 plan ...no factory Navi in mine.

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Just Registered

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    Thing's downshifting anytime it encounters the slightest of grade because that V-TEC's got no torque.
    You talking about highway? above 70mph?

I can do about 75-78 in mine with revs not even a needlewidth about 2k rpm. If I hold 70+ and resist the urge to romp on it going uphill on Rt2, it just holds the speed and doesen't downshift. If I so much as twitch my foot, it's at 3500+ rpm.

The fly-by-wire throttle + itchy transmission brain + grade logic are all too happy to get out of 'lug' mode if you so choose. I am not sure why, but I agree it's annoying.

This doesen't count on mountains

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Quote Originally Posted by somestrangeguy View Post
    You talking about highway? above 70mph?

I can do about 75-78 in mine with revs not even a needlewidth about 2k rpm. If I hold 70+ and resist the urge to romp on it going uphill on Rt2, it just holds the speed and doesen't downshift. If I so much as twitch my foot, it's at 3500+ rpm.

The fly-by-wire throttle + itchy transmission brain + grade logic are all too happy to get out of 'lug' mode if you so choose. I am not sure why, but I agree it's annoying.

This doesen't count on mountains
    The RL was stickered at 21 MPG Highway. That's a whole bunch of crap right there. Never seen near 20, even on flatlander highway. The 5000+ lb. Avalanche routinely got over 17 MPG highway, and was stickered at 17. The RL downshifts where the Avalanche never did.

I think the RL was programmed/geared for & tested at an unrealistic 65 MPH. My RL was one of the later ones, supposedly already fitted with the latest in transmission profile. Honda is a big fat liar, plain as that.

2007 ratings vs 2008.... take an average of 2mpg off
    city and highway for 2008
    some cars do better than others

2001 RC51!!!

Quote Originally Posted by highsider View Post
    You all need a Ford Diesel. They're awesome in the snow and get good fuel mileage.

Which, of course, is completely negated by the ridiculous price of diesel fuel.

yeah you need to save allot of gas to cover that 7g diesel engine option my f150 gets an avg of 12.5 driving like a pussy. i'm not impressed.

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

Re: Honda Element in the snow?

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Like strangeguy, I have the Ridgeline AWD. Not sure if it's the same as the element, but it rocks.

It is basically FWD unless the back tires are needed.
    The Ridgeline/Pilot 4WD system is entirely different from the CR-V/Element system.

The Element has a "Dual Pump" system where a pump connected to the drive shaft and another connected to the differential exchange fluid with each other. In bad traction situations where the front pump is pumping more than the rear pump, (Front wheels spinning faster than the rear wheels are rolling.) the excess fluid takes a detour into a passage and applies pressure to a set of clutch plates that lock the drive shaft to the differential. Actually an old idea, Willys used it in the 1940's. When you get a howling from the rear on sharp turns, change the fluid.

Ridgelines have the rear drive shaft connect to a straight ring/pinion gear setup. (not a differential with spider gears, etc.) Each axle shaft has an electro-magnetic clutch that is electronically controlled to perform 4WD, Posi-Track and Traction Control functions.

I have recently added this item to my store for all you Element owners. I got the idea from George DeCamp.

Last edited by Johnny B; 01-13-08 at 08:49 PM.
    Johnny B. (the other one)
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

Tammy and I were just talking about the Element today. Her Trailblazer just hit 124K and except for two sets of brakes / rotors has been ultra reliable. We own it next November and I want to replace it with something that gets better mileage, and is not pushing 150K at that time. The 14/20 we get now is tough with her 100 mile commute each day.

The AWD Element, the CRV and RAV4 come up as she wants AWD. I want reliability and good mileage.

Shocked to see an Elelment getting 19mpg. Thought they would be 25ish. Our Forester was good for 30mpg with the ac on!

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya One View Post
    Shocked to see an Elelment getting 19mpg. Thought they would be 25ish. Our Forester was good for 30mpg with the ac on!
    They have the aerodynamics of a brick, especially at 90 MPH! My '96 Odyssey looks really small parked next to it.

Johnny B. (the other one)
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

......The AWD Element, the CRV and RAV4 come up as she wants AWD. I want reliability and good mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    They have the aerodynamics of a brick, especially at 90 MPH! My '96 Odyssey looks really small parked next to it.

24mpg for a woman driving is in line, the 90mph is the problem.

Tammy and I were just talking about the Element today. Her Trailblazer just hit 124K and except for two sets of brakes / rotors has been ultra reliable. We own it next November and I want to replace it with something that gets better mileage, and is not pushing 150K at that time. The 14/20 we get now is tough with her 100 mile commute each day.

The AWD Element, the CRV and RAV4 come up as she wants AWD. I want reliability and good mileage.

I get 22-24 depending on season with my Murano (AWD with locking 4WD-low) and it's a TANK in the snow. About 75% of my commute is NH route 28, north of Manchester (average speed 45-50)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast