Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honeymoon/1st Vaca recommandations

Honeymoon/1st Vaca recommandations

Ok so i am not very good at this vacation thing since I havent really been on one in like 8 years.
    I want to surprise the wife and go somewhere nice. she loves the beach (she does not swim).
    She loves Florida when we visit. I know shes dying to go to Hawaii or Aruba, I just dont know if I can swing that right now.
    We are both off the 12th to 22nd. But we are more realistic talking about 4-7 days probably 14-19th especially the price goes up.
    the simple solution would be to go to Greece but last minute tickets during the peak of the tourism season are just stupid expensive, plus its not even worth it for a week, plus we are going next year.
    My problem is that I don't know where to go and what to do so it is hard to point a destination. For example I know people say Vegas is fun, but what hotel, or when to go? does this season suck? is it not worth it for 4-5 days?
    based on things I know she d like here is what I am thinking.

a) All-inclusive Adults only resort in Bahamas. 4 or 5 nights I can swing for about $1000 per person with airfare included. No idea about the area or things to do. Bahamas looks kinda lame comparing to DR based on the activities available I see.

b) All-inclusive Adults only resort in DR. This is so far my personal favorite as I know DR is beautiful, i do have some connections there and I believe she would love it. This will be a bit more than $1000, around $1200 per person for a good resort with flights included. I also know that it is vacation season now in DR so I am not sure if that means its overcrowded and lines everywhere etc.

c) Various Vegas packages. Example Caesar's Palace or the Venetian for $500-600 per person with airfare. Not sure if Vegas would do anything for me honestly. I dont like clubbing and she doesnt like gambling.

d) All-inclusive Adults only resort in Cancun, Mexico. Prices $1000-1500 for 5 nights with airfare depending on the resort. This is also high on the list as I have heard great things about Cancun but really i dont know much.

e) suggest something that I am totally missing.

Beach/Pool, relaxation, all inclusive with good food would be great but not a deal-breaker, recreational activities like jet-skiing or boat rides or some romantic stuff would be awesome. keep in mind we never went on a honeymoon so this is kinda it. I'd open to a cruise package too but i dont know anything about those too. I think if I suggest the Isle of Man she may stab me.

Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Honeymoon/1st Vaca recommandations

What about a cruise? Most are all inclusive except airfair to the port

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    What about a cruise? Most are all inclusive except airfair to the port
    wouldnt be against it. any suggestions?

ok vegas is def not an option. we would not like it based on what we are looking for.

Last edited by tsorfas; 08-04-17 at 07:39 AM.

What about somewhere like Costa Rica?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by db79 View Post
    What about somewhere like Costa Rica?
    def open to suggestions. like i said i know nothing on the topic.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

My GF and I went to Margaritaville in Hollywood Florida recently and it was pretty great. not all inclusive but it's right on the boardwalk, you have chairs and umbrellas on the beach for free all day and there are 3 great swimming pools where you can see the ocean and boardwalk from. 2 are on the ground and one on the roof deck overlooking the entire beach/ocean.

For food there is an AMAZING taco shack with Korean short rib and kimchee tacos. i'd most likely get those everyday for lunch the next time i go back. There are also a bunch of places to get food around the area, also Miami is about a half hour away if you really wanna go out on an adventure.

although we didnt look I know there has to be waverunner rentals near by, we definitely saw one of those tour helicopters hooning around the beach and at the resort they have one of those wave riding machines which i tried and was really fun.

Margaritaville Hollywood Beach, Florida Resort and Hotel

Airfare, hotel and travel insurance for both of us was $1,300 total...

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 08-04-17 at 08:35 AM.

If considering adventure I would say Argentina in Nov/Dec as its summer there, Patagonia remote but awesome.
    If you want a truly relaxing vacation, Costa Rica is where you go. Gorgeous beaches,great food and awesome hospitality. There are plenty of fun activities like white water rafting,ziplining through the canopy,dodging Jaguars and really poisonous critters oh and it has a bunch of active volcanoes , some of which you can hike up to a certain point.

a) All-inclusive Adults only resort in Bahamas. 4 or 5 nights I can swing for about $1000 per person with airfare included. No idea about the area or things to do. Bahamas looks kinda lame comparing to DR based on the activities available I see.
    --- I was not enamored with the Bahamas (but I went there 15 years ago w/my then-gf and her parents) or Bermuda (but we didn't venture far from the cruise ship port).

b) All-inclusive Adults only resort in DR. This is so far my personal favorite as I know DR is beautiful, i do have some connections there and I believe she would love it. This will be a bit more than $1000, around $1200 per person for a good resort with flights included. I also know that it is vacation season now in DR so I am not sure if that means its overcrowded and lines everywhere etc.
    --- Go to a major city for DR - i.e. Punta Cana. I went on an $800 (flight included), eight-day all inclusive DR vacation in Puerto Plata, and it sucked. Sounds like you're already considering a better place. Don't drive when there - if you need/want to go anywhere else, get a cab or some type of driver. They drive like maniacs.

c) Various Vegas packages. Example Caesar's Palace or the Venetian for $500-600 per person with airfare. Not sure if Vegas would do anything for me honestly. I dont like clubbing and she doesnt like gambling.
    --- Mirella and I really like Vegas, 4 days max, but just for the have-a-buzz-all-day,-drinking-in-public-while-people-watching,-walking-around-a-lot-with-lots-of-flashy-bright-lights aspect of it. Also, Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam are a relatively short drive. And the Las Vegas Motor Speedway van tour is cool. Shelby American factory is nearby too. I don't actually think you two are Vegas people - at least not for four days on your own. 2 days on your own, or maybe longer with other friends, sure. Also, you could do SoCal to get the beach and the warmth aspect, and rent a car to drive to Vegas, GC, and HD for 1-2 days...it's only ~4 hrs away from San Diego or LA.

d) All-inclusive Adults only resort in Cancun, Mexico. Prices $1000-1500 for 5 nights with airfare depending on the resort. This is also high on the list as I have heard great things about Cancun but really i dont know much.
    -- Good option IMO. In the Tourist Zone, lots to do even across resorts. Lots of clubs and restaurants and shops.

e) suggest something that I am totally missing.
    -- There are plenty of ways to do Florida relatively cheaply. Daytona Beach, West Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale on the Atlantic side...or Tampa, Jacksonville, and a number of others on the Gulf side. I don't think any will be all inclusive, but you could string together fun stuff w/o much effort if you decide to go that route.

If you're talking about 12-22 of August, then you could even still feasibly do Block Island, Martha's Vineyard, or Cape Cod (or some string of all three)...or the Outer Banks NC or Charleston SC, for something relatively close.

Cruises are pretty cool too. I've only been on one, from NYC to Bermuda. It was September, and we had two days of rain out of the 5 on the boat, so that stunk. Other option is flying to FL and getting a Caribbean cruise out of there - much better in theory, but more expensive cuz you have to fly. I'd say don't consider Greece - honeymoon is supposed to be 'special,' not going back home!

Bill Cool --- LRRS/CCS EX #47 --- 2020 LRRS LWSS Chamion, 2018/19/20 LRRS Double Backup Champion GTL and ULSB, 2012 LRRS Champion AM Thunderbike --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD CompuTrack

If you want food, go to Grand Case, St.Martin.

Won't be cheap (anymore), but it's the culinary capitol of the Caribbean.

You only get one Honeymoon (per wife I guess). Make it count.

I've found all-inclusives to be lacking in most everything food related. Easy, but you don't end up exploring and experiencing the local culture. Plus the big resorts make you feel like sheeple. I tend not to enjoy doing what everyone else is doing, so it wasn't for me.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I've been to Cancun three times now and absolutely love it. I am going back again this year for vacation and a wedding. I am going to Playa del Carma for the first time. It is supposed to be even more amazing than Cancun. You can't go wrong with Mexico, people are always friendly food is amazing and the drinks are always flowing. I have never once felt uneasy or unsafe. Every trip has been amazing.

Steven

Check curaçao or Belize

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ex and I went to an all-inclusive resort south of Cancun a few years back. This is not normally my kind of thing as I am not a real big beach person and have a hard time sitting still for long. It took me a solid day to uncork myself, stop worrying about shit at home and enjoy it. After that I dug it a lot. I think the secret is to bring a stack of books and un-fucking-plug. At the time I was in the bust-my-ass stage of my career. I took work way too seriously and spent too much time wondering what was going on at home. If you are incapable of doing nothing productive for the universe, then this is not your place. But if you are capable of that, you may find it pretty refreshing. It took some effort, but once I got my mind in the right place I enjoyed the hell out of it.

The resort we stayed at had pretty good food. I'm no culinary expert or anything. But we left fat dumb and happy. Breakfast, lunch and regular dinner buffet food quality was good. We had two special dinners out in their on-site restaurants in the package which were very good, maybe excellent. The "snack bar" or whatever available to graze at all day was kinda poor quality. But there was no shortage of booze to compensate.

Yeah, we were sheeple.. but whatever. I can do the sheeple thing every now and then. Kind of nice to spend a week not carrying a wallet, or car keys, or driving, or..

Night life is not my thing, nor was it hers. So we stayed away from that.

Definitely not Vegas!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

I hear Isle of Man is nice, would be quite a coincidence if you scheduled the same week as the races ... and brought your motorcycle

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I've been to Cancun three times now and absolutely love it. I am going back again this year for vacation and a wedding. I am going to Playa del Carma for the first time. It is supposed to be even more amazing than Cancun. You can't go wrong with Mexico, people are always friendly food is amazing and the drinks are always flowing. I have never once felt uneasy or unsafe. Every trip has been amazing.
    Ah I was trying to remember Playa del Carmen. Kid that used to work for me just went there w/his wife, two kids, and MIL. Told me, "kids go to Cancun, families and adults go to PDC." FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    ...all-inclusive...Cancun...the secret is to bring a stack of books and un-fucking-plug.....

The resort we stayed at had pretty good food. I'm no culinary expert or anything. But we left fat dumb and happy. Breakfast, lunch and regular dinner buffet food quality was good. We had two special dinners out in their on-site restaurants in the package which were very good, maybe excellent. The "snack bar" or whatever available to graze at all day was kinda poor quality. But there was no shortage of booze to compensate.

Yeah, we were sheeple.. but whatever. I can do the sheeple thing every now and then. Kind of nice to spend a week not carrying a wallet, or car keys, or driving, or..
    ^^^ THIS

Bill Cool --- LRRS/CCS EX #47 --- 2020 LRRS LWSS Chamion, 2018/19/20 LRRS Double Backup Champion GTL and ULSB, 2012 LRRS Champion AM Thunderbike --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD CompuTrack

If you want to relax and maybe do an "excursion" or 2, all inclusive adults only is awesome. Choosing a location will be the most difficult part, I would lean towards Costa Rica or Belize. Check sites like Groupon Getaways and Living Social escapes. They often get some crazy deals, especially for last minute. We booked our honeymoon through Cheapcaribbean.com. It looks like a scam site but it really was great. Their customer service was amazing.

Block Island, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard can all add up VERY quickly in terms of costs, and finding a room in the peak of summer with 2 weeks warning will likely prove very challenging.

If you find a location that you want but are struggling to find a hotel, try Homeaway or VRBO. Both often have good deals on houses to rent, and if you're going mid week, a quick call to the owner will usually score you a deal.

Also, book the time off, plan to go somewhere, and check lastminutedeals.com a few days before

is it true that you cannot get in or at least be denied entry if your passport expires within 6 months?

Yes. I had to renew mine 1 mo before we left.
    You can get it done within a week at the passport authority in Portsmouth NH now. All it takes is money. At the time I had to go to Boston.. but no more.

Not in her case. She has a Greek passport expiring in October.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Not in her case. She has a Greek passport expiring in October.
    Have fun in myrtle beach then Honeymoon/1st Vaca recommandations

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Have fun in myrtle beach then Honeymoon/1st Vaca recommandations

fuck that

Lifer

I would vote for the keys if you cant get her passport sorted.

If you can get her one i would go for a cruise. Wake up in a different country every morning. Its great.

If just doing an island i would go for grand caymen if you want the nice things with some money to burn due to the gbp exchange rate. If you want to slum it i would go to cozumel.

I'm not going to read through all of the posts but this is the time to go to the caribbeans because it is crazy hot down there and it's off season...definitely cheaper. How much are you looking to spend? Aruba is nice and LOVE the direct flight from Boston. There's not too much to do in Aruba though but as long as you like chilling on the beach then you'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I would vote for the keys if you cant get her passport sorted.
    I took Mirella to Key West in May. It would've been stupid expensive for the place we stayed at (I used points) and the flights we took as late as we booked (I used miles), but I didn't care -- because of the parentheses. We stayed at the top Marriott location on the island, which was right in the middle of all the bars and restaurants...but we could walk everywhere. Except the real beaches. The tourist hotels are in the beach zone, I think...but farther away from the bars and restaurants you'll want to go to. A cab is about $10-$20 across the island, depending on the time of day. And I think they finally have Uber now, so that may be cheaper. Despite the "price," we had an absolute blast there for four days! The hardest decision was "do you want to get a drink next, or share an app next?" followed shortly by, "where?" Most of the time, both were resolved by, "Oh, that place looks cool!" The vibe on the island was super chill...almost hippy-ish, but modern. Totally safe in the "downtown" area we were in. And despite randomly stopping at a different place for every meal/drink, we still didn't hit every establishment we wanted to go to. We'll def go back sometime.

And that's not to say anything about the rest of the keys! There are supposedly tons of great aspects of the rest of the keys. Fly direct, or fly to WPB, Ft Lauderdale, or MIA and drive a few hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast