Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone 'host' on airbnb? Have a few questions...

xxaarraa

Anyone 'host' on airbnb? Have a few questions...

Hey guys,

I threw my second rental unit on airbnb just for kicks, and surprisingly, I am getting a lot of hits. It's a large unfurnished 5 bedroom unit, but that doesn't seem to be deterring folks on airbnb. Anyway, I've never been a 'host' so here are my questions:

• One of the 'guests' who wants to see the place today wants to rent it for 45 days. There's going to supposedly be 8 people in her reservation, so I can see why she's interested in my big unit. I have never booked anything on airbnb so I personally can't relate to why anyone would want to rent for that long, but whatever. Question - What protections do I have, if any, against squatters? If they refuse to leave, what do I do?
    • How does the daily rate work and can that be negotiated? i.e., if the math works in my favor, I can easily get rental furniture dropped in for the period, if there is an option for me to raise the price I listed the unit for originally.
    • What are the tax implications of hosting via airbnb? Is it treated as any rental income would normally be treated, or are there nuances?
    • How does payment work? I think you get paid up front, but is that true?
    • Any other do's and dont's from prior experiences?

Would love to hear from folks who have properties/rooms on airbnb. Thanks a lot NESR.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 12-22-16 at 11:18 AM.

Re: Anyone 'host' on airbnb? Have a few questions...

so I can see why she's interested in my big unit

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

sub'd

I am staying in an airbnb right now while my new place closes to see how this ish works

the owner here seems to have it on autopilot...they just signed up without working out consequences of squatters...they furnished it all with craigslist stuff (but done tastefully...it's a hipster/vintage feel) and they clean it themselves...which is what I read is the tricky part (cleaner's are generally unreliable). Tenants steal stuff. In Long Beach you need to have a business license and pay tax on short-term rentals (<30 days) & building needs to meet certain codes for use as a bed n breakfast. I highly doubt the hosts are doing any of that...they are also renting the apartment.

Which city yours in?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-22-16 at 11:15 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Hey guys,

I threw my second rental unit on airbnb just for kicks, and surprisingly, I am getting a lot of hits. It's a large unfurnished 5 bedroom unit, but that doesn't seem to be deterring folks on airbnb. Anyway, I've never been a 'host' so here are my questions:

• One of the 'guests' who wants to see the place today wants to rent it for 45 days. There's going to supposedly be 8 people in her reservation, so I can see why she's interested in my big unit. I have never booked anything on airbnb so I personally can't relate to why anyone would want to rent for that long, but whatever. Question - What protections do I have, if any, against squatters? If they refuse to leave, what do I do?
    • How does the daily rate work and can that be negotiated? i.e., if the math works in my favor, I can easily get rental furniture dropped in for the period, if there is an option for me to raise the price I listed the unit for originally.
    • What are the tax implications of hosting via airbnb? Is it treated as any rental income would normally be treated, or are there nuances?
    • How does payment work? I think you get paid up front, but is that true?
    • Any other do's and dont's from prior experiences?

Would love to hear from folks who have properties/rooms on airbnb. Thanks a lot NESR.
    OK, I may have a few more answers as this situation pans out. Sharing here in case anyone's looking for this in future.

- Airbnb will 'help' with getting guests to vacate. They have financial leverage as well as penalty of a bad review. However, ultimately, it falls on the host to evict tenants if it ever gets to that point. Airbnb says they will provide "all necessary documentation including verified government IDs" to the police to help with any complaints the host chooses to pursue.

- Yes, daily rate can be negotiated. Entirely dependent on what's included - furnished / unfurnished / breakfast / no breakfast etc.

- I registered with airbnb with my social, and believe they will just send me a 1099 during tax season that breaks out how much I have earned during the year. Not yet sure if they withhold any taxes automatically. I'd imagine not, since they wouldn't / shouldn't know my tax rate.

- I believe Mass requires hosts to collect a 9% sales / use tax from each guest who is staying under 90 days (stays longer than 90 days makes the relationship a landlord-tenant relationship which is exempt from a daily use tax) I am not sure yet if they rely on hosts to voluntarily send this in to the state, or if it will be tied against your 1099, or even if airbnb automatically withholds it on behalf of the commonwealth. Remains to be seen.

- Airbnb says they pay me up front the day after the guest checks in. But I believe they only pay 30 days at a time.

I have the big unit rented out to a group for 45 days. Will share more information as I figure this out over the next few months.

Thanks breakdirt for sharing your experience.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 12-27-16 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    I can see why she's interested in my big unit.