Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 12 of 12

What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

  1. #1
    Lifer oVTo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North of Boston
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,275

    What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?


    I saw the $40/200MBPS FIOS package in another thread and I'm thinking about going that way and getting rid of TV.
    My old FIOS router is coax from the ONT, so a new router is in the picture. I don't want to rent. I also don't want to spend $700 on a router.
    My office is far away from the router and I currently have a cheapo extender but it's not working that well. The speed seems to be fine but I keep getting "Unstable Internet" warning messages while Zooming. And stable Zoom is my #1 priority. I fear the stability problem is in the ONT, but have no evidence to support that.
    We have lots of connected devices, but nothing using a shit-ton of bandwidth.

    Anyway, what do those of you up on the latest hardware recommend?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

  2. #2
    Everybody to the limit!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Winchester, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    6,783

    Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

    I use a pair of tp-link deco m5s to handle the two floors of our 2k sq ft colonial and it does the job well. Stable 5ghz connection in every room and no issues when my wife and I are both on zoom calls.

    The more expensive routers have dedicated backhaul channels, but I haven't noticed any latency or performance issues with 200mbps fios that would suggest they are necessary at this speed. Literbit internet could probably justify a dedicated backhaul, but you'll never use all that bandwidth.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Honclfibr; 09-23-20 at 07:00 PM.

  3. #3
    Lifer LuvDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ashland, MA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,728

    Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

    How easy is it to run Cat 6 around your house for hardwired access points?

    I’m a big fan of the UniFi Ubiquiti stuff.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

  4. #4
    Lifer oVTo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North of Boston
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

    I ran CAT 5 to a few rooms including my office many years ago. I could probably pull some CAT 6 through to replace it, but I'd like to avoid doing that if possible.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

  5. #5
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,167

    Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

    Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    I saw the $40/200MBPS FIOS package in another thread and I'm thinking about going that way and getting rid of TV.
    My old FIOS router is coax from the ONT, so a new router is in the picture. I don't want to rent. I also don't want to spend $700 on a router.
    My office is far away from the router and I currently have a cheapo extender but it's not working that well. The speed seems to be fine but I keep getting "Unstable Internet" warning messages while Zooming. And stable Zoom is my #1 priority. I fear the stability problem is in the ONT, but have no evidence to support that.
    We have lots of connected devices, but nothing using a shit-ton of bandwidth.

    Anyway, what do those of you up on the latest hardware recommend?
    How far north of Boston are you? I could swing by in the next couple of weeks if you want. I owe you for driving me from Austin to Dallas (or was it the other way around?) that time.

    I've used the Orbi setup at my in-laws' places, they love it and (importantly) I never get called to fix it. I'm sure the Ubiquiti stuff is very good too.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  6. #6
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,368

    Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

    Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    I ran CAT 5 to a few rooms including my office many years ago. I could probably pull some CAT 6 through to replace it, but I'd like to avoid doing that if possible.
    CAT 5 is more than fine for any residential application. If you were starting from scratch, it would be worth it to consider CAT 6 or better.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  7. #7
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

    I think you already know this, but those Zoom warnings likely aren't related to your ISP package and probably everything to do you with your wifi.

    Before putting in the extender, had you tried changing the wifi channels?
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Iím a big fan of the UniFi Ubiquiti stuff.
    Same here. Although I'd say it's a little more complicated than most typical consumer stuff. Not terribly, but it's hardly a 'one click setup' thing. The web-gui controller being a desktop service is a little funky too. Been very reliable and the range is great on the AP I have.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  8. #8
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,368

    Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    The web-gui controller being a desktop service is a little funky too. Been very reliable and the range is great on the AP I have.
    I moved my controller to a spare Raspberry Pi because I didn't like it relying on my desktop. It's been working fine for years on end. I'm also a proponent of Ubiquiti equipment if you can tolerate the learning curve of getting everything operational. They have recently come out with more general consumer focused products but I don't have any experience with them. I currently use a 6+ year old Edge Router Lite, Unifi 16 port gen-1 POE switch, UAP-AC-PRO, UAP-AC-HD, and a UAP-OUTDOOR+, in addition to some now retired earlier generation access points. Everything has been rock stable and I get a kick out of the fact that my neighbor roams onto my network through the woods when he is sitting on his porch no more than 25' away from his Comcast router.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 09-23-20 at 10:29 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  9. #9
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I moved my controller to a spare Raspberry Pi because I didn't like it relying on my desktop. It's been working fine for years on end.
    Same, although I set up the pi a few months ago. Yet another device to update/maintain though. Hardly a big deal, but does require some Linux 101.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  10. #10
    Lifer LuvDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ashland, MA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,728

    Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

    This is new from unifi and something that I think would make sense for people who want an all in one solution that can be expanded easily

    https://store.ui.com/collections/uni...-dream-machine

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

  11. #11
    Lifer oVTo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North of Boston
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    How far north of Boston are you? I could swing by in the next couple of weeks if you want. I owe you for driving me from Austin to Dallas (or was it the other way around?) that time.

    I've used the Orbi setup at my in-laws' places, they love it and (importantly) I never get called to fix it. I'm sure the Ubiquiti stuff is very good too.
    I'm up in Groton, but nothing is owed. That's a long ride and great conversation made it seem much faster. Ok, maybe not faster but definitely a much better drive. But I do appreciate your offer and I will probably take you up on it. But it might be a while because I'm kind of swamped right now.

    My current extender seems to be mostly OK. Not great but it only rarely causes problems. But I need that 'rare' to be 'never'.

    Everyone who replied - thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

  12. #12
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,167

    Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

    Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    I'm up in Groton, but nothing is owed. That's a long ride and great conversation made it seem much faster. Ok, maybe not faster but definitely a much better drive. But I do appreciate your offer and I will probably take you up on it. But it might be a while because I'm kind of swamped right now.
    Happy to help -- just let me know when.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •