Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

I saw the $40/200MBPS FIOS package in another thread and I'm thinking about going that way and getting rid of TV.
    My old FIOS router is coax from the ONT, so a new router is in the picture. I don't want to rent. I also don't want to spend $700 on a router.
    My office is far away from the router and I currently have a cheapo extender but it's not working that well. The speed seems to be fine but I keep getting "Unstable Internet" warning messages while Zooming. And stable Zoom is my #1 priority. I fear the stability problem is in the ONT, but have no evidence to support that.
    We have lots of connected devices, but nothing using a shit-ton of bandwidth.

Anyway, what do those of you up on the latest hardware recommend?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Everybody to the limit!

Re: What is the new hotness in routers/extenders?

I use a pair of tp-link deco m5s to handle the two floors of our 2k sq ft colonial and it does the job well. Stable 5ghz connection in every room and no issues when my wife and I are both on zoom calls.

The more expensive routers have dedicated backhaul channels, but I haven't noticed any latency or performance issues with 200mbps fios that would suggest they are necessary at this speed. Literbit internet could probably justify a dedicated backhaul, but you'll never use all that bandwidth.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Honclfibr; 09-23-20 at 07:00 PM.

How easy is it to run Cat 6 around your house for hardwired access points?

I’m a big fan of the UniFi Ubiquiti stuff.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

I ran CAT 5 to a few rooms including my office many years ago. I could probably pull some CAT 6 through to replace it, but I'd like to avoid doing that if possible.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    I saw the $40/200MBPS FIOS package in another thread and I'm thinking about going that way and getting rid of TV.
    My old FIOS router is coax from the ONT, so a new router is in the picture. I don't want to rent. I also don't want to spend $700 on a router.
    My office is far away from the router and I currently have a cheapo extender but it's not working that well. The speed seems to be fine but I keep getting "Unstable Internet" warning messages while Zooming. And stable Zoom is my #1 priority. I fear the stability problem is in the ONT, but have no evidence to support that.
    We have lots of connected devices, but nothing using a shit-ton of bandwidth.

Anyway, what do those of you up on the latest hardware recommend?
    How far north of Boston are you? I could swing by in the next couple of weeks if you want. I owe you for driving me from Austin to Dallas (or was it the other way around?) that time.

I've used the Orbi setup at my in-laws' places, they love it and (importantly) I never get called to fix it. I'm sure the Ubiquiti stuff is very good too.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I ran CAT 5 to a few rooms including my office many years ago. I could probably pull some CAT 6 through to replace it, but I'd like to avoid doing that if possible.
    CAT 5 is more than fine for any residential application. If you were starting from scratch, it would be worth it to consider CAT 6 or better.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

I think you already know this, but those Zoom warnings likely aren't related to your ISP package and probably everything to do you with your wifi.

Before putting in the extender, had you tried changing the wifi channels?
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Iím a big fan of the UniFi Ubiquiti stuff.
    Same here. Although I'd say it's a little more complicated than most typical consumer stuff. Not terribly, but it's hardly a 'one click setup' thing. The web-gui controller being a desktop service is a little funky too. Been very reliable and the range is great on the AP I have.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    The web-gui controller being a desktop service is a little funky too. Been very reliable and the range is great on the AP I have.
    I moved my controller to a spare Raspberry Pi because I didn't like it relying on my desktop. It's been working fine for years on end. I'm also a proponent of Ubiquiti equipment if you can tolerate the learning curve of getting everything operational. They have recently come out with more general consumer focused products but I don't have any experience with them. I currently use a 6+ year old Edge Router Lite, Unifi 16 port gen-1 POE switch, UAP-AC-PRO, UAP-AC-HD, and a UAP-OUTDOOR+, in addition to some now retired earlier generation access points. Everything has been rock stable and I get a kick out of the fact that my neighbor roams onto my network through the woods when he is sitting on his porch no more than 25' away from his Comcast router.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 09-23-20 at 10:29 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I moved my controller to a spare Raspberry Pi because I didn't like it relying on my desktop. It's been working fine for years on end.
    Same, although I set up the pi a few months ago. Yet another device to update/maintain though. Hardly a big deal, but does require some Linux 101.

nedirtriders.com

This is new from unifi and something that I think would make sense for people who want an all in one solution that can be expanded easily

https://store.ui.com/collections/uni...-dream-machine

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    How far north of Boston are you? I could swing by in the next couple of weeks if you want. I owe you for driving me from Austin to Dallas (or was it the other way around?) that time.

I've used the Orbi setup at my in-laws' places, they love it and (importantly) I never get called to fix it. I'm sure the Ubiquiti stuff is very good too.
    I'm up in Groton, but nothing is owed. That's a long ride and great conversation made it seem much faster. Ok, maybe not faster but definitely a much better drive. But I do appreciate your offer and I will probably take you up on it. But it might be a while because I'm kind of swamped right now.

My current extender seems to be mostly OK. Not great but it only rarely causes problems. But I need that 'rare' to be 'never'.

Everyone who replied - thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated!

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal

I'm up in Groton, but nothing is owed. That's a long ride and great conversation made it seem much faster. Ok, maybe not faster but definitely a much better drive. But I do appreciate your offer and I will probably take you up on it. But it might be a while because I'm kind of swamped right now.
    Happy to help -- just let me know when.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek