Hunting 2017

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Hunting 2017

How many hunters do we have around here? Bow, muzzleloader, shotgun, rifle, whatever?

Anyone else getting pumped for the opening of muzzleloader? Not exactly old school, but still somewhat primitive. Percussion and I shoot Maxi Balls, but still. The only true left-handed rifle I own...

Hunting 2017-img_20171017_213230370-jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Hunting 2017

I hunt bow and rifle, although I may stick with just bow for the rest of the season.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    ...whatever?
    Mountain Howitzer? MT. HOWITZER

But in all seriousness, I don't hunt. Just the occasional varmint extermination (I hate red squirrels).

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Living in eastern MA my options are fairly limited. Most of my old woods are either developed or packed with mountain bikers so I stick to ducks in salt marshes. Haven't been in a few years because of kids' sports, etc but would love to get back out there.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Last year was a bust so I'm hopeful this year is fruitful. I've never done bow or muzzleloader; rifle/shotty only.

A friend just bought 54 acres out by Palmer and said I can hunt that too, but I haven't scouted it at all so I don't think that will happen this year.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Designing life since 1985 RyanNicholson's Avatar
    iTrader Score

I miss being out there... grew up building/shooting/hunting contemporary flintlocks. I'll get back into it one of these days, but unfortunately it won't be this season. That said, a buddy got a 6 pointer the other day and dropped off 30lbs or so of meat at my house over the weekend, with a few more tags in their group... so no shortage of venison haha. Made for a great dinner last night.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Going to get out there one way or another.............

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I usually do bow, shotty/rifle, then muzzle. We don't get an early muzzle loader over here unless you got north unfortunately.

Last year I got a 3 on opening day.. was bummed, thought it was gonna be a 6 or 8 but had a lot of sunrise in my scope. Just saw a basket and went for it. Basket was empty.. lol. I also got a decent 6 during muzzle loader.

Bow has been open since the 1st over here, but I haven't made it out yet. I probably won't at this point. I'll wait for rifle.

Got skunked in colorado for elk last month too. Expensive camping trip.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Been out with the bow a few times however neither the cameras (or I) have seen anything other than at night. Took the week of muzzleloader off to hunt and work on a woodshed I'm ridiculously behind schedule on.

Fitz

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

haven't made up my mind, been nearly 40 years since the last time I went deer hunting, mostly cause it was discouraging not even seeing sign of deer while working in the field, but past few years, that has changed, NH F&G is doing a much better job managing the herd than they did 40 years ago. I have found a couple spots with good activity, one on a F&G easement near my house, the other on a survey project I am now working on

I do really want to get out and shoot some yotes, maybe some night hunting when the night season opens, and next year try my hand at turkeys

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    I hunt bow and rifle, although I may stick with just bow for the rest of the season.
    More & more people are going strictly bow lately it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    I usually do bow, shotty/rifle, then muzzle. We don't get an early muzzle loader over here unless you got north unfortunately.

Last year I got a 3 on opening day.. was bummed, thought it was gonna be a 6 or 8 but had a lot of sunrise in my scope. Just saw a basket and went for it. Basket was empty.. lol. I also got a decent 6 during muzzle loader.

Bow has been open since the 1st over here, but I haven't made it out yet. I probably won't at this point. I'll wait for rifle.

Got skunked in colorado for elk last month too. Expensive camping trip.
    A buddy recently took one such expensive camping trip to Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Been out with the bow a few times however neither the cameras (or I) have seen anything other than at night. Took the week of muzzleloader off to hunt and work on a woodshed I'm ridiculously behind schedule on.

Fitz
    You've got some GREAT areas out in New Boston. If you can get up near the tracking station and that corner of Bedford/New Boston, hit it. It's been 25 or so years since I hunted that area, but I'm still hearing good things. The area up in the woods way behind New Boston Town Hall was always a sweet spot too...

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    haven't made up my mind, been nearly 40 years since the last time I went deer hunting, mostly cause it was discouraging not even seeing sign of deer while working in the field, but past few years, that has changed, NH F&G is doing a much better job managing the herd than they did 40 years ago. I have found a couple spots with good activity, one on a F&G easement near my house, the other on a survey project I am now working on

I do really want to get out and shoot some yotes, maybe some night hunting when the night season opens, and next year try my hand at turkeys
    I'm ready to go with ya, Randy. Day hunting coyotes once we have steady frost is pretty easy. They're still allusive as fuck, but they're easier to find. Jan 1 - March 31 is night hunting, I believe...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

....................... PinHead's Avatar
    iTrader Score

I would like to, but due to the lack of "legal" locations around me there are more and more people squishing into the spots where we can go. There are so many stands around mine now that I don't feel like going out, sucks but it feels too crowded. When I go bow hunting I want to feel like I am somewhat alone and have some space, never mind shotgun or muzzle loader season.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 BMW R 1200 GS
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    05 WR 250F
    98 KTM 200EXC

iTrader Score

Snow

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    You've got some GREAT areas out in New Boston. If you can get up near the tracking station and that corner of Bedford/New Boston, hit it. It's been 25 or so years since I hunted that area, but I'm still hearing good things. The area up in the woods way behind New Boston Town Hall was always a sweet spot too...
    That's my back yard. Literally.

Had some luck in Merrimack on Nov 1st. Small doe.

Was itching to get out this morning as we had a little over an inch of snow up on the hill however Brazil is in house auditing us at work so no luck. Next week perhaps...

Fitz

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Saturday is opening day here. Really looking forward to it, even with the rain and ice we're supposed to get.

0 Not allowed!