Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Idaho roadtrip....

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Idaho roadtrip....

Throwing this out there for potential input.

Doing an outdoorsy road trip our Northwestish.

Goal is to see blue water and green grass with mtns.

Tentative plan is fly into Salt lake city mid July. focus is the Sawtooths not so much Utah unless on the direct route to said Sawtooths

Looking at a map big areas that catch our eye is cCaters of the moon park in Idaho, Birds of prey Conservation park. Then check out Sawtooth national forest, Do some horseback riding nears Hellsgate and couple days off the salmon river hiking fishing or what not. Ten check out the snake river area.

Check out the "wine valleys" of Washington near Walla Walla and finally fly out of Spokane

These are shallow ideas. any one recommend anything specific along those areas or thing to see/ do?
    Heading out with my female friend ( wife approved) she's out doorsy ( not a 4k hiker but outdoorsy).

We/re avoiding Jackson hole/ yellowstone/ teton. But could fly into Jackson ( not direct, SLC is however and cheaper) check out the town then to craters of the moon(Seen Yellowstone/ tetons and its a shit show of tourists in mid july)

Would love any input

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: Idaho roadtrip....

I don't know if it's too far north for you but I visited Glacier National Park in Montana last September/October and my wife and I both thought it was magnificent. We did a bunch of day hikes and really had a great time.

Here are a few pics that we took just driving through the park on Going-To-The-Sun Road.

Idaho roadtrip....-20180926_095219_hdr-2-jpg

Idaho roadtrip....-img_0662-jpg

Idaho roadtrip....-20180926_094948-jpg

0 Not allowed!

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

dam.... that is gorgeous

Unfortunately my friend spent 3 weeks in Glacier last summer so she wants a bit different, otherwise i'd have focused on glacier

was that road as " height scary" as i think? me and high passes dont do so well.

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

A quick stop to stretch going into Craters of The Moon is in Hawkbill monument in Arco. Only 5- 1- minutes at most. For a laugh get your photo next to the spud king while passing through Blackfoot Idaho. Word of advise, they do NOT think its funny when you ask for a Maine potato.

1 Not allowed!

And if yo have time...Yakama Valley Washington (Portteus Winery)

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    dam.... that is gorgeous

Unfortunately my friend spent 3 weeks in Glacier last summer so she wants a bit different, otherwise i'd have focused on glacier

was that road as " height scary" as i think? me and high passes dont do so well.
    If your friend spent 3 weeks there I don't blame her for wanting to go somewhere new. I still recommend it to anyone who hasn't been there before though.

My wife doesn't like heights so she was nervous on that road the first day that we were there. She was OK with it after that until we drove up to Logan Pass after it snowed overnight. She got really nervous on that drive! It was worth it for the hike that we did though.

Idaho roadtrip....-img_0676-jpg

0 Not allowed!