Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Injet printers

Injet printers

Anyone have experience using either the Epson Ecotank or Cannon Megatank inkjet printers? Im considering buying a printer with the large capacity ink reservoir but wasnt too impressed with the quality the demo printed out (1st generation Ecotank). Id be BS if I spent the +$3xx only to find it regularly skipped lines or had paper jams. Id considered buying a CISS kit for my HP inkjet but the kits seem a bit cobbled together.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Injet printers

Is there a reason you don't want to go with laser?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

It's been years since I'd looked at one outside an office environment due to the cost. Do they make sense for a home printer, especially with color?

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    Id considered buying a CISS kit for my HP inkjet but the kits seem a bit cobbled together.
    they may have changed but i would steer clear of these types of kits. i destroyed a high end, large format Epson by installing one of those kits. i didn't cheap out either. pissed doesn't even come close to my reaction. i smashed the shit out of ALL of it i was so disgusted.

i don't have any experience with those particular inkjets but for all of them i've used, clogged heads, skipped lines and paper jams just seem to be part of the deal. we had much better luck with color lazer in a mixed-use small office of designers and reg users.

what are you typically printing?

Beta 200RR

It's been years since I'd looked at one outside an office environment due to the cost. Do they make sense for a home printer, especially with color?
    depending on your needs and budget, yes, there are some nice options available these days.

Beta 200RR

I'm still running a Samsung 310C for my home printer. It is a color laser and does a nice job.
    I also have a large format inkjet, HP, for 11x17 dwgs. It has to be run once a week or does a shitty job. I wish I could afford an 11x17 laser...

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Lifer

Yep. I just bought a color laser Brother multifunction with wifi for a little over $300. Simple black & white laser single function are like a third of that. The catch is that on average, they're all larger units.

I can't comment from a frequent use POV, since I rarely use a printer. But I had a basic cheap B/W laser for years before this. Maybe inkjets got better, but I'm still sour on waiting for the heads to clean, and finding blotches and streaks on the print out. Even when it came out right, never looked as laser anyway.

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

I have a newer ecotank and its not great. As you mentioned it does skip lines but i only see that in full color copies and its not that it skipped it, its that it skipped certain colors in a line. Still looks like shit but for the low end stuff i use it for its ok. Truthfully i try not to useif i can help it. 99% of my printing is done on an older brother mono laserjet printer. Things a tank and has never given me an issue. My ecotank has already been serviced once and it didnt fix dick. When it dies im going to get a nice brother color something or other.

we just bought an Epson WF7610 about 6 weeks ago, ink cartridges are much larger than the HP OfficeJet it replaced (but smaller than the cartridges in our DesignJet plotter)

2 paper trays, + bypass stack

prints & scans, borderless, 2 sided up to 11x17

I will put it to the true test next week publishing a wetlands impact application

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

any printer will paper jam with damp paper. We keep a dehumidifier going, winter is not as bad with heat on, other 3 seasons, we are pulling 2-3 gallons of water out of the air every day in our 900 sq ft office space

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Interesting fact, as printers become larger and faster laser technology is cheaper. That said, quality is not as good. The best quality and highest speed production printers are....INK JET! Of course this really only becomes true when the printer is at least the size of a vending machine (laser desktop kicks the shit out of ink jet desktop) and I typically work on machines that are about the size of a half ton pickup sliced in half longways. These are all digital machines...offset is a different thread.

Edit: I realize this has nothing to do with this thread...but it's winter.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 12-29-17 at 03:51 PM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Just bought an HP M477dfw for my office.

HP

Dic on

just bought two of these for our office.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Injet printers-varioprint-6330-titan-fsr_800x338-png  

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Interesting fact, as printers become larger and faster laser technology is cheaper. That said, quality is not as good. The best quality and highest speed production printers are....INK JET! Of course this really only becomes true when the printer is at least the size of a vending machine (laser desktop kicks the shit out of ink jet desktop) and I typically work on machines that are about the size of a half ton pickup sliced in half longways. These are all digital machines...offset is a different thread.

Edit: I realize this has nothing to do with this thread...but it's winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    just bought two of these for our office.
    not to side track but do you guys work for a print house? i need high quality digital and offset printing from time to time, would be nice to know some locals.

Beta 200RR

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    not to side track but do you guys work for a print house? i need high quality digital and offset printing from time to time, would be nice to know some locals.
    Yep! Send a PM. We have offset in Marlboro, MA and we do digital color and B/W in East Providence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Yep! Send a PM. We have offset in Marlboro, MA and we do digital color and B/W in East Providence.
    rad . danke!

Beta 200RR

I have a samsung 460 laser 4 color been happy and it came with full cartridge

EVERY ink jet was DRY by the time I used it

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Thanks for all the great info. You saved me from making a poor choice. As someone on this forum reminded re recently "buy once, cry once". Sounds like I need to start looking at a color laser.

Injet printers

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    rad . danke!
    We also have digital color in Marlborough...actually better digital color than in East Providence, its a new Canon VP10000. Can do up to 13.9x30. Our offset press is a 5 color machine that will do 24x48 with some smaller 3 color presses as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

xxaarraa

After years of wrangling with stupid inkjets that always ran out of ink just when you needed to print, or always dried up and needed the head cleaned and aligned, and paying through the nose for their factory ink cartridges (Epson, Canon etc they all charge an arm and a leg for their tiny cartridges), I finally got a laser printer for the house and couldn't be happier. The thing is fast.

I got B&W only, but color laser is not that expensive these days. Highly recommend going laser route. Toner lasts longer than ink cartridges and never dries out.

$129 buckaroos. Amazon.com: Canon imageCLASS MF244dw Wireless, Multifunction, Duplex Laser Printer: Electronics

Last edited by xxaarraa; 12-29-17 at 08:39 PM.

Ordered a color laser. Thanks for the great imput. My only question (being that it is winter) what oil should I use with it?

xxaarraa

Ordered a color laser. Thanks for the great imput. My only question (being that it is winter) what oil should I use with it?
    If it's a 2 stroke printer, run Rotella T6 at 32:1

If it's a 4 stroke printer, run Rotella T6 at stated oil capacity on the oil pan.

Hell, even if it's an electric printer, still run Rotella T6 just to be safe.

Faaaaack that. Get some Silkolene 0w20 and double your pages per minute by not having to pump that heavy diesel targeted crap around your delicate digital wonder.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Faaaaack that. Get some Silkolene 0w20 and double your pages per minute by not having to pump that heavy diesel targeted crap around your delicate digital wonder.
    Do you realize that Silkolene is like $25 bucks a quart retail? Even if you find a deal online, its near $20 bucks a can.

For $20, you can get 8 gallons of Rotella or printer oil for life!

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Do you realize that Silkolene is like $25 bucks a quart retail? Even if you find a deal online, its near $20 bucks a can.

For $20, you can get 8 gallons of Rotella or printer oil for life!
    I have a gallon of Pro R 0w20 right beside me, it's what I ran in my pit bike. I'm fully aware of the wallet draining properties. Still faster than Rotella, when I'm printing my newest online Waifu I don't want to wait for the oil to come up to temp before I've got new wall art.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast