Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

input for gun safe ( with toddler in the house)

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

input for gun safe ( with toddler in the house)

Looking for a gun safe and insights (1 gun only for home defense)

Any input for reliability for bio metric vs key pad ( if key pad is silent)?
    The other constraint we have is that our closets dont have any "shelves"
    I'd have to build a shelf to place a safe onto it and then mount the safe to the shelf and to the wall.
    Floor mount is out as we don't want toddler hands on it.

My main concern is not letting my child access it or see it/ be aware of it, Theft is less of a concern

Amazon.com: GunVault SV500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe: Home Improvement
    This caught my eye as I could mount it to the inside of my closet wall but reviews on the failure rate of the biometric concern me. ( and to a degree biometrics in general for a first pass succes rate when you really need it NOW)

I then considered the key pad but then there is a human entry error rate in the dark with some "stress" invovled which I havent seen quantified vs biometric reading failure rates.

Any insight is appreciated. I'm leaning toward this
    Amazon.com : BARSKA Biometric Safe : Gun Safes And Cabinets : Home Improvement
    either in a key pad or biometric. I'd have to build the closet shelf however.

Placing one in a nightstand drawer is not an option with a toddler, we want it out of sight entirely for her.

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: input for gun safe ( with toddler in the house)

I'm not a fan of electronic locks for guns. It sounds like an in wall (between the studs) safe would be perfect for you.

Something simple with a key? Amazon.com: Stack-On IWC-22 In-Wall Cabinet: Home Improvement

or a combination Amazon.com: SentrySafe 7150 Dual Protection Wall Safe, 670 Cubic Inches, Gray: Home Improvement

Or, in my opinion the best lock option - Simplex Amazon.com: V-Line Quick Vault Locking Storage for Guns and Valuables: Sports & Outdoors

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

we thought about a wall safe. Not sure hot secure the pistol in there so it doesnt fall out when opened, when needed.
    Also keys get lost in this house. Alot.

Saw the simplex lock, Just seems like a new combo # to remember for something that I would use/ open 1x a month.= forgetting the combo. If it was for an EDC I coudl see a simplex lock because the repetition would occur to open it daily.

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

0 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by LaRNZ; 09-21-16 at 08:40 PM. Reason: forgot link
    .:|LaRNZ|:.

I went with one that uses buttons to press in a combination. The LAST thing I want is to have my safety held hostage by a battery, and find I can't open the box when I really need it because the battery is dead.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I have small kids and got this:

It is double sided taped to my nightstand. Yes, someone could stel it if they really wanted, but it is more just to keep the kids out and for me to feel comfortable having it loaded. You hit any button in the dark and it lights up, punch in your code, and a gas strut lifts the lid. It also has a key backup.

I would not get a biometric one. I cant get it to work for shit on my laptop, Ill be damned if someone is breaking into my house and Im sitting there swiping my thumb and the fucker is not recognizing me....

1 Not allowed!

I have a Fort Knox pistol box. It has a reliable mechanical lock and is very well built.

0 Not allowed!
    2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

My apartment is so small that if anyone ever broke in, there'd be no time to run to the bedroom or even open a safe. It seems to me that if it's in the safe, I might as well not have a gun and I should seek to ambush anyone who enters the room I'm in and take them out hand to hand.

That said, not everyone lives in a 4 room apartment with paper thin door jams, but just imagine how fast someone determined could make it through your house. Are you going to race them to the bedroom from whatever room you're in?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    My apartment is so small that if anyone ever broke in, there'd be no time to run to the bedroom or even open a safe. It seems to me that if it's in the safe, I might as well not have a gun and I should seek to ambush anyone who enters the room I'm in and take them out hand to hand.

That said, not everyone lives in a 4 room apartment with paper thin door jams, but just imagine how fast someone determined could make it through your house. Are you going to race them to the bedroom from whatever room you're in?
    A gun in every room solves that

Valid point though on hand to hand. Always good to several options of dealing with a threat and not always relying on the nuclear option, assuming it's even available to you at the time.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

We use a ShotLock which has a programmable Simplex lock. They also make a handgun safe that can be bolted to the wall or furniture. We have ours behind the door and almost no one notices it.

The ShotLock Solo-Vault for Handguns Excellent products. They have two sizes for handguns.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 09-22-16 at 10:33 AM.

I think the difference you are forgetting is having small children in the house.

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I think the difference you are forgetting is having small children in the house.
    I guess the point I was trying to make is that for me, if it's in a safe, it's totally unavailable no matter what "quick access" feature it has. Therefore, either I should carry every moment I'm awake and have alternate plans for nighttime intrusion, or simply use the alternate plan all the time and not worry about a quick access safe.

0 Not allowed!

I dunno, I think I could get into my safe pretty fast

Im comfortable with it

0 Not allowed!

I guess the point I was trying to make is that for me, if it's in a safe, it's totally unavailable no matter what "quick access" feature it has. Therefore, either I should carry every moment I'm awake and have alternate plans for nighttime intrusion, or simply use the alternate plan all the time and not worry about a quick access safe.
    I had to carry an M1911A1 24/7 for up to six weeks at a time while in the Army in Germany. Trying to take a shower is not that easy.

It's also handy to have secure storage for bullets, magazines, cash, etc. Whether quick access or not.

I'd think it wouldn't be that hard to slow someone down at the point of entry. Sandbags?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 09-22-16 at 01:41 PM.

I mean, this is all futile if you don't have clear sight lines from all your vantage points. Amiright?

Jesus guys, he just wants a decent safe to keep his offspring from getting themselves killed. This isn't Call of Duty or some Bond movie.

I'd go with the Gunvault you linked. That's what I'm going for.

5 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 09-22-16 at 01:59 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

to bring it back to point per Igluu.. yup just need a safe.
    Some good options/ opinions here.( also dont move to glodenchicken's neighborhood in hi crime boxborough where he needs access to a gun wherever he is in the house ( its a joke)

1- simplex locks - I worry about night time access if needed ( dont want to turn light on) unless I can find one with a light ( yes I understand you may need to open it it with with just feel in some cases)

I have no exp with biometric and I can see the "potential" issues with one ( incorrect angle/ pressure of finger for scanning etc) and the need for right now access
    Out of sight is needed for the toddler, i am ok with havign to walk 5 steps and opening a door vs letting my toddler see it play with it and jam things into it potentially and me not having immediate access

Shotlock has potential. I'd like to mount it vertically, any idea how to have the gun not fall out?

1 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post

I don't get it, what has changed? I grew up as one of 4 small toddlers, my dads long guns were leaned up behind his bedroom door, his handguns, ammo and cleaning kit were on a shelf in his bedroom closet, same as my grandfathers routine and my great grandfathers routine, we learned early on that guns were not toys, we were not allowed to have bb guns or toy guns, by the time we 10 or 11 years old, we had our own guns that we kept in our own closet

do you not trust yourself to educate your own children ?

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I don't get it, what has changed? I grew up as one of 4 small toddlers, my dads long guns were leaned up behind his bedroom door, his handguns, ammo and cleaning kit were on a shelf in his bedroom closet, same as my grandfathers routine and my great grandfathers routine, we learned early on that guns were not toys, we were not allowed to have bb guns or toy guns, by the time we 10 or 11 years old, we had our own guns that we kept in our own closet

do you not trust yourself to educate your own children ?
    Nothing has changed. Children are not a constant variable that act exactly the same way based on a replicated training method. What worked for you and me may not work with my kid. And theprice I "may" pay for them not understanding it is a potentially severe and immediate catastrophe. One i"m not comfortable with and finding out too late.

3 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Lol.

Yeah, it's not like kids have done shit their parents taught them not to do before.

3 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Agreed to that. I keep them locked up, not because we have children, but we do have visitors who have children sometimes, and I don't want to be responsible for creating a dangerous situation. When I did have children around that I was related to, I had more confidence in that, as I knew what their parents had trained them in, and had the opportunity to influence that training. But with the children of guests, I do not have a full idea of (and no control over) how knowledgeable, well-behaved, and trained they are. Or with some I do have a pretty good idea, and it's not necessarily positive.

Each household will have different needs and standards, different risks and priorities. (Which, of course, is why laws about this kind of thing are useless and stupid -- laws cannot take into account all the relevant variables and risks.)

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

The push button safes like the ones linked in this thread are what I use. No biometrics to fail, and once you practice your code a few dozen times getting it open is quick and almost automatic. They don't cost much which is a bonus.
    Now I'm looking for something to hold a short barrel shotgun securely and discreetly - I think they are a far safer / more effective home defense weapon.

1 Not allowed!

I have owned a gun vault biometric safe for several years now. Frankly, I've always been a fan of the Fort Knox safe, but my wife bought me this as an unexpected gift.

Being my OCD self, I still test it once or twice a week just for the hell of it. After years of doing this it's NEVER failed. Once I had to give it a second swipe but other than that it unlocks every time. Based on my own personal experience I'm very doubtful of the bad reviews these things get. Even if you have to give it a second swipe, I think it's still easier than any mechanical lock in regards to speed.

The problem is if you neglect the safe for an extended period. You get a good warning when the battery is low, but I would imagine if the safe went untouched long enough the battery could die without warning. Then you need the key and that's a problem if you need quick access in an emergency situation.

If you access your gun regularly to shoot, carry etc, and therefore will be using the safe regularly then you should be fine as you will be sure to get the low battery warning in time to change it.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    //1- simplex locks - I worry about night time access if needed ( dont want to turn light on) unless I can find one with a light ( yes I understand you may need to open it it with with just feel in some cases)//
    We have a two inch strip of luminous tape on the wall next to the lock. Daylight "charges" it enough that you can see the buttons though not the numbers.

We used the stuff in the Army so you could find your pack at a patrol base, find the radio mike in a dark track, etc. All packs look alike in the dark so you had to have a unique pattern.

Hard to find, I bought a roll, if you need a strip pm me your address and I'll send you a piece.

3 Not allowed!

Having a safe is step one, but from the age of 3 I taught my kids proper gun safety and they learned quickly. Unloaded guns, of course. Even in their Halloween pictures and when they went to Laser Craze they have always had proper muzzle and trigger control. A beautiful sight to see, but the real reason above everything else was safety.

3 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast