Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Intermittent Fasting

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P. View Post
    I have been practicing IF for about 3 years now and have pretty much incorporated into my lifestyle.

At first it was tough, always hungry, my focus wasn't on my work, but rather food. After about two weeks my body just got used to it.

A lot of the misconception about fasting is that you are STARVING YOURSELF. Which is untrue. You simply are making a change to the time of WHEN you eat, not necessarily WHAT you eat.
    IF just prolongs your fasting and helps your body not release insulin, which happens when it is metabolizing food, which makes it dip into fat reserves for energy.

My schedule when I first start IF with cardio/weight training:

+ Fast five days a week
    + Fast from 9pm (last meal) - 1pm (first meal)
    + Intake of liquids only during fast period (black coffee, water, tea) and ABSOLUTELY nothing with sugar
    + Workout in between fasting period (5am gym time)
    + Ate fewer meals, but matched the caloric intake

After about 1.5 months of this I went from 182lbs to 167lbs. My body looked great, but most importantly the mental aspect of it was a plus. Mentally I felt better, happier, more energetic. My focus was sharp now that I didn't think about food all the time. It became a meal of nutrition rather than something I had to have every day. Though, sometimes I do fast for 24 hours. Take everything with a grain of salt though. I tried Keto, Atkins and a myriad of other diet, but IF simply works best for me.
    I have been doing this since thanksgiving. Eat from 12-8 only and have not been exercising like I should. Went from 207 to 194, but the mental clarity and energy is so much better. If I worked out more consistently I think I would get to the 180 ish I want to be at.

Good news is I almost in the range of the KTMs stock springs now!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Also, this is the first "diet" that I think is sustainable and super easy to follow as I don't think about calories, just try to eat healthier. I find that cutting off calories at 8 really limits my eating when I get the munchies and cuts back on the alcohol, both of which are major contributors for my weight issues

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    So I've been trying this for my morning workouts and I've had an ammonia smell in my nose multiple times during a workout from burning protein because there aren't enough carbs present. How do I get around this? I'm assuming I have to fuel with carbs at some point regardless? It usually happens 45-60 minutes into a workout. Has happened during running, swimming, and cycling.
    Are you worried about muscle loss? Plenty of people workout and stay completely keto so you don't necessarily NEED carbs. When you eat you end up putting protein "back" and then some. One step back 2 steps forward kind of thing.

Muscles can store a few hundred calories worth of glycogen and your liver 1200 or so. You can do rough math from when you stopped eating to when you're gonna be burning fat/protein.

As you do it more I think you'll find your body will become more efficient at using ketones for fuel and you went notice the smell as much. If you're gonna eat carbs, it's gonna be a slower process to adapt.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Are you worried about muscle loss? Plenty of people workout and stay completely keto so you don't necessarily NEED carbs. When you eat you end up putting protein "back" and then some. One step back 2 steps forward kind of thing.

Muscles can store a few hundred calories worth of glycogen and your liver 1200 or so. You can do rough math from when you stopped eating to when you're gonna be burning fat/protein.

As you do it more I think you'll find your body will become more efficient at using ketones for fuel and you went notice the smell as much. If you're gonna eat carbs, it's gonna be a slower process to adapt.
    you could also do the above and add exogenous ketones. helps with feeling like shit prior to getting into ketosis (keto flu). They will help you with energy during that time. Just be careful because some of them contain a lot of caffeine and made me feel jittery.

When I was in my late 30s I reached a point where my body was degrading and it seemed there was nothing I could do about it. I was slowly and steadily gaining weight regardless of what I did. My biggest concern was where I would end up if I didn't stop it. I was a competitive cyclist from high school through my 20's so I know what exercise is. Granted, I wasn't riding like I did in those years, but getting a good cardio workout in was something I new how to do. I tried all kinds of dieting in combination with working out. When I saw improvement, it was just a matter of time before I went back to the way I was. Sure, the dieting and exercise was having an impact, but not one I could sustain. I was either working my ass off and hungry all the time, or deteriorating into mush. I couldn't find a comfortable middle ground.

The game changer for me was strength training. Putting on muscle completely transformed my body on a more permanent level. It took about a year or so to achieve the necessary level of gains to get to where I am. I look and feel much better even after months of not working out. Now when I want to lose weight, I just eat less and the weight comes off. Once you're there, maintaining it is also a lot easier. I go for a run every now and then. I also lift every couple of weeks with the occasional stint of a 3 day/Week program for anywhere from 2 to 6 months (depending on the stint). It's far less effort than dieting that's for sure.

Strength training is super easy if you go about it correctly. Stick with the 5 main compound lifts, start light, and add a small amount of weight every workout. You'd be surprised how strong you can get relative to the effort you put in by following this method.

There is a reason why lifting is being referred to as the new fountain of youth.

5 main compound lifts

Squats.
    Deadlifts.
    Bench press.
    Barbell row.
    Overhead barbell press.

https://www.fitnesseducation.edu.au/...fts-to-master/

Last edited by SteveM; 01-13-21 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    5 main compound lifts

Squats.
    Deadlifts.
    Bench press.
    Barbell row.
    Overhead barbell press.

I use this app to do that exact thing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting to talk about trying to lay down a hot lap in the intermediate group?

5 main compound lifts

Squats.
    Deadlifts.
    Bench press.
    Barbell row.
    Overhead barbell press.

I use this app to do that exact thing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
    Yup. Love Stronglifts. It's all I do. Nice and balanced, quick and easy.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Yup. Love Stronglifts. It's all I do. Nice and balanced, quick and easy.
    Do you pay for it? I find the free version to be more than enough.

Do you pay for it? I find the free version to be more than enough.
    I bought it years ago. It was like 5 bucks. I think there's all kinds of different options now since he needs to compete with all the other YouTubers pushing programs.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

You guys inspired me. I'm not really exercising right now while back East where its cold and there is no snow to go ski touring....so going to hop on the noon-8pm train while I'm here.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I'm just adding in nightly TRX workouts. I realized that I'm at a point in life where I don't want to suffer for those last ten pounds. I'll eat breakfast and do more strength work for now and see how that goes.

Paul_E_D

5x5 is great. I used it after I broke my leg to get back my strength and it came back quick. I'm still looking to get back into a crossfit gym but I'm gonna move this year so it's skinning and weighted stairs till then.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

I just need to get back on a bike and all will be good again. I was climbing a lot pre-COVID in addition to bikes, but COVID put a complete stope to that. I also had a gym in my office so I rolled around, stretched, and did core just about everyday before work or at the climbing gym. I felt much more like a human then, I just struggle to workout in my house.

I'm trying to ride mountain bikes a lot more which is marginally more engaging.

Considering running again while I'm back east...but blah.

5 main compound lifts

Squats.
    Deadlifts.
    Bench press.
    Barbell row.
    Overhead barbell press.

Don’t forget pull-ups!

Those are the only exercises I do, or did, before covid.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I think I already basically do IF all the time by mistake. I basically never eat breakfast; I have coffee and lots of work. Can't ever take a break for lunch until 1230ish, so eat a good lunch then. Maybe 3 or 4 I'll have a snack. And can't get away from work early enough to have dinner until usually ~730. I usually try not to snack after that. So I'm doing this 16:8 thing you all are talking about naturally, I think... lol

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

One week completed

217.8 - 212.3 = 5.5 pound lost.

Don't bother with the "it's water, It's..., blah blah blah"

I'm just reporting what the scale told me.

I feel better, am not really hungry during the fasting times. Exercise has been minimal, that has to pick up this week.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Donít forget pull-ups!

Those are the only exercises I do, or did, before covid.
    Pull-Ups are a substitute for Barbell Rows. I prefer to rotate that particular lift between pull-ups, barbell rows, and power cleans.

I have yet to try intermittent fasting but if I really want to cut back some fat I may try it. My guess is that as I get older losing weight will become more difficult and lifting alone will no longer cut it.

Probably going to get some flack for this, but the easiest way to lose weight is with stimulants and calorie counting. You can get behind the counter pseudoephedrine to curb your appetite and improve workout strength while dieting (the stuff that's controlled because ppl make meth with it, but still legal to buy and use without prescription), take it twice a day (first thing in the morning, and around lunch time). Nicotine is also great for curbing your appetite. Add caffeine from coffee or similar and you'll never feel like eating.

I'm not saying it's the healthiest way to do it but if you've ever seen "Requiem for a dream" you know it works LOL

YouTube: The Motorcycle Room 2014 MV Agusta Rivale - 2007 CBR600RR (race) - 1999 SV650S (race) - 2011 TM Racing EN 250

Quote Originally Posted by tucktuvak View Post
    Probably going to get some flack for this, but the easiest way to lose weight is with stimulants and calorie counting. You can get behind the counter pseudoephedrine to curb your appetite and improve workout strength while dieting (the stuff that's controlled because ppl make meth with it, but still legal to buy and use without prescription), take it twice a day (first thing in the morning, and around lunch time). Nicotine is also great for curbing your appetite. Add caffeine from coffee or similar and you'll never feel like eating.

I'm not saying it's the healthiest way to do it but if you've ever seen "Requiem for a dream" you know it works LOL
    Stack with Ambien and seltzer

Pseudoephedrine is a banned substance in excess quantities, so please consider if you do any sport where you may get tested.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 01-15-21 at 12:20 PM.

Intermittent fasting is half the battle. It will knock off probably 5-10lbs but you will plateau. It does help though and I am a huge supporter of it but since Covid, I haven't been good about exercising but I am still keeping up with intermittent fasting and I still am 15 lbs over but I am 5'9" and 185 lbs. I should be more like 170 lbs. I would be over 190 if it weren't for intermittent fasting. I do the 16/8 method so I eat from 12-8pm and fast from 8pm to noon and only drink coffee or water during fasting.

Ok, I may cave and try the 16:8 for a few weeks before heading on a surf trip. How do you handle days where you workout before work? I can't see doing that without eating. I have joined Orange Theory so I can workout with Kerry. It's pretty intense HR based interval training with strength blended in.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Ok, I may cave and try the 16:8 for a few weeks before heading on a surf trip. How do you handle days where you workout before work? I can't see doing that without eating. I have joined Orange Theory so I can workout with Kerry. It's pretty intense HR based interval training with strength blended in.
    As long as the workout is less than an hour or so I don't have a problem doing it on an empty stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Your workouts will be "harder" and you'll "lose" performance at first. Otherwise there is info that fasted cardio is better for helping VO2Max and maximizing fat loss. You do trade off a little of the strength training benefits by not eating right away and maximizing on the GH spike, but you still have that spike for 24 hours or so after so it's not all for nothing. If your goal was maximum strength gains it would be a different story.

You can go really deep the rabbit hole if you want, but I'd recommend at least watching the first video. He's a little heavy on the promotions, but he provides links in the descriptions to the studies he references, which I like. Plenty of talking heads on YouTube parroting similar stuff, but no references to back any of it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3LHEGTbA5A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_p7yc-qf-I

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast