Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Intermittent Fasting

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Sounds like an intentional setup for failure? That weight and height would be fairly shredded, no?

Relying on IF as proof of concept but not keeping track of calories to get that low doesn't seem like the recipe for success.

I've said it a few times, IF seems best for weight loss for people who need an easy structure to help them shed lots of excess. It's not some magical tool that melts fat regardless. Trying to get shredded needs a lot more effort unless you're a teenager or blessed with a crazy fast metabolism. The closer we are to ideal weight, the more control we need over other aspects of life to see large results.
    5-7 @ 155 is borderline hedging into overweight territory.

I was feeling somewhat fit at 139 but to be actually skinny and not having a belly is closer to low 130's if I had to guess. Haven't been there since early highschool so who knows. 139 for the wedding 6 months ago was the lightest I have been in as long as I remember.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    5-7 @ 155 is borderline hedging into overweight territory.

I was feeling somewhat fit at 139 but to be actually skinny and not having a belly is closer to low 130's if I had to guess. Haven't been there since early highschool so who knows. 139 for the wedding 6 months ago was the lightest I have been in as long as I remember.
    Thanks for implying I'm fat.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

5-7 here. I consider 125 to be fighting weight for me. 130 I'm happy with. Athletic build, not weight lifter build.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    5-7 here. I consider 125 to be fighting weight for me. 130 I'm happy with. Athletic build, not weight lifter build.
    Now I absolutely feel like a whale! I was happy going from 180 to high 150s.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I have small bones. No, really, I do. But that also jives with weight charts, such as they are.

Paul_E_D

Thanks for implying I'm fat.
    This is with the caveat of being average person build and kind of BMI based (which doesn't account for builders)

When I was lifting (years ago) I think I was at 165 or so and looked much better than I do now due to the obvious muscle weighting more than fat.

If you're seriously working out than you have a different scale.

If you have an office body like I do now... well then... youre in solid "dad bod" category.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    That's my goal to hit that just to see what I'd look like. Wife says I'd look skin and bones and I disagree. However if I do look too skinny I'd gladly pasta/ice cream it up and easily gain the weight back. For me never been a problem of putting it back on.

Last edited by Vovchandr; 03-01-21 at 01:46 PM.

Not directly related to IF but I think a bunch of you have encountered a similar problem. If you think a separate thread is better just tell me to fuucckkkkkk off with it.

I've been trying really hard as of late to eliminate sugar from my diet unless it's during exercise. What foods do you eat to get carbs without added sugar? I've found one pasta at the grocery store without sugar this far... But that's about it. The easier to prepare the better as well.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Not directly related to IF but I think a bunch of you have encountered a similar problem. If you think a separate thread is better just tell me to fuucckkkkkk off with it.

I've been trying really hard as of late to eliminate sugar from my diet unless it's during exercise. What foods do you eat to get carbs without added sugar? I've found one pasta at the grocery store without sugar this far... But that's about it. The easier to prepare the better as well.
    I am not a nutritionist but I think there is an important difference between products that use sugar for chemical reasons (e.g. bread) versus for taste reasons (e.g. soda). So long as sugar is pretty far down the list of ingredients by volume, is it really worth worrying about?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Don't think of sugar as the enemy, think of added sugar as more the problem. Whole grain pastas and breads, steel cut oats, more quinoa and brown rice type stuff or even veggie based pastas. Load up on lentils and make curried type stuff instead of white rice and potatoes. Chicken breasts with curries is way better then chicken and white rice for example.

A war on sugar will drive you crazy. Focus on less refined products and not as much sticky sweet stuff and I think you'll find life easier.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Don't think of sugar as the enemy, think of added sugar as more the problem. Whole grain pastas and breads, steel cut oats, more quinoa and brown rice type stuff or even veggie based pastas. Load up on lentils and make curried type stuff instead of white rice and potatoes. Chicken breasts with curries is way better then chicken and white rice for example.

A war on sugar will drive you crazy. Focus on less refined products and not as much sticky sweet stuff and I think you'll find life easier.
    Good feedback thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to expand my cooking abilities! Added sugars is definitely the first priority.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Good carbs. Sweet potatoes, beans, lots of grains. Faro, quinoa, barley, etc. All are super easy to cook, and delicious.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Good feedback thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to expand my cooking abilities! Added sugars is definitely the first priority.
    Buy a pasta cutter. There are only like four ingredients in pasta dough. Flour, egg, salt, and olive oil. Make little piles of fettachini on a baking sheet, with parchment paper. Freeze before putting in ziplock. No sugar in there, it's delicious, and cheap. Little olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a sauté pan for a sauce. Delicious.

Started the intermittent fasting program today. I took a fall just before Xmas and damaged 4 of the 5 lumbar discs in my back and I have gained almost 20lbs in the past month. I’m limited to what I can do physically, it’s mostly been walking a few miles each day to try and stay somewhat active.
    We eat pretty healthy in general, but portion control at meals, and eating dinner later than we should isn’t helping.
    Currently I’m 191lbs, I was 171lbs before Xmas, which was the lowest I’ve been in years. I feel 165 is a good target for me.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    i nix'd alcohol 2nd week of Jan, lessened cheese and bread, added in basic walks on the treadmill w/ light weights after and have dropped 8lbs. the beer really kills me. any time i cut alcohol out, 10lbs falls off in a few weeks.
    good thread, has kept me motivated. also helps that my wife got serious around the same time ... 16lbs down so far, 186 > 170lbs, feels great ... i had set 170 as my goal but aiming for 165 instead, i'm 5' 10" ... last time i focused like this i lost 30lbs dropping to 162 but that was hard to maintain after a few months (winter drinking mostly).

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Decided to give this ago as a proof of concept.

155lbs now. Shooting for 139 again. 5ft7.

Started about 2 weeks ago. Shooting for 16-8 but often will do 18-6 or less. I don't eat until 4pm period but will often stop eating at 10pm.

I'm still doing my ballpark calorie counting and reasonable eating but I won't stop myself if I want more to eat or actually count to test the whole IF concept for the principle of IF

I eat veggies, fruits, eggs, yogurt, salad, chicken etc as primary base. Always in the fridge and on hand. Drink water before eating and a vitamin. I don't go to carbs first but don't stop myself if I have them.

All home cooked stuff with occasional order of Chinese takeout (usually once a month or so)

Now full disclaimer I can eat, a lot. In a single sitting I can and desire to eat large portions to feel full. When I was calorie counting I'd have a pretty hard stop and it would achieve results for obvious reasons. Now that I'm trying the IF I don't stop myself while I'm within my eating period. I eat until I feel full. Breaks between meals however to let them settle down. 10 to 15 minutes. If I want a snack after meal while I'm within my hours I'll also have that.

Results:
    So far, 2 weeks in I'm down about a pound. Nothing revolutionary. I'll stick to it for a few more weeks but if I don't see progress I'll switch back to regular calorie counting and hard limits.
    Intermittent fasting has never worked for me.

Water fasting again since Sunday. Usually day 3 you get an energy boost so feeling good. Also gave away or ate any cheat foods in the house!

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

I only use fasting at the start of my 'diet' or when I'm at or near my 'fighting weight' which is 230 (@ 5'8", bodybuilder build). When I am close to my fighting weight, I usually fast on the weekends and try to get in fasted cardio.. Sundays, I will only eat 1 meal (to make up for the beer I drink on Saturdays lol). I started fasting 3 weeks ago but switched over yesterday. My body tells me when to switch cause I get super gassed quickly and start feeling and sleeping crappy. I'm at 275 now but should be back to fighting weight hopefully mid summer. Won't have the muscle size back, but I'm okay with that.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678