Internet help

Internet help

So I had frontier come up and upgrade my speed. I was playing around with settings and saw that i had a 5g option and a guest option

wondering if im doing this right.
    I set up my apple tvs, xbox, firestick, and ring doorbell on the 5g network as they are a faster one.

they also gave me an airi wifi extender but its instructions seem odd. in that you need 2 units for an extender. the router is in my basement of a ranch directly under the tv. WIFI coverage is pretty good in my house, with my master bedroom being a little iffy at times.

Am I doing this right? for an overall network setup.

0 Not allowed!

Re: Internet help

In simple terms...

If all your devices connect over 5GHz without too much signal loss, it's a better band to be on than 2.4GHz, due to less interference on that band. In practice, internet speeds won't be any different because ISPs around here don't provide internet speeds that are faster than what 2.4GHz wireless is capable of (2.4GHz can get speeds up to 300Mbps depending on your router and client).

If your connection is dropping out at 5GHz due to range, get on the 2.4GHz band with any device which needs longer range.

As far as the extender, well you probably don't need an extender in most houses around this area, especially if your router is centrally located.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

on the 5g it got speeds up to 29 mbps
    on the 2.4 it was 21.9 MBPS

0 Not allowed!

None of those devices you listed will be able to tell the difference between 29Mbps and 22Mbps for typical usage. That's internet throughput, not directly indicative of your wireless connection speed between your device and wireless access point.

Stop using the built in wireless in your cable modem and pick up a decent access point or wireless router. You'll see higher speeds and better range (but your speeds aren't bad now).

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in?

0 Not allowed!
    Matt
    '07 Yamaha FZ6 - Street
    '01 Honda CBR600F4i - Track
    '98 Suzuki DR350SE - Miscellaneous