Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Introducing a second dog to the house

Lifer

Introducing a second dog to the house

I know there are threads on this but I'm pretty lazy. Look like we're getting a second dog. Our current one is an 8 year-old female goldendoodle. The new one will be a two year-old female labradoodle. Mine is a pretty mellow dog, but can get possessive with her toys that squeak. The new one seems very well trained but still has some puppy in her. They've already spent the better part of a day together as a test - we did all the right things for the introduction and things went very smoothly. After half an hour they settled in, but we still watched them carefully.

I'd appreciate advice from folks who have gone through this about food and toys. Ours tends to snack at her kibble, sometimes not eating at all. I'd like to avoid any incidents with food or toy sharing.

Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Introducing a second dog to the house

It's hard to predict how dogs will ultimately get along. Doodle mixes, especially with retrievers, tend to be fairly well mannered so you aren't starting in too difficult of a situation.

Was your first introduction at your house? Inside or outside?

Many places recommend crate training for both young and old in separate parts of the house. I personally don't think this is necessary if the dogs have a good temper but I would initially provide the dogs with 2 sets of beds giving the new one to the younger dog so the older one isn't threatened with a strange animal in their turf. For feeding, I would keep them separate and over time bring their bowls closer together so they get used to each other. Keep an eye on the process and maintain your Alpha status if there are any disagreements. My history with multiple dogs is you will not be able to leave extra food lying around for them to graze on. Even if they get along, out of instinct they will eat competitively so that they don't risk losing food to the other. Many dogs, especially anything with lab in them, will eat until they throw up. Just keep that in mind.

The key is to watch them and adjust your strategy as the relationship matures (or deteriorates). Pay plenty of attention to both dogs and reinforce that they are part of "your" pack.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 07-09-17 at 08:45 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Many dogs, especially anything with lab in them, will eat until they throw up.
    LOL you got that right...and if all lab, they probably won't stop there!

Lifer

Thanks - initial meeting was outside. Everything was on a leash - we let them do a brief introductory sniff then took them for a long walk. After that we let them hang around, still on leash, then eventually let them both off. Everything went smoothly. After a couple of hours of this we brought them both in the house, and let the new dog off her leash about half an hour later. Again, everything went well. Both dogs are crate trained - our dog doesn't go in hers much anymore but we still have it out for her. We'll set up the new one's crate as well, so she has her own little place.

Lifer

So far so good - didn't really recognize how much the 8 year old had slowed down until we brought this one in the house. Our first has always been pretty casual, but WOW does this pup have energy. The older one just watches with a mix of disinterest and scorn. They are fine sharing toys, balls and, of course, eat each other's food. I think this has gone so smoothly because the older one is so chill.

I need to go into the office on Friday so the pup will be introduced to the dog walker and her 5 other dogs. We'll see how she does in a group dynamic.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Introducing a second dog to the house-img_0103-jpg

Introducing a second dog to the house-img_0054-jpg

I just went through this. I don't have much to add, other than it looks like I did it all wrong. I got the pupper home, put him in the back yard and the let my big doggo out. He charged the puppy but after further inspection they started playing. Now a few weeks later they are besties. They play rough, but the internets said it's normal.

Last edited by maxim_X; 07-20-17 at 03:40 PM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    ...other than it looks like I did it all wrong.
    Not wrong, just riskier.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    Our current one is an 8 year-old female goldendoodle. The new one will be a two year-old female labradoodle...
    So you have two mutts?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    So you have two mutts?
    wow, that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    wow, that's funny.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?