Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

iphone vs android phone

  1. #1
    Senior Member Viper897's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seacoast Maine
    Posts
    368

    iphone vs android phone


    ok NESR community I need some help when it comes to phones.

    I can upgrade whenever so no rush but it seems as though the iphone is taking over the market. I currently have Galaxy S5 and am happy with it but would like to get something new. Ideally it would be great to get another android OS phone but the more and more I look at stores and on the web everything is going iphone.

    So here is where I need your help, if you have a current android OS phone (ie S7, LGV20, etc.) what do you like about it, what don't you like.

    If you have an iphone, what is the reason I should jump ship and get one?

    I realize im going to get some odd responses but that's typical for us.

    Well type away and let me know what phone you have and why.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    I got my first smartphone only 2 years ago, and went with the iPhone (5s). I only chose the iPhone because I was sorta familiar with it from playing with my wife's iPhones over the years and had little desire to learn anything else. I'm not tech-y and didn't need anything fancy. I've never really liked iTunes though.

    Edit, Another thing I like about my iPhone, is that since >90% of my friends also have iPhones, I save $20 a month by not having a text message plan, since iPhone-to-iPhone iMessages are free. The downside is occasionally I don't get texts from people that don't know I don't get texts.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MattR302; 11-29-16 at 12:59 PM.
    -Matt

  3. #3
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,401

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    I'm still an S5 user and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. We are long into the area of diminishing returns in regards to processing power of the phone and the S5 is way more than adequate to do everything I need in a timely manner. The camera, while not top of the line anymore, is still very good and not a limitation for me. The S5 is also the last of the Galaxy line to have both expandable memory and a replaceable battery. The S6 has neither and the S7 added back microSD cards. Due to where I end up travelling for work, the ability to use an oversize battery or replace it in seconds helps me quite a bit. For me, I'm quite content sticking with this phone until something similar pops up. I also don't have any problem buying and using a second hand phone. I got my S5 a couple of years ago for $125 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than even a refurbished one at the time. A year ago my wife bought a used S6 for even less.

    I'm not super familiar with other phones on the market but keep in mind if you change brands within the Android universe, you can end up with different user interfaces. Samsung has TouchWiz, Sony has Xperia UI, HTC has Sense, LG has LG UX, and Google uses stock Android. If you have become accustomed to TouchWiz, you may not like how other UIs work despite them running on otherwise excellent hardware. iPhones have a fairly unified interface across all their phones. Another reason why I like the Galaxy phones is the buttons don't take up any screen real estate so you can keep more content visible at any given time.

    I've never been fond of the Apple infrastructure and I like the variety of products available to me in the Android world which is why I stay here.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 11-29-16 at 12:31 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  4. #4
    Senior Member Viper897's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seacoast Maine
    Posts
    368

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    This is kind of what I have been thinking but figured I would see what the rest of the world (NESR community) thought.

    The other thing that I know of from family members having iphones is that things that are easy and changeable on the android OS (ringtones, backgrounds, etc) are things that must be paid for on the iphone. So that fancy custom ringtone you made, at least last I knew, had to be paid for on an iphone to have even if you didn't elsewhere.

    But maybe Im missing something. Regardless thanks for taking the time to respond.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I'm still an S5 user and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. We are long into the area of diminishing returns in regards to processing power of the phone and the S5 is way more than adequate to do everything I need in a timely manner. The camera, while not top of the line anymore, is still very good and not a limitation for me. The S5 is also the last of the Galaxy line to have both expandable memory and a replaceable battery. The S6 has neither and the S7 added back microSD cards. Due to where I end up travelling for work, the ability to use an oversize battery or replace it in seconds helps me quite a bit. For me, I'm quite content sticking with this phone until something similar pops up. I also don't have any problem buying and using a second hand phone. I got my S5 a couple of years ago for $125 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than even a refurbished one at the time. A year ago my wife bought a used S6 for even less.

    I'm not super familiar with other phones on the market but keep in mind if you change brands within the Android universe, you can end up with different user interfaces. Samsung has TouchWiz, Sony has Xperia UI, HTC has Sense, LG has LG UX, and Google uses stock Android. If you have become accustomed to TouchWiz, you may not like how other UIs work despite them running on otherwise excellent hardware. iPhones have a fairly unified interface across all their phones. Another reason why I like the Galaxy phones is the buttons don't take up any screen real estate so you can keep more content visible at any given time.

    I've never been fond of the Apple infrastructure and I like the variety of products available to me in the Android world which is why I stay here.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,412

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    I hate the cult of apple - and I own an iphone. I'm going to replace it soon, probably with a newer iphone. If you like to tinker, Android is the way to go. This is the major reason computer nerds like Android. There's two major advantages of the iPhone. It works very well, and is arguably more secure. Apple's strong arm control of their platform and the software on it basically means they have an easier time developing and testing. This results in less bugs and improved security. If you jail break it, that will nullify these points.

    A big draw back to the iPhone is that you're more or less tied to iTunes to manage/administer the phone. iTunes is an infuriating rage-inducing experience. You can get pictures off it without iTunes, and there are some third party applications to do other things, but really anything else is best done from within. Lack of SD card storage expansion is a big negative for some users, though I suspect many don't care.

    After that, I see the rest as minor pros/cons that are more applicable to the individual. Maybe the Android phone you're looking at has a better screen size, better camera, or user replaceable battery. But the priority of these features varies quite a bit person to person. Given that you've been a long time(?) Android user, I suspect your initial month-in experience with an iphone might be annoyance at the walled garden and lack of customization. You might want to find someone's older model or an iTouch to play with for a bit. Oh, and if you're an apple person with all appple products, there is an advantage in the uniformity.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  6. #6
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    12,524

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Android...... just for the flexibility aspect. The USB cable I use for charging my phone is easily used for numerous other devices for both charging and transferring files.

    I can take my music files and simply put them on my phone (or other Android-based devices). No need to convert files through iTunes just to be able to play them.



    You stated "everything is going iPhone" however if you look at the progression of Apple user interfaces over the years, you'll notice it has become strikingly similar to Android....that's because Android simply works.

    Apple is spending a lot of money to become a niche product because they need to in order to stay competitive with everyone else.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Back marker... jwm2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    5,272

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Android, all day, everyday.


    Had an iphone for 29 days. My return policy was a 30 day policy. I have no need to try iphone ever again.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Johnny

    Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

  8. #8
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,412

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I can take my music files and simply put them on my phone (or other Android-based devices). No need to convert files through iTunes just to be able to play them.

    You stated "everything is going iPhone" however if you look at the progression of Apple user interfaces over the years, you'll notice it has become strikingly similar to Android....that's because Android simply works.
    I don't think there's any need to convert files through iTunes. You add them to the iTunes library by drag-n-drop, select a folder, or an automated computer scan. The way any music application works. Then select which you want on the device. IIRC, a long time ago iTunes would 'help' you by converting all the MP3 to AAC. I'm pretty sure they stopped doing that.

    Lack of USB-C is obnoxious. The lightning connector is a great connector, and much better than the previous one, but it'd be nice if it was universal. Not sure I'd agree that it has trended towards the Android interface. Pretty opinionated issue though.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  9. #9
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,952

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    I don't really understand the "everything is going iPhone" remark. Android has been steamrolling the mobile OS market with no signs of stopping.

    Anyways, my recommendation is to stop subsidizing high end phones altogether. Buy an unlocked Moto G4 up front for $200, switch to Cricket and pay $35/mo, save yourself a boat load of cash and don't worry about crappy UI implentations (TouchWiz et al...Motorola phones use 95% vanilla Android). It's a fantastic phone for a fantastic price, and its one of the few that still have an SD slot.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  10. #10
    Senior Member Viper897's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seacoast Maine
    Posts
    368

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    I guess I should have put some other info out there about the plan Im on. Some will say to cut the cord but I am still on my parents family plan (mom, dad, me, sibling, and sibling's fiancÚ) saves a load of money and cricket would save me pennies to go there. If I had my own plan I would totally go that way.

    As for the everything going Iphone comment, if I go into best buy, walmart, etc. I can easily pick up any iphone accessory known to mankind. For almost any iphone back to the iphone 5. If I want galaxy accessories, or even some of the other android phones I have to go to Verizon or other providers to get them.

    Even case manufatucres are going strictly iphone ipad. For example, Element case who makes my S5 case when the iphone 7 came out cut all ties to other products and only makes iphone cases now.

    This might just be my slightly one sided view of the market but just trying to do some research and polling people before I might get a new phone

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,952

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    What do you need for accessories?

    And I don't know what the hell you're talking about with the cases, there are hundreds of different branded cases on Amazon for nearly any phone.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  12. #12
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    68
    Posts
    14,071

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    I like my Comdial

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  13. #13
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,412

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper897 View Post
    As for the everything going Iphone comment, if I go into best buy, walmart, etc. I can easily pick up any iphone accessory known to mankind. For almost any iphone back to the iphone 5. If I want galaxy accessories, or even some of the other android phones I have to go to Verizon or other providers to get them.

    Even case manufatucres are going strictly iphone ipad. For example, Element case who makes my S5 case when the iphone 7 came out cut all ties to other products and only makes iphone cases now.
    You'll get the same Apple accessory availability if you stay with one of the major Android phones. Like the Galaxy. I think anywhere you find iPhone accessories, you'll find Galaxy ones too, obviously ignoring the Apple store. I don't think there's any reason to believe that top-tier Android phones are going to have a shortage. I'd view Element's decision as an isolated business decision, not a trend. Perhaps more companies will specialize, but you'll always have options.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  14. #14
    Senior Member Viper897's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seacoast Maine
    Posts
    368

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Im not sure on them being an isolated case. But anyways, thread kind of took a turn towards accessories.

    Back to phone to phone comparisons.

    At least it was me as the thread starter that went off topic. Not that it helps.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    12,524

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I don't think there's any need to convert files through iTunes.
    Maybe things have changed more recently but I cannot, for example, rip a music CD and place the files onto the one iPod that is in my household. It must be converted through iTunes software before it works on said Apple device....and of course doing it with an Apple USB cable is necessary.

    No Andorid-based device I have owned to date has this issue.....even my rooted Kindle.

    As far as Apple's trend toward an Android-type interface, that is not an opinion. It can be easily noticed if you have "vintage" Apple products in front of you and compare them to current Apple products.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #16
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,455

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    I hate my iphone 5c SO bad, Ill end up throwing it at a wall someday

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,412

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Maybe things have changed more recently but I cannot, for example, rip a music CD and place the files onto the one iPod that is in my household. It must be converted through iTunes software before it works on said Apple device....and of course doing it with an Apple USB cable is necessary.
    If you're ripping to MP3, then I don't see why it would have to be converted, as I think all Apple products since the beginning played MP3. I believe a long time ago, iTunes would by default, convert all MP3 added to their library in to AAC. It required unchecking a default-enabled check box in their settings. But I don't think that's been an issue for like ten years. Either way, probably not worth figuring out unless OP wants to put his CD collection on his device. I think most people are getting away from that and using Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, or Amazon Prime music today.
    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I hate my iphone 5c SO bad, Ill end up throwing it at a wall someday
    For every one of you, there's a person who swears their Galaxy is shit. It's the new PC vs Mac. I have no idea what your own circumstances are, but in my experience, it's often a problem of a non-computer person having complex computer related difficulties. The non-computer person isn't to blame, but these are very complex devices that we all wish worked perfectly with no additional effort or knowledge. Not unlike a car or motorcycle.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  18. #18
    Lifer Tekime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Falmouth, ME
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,336

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    I currently use a Galaxy S5 and iPhone 6 every day. I vastly prefer the iPhone, and this is coming from a programmer/developer. My desire to mod my phone is much lower than my desire to have something that works smoothly and doesn't look like it's from 1994. The latest iOS updates and the new iPhone haven't been very impressive, but I still prefer it over my S5.

    If you have a lot of music you want to load on the phone, or other media and don't want to be ruled by the iron first of Apple, the Android is the way to go. I use Apple Music and get full access to all the music on iTunes and perfectly happy with that. Can use a separate device for playing my MP3's or whatever.

    It's really a matter of preference. A few friends loathe Apple and therefore refuse to even try an iPhone. Go to your provider, play with some of the phones, and see what feels good to you.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

  19. #19
    ....................... PinHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Walpole
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,157

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Ordered a Google Pixel the other day after messing with one at the Verizon store. Being a Google phone it doesn't come with all of the crap apps that you will never use pre installed from all of the other brands that use Android because Google is Android. I can't even stand my damn ipod touch nevermind an iphone.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

  20. #20
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,952

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    For every one of you, there's a person who swears their Galaxy is shit. It's the new PC vs Mac. I have no idea what your own circumstances are, but in my experience, it's often a problem of a non-computer person having complex computer related difficulties. The non-computer person isn't to blame, but these are very complex devices that we all wish worked perfectly with no additional effort or knowledge. Not unlike a car or motorcycle.
    Galaxy's are shit, but I still love Android.

    The biggest problem with iDevices is the lack of a visible file system, which means you can't even download an attachment from an email on to the phone and use the file in some way, or download an MP3 and add it to the library already on the phone, or set it as a ringtone. Having to use iTunes for everything related to file manipulation is just plain silly in 2016.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  21. #21
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,952

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Ordered a Google Pixel the other day after messing with one at the Verizon store. Being a Google phone it doesn't come with all of the crap apps that you will never use pre installed from all of the other brands that use Android because Google is Android. I can't even stand my damn ipod touch nevermind an iphone.
    The Moto E/G/Z don't come with crapware either, and they're massively cheaper than the Pixel line.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  22. #22
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,941

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    I have a google phone and google service and one thing to note is that the chargers are no longer the same USB that android used to be. The new charging port is wider and is symmetrical. It charges much faster than the old port though.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  23. #23
    Lifer jasnmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chichester, NH
    Posts
    4,398

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    USB C.

    Different than the old one, but not proprietary.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,941

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    USB C.

    Different than the old one, but not proprietary.
    Just wanted him to know that it won't share a charger with other USB devices. Threw me for a loop when I got it in the mail haha. Google was nice enough to include 2 chargers with the phone though.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  25. #25
    Lifer jasnmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chichester, NH
    Posts
    4,398

    Re: iphone vs android phone

    Fair. There are plenty of adapters for the time being, but being aware is important.

    USB C is the new standard and more devices will be going to it over time.
    (and I won't plug it in upside down 80% of the time).

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •