Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

iphone vs android phone

Lifer

Re: iphone vs android phone

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Galaxy's are shit, but I still love Android.

The biggest problem with iDevices is the lack of a visible file system, which means you can't even download an attachment from an email on to the phone and use the file in some way, or download an MP3 and add it to the library already on the phone, or set it as a ringtone. Having to use iTunes for everything related to file manipulation is just plain silly in 2016.
    It's a big drawback, but I'm not sure it affects many people. I've never found it to be a limitation. Do people really email you MP3's often? Though I thought you would be able to add an MP3 from Email to the Music library so I just checked - and it can't. It's weird because I could add it to my Notes, Google Drive app, Cloud, but Music was not listed. Notes, but not Music? WTF? Maybe I haven't set something up correctly. Orrrr maybe if I had uploaded it to my Cloud, it would then be exposed to my Music library. In many cases, the options are there. Though I don't know why this one isn't. I can't think of a time I couldn't find an option I wanted until now. I haven't installed iOS 10 yet either so maybe it's be changed but I doubt it.

That said, I would reject my own argument when it comes to a desktop computer. I'm a computer person who wants full access and full control. For a portable computer though? Meh. The only time I ever remember wanting to do this was back when these things first came out and I think changed the paradigm. I'm browsing around going 'where's the C drive at?', failing to see that I really didn't need it.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Fair. There are plenty of adapters for the time being, but being aware is important.

USB C is the new standard and more devices will be going to it over time.
    (and I won't plug it in upside down 80% of the time).
    Including the new Apple laptops. Even they are going away from proprietary connectors.

I'm on my 3rd Galaxy, the S7 currently, before those was a Moto. Definitely an Android fan here. I love them and don't think I could ever go to Apple. Apple products to me are too locked down, they want you to use it how they tell you to use it, and that makes some things quite difficult IMO, like file transfers and such mentioned above.

Then there's the massive premium for higher storage tiers with no SD card option, hugely limiting. I carry around ~60GB of just music, mostly lossless. Good luck with that on an affordable IPhone. I don't stream because it eats up tons of data, and I listen all day every day at work with no good wifi.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Eric Baker; 11-29-16 at 07:01 PM.

Not really and Android fan but I've had the S4 and S7 and the S7 has been a great phone so far. Battery life is much improved over the old ones and it charges 0 to full in like 20-30 min.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / Mad Scientist Moto / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD Computrack Boston / Knox / Moto Pizza
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2007 Kawasaki EX650

This is an interesting point.

Well keep the info coming people. Ill probably be heading to one of the local cell phone places in a few evenings to test out some new phones to see if I can even tolerate them.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    I currently use a Galaxy S5 and iPhone 6 every day. I vastly prefer the iPhone, and this is coming from a programmer/developer. My desire to mod my phone is much lower than my desire to have something that works smoothly and doesn't look like it's from 1994. The latest iOS updates and the new iPhone haven't been very impressive, but I still prefer it over my S5.

If you have a lot of music you want to load on the phone, or other media and don't want to be ruled by the iron first of Apple, the Android is the way to go. I use Apple Music and get full access to all the music on iTunes and perfectly happy with that. Can use a separate device for playing my MP3's or whatever.

It's really a matter of preference. A few friends loathe Apple and therefore refuse to even try an iPhone. Go to your provider, play with some of the phones, and see what feels good to you.

1 Not allowed!

My position on phones and phone os'es is that I simply don't give a shit.

iOS does everything I need and then some. Apps I desire are available and almost universally free. The phone just about always just works. Hardware is exceptionally high quality and well thought out.

I found android quirky and less consistent. Had some apps crash and lack stability I see on iOS. Wasn't as impressed with the base apps on the android and I positively hated the fucking carrier implied software (adware!) and os upgrade restrictions. Never had this issue with iOS devices.

But the killer was the hardware. Apple iPhones are just nicer, better built devices, as a whole. I had a flagship Samsung phone that was a plastic POS. Ate batteries. And became obsolete 6 mo after I bought it. Much of the OS and software stability problems I ran into were because my phone was no longer state of the art; everything was built for that new state of the art and my 6 month old POS was too slow, didn't have enough memory or lacked some "required" feature. Response from android fans was that I need to jailbreak or hack or side load or whatever the fuck some new, experimental software every damned day. "Oh, no, not that version. That's the old version! Nobody uses that. LOL. Didn't you get the super secret bat signal. You now need to remember this convoluted process to side-step the carrier bullshit to reflash the blah blah blah."

Fuck that. The iOS bits just work. Done. I'll spend my time fucking with motorcycles, thanks.

I hear complaints regarding the closed system, requirements that one use itunes or whatever. I don't use itunes. I can't remember the last time I sync'ed the phone to a PC. Everything is done through the cloud. In fact most of the sync'ed data tools I use are google; gmail, music.google, photos.google, google maps. All work effortlessly.

Amazon sells cheap cables and adapters. The new, proprietary data/power plug thing is dumb, but it actually works well and is resilient to damage. I had problems with the micro USB jack on the Samsung. When traveling you'll find lots of people with iPhones that have an extra cable or whatever handy. It really isn't a problem.

Accessories are ubiquitous. Everyone supports ios, the iphone form factor. Everyone.

I hear the new no headphone jack is annoying. I don't know anything about that as my phone has a headphone jack. Will bother to form an opinion on this in 2-3 years when I go to upgrade.

I dunno. iPhone/iOS just works for me. YMMV.

2 Not allowed!

iPhone 6S (not 7).
    Better price for the same phone plus you have the headphone jack.
    Insanely simple and easy to use.
    Endless communication between Apple devices (music, AirPlay, download apps in multiple devices).
    By far the best back up and restore system (both iCloud and iTunes back up are amazing).
    The ability to destroy your phone walk into any Apple Store and get it fixed/replaced very quick.
    Endless support.
    Endless accessories and cool gadgets.
    Yeah it's also a fanboy device that everyone always gets and 99% of people don't utilize it for shit but I could care less what others do with their phones.
    Also Apple has proven record of fixing issues when a device is deemed defective (Samsung clearly does not).
    I honestly don't understand why other phones even exist any more other than price.
    5+ years with att and majority of all cell phone sales were iPhones.
    You almost never see an iPhone user switch to android. You see a lot of android users sick of the lame devices and switching to Apple.
    Just my 2cents and fully personal opinion.

0 Not allowed!

Samsung not fixing their phones is a Samsung issue, not an Android OS issue.

Outside of that, I've always gone with a Motorola-built phones and not had an issue.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Also Apple has proven record of fixing issues when a device is deemed defective (Samsung clearly does not).
    Actually, they just blame the customer for holding it wrong.

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Actually, they just blame the customer for holding it wrong.
    I get the joke, but for the record they didn't exactly say that. They officially said "avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band". Interestingly, that was either removed or never put up on Apple.com but is from BBC. I thought this issue was wildly blown out of proportion probably as the result of the usual knee jerk reactions that occur during peak fandom. And I think we see that today since I don't think there's a perception that you wouldn't want to buy an iPhone 4 because of that problem. And they still came up with a fix afterwards.

It's akin to Al Gore saying he invented the internet. Or that guy who said the internet is a series of tubes. That's not really how it went down at all. The jokes were funny at first, but they accidentally rewrote the history.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

You're honestly better off just holding your nose and jumping in. Everyone's experience will be different. For each person saying they had an awful time with Android, there's someone saying they've had no problems. And vise versa for iOS.

Also I'm someone who went from iPhone to Android (and liked it), so yes it does happen. I think both OSs are great and serve their purpose. I pretty much did what I'm suggesting you do. Keep buying and returning stuff until you find something you like. I think most carriers give you 30 days.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / Mad Scientist Moto / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD Computrack Boston / Knox / Moto Pizza
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2007 Kawasaki EX650

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I get the joke, but for the record they didn't exactly say that.
    I know that but they did instruct people to avoid holding it like a normal phone so the whole "you're holding it wrong" sentiment is definitely there in spirit. There was nothing Apple could do to fix the root cause so the case they gave everyone was a stopgap at best. The 4s fixed the problem with proper dual antennas. What didn't help the problem is that there was no alternative to the iPhone 4 if you wanted to stay in the iOS market.

I don't fault Apple too much for the antenna mistake because bad decisions like that happen all the time in industry. I fault them because of the way they handled it.

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I just got an iPhone about a month ago, a so called upgrade from an htc windows phone. Not sure what the rant and rave is about...I thought the htc sucked, the iPhone sucks more.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I know that but they did instruct people to avoid holding it like a normal phone so the whole "you're holding it wrong" sentiment is definitely there in spirit. There was nothing Apple could do to fix the root cause so the case they gave everyone was a stopgap at best. The 4s fixed the problem with proper dual antennas. What didn't help the problem is that there was no alternative to the iPhone 4 if you wanted to stay in the iOS market.

I don't fault Apple too much for the antenna mistake because bad decisions like that happen all the time in industry. I fault them because of the way they handled it.
    Kinda like how they handled the removal of the headphone jack? The word "courageous" has never been used in a more laughable way. Jobs strangely always had a way of justifying the hubris, but Tim Cook simply doesn't have that ability.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Today's topic: Apple calandar spamming

1 Not allowed!

As a technotard I can operate an iPhone. I have no fucking clue what to do with an android. I can't even take a photo with any of them without remedial instruction first.
    So if you're dumb like me, the apple product is probably a better option; even I find it pretty intuitive.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

They both have their pros and cons. I switch between the two platforms every couple of years.

Right now I'm thinking of going with the Pixel.

iPhone Pros
    Everyone makes accessories for it. Since the form factor is locked in, it's easy for all kinds of companies to make things for it.
    It's easy to use. It's really intuitive to perform the basic functions.
    For the most part, the app store is more regulated and slightly more secure
    iPhone Cons
    Use it the way they want you to because making it work differently is difficult
    iTunes. I absolutely hate iTunes.
    Lightning adapter. Some cheap cables work and some don't

Android Pros
    Lots of choices
    Customize to your hearts content
    Easily transfer files
    Common connector
    Android Cons
    Sometimes the best phone is from a company that sells less products. That means potentially less support and less accessories.
    Market Fragmentation
    Play Store is ok, but doesn't seem as nice as the apple app store.
    Due to the more open platform, some apps can get access to things you don't want them to. (same for apple, but slightly more concealed with android)

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Want to buy some Ray Bans?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    iOS on 4 devices used daily here. Had to google it. Didn't even know it was a thing. Not had this issue happen to me once yet.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Kinda like how they handled the removal of the headphone jack? The word "courageous" has never been used in a more laughable way. Jobs strangely always had a way of justifying the hubris, but Tim Cook simply doesn't have that ability.
    I just bought a pair of bluetooth headphones, and while they're not audiophile quality, they're better than I was expecting. Point being the future is cordless. For those who want a cord, especially those with high end headphones, it might be a deciding factor. But they can still get an adapter. For regular use that sucks, but works for occasional use. I'm not sure it's the totally ridiculous move that some people want to believe it is. And I use corded headphones on his iPhone every day, and likely will continue to.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    iOS on 4 devices used daily here. Had to google it. Didn't even know it was a thing. Not had this issue happen to me once yet.
    Same - haven't experienced it, and had to look it up. I guess I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet though.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

I started getting ical spam a couple of weeks ago... got some more over Thanksgiving so I had to look up how to block it.

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I just bought a pair of bluetooth headphones, and while they're not audiophile quality, they're better than I was expecting. Point being the future is cordless. For those who want a cord, especially those with high end headphones, it might be a deciding factor. But they can still get an adapter. For regular use that sucks, but works for occasional use. I'm not sure it's the totally ridiculous move that some people want to believe it is. And I use corded headphones on his iPhone every day, and likely will continue to.
    I wasn't referring to the removal of the headphone jack itself, I was referring to how they handled it when consumers called them out on it.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

I use iPhones because I like how the Apple hardware works together. I also use a MacBook Pro and iPad because synching is fairly seamless.

That said, I have an iPhone 6, 4.7" (not a plus or the S model) and am still happy with it, even after 2 solid years of use. I do not like Apple's elimination of the headphone jack (but I rarely use it anyway). I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon, because as other have stated, my current phone runs the current iOS nicely and does what I need it to do.

In terms of the OSs, it's like OS X vs Windows. I like both for certain reasons, but prefer the OS X OS.

If I were in dire need of a phone today, I would definitely consider the Google Pixel.

0 Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Lifer

I'm using a nexus 6P .. which is plain awesome. I miss a lot of samsung stuff (had the galaxy versions.. and NOTE versions).. but the 6P really holds it own. I got frustrated at the prices of the other phones.. so when the kids threw the phone into the wash.. $400 for a new phone surely beat out paying another $800... so I got one for myself and the wife.

I have a lot of apple stuff as well, and use it at work myself, but... I hate it. Now the hardware is not bad, the ios itself is not horrible.. but as mentioned, the itunes type ninja grip it has on everything is very annoying. Customer service, apple care, apple store appointments.. I must have bad mojo because it has always been a bad experience.

So here's the thing, if.. and I'm surely saying *IF* everything works perfectly on your apple phone, then almost everything is peaches and cream. If something screws up, you're in for a ride trying to figure out how to fix it. For example, we use outlook enterprise for work, and every freaking time they make you change the password I get a slew of people coming by my office because the instructions on how to update your password doesn't work. It's a frigging maze how to get everything correct, when you should technically only have to "change the password". I'm not the IT department... and even the IT guys have troubles with people mobbing them for similar help.

Here's another thing: my parents had a problem with when their 5c died because of the ios update. Of course apple is not taking responsibility, so I got the shaft and bought my parents another phone. Now all of a sudden the "owner" is me... so two calls to the apple support later, we figured out that somehow since I bought the phone with my credit card that's why I'm the owner of the phone, and we just have to change the credit card number and it'll fix it. Of course new problem.. they are from Canada, and we're in the USA, so changing the card and region don't jive. Or.... one of my co-workers gets texts from/for her husband and vice versa..

There are so many hidden and obscure places and settings in the iphone/ios that if they get screwed up it's a total pain.

There are plenty of crappy android phones, and some that you overload with stuff.. but in the end the android stuff to me is still more straight forward. I say to the apple users.. ignorance is bliss. If you never knew you could/cannot do it, then you're fine. When you start asking why other phones have widgets and clocks and calculators on the screen, but you can't.. that's when you start wondering what is/could be better.

But if you don't care, don't want to.. want to check facebook and email.. you're good to go with apple and you'll never have problems, until something borks it up and you have to make an appointment at the "genius bar" and wait hours to get help.

0 Not allowed!

This is all good info.

Im leaning back towards the android OS phones. Probably a Galaxy S7 (not the edge, cant stand the edge screen).

A lot of you brought up so things that I haven't read into yet and will do a bit more looking before I finally get the new phone.

I will say that the only apple product that I have now is an ipod classic and its on its last legs. After it dies I will be getting a more audiophile like mp3 player because, well, apple ditched the high capacity stuff. Did like the ipod, but as I can see the general consensus is that iTunes sucks major...well you get the picture.

So if you still have thoughts on why you like an iphone, or android os phone, Im still interested in hearing about it cause it can only help the decision making process.

Anyways, Ill be sure to post up once I do make the choice on what phone I go with, but I would say for now Im leaning back to the android os devices. Too much big brother with apple.

Last thing, I am a PC setup household (laptop, desktop, etc.) so the everything jiving together although nice I would have to switch everything to apple. Maybe in the future, but not at the moment. And I think I have most of my stuff on lockdown anyways when it comes to the network so others on it can't see my stuff.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Viper897; 12-02-16 at 05:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12