Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 20 of 20

ISP that doesn't suck ?

  1. #1
    100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Alton Bay, NH
    Posts
    1,422

    ISP that doesn't suck ?


    When will someone offer internet service that doesn't suck?
    I've been with Atlantic Broadband (Metrocast) for 10+ years. Paying $80 a month for just internet. They claim it is "high speed" with 50MB bandwidth, but the best I can get using a wired connection is 5MB Up and Down. That's on a good day. After months of complaining, they sent me a "new" cable modem yesterday because they realized my old one was obsolete. The new one is over 5 years old and used. I tried to connect and the password didn't work. So I finally got into the setup of the modem and found that the SSID password was "Tony77" instead of the random numbers and letters on the label on the modem. So I have to assume it is a modem that used to belong to Tony and he returned it to Atlantic because he hated their service too. With the new modem I did go from 1MB to 5MB upload using their own speed test. But still far below what I am paying for. Their customer service is horrible, they really could care less.
    But I guess this is the price I pay for not living in a city that has fiber available.
    Does anyone use TDS for internet? Any good/bad experience?
    Ok, I'm done ranting.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,857

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    I have TDS, but we're fiber optic. I'm surprised you're not. We have the 300/300mbps plan. At any given time we'll have at least one streaming TV service (sometimes two - we no longer have "cable"), two devices, and a computer all sharing. Very rarely a problem. Again though, that's their fiber optic package.

    Truth be told though, we weren't UNhappy with their broadband before they upgraded.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  3. #3
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,058

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    This depends strongly on what's available in your area. Many customers have exactly one cable internet option, and often FIOS isn't available as an alternative.

    Is the modem an 'all in one' device, with wireless and ~4-5 wired connections on it? Or is the modem a seperate device that plugs in to a router/switch/wifi? Are you performing the speed tests on a wired connection? To confirm for sure that the ISP is the problem (or maybe a cable outside your home), connect directly to the modem. Take a sample at a non-peak hour. In a perfect world, 3-5am is probably ideal but that isn't practical for most people.

    Have the model # on the modem handy?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

  4. #4
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    20,225

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    The 50Mbps you are paying for is download speed. I'd test that again.

    Upload will be limited to 5Mbps or so on most cable ISP's.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  5. #5
    100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Alton Bay, NH
    Posts
    1,422

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    Thanks for the info on TDS. I'll have to look into that some more.

    I used to have a dedicated cable modem from Metrocast (now Atlantic Broadband) and my own separate wireless router (very modern Cisco unit) but the latest modem they gave me last night was a combo unit. Has both wired and wireless in one unit. Brand is Pace. Model is D5001 I am pretty sure. (I am at work, not home right now). I even tried connecting my personal cisco wireless router to their new modem to see if "my" wireless is better than their wireless hardware. No noticeable difference.

    I used their speed test from the Atlantic web site. The best I can get up or down is about 5MB. That is wired or wireless. It's a bit faster with wired but not much. I tried on three fairly modern laptops. Two Windows10 and one Windows7.

    I'll try it some time on off peak hours. I am occasionally up at weird hours for work issues.

    It would be interesting to connect the modem to the line outside my house, to see if there is some issue with the cable in the house. But I don't think there is a junction outside. The house is fairly modern, around 10 years old. It's modern cabling in the house.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,058

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    The 50Mbps you are paying for is download speed. I'd test that again.

    Upload will be limited to 5Mbps or so on most cable ISP's.
    Re-read. He's got a 50mbps plan that he's seeing 5/1 on, but recently saw 5/5. But I think your underlying point is still valid that download speed is far more important for the home user unless they do a lot of streaming or high resolution video uploads.
    Quote Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
    Thanks for the info on TDS. I'll have to look into that some more.

    I used to have a dedicated cable modem from Metrocast (now Atlantic Broadband) and my own separate wireless router (very modern Cisco unit) but the latest modem they gave me last night was a combo unit. Has both wired and wireless in one unit. Brand is Pace. Model is D5001 I am pretty sure. (I am at work, not home right now). I even tried connecting my personal cisco wireless router to their new modem to see if "my" wireless is better than their wireless hardware. No noticeable difference.

    I used their speed test from the Atlantic web site. The best I can get up or down is about 5MB. That is wired or wireless. It's a bit faster with wired but not much. I tried on three fairly modern laptops. Two Windows10 and one Windows7.

    I'll try it some time on off peak hours. I am occasionally up at weird hours for work issues.

    It would be interesting to connect the modem to the line outside my house, to see if there is some issue with the cable in the house. But I don't think there is a junction outside. The house is fairly modern, around 10 years old. It's modern cabling in the house.
    If you can get somewhere close to 50mbps wired non-peak, that at least proves everything on your end is working properly. You've got the right idea with trying to eliminate as much of your coax as possible too - just for testing.

    Google has their own speed test (just google 'speed test'). It's easy to get to, and I might compare results against the ISP's test. Although I'd probably still reference the ISP's own test when dealing with customer support.

    Also, watch out for the acronyms/abbreviations. When you say '5MB', technical people read '5 megabytes' but most ISP speeds are in mbps or 'megabit per second'. Yes, it's confusing and messes people up all the time, even those who know about the difference. 8 bits per byte, meaning 50mbps is actually 6.25MB/sec.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

  7. #7
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,922

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    Try a speed test from another provider, like speedtest.net or fast.com. On speedtest.net select a well-known ISP endpoint, like Comcast. I've found that some peers are just really slow.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

  8. #8
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,537

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    TDS here too, used to have Metrocast, they were first with fiber on my street, land line phone was on TDS copper, when TDS put fiber up my way, I switched to TDS, nice to have a choice of 2 different companies with fiber on my street, not many people have more than one fiber option

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  9. #9
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,729

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    The 50Mbps you are paying for is download speed. I'd test that again.

    Upload will be limited to 5Mbps or so on most cable ISP's.
    Damn you were pretty spot on here. Hadn't checked in a long time. Charter with 57.4 down and 5.01 up with 25ms lat.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  10. #10
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,537

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    I just got 9.4mbps down, and 16.1 up, from wi-fi connection, will my hard wired computer be faster ?

    I pay for commercial, not residential, upload speed is suppose to be = to download speed

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    368

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    While not adding anything useful to the conversation I suspect most people believe their contract guarantees "XX MB/sec" when the language in the contract actually says "Up to XX MB/sec". No guaranty that you'll ever see those speeds.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,775

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    I pay for 200/20, I can pull 300/25 at times. Spectrum cable.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

  13. #13
    100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Alton Bay, NH
    Posts
    1,422

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I pay for 200/20, I can pull 300/25 at times. Spectrum cable.
    Thanks for cheering me up...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    20,225

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    Re-read.

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Re-read. He's got a 50mbps plan that he's seeing 5/1 on, but recently saw 5/5. But I think your underlying point is still valid that download speed is far more important for the home user unless they do a lot of streaming or high resolution video uploads.
    Quote Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
    With the new modem I did go from 1MB to 5MB upload using their own speed test. But still far below what I am paying for.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  15. #15
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,775

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    If you're consitently not getting close to what you're paying for, and are not getting any resolution via Metrocast's support, file an FCC complaint. I've done it twice with TWC/Spectrum when they let my local node get oversubscribed with no plans to improve.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

  16. #16
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,537

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I just got 9.4mbps down, and 16.1 up, from wi-fi connection, will my hard wired computer be faster ?

    I pay for commercial, not residential, upload speed is suppose to be = to download speed

    the above test was from my laptop via wireless

    from my hardwired desktop, I'm getting 31.9 down, and 27.3 up

    I believe I pay for 50 down, 50 up

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 05-21-20 at 10:11 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  17. #17
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,857

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    the above test was from my laptop via wireless

    from my hardwired desktop, I'm getting 31.9 down, and 27.3 up

    I believe I pay for 50 down, 50 up
    *up to...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  18. #18
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,058

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Re-read.
    Quote Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
    They claim it is "high speed" with 50MB bandwidth, but the best I can get using a wired connection is 5MB Up and Down. That's on a good day.

    With the new modem I did go from 1MB to 5MB upload using their own speed test.
    5 up and down. Maybe we're talking past each other here. Either way, hopefully OP got something out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    While not adding anything useful to the conversation I suspect most people believe their contract guarantees "XX MB/sec" when the language in the contract actually says "Up to XX MB/sec". No guaranty that you'll ever see those speeds.
    I thought you had to at least theoretically be able to see the max at some point. Even if that's only at 3am on a Sunday night. But wouldn't surprise me if that's not how it plays out in the real world. It's definitely true that on a cable ISP, you may not see the max speeds at peak usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    the above test was from my laptop via wireless

    from my hardwired desktop, I'm getting 31.9 down, and 27.3 up

    I believe I pay for 50 down, 50 up
    If that's fiber, I'd think you should be able to get pretty close to 50mbps then. It's possible for the computer or cable to be a limiting factor, but seems unlikely to be the problem at 30mbps trying to get to 50. To answer your previous question, it's almost always faster wired. Consumer wireless technologies typically aren't as fast, even in a perfect configuration. But in practice, many wifi speeds are lower than they could be due to interference or radio-wave blockage. At 10mbps down on wifi, you've probably got room for improvement. Check what your wifi supports, like 802.11g means best-case maximum of 54mbps. If it's the very old 802.11b, that would explain it and you're actually running up against the maximum. Nothing wrong with 802.11b if it's meeting your needs, but you'll probably want to upgrade soon.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

  19. #19
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,537

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    If that's fiber, I'd think you should be able to get pretty close to 50mbps then. It's possible for the computer or cable to be a limiting factor, but seems unlikely to be the problem at 30mbps trying to get to 50. To answer your previous question, it's almost always faster wired. Consumer wireless technologies typically aren't as fast, even in a perfect configuration. But in practice, many wifi speeds are lower than they could be due to interference or radio-wave blockage. At 10mbps down on wifi, you've probably got room for improvement. Check what your wifi supports, like 802.11g means best-case maximum of 54mbps. If it's the very old 802.11b, that would explain it and you're actually running up against the maximum. Nothing wrong with 802.11b if it's meeting your needs, but you'll probably want to upgrade soon.
    I just turned off my streaming radio, got 73.1 down, 29.9 up, I don't know what Anne has streaming from wireless in the house.....

    my modem and router are probably old, I have 2 devices that throw a wireless signal, the modem, supplied by TDS, and the router I bought, my house is about 100 feet away from the wireless, at the limits of range, usually I connect to my router, but during inclement weather the signal is week, sometimes the TDS modem throws a better signal, but usually we are streaming 2 devices in the house, while browsing on 2 more

    yes, my router is old, maybe 10 years, TDS modem is newer, when I switched from Metrocast, to TDS, has it been 5 years ?

    my plan at some point this summer, is to run a hardwire to the house, I have a conduit, with my telephone extension, I left a string to pull another cable, then I will hardwire my Roku, and have a network cable at my desk, and a closer wireless source, in the house, I would also like to boost my signal to reach 500 feet, then I could connect anywhere on my property

    yes, I have fiber, as I posted before, a somewhat unique situation, there are 2 fiber optic lines on the poles on my street, the first, installed by the Cable TV company a long time ago... late 80s/early 90s more recently, the Phone company replaced their copper with fiber. with deregulation, both companies offer all 3 products, TV/Phone/Internet

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  20. #20
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,857

    Re: ISP that doesn't suck ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    yes, I have fiber, as I posted before, a somewhat unique situation, there are 2 fiber optic lines on the poles on my street, the first, installed by the Cable TV company a long time ago... late 80s/early 90s more recently, the Phone company replaced their copper with fiber. with deregulation, both companies offer all 3 products, TV/Phone/Internet
    Same on our side of the hill. We also have TDS & Atlantic Broadband available, both fiber as you know. We had TDS back in the old days when the local server was still Worldpath. We've stuck with them through dial-up, DSL & now fiber. Even bundled their cable service before we cut the cable. Still not hearing good things about AB over our way. And as I've said, TDS has been pretty rock solid even with all the shit that's usually running now.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •