Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jake Burton's Manifesto

Re: Jake Burton's Manifesto

Quote Originally Posted by highsider View Post
    Burton is basically offering people money to commit a crime.
    If someone gets caught and refuses to leave, I assume that's pretty clear-cut trespassing... but if someone buys a lift ticket, breaks the rules (not laws), gets booted and leaves peacefully where's the crime?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Guess since I'm looking at it from a different viewpoint. Considering my line of work and brands I currently (and have) marketed for.
    So, Ducati and Red Bull encourage people to break the law? I cant wait for your first ad campaign - "Ducati - fuck the police, ride as fast as you want!!!"

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by trickphoto View Post
    If someone gets caught and refuses to leave, I assume that's pretty clear-cut trespassing... but if someone buys a lift ticket, breaks the rules (not laws), gets booted and leaves peacefully where's the crime?
    I've never been to these mountains, but I assume that they have signs or something to let you know snowboards aren't welcome? If so, thats all it would take to pass muster at a VT resort (i.e., Mad River Glen) for an Unlawful Trespass charge.

I've never been to these mountains, but I assume that they have signs or something to let you know snowboards aren't welcome? If so, thats all it would take to pass muster at a VT resort (i.e., Mad River Glen) for an Unlawful Trespass charge.
    Which may, indeed, be exacty the kind of attention Burton is looking for...and, most likley, the kind of attention the resorts would perfer to avoid...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I've never been to these mountains, but I assume that they have signs or something to let you know snowboards aren't welcome?
    I assume they do...

Before you complain any more maybe ......just maybe ......you should go to
    Burton's site and see that no laws are to be broken in doing this. You spent more time writing about what you haven't read... then the time you could have just read up on it.....There are all sorts of other discalimers..

By these resorts being located on public lands... that eliminates any trespassing issues.

Burton.com

Lets see...... Taos has already committed Assault and Battery.... on this.. hence they fell to it. Caught on video.

I agree why do I care I don't partonize these resorts and they are losing out my $.... but it is our democracy and our public lands so....

Even most other resorts on public lands, you can ski or ride anything for FREE as long as you hike up.

Last edited by snowborder; 01-05-08 at 10:46 AM.
    2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by snowborder View Post
    Before you complain any more maybe ......just maybe ......you should go to
    Burton's site and see that no laws are to be broken in doing this. You spent more time writing about what you haven't read... then the time you could have just read up on it.....There are all sorts of other discalimers..

By these resorts being located on public lands... that eliminates any trespassing issues.

Burton.com

Lets see...... Taos has already committed Assault and Battery.... on this.. hence they fell to it. Caught on video.

I agree why do I care I don't partonize these resorts and they are losing out my $.... but it is our democracy and our public lands so....

Even most other resorts on public lands, you can ski or ride anything for FREE as long as you hike up.
    Snowboarders take this stuff personally, I'm amazed.

I just read through the "Ten Commandments", which are pretty fun. Commandment 1 is, "Dont break the law." If you're going to not break the law, you can't snowboard there. It doesn't make any sense.

I'm not a lawyer. I have done a fair bit of skiing in my day, and my understanding is that the premises of a ski area are the trails they pay to maintain and patrol. If you are using an instrument (snowboard) that they dont allow on their premises, you're breaking the law.

If you encourage someone else to break the law, you're doing something stupid. That was, is, and remains my only point.

But since I've clearly pissed in the Cheerios of a few of you, I give up on trying to make the point, and sincerely hope you cash in on the $5k, and further hope that you dont end up giving the $5k to a lawyer to get yourself out of any ensuing legal troubles.

If you are using an instrument (snowboard) that they dont allow on their premises, you're breaking the law.
    Cite!

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by trickphoto View Post
    Cite!
    *sigh* - no, you win, I suck.

Edit: Fuck it, I couldn't help myself.

The Vermont Statutes Online

I still hope someone on here gets five grand for doing it.

Last edited by highsider; 01-05-08 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Adding Unlawful Trespass Statute

Hmmm...
    I'm not a lawyer either, but I just don't see how breaking the rules of Mad River Glen constitutes a violation of VT's laws... Maybe it's the lack of "consent" (as stated below?) I imagine it would be relatively difficult to make something like that stick in court if the person in question bought a lift ticket, left peacefully, etc... I suppose whatever the fine print on the back of the lift ticket says would come into play. I dunno.

§ 3705. Unlawful trespass

(a) A person shall be imprisoned for not more than three months or fined not more than $500.00, or both, if, without legal authority or the consent of the person in lawful possession, he enters or remains on any land or in any place as to which notice against trespass is given by:

(1) Actual communication by the person in lawful possession or his agent or by a law enforcement officer acting on behalf of such person or his agent; or

(2) Signs or placards so designed and situated as to give reasonable notice.

(b) Prosecutions for offenses under subsection (a) of this section shall be commenced within 60 days following the commission of the offense and not thereafter.

(c) A person who enters a building other than a residence, whose normal access is locked, or a residence in violation of an order of any court of competent jurisdiction in this state shall be imprisoned for not more than one year or fined not more than $500.00, or both.

(d) A person who enters a dwelling house, whether or not a person is actually present, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so shall be imprisoned for not more than three years or fined not more than $2,000.00, or both. (Added 1969, No. 156 (Adj. Sess.); amended 1971, No. 229 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 1973, No. 109, § 7; 1979, No. 153 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 1981, No. 223 (Adj. Sess.), §§ 17, 23.)

whatever the fine, it's likley cheap compared to all the free pubilicity....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    whatever the fine, it's likely cheap compared to all the free pubilicity....
    Amen.

I retract my comment about Jake Burton being stupid.

Your missing the point , I want to ride my snow bike

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

" have done a fair bit of skiing in my day, and my understanding is that the premises of a ski area are the trails they pay to maintain and patrol. If you are using an instrument (snowboard) that they dont allow on their premises, you're breaking the law."

Does that mean if I decide to hike up and ride down on a snow shovel... I could get arrested...come on you get over it.

ummm no..... these resorts are on public lands... ie they don't own them... you don't own them. they pay the National Forest to borrow these lands to operate a business. Technically if you buy a pass you have every right to do whatever the National Forest Service allows. Snowboarding is one of those uses. Buying a pass could eliminate the "They maintain the trails and snow so you should pay for using them" argument

It is impossible to tresspass on public lands using it for an intended use.

NHIS and Lime Rock ARE NOT ON PUBLIC LAND!!!

End of Story.......

Regarding Assualt and Battery just watch the one video posted on Burton's site.

Last edited by snowborder; 01-05-08 at 09:05 PM.
    2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by snowborder View Post

End of Story.......
    Well, why didn't you just say so!

Littering and........

BTW, Mad River Glen is indeed on PRIVATELY OWNED LAND.

Mad River Glen’s Single Chair Ski Lift

Mad River Glen is one of the last preserves of the classic winding New England ski trail that was the norm at ski areas in the 1940s and 1950s. While the rest of Vermont’s ski areas have spent decades ‘upscaling, expanding and transforming’, Mad River Glen was not planned to be a ‘destination resort’. Mad River is a refuge for skiers craving diversity with running, steep mogul, and gladed trails that wind through the contours of the forested mountain. Unique among Vermont ski areas, Mad River Glen is on 700 acres of privately owned land.

Last edited by highsider; 01-05-08 at 10:22 PM.

Littering and........

And apparently, the Taos Resort already caved and will begin allowing snowboards in 2008.

Snowboarders Encouraged To 'Invade' Ski-Only Resorts

So, Ducati and Red Bull encourage people to break the law? I cant wait for your first ad campaign - "Ducati - fuck the police, ride as fast as you want!!!"
    Uh.. actually..

See one of the last events (highly successful) I pulled before I left Red Bull YouTube - Red Bull Urban Rail Sesh in Burlington, VT No permits, no permission, no problem.

Currently working on another new concept for Ducati that I'm sure certain righteous members of society would have issues with.

I AM A BAD MAN! hahaha.

Last edited by a13x; 01-06-08 at 03:11 AM.
    Boston --> San Diego

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Uh.. actually..

See one of the last events (highly successful) I pulled before I left Red Bull YouTube - Red Bull Urban Rail Sesh in Burlington, VT No permits, no permission, no problem.

Currently working on another new concept for Ducati that I'm sure certain righteous members of society would have issues with.

I AM A BAD MAN! hahaha.
    I was just bustin your chops, Alex.

Although I simply must point out that the security guard dude was *very* upset with you, and he *is* a professional.

Although I simply must point out that the security guard dude was *very* upset with you, and he *is* a professional.
    I thought that SecGuard was a woman at first. Dude was all types of HEATED.

First stop HospitalSec came out and busted us up. But did let us jam for a few extra minutes first (you can see in first part of vid)

Second stop was with The Professional, but we'd sessioned there for a while.

Third stop was Burlington HS and the actual PO-LEECE came by, did some sweet talking, and kept right on ripping. School Custodian came by too and was okay with it as long as we cleaned the steps off afterwards. Score!

No worries HS, thanks for the disclaimer.

Boston --> San Diego

Just for your guys information Snowboarding was allowed at Mad River Glen for a short period in the 80's.

They were just excluded from riding the single chair because when they would push off the chair to unload, it would make the cable jump a boggie wheel up top.

Thus they were limited to the main Double, Birdsland Chair and the Practice Slope chair.

Then one day a couple of riders confronted Betsy Pratt ( The owner ) down at the Grand Union in Waitsfield about this exclusion.

Let's just say that they were extremely rude and offensive to a 70 + year old lady and she said the hell with them and banned them completely.

Upon the sale from Betsy to the Co-Op the powers that be just kept the status quo.

I mean that poor single is a 4 cylinder diesel that can only move 600 skiers per hour up the hill anyways.

So they cut there own throats at the Glen.

TIMMYDUCK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12