Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Jeep Gladiator vs The World

Re: Jeep Gladiator vs The World

The Raptor towing is limited to 7000lbs and up to 8000 with weight distribution hitch. The long travel suspension is why it's limited. There are reports of people damaging the springs over time due to tongue weight over sagging the rear. The lighter springs are designed for long travel and not towing.

The Gladiator is 7650lbs in the Sport model and 7000 in the Rubicon as the Rubicon has the upgraded detachable sway bars front and rear for off road articulation. My Livin Lite VRV Toy Hauler max GVW is 7600 with an empty weight of 3800lbs. So with gear and bikes I don't think I ever get over 5500lbs. I never carry the 400lbs of drinking water or max out the load area with bikes.

I drove the Raptor to the dealer yesterday for the last time. I'll miss it's back seat area for changing on the fly when kayaking and stuff. Going into the Jeep felt like I went from a row boat to a sea kayak in how wrapped around everything just became. As someone under 6' tall at 5'9" the Jeep is really suited for my frame. The reach to the touch screen is now doable without the forward and right lean I needed in the F150. Plus the tech is much better than Ford's Sync. Verbal commands are faster and less verbal menu requirements. Find address and boom the GPS is on it.

The driving experience was confirmed by my daughter as she was first passenger. Her first comment was on ride smoothness. I have to agree. The Raptor's big tires and wheels unsprung weight along with the the truck being set up for fast big hits and not as a grocery getter slow crawler speed stuff shows.

I want to take this thing out west and do some overland trips. Pulls the camper and use it as a base camp to some of the major stops but then leave it behind and do some wilderness camping on the trails. That's were the money may end up outfitting this thing. Decent setup for trails but possibly an overland build that I can pull down when used as a commuter.

0 Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I thought all the launch editions sold out day one?
    What stereo do you have, the base 5 screen?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    What stereo do you have, the base 5” screen?
    8" with the sub.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel / Warp9 Racing
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P

Lifer

8" with the sub.
    I want to pull the trigger on the new generation, but my price range is Sport/Sport S, and that small base head unit literally annoys me... and there’s no replacement options.

0 Not allowed!

Did you get the Max Tow Package?

EDIT: Max Tow not available with Rubicon trim. Launch edition is based on Rubicon.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 08-27-19 at 04:10 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I want to pull the trigger on the new generation, but my price range is Sport/Sport S, and that small base head unit literally annoys me... and there’s no replacement options.
    I know people have been replacing the 7" with 8" on their own. Suspect you can do the same starting with the 5". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rbPH4Mqn2s

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel / Warp9 Racing
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P

I thought all the launch editions sold out day one?
    They were sold to the dealers in one day. It's a common practice for dealers to say they have them pre-sold in order to get an allotment of them.

1 Not allowed!

Related but unrelated - I drove a '19 Rubicon Unlimited yesterday, optioned nicely and with the Sky One-Touch. Will likely be ordering soon

0 Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- LRRS/CCS EX #47 --- 2018 LRRS Double Backup Champions GTL and ULSB , 2012 LRRS Champion AM Thunderbike --- RSP Racing / Tony's Track Days / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Dyno Solutions / Sport Bike Track Gear / Knox / Brunetto T-Shirts / GMD CompuTrack

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Related but unrelated - I drove a '19 Rubicon Unlimited yesterday, optioned nicely and with the Sky One-Touch. Will likely be ordering soon
    The Sky One Touch is OK if you don't plan to do much serious wheeling. There are comments about it jamming and the cost to fix with worth the maintenance plan extension.

While I'm here I wanted to mention the ease of use of the Jeep's Uconnect and voice commands over my Fords 1999 version called Ford Stync.
    Also the adaptive cruise on the Ford is like a drunk driver with speeding up and braking all the time while following traffic and then cancelling when speeds drop below 10mph and you need to be over 25mph when reactivating it. Yes it's not rated for Boston traffic. The Jeep on the other hand will come to a stop and wait 3 seconds or so before alerting you and cancelling. If the car moves before that it will continue along. Perfect for the Mass Pike! LOL

1 Not allowed!

Jeep pick up

passed one on 95

Looked like something red necks would have slapped together in a week end

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Wow I'm surprised they actually put advanced driving features like ACC on a Wrangler/Gladiator. I figured they'd wait until the next generation for that.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    The Sky One Touch is OK if you don't plan to do much serious wheeling. There are comments about it jamming and the cost to fix with worth the maintenance plan extension.

While I'm here I wanted to mention the ease of use of the Jeep's Uconnect and voice commands over my Fords 1999 version called Ford Stync.
    Also the adaptive cruise on the Ford is like a drunk driver with speeding up and braking all the time while following traffic and then cancelling when speeds drop below 10mph and you need to be over 25mph when reactivating it. Yes it's not rated for Boston traffic. The Jeep on the other hand will come to a stop and wait 3 seconds or so before alerting you and cancelling. If the car moves before that it will continue along. Perfect for the Mass Pike! LOL
    jeep gladiators, ford raptors...... and adaptive cruise?

0 Not allowed!

I heard the next gen Raptors and Gladiators will have a selector dial for the adaptive cruise. NORMAL - STOP AND GO - BOSTON - STARBUCKS

The thing about the Gladiator is that it is different. All the full size trucks look a lot a like these days, and the mid size are 90% replicas. The Jeep is different, and that is where I think many find the styling unappealing. I don't find it overstyled like many Asian cars, nor is it main stream like SilveRamOneFiddyundra. It's just different, and if that is something you like, great. I'm glad it's working for you, I know many with the newer Wranglers and they love them, wife actually wants one now. Personally, I'm waiting for a deal on an MXT...

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

The appeal of the Gladiator to me is that you can tear the doors and roof off. That's awesome.
    My father demonstrated some pretty good self awareness a few years ago and gave up riding, sold off his bike. He replaced it with what has since been a string of jeeps. He doesn't go mudding or overlanding or anything like that. It is for the most part your stereotypical mall-crawler. But he can toss the doors and roof and be part way towards the open air motorcycle experience without worrying about dropping the bike at his age. And he doesn't have to gear up. I gotta say, I've driven his jeeps in summer mode and I totally get it.

Add some utility with a cargo box and a reasonably adequate tow rating and .. yeah, a lot of sense. I argue this makes a lot more sense than a Colorado or a Tacoma mid-size as at least you get the open air thing. I've said this a million times, but I don't see that those midsizers bring much to the table vs a full-sizer these days.

I could see a Gladiator in my driveway as a weekend vehicle. Only hold up is the tow capacity.. is it enough? 7600 lbs max rating is enough to tow that 24' bunk-house camper the wife has been dreaming of. I could even be convinced to part with my street bikes for that.

So yeah. I totally get it.

0 Not allowed!

Adaptive Cruise - As someone with knees that suck and has to do hours of traffic a day the ability to get my legs out of the standard position once and a while helps me immensely in reducing knee pain. Not having to adjust speed and letting it do its thing is less taxing which adds to the fun factor. It's less taxing in those crappy driving situations.

I will say that parking the Raptor at Starbucks SUCKED! The Jeep is much easier to park being narrow and having the backup and front facing camera. LOL.

0 Not allowed!

My jackpot idea is bye-bye RAM in the next year or two, traded in for a Gladiator Sport MT with soft top only, tonneau cover, and bed liner </truck>

I'm going to add a 6x12 utility trailer and 6x12 enclosed trailer to the stable to handle anything that won't fit in the bed + going to the track.

2 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I'll add, I'm really not crazy about driving my full sized truck around all the time. It really is a wasteful thing, I rarely tax 20% of its capabilities and I'm paying 100% of the fuel cost.

2 Not allowed!

Anybody that hangs their foot out the door is immediately on my people I despise list.

3 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Jeep Gladiator vs The World-gladiator-jpg

There she is. $36,280 @ 0% for 72 months. I'm honestly not even sure why I'm waiting to do this.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Jeep Gladiator vs The World-gladiator-jpg

There she is. $36,280 @ 0% for 72 months. I'm honestly not even sure why I'm waiting to do this.
    I love that Sting Gray color. I couldn't find one anywhere in the area with the options I wanted. Went with white as it's an easy long term color to deal with.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    I love that Sting Gray color. I couldn't find one anywhere in the area with the options I wanted. Went with white as it's an easy long term color to deal with.
    I like Sting Gray, but that is actually Gator.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I like Sting Gray, but that is actually Gator.
    Ha ha... It sucks to be color blind

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Anybody that hangs their foot out the door is immediately on my people I despise list.
    I'd be prepared to accept your hatred.

Yesterday I saw a 50-something y/o dude in business attire on 495 yesterday escaping the land of plentiful jobs headed back to freedomland in his JL with the doors and top off. He looked happy as a pig in poop. I was on the copcicle. We shared a nod of mutual understanding of one another.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 08-28-19 at 11:03 AM.

Ive driven in a car before. Never once have I thought to myself that it would be so much better if I could stick my left leg and foot out where it doesn't belong. It screams the kind of look at me douchebaggery that is so prevalent in todays world.

that's my entire opinion. the whole thing.

I wish you all well.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast