Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

jim stoppani's shortcut to size

Re: jim stoppani's shortcut to size

Don't screw around. Go see a nutritionist. If you are referred by your doctor insurance will usually cover 4-6 visits.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Just as an FYI, metabolism doesn't truly slow with age. It's your activity level that slows. Think long term again, like 6 months at a time. Add up all those calories you burned as a 22 year old male on the prowl, then compare it with the calories you burn in six months as a balding homeowner with a wife and dog. It IS a purely mathematical equation, body types aside. YES, genetics play a role, but they don't change at some magical age. Look elsewhere.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    looking to get bigger before getting married by next year (?)
    TMI

hang a brick if necessary

3 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Just as an FYI, metabolism doesn't truly slow with age. It's your activity level that slows. Think long term again, like 6 months at a time. Add up all those calories you burned as a 22 year old male on the prowl, then compare it with the calories you burn in six months as a balding homeowner with a wife and dog. It IS a purely mathematical equation, body types aside. YES, genetics play a role, but they don't change at some magical age. Look elsewhere.
    I see your reasoning, and raise you building an addition and garage, splitting/hauling wood, playing indoor soccer, skiing and playing with a Great Dane puppy.

I'm more active now than ever. Just more of me is active. I'm a big fat fatty.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

There's no science behind it. metabolism is pretty much the same thing as activity.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

So you are either eating more/worse, or lounging/sleeping more. I'm gonna go with lounging/sleeping more. It is hard to maintain the activity level of a 20 YO long term.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

alright - Lucas/Matt - I really don't believe you guys, but I do want to get bigger, and know I have to eat more, so I'll try to up it and be consistent

Paul - eating a lot and working out I've tried, but I've never been *truly* consistent - that could be my issue, I'll see if I can make it 6 months...although I'm not sure I agree that metabolism stays the same your whole life. your body does change...look at type II diabetics - eventually their body stops making as much insulin, and this usually happens later in life

oreo/iglu/kurlon - thanks, you guys GET IT! but I'm also guessing by ~35 my body will start to gain mass too. I always had a 6-pack with no exercise until I hit ~26, then started collecting fat around the abdomen area

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    This.

First, start counting your calories, what you're eating now. I use a program called "Diet analysis plus" that was from a college friend's nutrition textbook, but there's tons of calorie calculators online. Start measuring out your food for a week and keep track of everything. This gives you a baseline for how many calories you're consuming daily. This is your maintenance caloric level, which if you eat this number of calories you neither gain nor lose weight. To gain weight at a rate of 1lb per week, you need to increase this by 500 calories a day. To lose weight you decrease this number by 500 calories. If you're doing a lot of cardio, stop. Do it maybe once a week to keep your endurance up, but otherwise you're just burning more calories which you would need to eat extra to make up for.

At 6' 138lbs with really low bodyfat, you shouldn't be concerned too much about where the calories come from. Don't worry about trying to eat real lean cuts of meat. Go for whole milk instead of skim, etc. Full-fat mayo instead of low-fat. My best investment for gaining size has been a $10 coffee grinder. If you make a protein shake, grind up a cup of oatmeal and mix that in with it. There's an extra 300 calories.

Wat I've found is really helpful is to cook up a ton of food for the week on weekends. On Sundays, I'd make a box of pasta, cook up a few pounds of burger patties, a few pounds of chicken, a few cups of brown rice, mix up a few cans of tuna salad. That way I'd have all my food prepared for the week. For lunch, I'd cut up a burger patty and mix that in with the pasta and some sauce. Dinner would be a chicken breast with a cup of rice. Tuna sandwich with a dozen almonds for an afternoon snack. This way you're getting a consistent number of calories each day, and if you're still not gaining weight, you can increase meals accordingly.
    finally, some advice!

I need to start doing this...just like money - you'll know you're doing it wrong when it's all laid out on paper

edit: I need to get a food scale...for lunch I'm having about 2-1/2 cups of chicken biryani (indian white rice, mixed with chicken, yogurt, potatoes, spices), add another 2-1/2 cups worth of indian-prepped fish (weight??), another 2-1/2 cups of indian lentils (weight??)...but then how many calories & g of protein? dunno...add on a protein shake, 2 protein bars for dessert, & some wheat roti's -I'm full, that's all

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-29-13 at 11:00 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

You already got the best advice on page 1. Lift big, eat big, sleep big.

Skip all the sissy bodybuilder exercises and focus on the big compound movements: bench press, squats, deadlifts. You don't need 10 sets of each. A couple heavy sets, and progressive weight increases week to week. Don't do 12 reps like bodybuilding routines. Do 6-8 reps med/heavy then 3-5 reps heavy. If you aren't struggling to get that last rep it's not heavy enough. 3 workouts a week is plenty if you are lifting heavy and your intensity is high.

Keep strict form. Always.

Learn to recognize the symptoms of overtraining and avoid it at all costs.

0 Not allowed!

Why are you weighing out food?

0 Not allowed!

It's helpful (at least in the beginning) to weigh/measure out food to get an visual picture of portion sizes and their calories. After a while you get good at estimating a cup of rice, or a 4oz portion of meat, etc. Once you know how many calories you're consuming on a daily basis, you can adjust accordingly, go for 1.5 cups of rice instead, etc.

You really have no idea what you're eating per day until you actually list it out and count it up.

0 Not allowed!
    -Matt

I guess but I still maintain he should be eating as much as possible and not be weighing out portions if his true goal is to put on size. I'd also look into a weight gainer. Easy and convenient.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

alright - Lucas/Matt - I really don't believe you guys, but I do want to get bigger, and know I have to eat more, so I'll try to up it and be consistent
    I'm with 'em too. Eat, eat, eat. Many of the light people I know *think* they eat big, but they don't. They have such a good view of what a healthy proper diet is, that their idea of eating a lot is the average American's daily intake. They also gravitate towards meals that most would describe as healthy. Low fat, vegetables, fruits, light on the carb etc.

I'm 6ft, and a bit pudgy at ~185lb. But how much I eat regularly surprises most (I attribute it solely to exercise, not blessed genetics or being young) and when I am in a good rhythm of solid activities (outdoors, sports, gym) I'm hungry all day long eating 1200-1500cal meals and anything within arms reach while still slowly losing weight. I like to eat, but at those times it starts to feel like a burden to keep up with it.

Do you count your intake? Keep the best possible track of daily calorie and protein intake. If you don't already, it might take a while to get used to estimating meals which you can't get nutrition facts for. There is tons of info online now, entire websites dedicated to this. You'll start to memorize all your favorite foods, and it will be much easier to count.
    your body does change...look at type II diabetics - eventually their body stops making as much insulin, and this usually happens later in life
    Sure, and it's often (not always) the result of obesity. Obesity will cause many unwanted body changes.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by aldend123; 10-29-13 at 12:38 PM.
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Hypertarded

roids

0 Not allowed!

Now that is a shortcut to size!

0 Not allowed!

I'm 5'11" 145# and have been for the last 16 years (I'm 34). I can eat like a cow and not gain an ounce or eat next to nothing and not lose anything. Sounds like you might need to consult an expert and not the Internet, . 02

0 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

Irony here is that he IS a doctor. LOL

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

I'm kinda blown away by this discussion. It's hard to imagine not being able to eat enough to gain weight. 47 grams of protein in a double quater pounder from mcdonalds. Substitute the fries for 20 nuggets and get another 44g's. That's one easy meal (I've tried it out, ALOT) and 90 grams protien. When it's taco night I eat about 2 lbs of meat 50 beef/50 turkey tons of cheese and greek yogurt instead of sour cream. That's another meal with 100g's. For lunch it's yogurt again and about 3/4 lb of lunchmeat in 2 sandwiches. Any time I order a pizza or something that isn't mostly meat I get chicken tenders also. All this being said no one calls me svelt, and I RARELY workout so this 'diet' may not work so well for you. 6'3" and 240ish lbs and built like a bulldozer.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    All this being said no one calls me svelt, and I RARELY workout so this 'diet' may not work so well for you. 6'3" and 240ish lbs and built like a bulldozer.
    so you're just fat?

j/k

being healthcare trained, I can't bring myself to eat a bunch of mcdonalds and chicken nuggets to get big...

but I see your point - just gotta eat more

here's what I'm using for nutrition guidelines:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shor...nutrition.html

-eat 7-9 meals/day

Calories:
    -17-20 cals * 138 lbs = 2346-2760 calories (rest - workout days)
    -try to get carbs from COMPLEX sources (wheat bread, wheat pasta, oatmeal, etc.) - slow digesting - gives an even supply of glucose throughout the day

Protein:
    -1-1.5g * 138lbs = 138-207g (rest & workout days)
    -sources: whey protein isolate shakes, beef, chicken, fish, eggs, dairy

supplements:
    -take multivitamin daily & fish oil
    -BCAA's & glutamine when waking & before/after workouts
    -whey protein shakes in AM, bedtime, & before/after workouts
    -drink 1 liter of water throughout workout & when you wake up

so I got the supplement section down - I drink it in the AM, then bring a shaker bottle with powder & put extra powder into these:

when I get up, I usually have 6 eggs, and a cup of oatmeal daily with above supplements around 7-7:30am

I *try* to eat again by 10-11am, but sometimes work gets too crazy to do so...if that's the case, I'll do my best to quickly eat a protein bar & sip on a shake

lunch is usually ~1:30, but between then and when I get off work at ~7-7:30pm I usually can't eat again. Then I'll eat again before I leave work, then ride straight to the gym (bout an hour ride), then eat again afterwards around 10-11pm

so on the days I work (5-6 days), it's tough to eat every 3 hours...plus with something like this: how much protein is that?

indian prepped chicken & potatoes, indian lentils

this is why I want to get a scale...measure out the chicken to get an idea of how much there is

I finished day 3 of the program...day 4 tomm, then start microcycle 2 on Saturday...also got the calorie app d/l'd

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-31-13 at 05:23 PM.
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

supplements:
    -take multivitamin daily & fish oil
    -BCAA's & glutamine when waking & before/after workouts
    -whey protein shakes in AM, bedtime, & before/after workouts
    -drink 1 liter of water throughout workout & when you wake up

so I got the supplement section down - I drink it in the AM, then bring a shaker bottle with powder & put extra powder into these:

when I get up, I usually have 6 eggs, and a cup of oatmeal daily with above supplements around 7-7:30am

I *try* to eat again by 10-11am, but sometimes work gets too crazy to do so...if that's the case, I'll do my best to quickly eat a protein bar & sip on a shake

lunch is usually ~1:30, but between then and when I get off work at ~7-7:30pm I usually can't eat again. Then I'll eat again before I leave work, then ride straight to the gym (bout an hour ride), then eat again afterwards around 10-11pm

so on the days I work (5-6 days), it's tough to eat every 3 hours...plus with something like this: how much protein is that?

indian prepped chicken & potatoes, indian lentils

this is why I want to get a scale...measure out the chicken to get an idea of how much there is

I finished day 3 of the program...day 4 tomm, then start microcycle 2 on Saturday...also got the calorie app d/l'd
    I just ate half my kid's Hallowe'en candy and made chili from all the leftovers in the fridge. Full crock pot mostly gone in three hours. Now finishing the gallon of cider I bought yesterday. Exercise consists of taking the dog out to poop and reading NESR. Pretty sure none of that is generating muscle though.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by carsick; 10-31-13 at 09:26 PM.
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Why would you need suppliments if you're eating that much?

Serious question. Typical american diet has us OD'ing on just about every vitamin/mineral/carb/protein/etc plus the bad stuff, what good is tossing extra down the hatch when you're upping your intake that much?

Are you concerned the wildlife downstream of the sewer in your area are in danger of dying from scurvy?

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel / Warp9 Racing
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

I'd recommend consulting with yourself before starting on any diet or exercise program.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

update: week 1 started great, then the end sucked...I had guest over last weekend, so I'd get out of work at 7:30pm, meet up with them from 8:30pm-1am, and missed 1 workout. Then got up late for 4 days after going to sleep late and didn't have time to make the 6-egg breakfast...was mostly having a banana, shake, and a quick bowl of chicken...I suck @ food!

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Don't do 12 reps like bodybuilding routines. Do 6-8 reps med/heavy then 3-5 reps heavy. If you aren't struggling to get that last rep it's not heavy enough. 3 workouts a week is plenty if you are lifting heavy and your intensity is high.
    okay, I looked into this - the reasoning is the difference between muscle endurance (high reps) and muscle strength (low reps), and alternating between the two generates muscle confusion. If you're just doing the former (low reps), you will build muscle strength & keep increasing weight, but the muscles will adapt and you won't build size.

so does this work for sure? I dunno...but I've done the 3-5 rep range for 2-3 months which brings me to a plateau, so I'm hoping that switching between rep ranges (= microcycle) will switch between endurance/strength & cause muscle confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Why would you need suppliments if you're eating that much?
    I used the math from the program nutrition link to calculate how much I'm supposed to eat: 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight. When I broke it down and added it up based on what I was eating, and found that I needed to add the whey shake in addition to the diet to hit the numbers.

other supplements: not 100% sure if this stuff works or if their reasoning is accurate (most of the time the mechanism of their action is described as "builds muscle size"), and I had a friend run a pubmed search for primary literature on it, and the data is pretty weak if nonexistent...but the website suggests: whey protein: has been shown to increase muscle growth as well as strength gain when used in a workout. Good speed of digestion (fast protein to consume) to get the amino acids to the muscles as fast as possible. BCAA's (branched chain amino acids) - composed of leucine, isoleucine, and valine. Leucine has been shown to get into the muscle to stimulate muscle protein synthesis, but all 3 are necessary as a fuel source during intense training. Glutamine: Essential amino acid that the body uses as a cellular fuel; so if you are deficient (from not getting in diet or training too hard), your body just gets the fuel from wasting the muscle tissue.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-05-13 at 02:03 PM.
    instagram @veshlife

update: finishing week 2

did shoulders today

okay, this pic is a little deceiving...it just looks good because it's a blurry cell pic, and the lighting...now I know how fat chicks look good in online pics

pluses
    -program gives you outline of exercises - forces me to workout shoulders 3 different ways in the same day
    -REST PAUSE: 2nd week, now I get it. You go to exhaustion over 3-4 sets of high weight, then after you can't lift anymore, rack the weight, wait 15 seconds, and pump out reps until you get to exhaustion - this really forced me to fatigue my muscles to entirety, and they really get sore for 2-3 days afterwards

I'm getting results, but I've gotten "this far" before...hopefully dropping the reps and increasing the weight, then cycling back to low weight/high reps for the 2nd phase will help me break the plateau

anyone know anything about "bulk + shred" method?

I talked to a trainer - he said 1st 2 months - bulk. 3rd month - shred. Keep doing the program workouts, just use your diet to bulk & shred....so for the first 2 months - up the calories through carbs. By the 3rd month, shred by decreasing carbs, and switch to fats.

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @veshlife

Why is a trainer telling an Ectomorph to bulk and shred? You should be forever bulking.

0 Not allowed!

putting on weight is so much easier than all the previous advice...

1.) Keeping growing older
    2.) get married
    3.) have kids

it really is that simple...

I laugh at all you skinny single guys. I can gain weight now, just from reading yelp.

0 Not allowed!
    Sam