Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

jim stoppani's shortcut to size

Re: jim stoppani's shortcut to size

okay...took about 3 months to for my back muscles to heal since the MX crash...been doing light back exercises to "PT" my back as she was healing, but I did a full-out back workout last night and she's ready to go

goals:

1.) finish the full 12 weeks of shortcut to size - see what sort of results I get
    2.) if it doesn't work - try the "eat big, lift big, sleep big" for 3 months
    3.) if it doesn't work - who cares? I've been exercising for 6 months...keep it up!

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-20-14 at 12:07 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

I finished shortcut to size. Up 20 lbs and lost body fat.
    I feel stronger than ever and I have definitely gained some serious size and definition.

Starting shortcut to shred but I can't do 6 days at the gym neither I can follow the eating so I'm adjusting it.
    Then I will be trying something I came up with over the winter when I became CPT

1 Not allowed!

NICE!!!! so it works!!

what happened between the phases?

I saw size during the beginning of microcycle 1 (12-15 reps), but it started to go down during microcycle 4....did you continue to grow going back to microcycle 1 again in phase 2 or phase 3?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-20-14 at 06:32 PM.
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

I kept growing through each phase. Biggest improvement was chest and shoulders.
    Legs got stronger but no definition. I couldn't finish the leg work outs though

1 Not allowed!

nice...I am in

it just sucks to re-start...I'm down about 50% of the weight where I left off...

did you follow any of the diet?

this time around - no supplements...just a soy protein shake (post-workout), and regular food...just more of it. The good thing is that working out just makes me more inherently hungry...eating more will be natural

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @veshlife

I was eating only steak, chicken and salmon for 4 months. Nothing fried and no sweets.
    Supplements Whey protein in the morning and post workout. Vitamins and fish oil.
    All my work out days started at 930pm. I did minimal cardio (under an hour per week).

0 Not allowed!

F-yeah...that pumps me up....I'm 2 days in and feeling that initial soreness...

I'm going to weigh in, measure up, get organized with food and try to be consistent with finishing this time around

What program did you come up with?

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @veshlife

I made my own program after I got certified and went to a few seminars.
    I got pieces together from stopani himself for the nutrition since I'm Not very educated on that.
    My program is 4 days; 2 work days 1 off 2 work days 2 off.
    8 of my clients have completed 1/3 of it and they loving it so far.
    I do some custom programs to specifics based on the person I am working with too.
    Stopani is actual a gentlemen. Iv been in constant communication with him and I actually will try to get to west coast and meet him. The dude is a scientist he really knows his stuff.
    I love the soreness. Means you are doing something right. Keep it up and don't give up.

0 Not allowed!

whoa, you talked to him personally? that's funny, haha

finished week 1 yesterday...rest-pause really tires you out. I'm just such a weakling right now...my arms and legs shake pushing up the weight...and half the time I don't know what the "right weight" is supposed to be for 12-15 reps

regardless, I'm tracking it this time around...

and when you say you didn't finish legs - you mean the calf workouts during days 1-2 or the 4th day leg workout?

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @veshlife

Not finishing legs I mean that on the last set I could not finish all the reps.
    But I was pushing significant weight for myself on leg days. I squat 325lbs during the last phase last week and I started with 90lbs on week 1.
    Leg days killed me. Only day that I legit had to sit down and breath in order to drive home because there was no blood going to my brain any more hahaha. I also have and always will hate leg day.

Yes I talked to him. He was a big influence for me to take this serious and he even helped me out with becoming certified.

1 Not allowed!

wow...I suck...

started the first week, then kept finding excuses not to go...1 day turned into 3...which turned into missing 2 weeks.

part of me was just dreading that first week drudgery: going to the gym feeling so weak...lifting very little weight...feeling tired...got a new phone so no playlist

so I finally dragged my ass out of bed at 6:15 this AM and went to re-start the 12 weeks...and it was as awful as expected. I didn't have a playlist setup (no wonder Dr. S recommends music), I didn't bring a water bottle, I was re-learning what the "correct" weight was, I was trying to remember what the personal trainer taught me about form (squeezing at the end), and I was out of the house for nearly 2 hours when it was said and done.

3 good things came out of it - I finally re-started, I weighed in for baseline (134 lbs), and I started using bodyspace to track my workouts

another good thing - I'm super scrawny right now...I can only go up from here!

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-08-14 at 10:24 PM.
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    part of me was just dreading that first week drudgery: going to the gym feeling so weak...lifting very little weight...feeling tired...got a new phone so no playlist
    Get over this. Who cares how weak you are, or how wiped you get? You're in the gym to increase your physical capacity; and, if you're putting in the effort, it will happen. I've read through the thread: you're too neurotic over the small things, you it a bump in the road and beleive that you've got nothing more to gain. Start looking at them as a challenge, have it as a goal to break past the "stalls", and go at it with determination. Just lift, eat, sleep, rinse and repeat; keep at it for more than three months and you'll see progress.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tokyo Drift; 04-09-14 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Drift View Post
    Get over this. Who cares how weak you are, or how wiped you get?
    This. If everyone got worried about this, no one would ever increase their muscle mass, lose weight, or become healthier, stronger, fitter, etc. I went to (muddled through, really) a bootcamp class on Sunday (very similar to the P90x stuff I did in the past successfully) and I STILL hurt from it. But, I went for a run last night, and I have plans the rest of the week to keep moving. The first two weeks are the hardest, for precisely the reasons you stated. Get through those 2 weeks, then the workout becomes habit, and THEN you'll start to see improvement.

0 Not allowed!
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    okay...took about 3 months to for my back muscles to heal since the MX crash...been doing light back exercises to "PT" my back as she was healing, but I did a full-out back workout last night and she's ready to go

goals:

1.) finish the full 12 weeks of shortcut to size - see what sort of results I get
    2.) if it doesn't work - try the "eat big, lift big, sleep big" for 3 months
    3.) if it doesn't work - who cares? I've been exercising for 6 months...keep it up!
    These are great goals in good order. You just have to do it and keep doing it!

0 Not allowed!

first week - terrible form, took shortcuts, too tired to go, couldn't find right weight, felt like crap, cut workout short

today - focused on good form, came in with high energy, pushed myself, finished 100% of exercises...the previous weeks exercises are starting to compound and show results, which helps with motivation tremendously...finally!

body is responding well - appetite is up, gained 2.5lbs, sleeping well...so well, that I'm about to sleep on this keyboard, good night

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-15-14 at 01:07 AM.
    instagram @veshlife

Keep it up. Don't give up on form to increase a lot of weight.

Slow progress is still progress. Remember you are naturally skinny (like me) keep your workouts short and explosive. You shouldn't be at the gym more than 45 minutes definitely not more than hour.

0 Not allowed!

I'm getting there...52 mins today...I also hate legs...I friggen suck at it, and I hate it...but I pushed through. And I'm starting to get into a routine to cut back on workout time (namely with making song playlist, filling water bottle, untangling headphones, loading bodyspace program)

Week 1 complete...time to come down on the reps and up the weight

sort of annoying: getting older...I found energy and motivation (meeting up with grad school friends from 3 years ago) to wail on biceps for the first week, but then the next 2 days I had so much inflammation, that it was painful. Baseline pain was around 2-3, but the moment I straightened my arm or lifted something, pain was like a 7-8. Classic overexertion: delayed onset (8+ hours), muscle soreness lasting days...pain usually peaking 24-48 hours. This pain reflects muscle damage and is induced by inflammation, acidosis, muscle spasms, and/or microlesions. Treatment: rest, ice, compression, elevation, tylenol/advil, and/or bengay/aspercreme for first 1-3 days.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-17-14 at 02:16 AM.
    instagram @veshlife

ugh...lousy workout week:

Sunday AM - do 1/2 a chest workout before church
    Monday - day after easter thrashing, passout after work...skip
    Tuesday - more thrashing/catchup, passout after work...skip
    Wednesday - caught up at work, but post-work laundry/cleaning/cooking day...skip
    Thursday - post work - dragged myself to gym @ 10pm, FINALLY go back, and get a good workout

chest is *beginning* to show some definition...gotta keep up

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-25-14 at 01:32 AM.
    instagram @veshlife

Sounds like you need to reevaluate your schedule more than anything...

0 Not allowed!

yupp...I'm hoping the mornings will be better...

last Thursday my 6:30am workout got cut short, so I went back after work at 10pm and finished it off

fri - pass: work, then drove to/from san diego after to meet college friends (home at 2am),
    sat - pass: work, then did a mountain dirt ride after until about 10pm
    Sun - work, but (tonight) I slammed out a good workout afterwards

I'm going to start planning them week by week

Monday - riding mini moto - will workout in AM
    Tue/Wed/Thu - working 9-7...workout in AM on Tue/Thu and take Weds off
    Fri - take off
    Sat - riding mini moto - will workout in AM

the dirt rides are actually pretty tiring...I almost consider it a conditioning workout on my off days

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-05-14 at 01:43 AM.
    instagram @veshlife

What exactly is your work schedule?

0 Not allowed!

it varies week to week...the only fixed days I have are every other friday/saturday/sunday, and every other monday

but this week:

Sunday: 9-6
    Monday: off
    Tue/Wed/Thi: 9-7
    Friday: 12-9
    Saturday: off
    Sunday: off

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @veshlife

Finished Monday...shoulders showed some definition today

and if you look carefully, back is filling in a little too

cheated a little & sipped some coffee...it helped w' energy though...felt damn good & didn't waste any time

shoulders/traps/calves
    -47 mins (getting shorter!)
    -energy 9/10
    -weight: 134.5lbs

Tomorrow - legs & abs before work (defrosting a few chicken tenderloins for breakfast tomm)
    Thursday - chest, triceps, calves
    Saturday - Back, biceps, abs

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-06-14 at 04:00 AM.
    instagram @veshlife

With that schedule you should be able to get to the gym at least four times a week no problem. Learn to love it or don't bother.

Make sure you eat a lot of slow digesting protein before bed so you don't turn catabolic over night!

And what the hell is wrong with drinking coffee?!

0 Not allowed!

coffee is fine...I'm just looking to go caffeine free nowadays because I was dependent in grad school..a little every now and then is fine for me

legs/abs done
    -45 mins
    -energy 8/10
    -136lbs

strange...I never sweat for chest/arms/etc....I did for legs!

big muscles = more blood flow = sweat more?

I'm finally figuring out how to squat properly...muscle memory is there...but romanian deadlifts - needs more practice

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-07-14 at 03:51 AM.
    instagram @veshlife