Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

jim stoppani's shortcut to size

Re: jim stoppani's shortcut to size

oh man...f'd it up...

wednesday: rest day
    Thursday: missed - after work, meet friend for dinner at 8, get home at 10:30, pass out
    friday - missed - spent 2 hours cooking in AM, worked evening shift until 9:30, met to see subwoofer on craigslist, fixed water pump leak on bike until 1am
    saturday - finish prepping bike @ 6am for track day, ride mini-moto all day

result?

missed thu/fri

going TONIGHT...and next week: no more pool or dinners!

Tonight: Chest, triceps, calves
    Sunday: (work 9-6) Back, biceps, abs
    Monday: (work 9-7) rest day, get dirt tires mounted
    Tuesday: (ride MX) shoulders, traps, calves
    Wednesday: (no work) legs
    Thursday: (helping friends w' multiple airport drop offs): Chest, Triceps, Calves
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: Back, biceps, abs

only finished half of chest last night...wrapped it up tonight and pushing back/biceps/abs for tomorrow.

total tricep destruction tonight...friggen love it

quick eats before I hit the gym in an hour - 5 egg whites, ~1lb of chicken with garam masala and a bit of salt

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-14-14 at 12:44 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke ** 2001 Suzuki GSX1300R Busa ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

finishing week 2...

Paul E-D 's comment about 2-week change is dead on - after 2 weeks, I'm seeing some immediate results:

just gotta be consistent and stick with it to see some long term changes...

WEEKLY PLAN:
    Saturday - work in AM, truck off-roading in PM, movie at night
    Sunday - work in AM, back/biceps/abs in evening
    Monday - work - site is far, rest day
    Tuesday - Legs in AM, chest/triceps in evening
    Wednesday - back/biceps/abs
    Thursday - 12 hour workday - rest
    Friday - work in AM, ride MX in PM
    Saturday - work in AM, shoulders/traps/calves in PM

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-17-14 at 02:41 AM.
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke ** 2001 Suzuki GSX1300R Busa ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

I always do chest on Mondays. Religiously.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and if you are skipping legs you are wasting your time.

0 Not allowed!

***continued from other thread***

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    The egg I do scramble and switch it up. Sometimes it's sliced turkey, sometimes grilled chicken, sometimes peppers onions mushrooms. I rarely do hard boiled. I got sick of them after a year lol

I don't pan fry anything. Everything I eat is grilled or baked. I usually do my meal preps between 10pm and 1am. I do t have to be at work until 10-11am.

Try overnight oats to save time in the am. Take oatmeal put in a jar/bowl with milk/egg whites/water (I mix all 3). Add some protein powder (table spoon not full serving) and some flavor (usually chea seeds/sunflower seeds/almonds). Mix it up and leave it in the refrigerator when you go to bed. Wake up in the morning and eat it exactly as is. Delicious quick and great breakfast.

I do the same thing with my yogurt. I get it in 1lbs bucket. I split that in 5 servings With Tupperware. I add my strawberry and mixed nuts and sometimes honey or peanut butter (if it is going to be a preworkout) and I just grab one in the morning on my way to work.

I can help you with more ideas if you want. I have put a lot of effort and time in this
    I do want more ideas, but let's start in the middle of this week...currently don't have a fridge, but am expecting to pick one up by Tue-Thu of this week

Monda:
    -5:45am: 2 pan fried eggs on wheat toast (with yolks), cup of oatmeal (not steel cut) w' scoop of peanut butter topped w' a bit of nautral maple syrup for flavor, cup of V8 fusion light
    -6:45am-8:15am: chest/triceps/calves
    -Post workout/8:30am: soy protein shake and ~2 hardboiled eggs mixed into 1 serving of wheat pasta & ragu sauce (I know, the sauce sucks)
    -1:15pm Lunch: chicken breast, wheat rice, banana, salad
    -7:30pm Dinner: 2nd serving of egg pasta
    -9:30-sleep: work on recommendation letter for intern

Tuesday (work): rest
    Weds (no work): Back, biceps, abs
    Thursday (no work): shoulder, traps, calves
    Friday (work): rest
    Saturday (work): rest
    Sunday (work): chest, triceps, calves again

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @veshlife

Without re-reading this thread, why are you doing split routines and not something like starting strength?

0 Not allowed!

Oh you go to the gym early. Ya I don't do that nonsense lol

0 Not allowed!

Want size, need testosterone. No amount of exercise without Testosterone would help.

Want Testosterone

Cholesterol
    Cholesterol makes T, it is the precursor to Testosterone
    Eat foods with cholesterol: Egg yolks, Milk products
    Most recent studies show that dietary cholesterol does not add toward the cholesterol in your blood. Do your own research on this.

The night of the workout have a couple of whole eggs, industrial eggs are safer than industrial chicken if your on a budget.
    Eat grass fed lamb/beef if your not a vegetarian

Sleep
    Sleep more, this is huge, try to get between 8-10 hours of sleep
    T is made in deep sleep, most studies show that T is made during REM sleep between the hours of 3 am and 6 am
    Quit drinking, smoking

Vitamin D
    You live in SoCal so your Vit D should be alright, if not try to get more Sun or take some Vit D 3 supplements

Exercise
    Add Squats and deadlifts
    You can body weight Squats at home, this is very important.
    Do you do pull ups? Consider these for lats, close hand pull ups for biceps and horizontal pull ups with Kbells or dumbells or a table

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Karate.Snoopy; 10-27-14 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Without re-reading this thread, why are you doing split routines and not something like starting strength?
    Because he "stalls" on the lifts, and is afraid of eating big.

0 Not allowed!

Also I said it before. If you are not planning on working legs don't bother working on anything else.

0 Not allowed!

Also I said it before. If you are not planning on working legs don't bother working on anything else.
    Squats/Deadlifts are huge, probably the best HGH catalyst. I prefer deadlifts, find them easier on my joints. Plus they help with sprinting too.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Karate.Snoopy; 10-27-14 at 02:38 PM.

huh?

@ Tsorfas - I failed - gonna go after work...

@ KSnoop - I'll list the exercises after work...it does the big exercies (squats, legs, etc.)

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    huh?

@ Tsorfas - I failed - gonna go after work...

@ KSnoop - I'll list the exercises after work...it does the big exercies (squats, legs, etc.)
    for big gains, more than even exercises I would say get 9+ hours of sleep/rest, babies grow when the sleep right oh and get some good quality cholesterol in your diet, especially before you hit the sack

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Karate.Snoopy; 10-27-14 at 06:16 PM.

Some of this stuff is funny. I rarely work legs at the gym, especially calves, that's something office guys need

Besides that, why combine back and bi and chest/ tri? Seems like an easy way to overwork a muscle. If you hit your back your already getting your bi's with most exercises, so why not do tri's after. Same with chest, do bi's after. It's something a coworker turned me onto, and the technique seems to work. Also I've been loving heavy weight full body exercise like dead lifts, bent over rows, and straight bar shrugs. That's something to try if your not doing it.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Dude you unnaturally strong. I'm serious.

0 Not allowed!

huh?
    Weds (no work): Back, biceps, abs
    Thursday (no work): shoulder, traps, calves
    Sunday (work): chest, triceps, calves again
    This kind of stuff, "split" routines. Conventional wisdom is that these are for bodybuilders who are already generally big/strong and need to "fine tune" particular areas for competition. Next time you decide to change up your routine, maybe consider one of the "full body" programs that use only big compound movements, like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. SS, for example, only uses squats/deadlifts/power cleans/bench press/standing press. You do 3 workouts per week, 3 exercises per workout on a rotation (squats are always one of the three exercises).

0 Not allowed!

This kind of stuff, "split" routines. Conventional wisdom is that these are for bodybuilders who are already generally big/strong and need to "fine tune" particular areas for competition. Next time you decide to change up your routine, maybe consider one of the "full body" programs that use only big compound movements, like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. SS, for example, only uses squats/deadlifts/power cleans/bench press/standing press. You do 3 workouts per week, 3 exercises per workout on a rotation (squats are always one of the three exercises).
    He is absolutely right. With 3 days a week you need to workout big muscle groups with long movement.

0 Not allowed!

Dude you unnaturally strong. I'm serious.
    Thanks. It's all the bull semen in my diet.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by maxim_X; 11-05-14 at 04:44 AM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

ok, done w' split exercises; let's change up routine to full body

found a sample: Bodybuilding.com - The Full-Body Workout For Extreme Fitness!

this week I'll workout Tue (day 1), Thu (day 2), Saturday cardio (MX), and Sun (day 3)

so today - benchpress, squats, bent over barbell rows...high weight, 2-4 sets of 10-11 reps

grocery shopped a bit for 3 days of food:
    1.) meats - rotisserie chicken (I know, expensive/salty), tray of lean turkey, eggs, indian lentils
    2.) carbs - steel cut oats, wheat spaghetti, harvest grains mix, wheat bread, kashi go lean
    3.) fruits - diced up canteloupe, bananas, oranges

sample meal -

harvest grains:

topped with a layer of lean ground turkey:

layer of 4 hardboiled eggs (no yolk)

1 slice of american cheese for flavor:

topped with an sunny-side egg, yolk intact (little burned ):

mix it up, wolf it down

bowl of fruit:

I will have 5-6 meals like this/day...alternating the carbs (wheat pasta, harvest grains, steel cut oats, wheat bread), the meats (chicken, turkey, eggs, fish), and the fresh fruits/veggies....1 meal ideally an hour before workout, and another one right after (w' a shake). breakfast - mix & alternate b/w kashi go lean, sunnyside pan fried eggs on wheat toast, steel cut oats w' peanut butter, fruits & AM shake.

fluids: water, almond milk, shakes, and 1/2 a glass of V8 fusion light

Q1: Tsorfas - any other suggestions w' diet?

Q2: what kind of shake?

I figured you can get all the protein you need from diet; shakes just get you the rest of protein quickly if you can't get enough meals. The issue I have is lactose intolerance to most shakes. I seem to tolerate 2-4 slices of american cheese just fine, but after a week of shakes, the lactose in shakes gives me a nauseating gas stomach ache. I now have a soy-only shake..going to finish that container, then try another kind.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-04-14 at 09:09 PM.
    instagram @veshlife

Bent over rows are awesome. Make sure you do them right if you haven't done them before, and it helps to set the bar in a squat box and use straps when you get into heavier weight. I like 4 sets starting really light with he first one, and struggling to make 5 reps on the last one. MX isn't really cardio, but it can't hurt.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Use Hemp Protein shake if you are lactose intolerant. Also consider including Tilapia post workout / fatty fish like Salmon for dinner. Instead of having several smaller meals I find it best for me to have a 2-3 Big meals. Consider including BCAA's post workout, especially Lucine which is leads to protein synthesis but be careful when you take it as it spikes the insulin, preferably post workout and with the meal after.
    Kettlebell swings are a beast for Cardio, helped me tremendously, any type of plyometrics. Also the swings build up your lateral chain which in turn aids in every other exercise you do.

1 Not allowed!

I started gyming this summer. Trying to go two days a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. What do you think of this? My chest is a weak point.

Day 1:
    Chest press 80's
    incline dumbell press 70's
    bent over barbell rows 275
    straight bar shrugs 315
    Squats 225
    seated rows
    possibly straight bar curls depends on how I feel

Day 2:
    Incline bench 185
    decline bench 225
    bent over barbell rows 275
    dead lifts 405
    lat pull downs
    military presses 135
    some kind of machine flys

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by maxim_X; 11-28-14 at 04:40 PM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I was waiting to see if anyone else chimed in...but I'm the worst person to ask about this, ha

@ tsorfas/snoop/petorious - any love for maxim?

good news for me - my friend's mom just came and cooked up a storm for helping her daughter setup furniture at her apartment - over 50 aloo paratha's (heavy indian bread w' potatoes), 30 roti's (small indian bread), tray of chicken, saucepan full of cooked lentils (moong daal), tray of fish, and all the leftover turkey/casserole/mashed potatoes from thanksgiving

just had a few aloo paratha's w' some chicken, drank 1.5 liters of water, and headed to gym now...time to eat big

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @veshlife

Well the truth is there is no thing as overtraining. That's a scientific fact.
    The kind of training you do depends heavily on your body type and metabolism.

If maxim does the same work out I do for bulking he will actually start cutting.

Muscle growth requires for the tissue to "tear apart" in order to "heal" bigger and better. That's why Jim is suggesting this type of workout.

If you want a high intensity workout (in your case and mine that would result to cutting) the you work supersets with opposite muscles (aka chest and biceps or back and triceps).

Given that your body type is skinny (im the same) you should have short and explosive workouts using big muscle groups (do not focus on one muscle area). So if you wanna do triceps just add another bench exercise that way you do chest shoulders and triceps.

I am currently bulking and today I am the heaviest I have ever been at 167lbs. I gained 7 lbs in 2 weeks while I'm actually getting better definition (good diet is key here).

I will continue bulking all december until I hit 172lbs and then I will shred to 165lbs and focus on building endurance.

0 Not allowed!

I was waiting to see if anyone else chimed in...but I'm the worst person to ask about this, ha

@ tsorfas/snoop/petorious - any love for maxim?
    It is laughable for me to comment on JC's routine when most of his lifts are almost twice mine.

JC, why no regular bench press? And you are standing up for the military press, right? My only comment is to switch the lat pull-downs for pull-ups, weighted if they are too easy.

0 Not allowed!

When it comes to working out one size doesn't fit all, what may work for Jim might bury another.
    I try to mix my push exercises with my pulls, ample recovery time. Usually about 30 -45 mins max 3-4 times a week. Legs a must at least once a week, balls to the wall.
    I don't bother with regular bench press with a bar either, because of the unnatural position it puts my shoulders in, much prefer dumbbells or uneven/single hand pushups.
    I would not train the same body part unless fully recovered.

I am with Petorius on pull-downs vs pull ups. There is also the subconscious benefit to this, which is the body keeps weight gain in check as it has to work harder to pull a heavier load. This is my theory anyway

I would eat an hour or two before working out, you don't want all that food flopping about and slowing you down, that nutrition doesn't make it to your muscles for a while.
    5 gms Leucine 2 hours after a meal helps build muscle too.
    Eat good amount of fats before bed.
    ZZZzzz's

There are 2 ways to go about training
    Increase strength :Treat it like practice, Nerve energy, train submaximum (80% of your max or so), train often, train in perfect form,less reps,train fresh
    Increase size : Push yourself to the max ,Muscle energy, train heavy,train less often,more reps, less sets,ample healing time,exhaust the muscles by draining their chemical energy so it forces the muscles to adapt.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Karate.Snoopy; 12-03-14 at 02:50 PM.