Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

jim stoppani's shortcut to size

Re: jim stoppani's shortcut to size

I gotta get back to learning how to surf. Spent a few weeks in the water couple years ago learning and was having fun. Rains and the 'toxic water' that happens due to run-off put a break in my schedule and I never recovered. Never see a fat surfer!

0 Not allowed!
    Boston --> San Diego

^^ anytime you're beach side come on out

I suck and can't teach you much...but broken waves next a jetty is easy for any beginner:

bigger boards (like 8-9' foam tops) float easy and are maybe a little easier for beginners...I may end up with 2 pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Wait until you're 41 and a week of sloth and poor food choices means 3 weeks to get back to where you were before
    yeah, can't say it gets any easier getting older.

But I look at it a little differently...the older I get, the more I will transition into body weight/stay-fit exercises vs. beach muscle building. I almost look at it like I'm "maturing" in my fitness goals. Trying out different regiments now means I'll have it down to an art by that point.

and I'm also hoping that when I'm in my 50's/60's I will have more wealth/passive income coming in so I can work less, and be at home more so I can start the day with fitness and/or afford a personal trainer

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-13-17 at 04:45 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke ** 2001 Suzuki GSX1300R Busa ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

I've honestly never understood personal trainers from a fitness perspective. As a motivation tool, sure...but fitness is pretty damn easy.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I've honestly never understood personal trainers from a fitness perspective. As a motivation tool, sure...but fitness is pretty damn easy.
    Totally agree. That money is better spent on T, I mean creative.

0 Not allowed!

for me, yes motivation...some of it was also form...it wasn't about getting some fitness that I read online/watched youtube videos, it was about getting past plateau's I was hitting with an extra set of eyes that could get me to meet my goals

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-13-17 at 05:11 PM.
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke ** 2001 Suzuki GSX1300R Busa ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Okay guys...I am getting fat... finally...but not in a bulking way LOL

It all collects on my stomach and a little on my cheeks. Getting a bit of Dad bod and body has an APT (anterior post tilt... presumably from weak abs)

So I am trying to harness the bulking and lift again

Started last week...but work sucked and I only got in 2 days gym + 1 day surf (for cardio )

This week - made it 3 days, all super light weight to start and will work my way up

_-----------------

Question though...any experience with what happens to your joints as you age?

I have a ton of patients with shoulder issues (torn cuffs and surgeries)...so I am thinking:

substituting anything free weight, that's overhead with other shoulder exercises

Knees - easy with the squats/leg press

Always warm up and stretch

Wrists and ankles? Anything?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-28-18 at 02:43 PM.
    instagram @veshlife

195 pounds here. I am in disbelief. Used to be 170. Time to get in shape for trackday season. BTW..the Jim Stoppani shortcup to Shred used to be free. Now it requires a membership. May have to resort to a kindle book or something. See you whales at the track this year

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody here workout at the Natick LAFitness?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Okay guys...I am getting fat... finally...but not in a bulking way LOL

It all collects on my stomach and a little on my cheeks. Getting a bit of Dad bod and body has an APT (anterior post tilt... presumably from weak abs)

So I am trying to harness the bulking and lift again

Started last week...but work sucked and I only got in 2 days gym + 1 day surf (for cardio )

This week - made it 3 days, all super light weight to start and will work my way up

_-----------------

Question though...any experience with what happens to your joints as you age?

I have a ton of patients with shoulder issues (torn cuffs and surgeries)...so I am thinking:

substituting anything free weight, that's overhead with other shoulder exercises

Knees - easy with the squats/leg press

Always warm up and stretch

Wrists and ankles? Anything?
    So my experience is this, I have pretty muched stopped doing exercises that lock in the motion of a joint. This would include about anything with a long bar, I now do with dumbells. I still do some squatting but with much lower weight. I find, for me, it lessens the stress on my joints, especially my elbows which kill if I stress them much at all. My shoulders get sore, but have yet to really hurt one, but I do mostly dumbell and cable work with my upper body. Upright rows are about the last stressful exercise I do for shoulders. high reps and lower weight seems to work.
    I can't put on good weight anymore, really any weight for that matter. When I came out of college I weighed 240# with a 34" waist and a 48" chest. I now weigh 195# with a 36" waist and a 44" chest. My lifts are all much lower than they used to be, some by choice/necessity, others due to lack of strength.
    My son is heavily into sports now. At the age of 13 he is really wanting to get into lifting. I'm trying to restrain him from going too crazy. I truly believe that the heavy weights of yesteryear have affected my joints today. I'm not really that old, but my body went down hill quickly. Maybe it's normal, but I don't think it would happen this fast.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    So my experience is this, I have pretty muched stopped doing exercises that lock in the motion of a joint. This would include about anything with a long bar, I now do with dumbells. I still do some squatting but with much lower weight. I find, for me, it lessens the stress on my joints, especially my elbows which kill if I stress them much at all. My shoulders get sore, but have yet to really hurt one, but I do mostly dumbell and cable work with my upper body. Upright rows are about the last stressful exercise I do for shoulders. high reps and lower weight seems to work.
    I can't put on good weight anymore, really any weight for that matter. When I came out of college I weighed 240# with a 34" waist and a 48" chest. I now weigh 195# with a 36" waist and a 44" chest. My lifts are all much lower than they used to be, some by choice/necessity, others due to lack of strength.
    My son is heavily into sports now. At the age of 13 he is really wanting to get into lifting. I'm trying to restrain him from going too crazy. I truly believe that the heavy weights of yesteryear have affected my joints today. I'm not really that old, but my body went down hill quickly. Maybe it's normal, but I don't think it would happen this fast.
    Upright rows? I have hated those since day 1, huge stress on the shoulder joint. It's not a natural movement and I never do those. Overhead press and rear delt flyes seem to work much better for me. Powerlifting is hard on the joints if form and recovery periods are lacking. I was always a super strict lifter and even so I got bursitis in both shoulders from bench press which meant weeks off the bar. I'm 45 and thankfully not experiencing too much joint pain, I lived for the gym and to lift heavy from my late teens until a few years ago. I have a 15 year old who squats his bodyweight for sets of 10, not huge weight by any means but I limit him to that due to bone structure not being fully developed, etc.

0 Not allowed!

I've always done the uprights, usually every other shoulder workout. I know I should step away from them, but it is difficult habit to break. I had a lot of issue with one shoulder on bench press so I switched to decline bench and it went away. I know it targets differently, but I think with the back helping stabilize it takes some stress from the shoulder. I only dumbell press now over a range of inclines, flat to about 30degrees. In highschool we were a bunch of stupid kids and doing it all wrong. We based our workouts on Schwarzenegger's book, didn't know much about nutrition, we just ate. It wasn't until I was in college and met a guy who was a competing body builder (he was freakin' huge) that he kind of set me on the straight. Overtraining some areas, undertraining others, eating regimens, etc.

I'm holding my son off from anything heavy(er) until he's 15/16 or stops growing. He's hurt his elbow growth plate in the past and we were given a very in depth review of what is right and wrong by his orthopedist. He's a pretty tall kid and his joints are a bit compromised until the plates close. You are wise to keep him at body weight from my understandings of these things.
    He does some light squats and deadlifts just to develop the correct form until he's able to lift fully. I keep him away from the harsh exercises like uprights and close grip bench. (do as I say, not as i do) I just try to get him to build enough muscle to protect the joints and build correct form.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Ha, 35 years old and Josh/Iglu/Oreo called it

I was 138lbs for over a decade...then 144 into my late 20's early 30's, now a steady 153 at 34 on wards...but consistent with Paul’s adage earlier, he is right - the older you get, the more more your activity level and calorie intake level will dictate your weight level.

Since November my gym frequency “re-started” and has been a consistent 2-6 times per week with varying intensity but my weight has stayed the same. But it's fine...I am building a wee bit of strength that feels good, I always feel more energized and I swear I sleep better. Good enough reason for me t work out. I am not gaining or shredding with the level of intensity I am at...oh well.

At the moment, I don't have any set routine or goals...I do go to lift, but the older I get, the more cautious about joints. I don’t do any weight lifting directly overhead for shoulders. When I re-started in November, I started feel a spraining pain in my left shoulder during benching/chest exercises, so I went a week or two with just the bar until my muscles developed sufficient strength in the area to lift safely without any pain. Currently benching 95lbs at 6-8 reps. At my best (22) I did 165. I now use that "older age" recipe for any time I feel pain - back off, drop weight, rest until pain goes down, then use low weight and high reps under the pain threshold until I can push it. It's different from before - in my teens and 20's just go to the gym whenever, push as hard as I want whenever, and just feel sore in the muscles a couple days later. no issues with sprains or sore joints.

I never used to do cardio when my goals were to bulk...but lately I started doing 15-20 mins of cycling to warm up. And now, I like the feel of a good stretch. I try to do it with every workout. The legs always feel “looser” after. I always had a poor posture and the increased weight on my gut has made it worse, so I'm hoping good core/glutes/quad stretching and strengthening will help there.

As for diet, it's a roller coaster like always...I focus less on crazy protein and supplements, and stick to making healthier choices. I opt for fresher/scratch ingredients, average caloric intake, and I consistently do the smoothies with a pinch of kale/banana/avocado/chia seeds in the morning. Whenever I removed kale from my diet my energy level goes down. The more I workout, the better my hydration level is.

We will see if I can be consistent for 2019...the gyms have been surprisingly empty this January

what else I got to look forward to for the rest of my 30's, 40's, and into 50's/60's?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-04-19 at 05:53 PM.
    instagram @veshlife

If all else fails, a week plus long debilitating bout of the flu seems to be good for 10lbs to 15lbs of 'instant' weight loss?

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

dammit Kurlon

it's gonna happen around this time...get your flu shot, and the next time you feel symptoms get diagnosed/start Tamiflu right away, and use ibuprofen to manage the inflammatory symptoms, and any cough/cold combo for the cough suppressant effect

but ya, when I was sick for a few days I also lost a little bit of weight

get well soon...

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    If all else fails, a week plus long debilitating bout of the flu seems to be good for 10lbs to 15lbs of 'instant' weight loss?
    My wife had strep last week and lost at least 5lbs in 5 days.

I continue to weigh almost exactly the same as I have for 15 years regardless of what I eat or what I do. I have to eat constantly when I'm working out regularly or I simply lose weight. We'll see though.. I doubled down a bit this winter and have been powering down Muscle Milk and doubling up on my workouts (which isn't much, but pushups/bench/running or a combination every day).

I recently read that an average adult male can typically expect about 1lb of muscle mass gain in a month with a steady routine. Kind of put it in perspective, as a lot of times in the past I've thrown in the glove when I workout hard for weeks and just lose a pound or two. My biggest problem is eating, or rather my lack of appetite.

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

I couldn't disagree more with the idea that heavy lifting is hard on your joints. In fact quite the opposite has been proven. A recent trend in strength training with the elderly proves this. In many cases joint issues are the result of a strength imbalance. Heavy lifting with proper form will restore that balance and result in healthier joints. Of course, if the damage is done (cartilage or ligament damage etc.) then it's too late and that's another story.

The key to heavy lifting is starting light (extremely light) and slowly progressing by adding a little more weight every time you lift. The second critical element is form. As you progress and the weight gets heavy you must maintain proper form and this is harder than it sounds. This is where a good coach comes in. A good trainer will see and fix form issues long before they become a problem. If a good coach isn't an option, you can train yourself but it's a much slower process. You add weight in small increments and if you experience pain, back up on the weight and figure out what you are doing wrong. This requires some research and then a little trial and error. Once you figure it out, you go back to progressing and file it as a lesson learned.

There are lots of power lifters who have joint issues and this misleads people into thinking that heavy weight causes joint problems. The fact is many power lifters often sacrifice form to get that last rep out, or to set a new personal record. It's here where they are doing the damage. Not by lifting heavy in general. When you progress properly your form will deteriorate long before the lift fails and it's important to be mindful of this.

Through first hand experience I can tell you the impact of lifting heavy is amazing when done right. I started my routine 4 years ago. I was having knee and back problems. Now I have no issues and feel better than ever as I approach 40. If you want to change your body you have to lift heavy. Otherwise, you're just exercising what you have and not really changing anything. Of course, Cardio is the other 50% of the equation too but it's only half.

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    My wife had strep last week and lost at least 5lbs in 5 days.

I continue to weigh almost exactly the same as I have for 15 years regardless of what I eat or what I do. I have to eat constantly when I'm working out regularly or I simply lose weight. We'll see though.. I doubled down a bit this winter and have been powering down Muscle Milk and doubling up on my workouts (which isn't much, but pushups/bench/running or a combination every day).

I recently read that an average adult male can typically expect about 1lb of muscle mass gain in a month with a steady routine. Kind of put it in perspective, as a lot of times in the past I've thrown in the glove when I workout hard for weeks and just lose a pound or two. My biggest problem is eating, or rather my lack of appetite.
    Water weight fluctuations and appetite change are a hell of a thing.

It's nearly impossible to lose more than 2 pounds a week and thats almost starving yourself on like 1200 calorie a day diet.

I keep having friends and workout buddies who tell me they can lose 5 pounds by missing a meal or a shake if they dont eat and how real it is, so I ask them to miss that meal 5x in a row and see if they lose 25 pounds then?

3000 calories deficit or gained is one pound.

Muscle weights more than fat.

More muscle mass increases your daily average burn consumption from ~2500 to more.

Its all simple math really.

0 Not allowed!

Some notes on your shoulder pain as I suffered from the same issues...

Don't abandon overhead work. Overhead presses, when done correctly, will help your shoulders. Consider this....Overhead Presses (OHP) were removed as a main lift from powerlifting competition in the 70s (might have been 60's but lets not dwell on the details) and was replaced with the Bench Press. Prior to this change, shoulder issues were almost unheard of in the powerlifting community. Once the Bench Press became the standard, everyone had shoulder problems.

As previously stated, joint issues are usually the result of strength imbalances and Bench Pressing will cause a major imbalance in your shoulders if you are not careful. OHP meanwhile, works the entire shoulder when done correctly so it will help keep that balance. When you OHP with proper form (narrow grip with elbows forward) you will feel it in the back of your shoulders and in your scapula. While these muscles aren't driving the movement, they are still being engaged and this is essential for shoulder health.

Many people will tell you that pulling (Deadlifts, Pull-Ups, Rows, etc) are the key to shoulder health. This is true but it isn't the whole story. Scapular strength is where you'll get the most bang for your buck in restoring shoulder health. When you OHP make sure you shrug at the top of each rep as this will help recruit the scapula. When you do pull ups, start from a dead hang with your shoulders shrugging up to your ears. Begin the rep by first pulling your shoulders down, then pull with your arms. This results in an isometric engagement of the scapula which should be maintained through the entire range of motion which will lead to great strides in shoulder health.

Many of the shoulder muscles are most effectively worked isometrically and this is best achieved with arms over head. It's important to incorporate this into both pulling and pushing lifts (Pull-Ups and OHP). Learn to do these two lifts properly and throw some face pulls in the mix. Your shoulders will be bullet proof in no time.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    I couldn't disagree more with the idea that heavy lifting is hard on your joints. In fact quite the opposite has been proven. A recent trend in strength training with the elderly proves this. In many cases joint issues are the result of a strength imbalance. Heavy lifting with proper form will restore that balance and result in healthier joints. Of course, if the damage is done (cartilage or ligament damage etc.) then it's too late and that's another story.

The key to heavy lifting is starting light (extremely light) and slowly progressing by adding a little more weight every time you lift. The second critical element is form. As you progress and the weight gets heavy you must maintain proper form and this is harder than it sounds. This is where a good coach comes in. A good trainer will see and fix form issues long before they become a problem. If a good coach isn't an option, you can train yourself but it's a much slower process. You add weight in small increments and if you experience pain, back up on the weight and figure out what you are doing wrong. This requires some research and then a little trial and error. Once you figure it out, you go back to progressing and file it as a lesson learned.

There are lots of power lifters who have joint issues and this misleads people into thinking that heavy weight causes joint problems. The fact is many power lifters often sacrifice form to get that last rep out, or to set a new personal record. It's here where they are doing the damage. Not by lifting heavy in general. When you progress properly your form will deteriorate long before the lift fails and it's important to be mindful of this.

Through first hand experience I can tell you the impact of lifting heavy is amazing when done right. I started my routine 4 years ago. I was having knee and back problems. Now I have no issues and feel better than ever as I approach 40. If you want to change your body you have to lift heavy. Otherwise, you're just exercising what you have and not really changing anything. Of course, Cardio is the other 50% of the equation too but it's only half.
    Mark Rippetoe couldn't agree more. Strength training, more than anything like cycling or conditioning, helped me with racing. Combine 5x5's on the big lifts, with a good diet (my problem) and some stretching and you're going to feel good.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789