Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Juniper router question

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Juniper router question

I'm working with a Juniper router that is proving troublesome... It has an optical interface transmitter that is turning off and on at regular intervals and is not staying on long enough for my gear to sync up. It's a 100GBE signal on QSFP28 CWDM optics. Is there a parameter on the router that will just leave the optical transmitter on all the time? I know nothing about Juniper routers...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Juniper router question

I've not encountered that, but then again none of my kit has SFP+ or QSFP ports. Is it logging anything on the optic power state transitions?

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I've not encountered that, but then again none of my kit has SFP+ or QSFP ports. Is it logging anything on the optic power state transitions?
    Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I have no access to the router. My gear "sees" the optical power from the router go off and on in 3 different ways (composite power, lane power, and LOS alarm), but for whatever reason my customer insists that it's not reporting correctly and the fault lies with my gear... I am 99% certain the router ports that are connected through my gear will negotiate and stay up/up if I could just get the router TX power to remain steady or even just stay on an extra second or two. I was hoping I could simply say "please change <parameter X> to <option y> on the router" to fix the problem. Maybe some parameter like "damping link flapping", "LOS response" or "hold off timer".

They didn't do something silly like forget to turn off auto channelization, or leave it on and put the optics in an 100gb ineligible port?

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

They didn't do something silly like forget to turn off auto channelization, or leave it on and put the optics in an 100gb ineligible port?
    No, they are lab testing different brand QSFP28s in the routers; some work fine and auto-negotiate through my gear without any problems but some seem to require a smidge more time. My gear is a simple pizza box-sized link extender that muxes up to 4 100GBEs onto a single wavelength/single fiber.

Edited to add: By "simple" I mean: ridiculously complex and feature rich, but easy to use.

Last edited by stoinkythepig; 04-20-18 at 07:40 AM.

I want to play in your lab...

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

You running auto negotiation for speed and duplex? Without knowing what your traffic looks like, do you have any broadcast suppression limits in place on the interface?

Some of my cheaper branded optics won't play nice with auto/auto, have to set them to manual and define speed/duplex before they will cooperate with my Junipers.

Last edited by TheIglu; 04-20-18 at 08:45 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    You running auto negotiation for speed and duplex? Without knowing what your traffic looks like, do you have any broadcast suppression limits in place on the interface?

Some of my cheaper branded optics won't play nice with auto/auto, have to set them to manual and define speed/duplex before they will cooperate with my Junipers.
    My gear has none of those options, it is pretty much transparent to the routers and acts like a virtual fiber. However, unlike a fiber, there is a bit of a delay between the time my client port RX at site "A" can detect and frame up on the router output, then re-transmit said router output on the client port TX toward the router at site "Z". I hope that makes sense.

I want to play in your lab...
    Tragically, I have never even seen the gear I'm discussing here. The lab is 3000 miles away at a customer site and I don't have the hardware yet in my lab.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    My gear has none of those options, it is pretty much transparent to the routers and acts like a virtual fiber. However, unlike a fiber, there is a bit of a delay between the time my client port RX at site "A" can detect and frame up on the router output, then re-transmit said router output on the client port TX toward the router at site "Z". I hope that makes sense.
    It does. Your stuff works at a layer below what I was talking about.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Are they lab-testing supported stuff or unsupported stuff?

I sell storage gear, not networking gear, but it always blows my mind when someone spends $100k or $500k on one of our devices, and then tries to save a buck using grey-market $50 optical SFPs instead.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Are they lab-testing supported stuff or unsupported stuff?

I sell storage gear, not networking gear, but it always blows my mind when someone spends $100k or $500k on one of our devices, and then tries to save a buck using grey-market $50 optical SFPs instead.
    The QSFPs they are using work fine in direct Juniper to Juniper connection, but I have no idea if they are supported by Juniper or not. This customer has ridiculously deep pockets so I doubt they are trying to save a buck, I imagine they just want out gear to work with their entire Juniper spare parts inventory.