Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Land survey questions

Re: Land survey questions

Sucks. Sorry.

It looks like you're already on track to do what I would have done, which would be to contact RandyO.

I've met Randy. I don't expect that your neighbor's "good buddy" surveyor will intimidate him much .

Stuff that impacts your home / family is always stressful.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I could be the shitty neighbor and I just don't realize it. I am completely open to that possibility though I don't see how.

I will say though, I think his reaction to my "bud" text was a bit overdone and with that said, he's already pulled some similar shit earlier in the summer for me stopping by with my daughter one Saturday morning while his GF was out walking their puppy. He was out of town at the time so I heard about it from him the following weekend. Strikingly similar reaction to my "bud" text....over done and factoring in things that had no connection with the source of the issue.

Most people who know me are well aware that I will openly acknowledge when I'm being an asshole as well as when I'm in the wrong. In this case I'm finding it very difficult to see where I did this guy so wrong that I get to bear the brunt of his psychological baggage. Either way, I will say it now.....I fully expect he will take swing at me if this situation persists in this manner.

Show us a picture of the "boat", that might explain it.

Jeff

My neighbor had an '86 buick sitting in his yard for several years, then parked a '92 blazer beside it. He finally moved them and then approached me about my boat sitting on a registered trailer in my drive. He said I should do something about the way it just sits there out in the open, pretty much meaning he didn't like the looks of it there. Now mind you, he didn't live there, just owned the house, which was empty and decrepit and falling down, previously with two junk cars in the yard. I told him I'd see what I could do. I grabbed one of the potted plants, 3' tall-ish, from the back yard and set it by the front corner of the boat. I think he got the message and never said anything about it again.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Show us a picture of the "boat", that might explain it.
    Doesn't really matter what it looks like, if it's on the burgs land, which he is paying the mortgage and taxes on.

New neighbors are probably city folk, that moved there thinking there are all types of ordinances restricting what one can do on their own property, like there are in a city community. He's in New Hampshire, it's likely that stuff doesn't exist.

In the end, neighbors can suck. I had a shitty neighbor move across from my last house, a retired state cop that thought he could flap his wings and get whatever he wanted. I always thought 300' of woods between houses would be private enough for me, but it wasn't. In the end, we both won, I moved to an estate that's said to be the most private location in the state, and another law enforcement bought my old house.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

If the boat looks like a dumpster fire gone bad that was jammed against my property line so the owner didn't have to look at, I might not be overly pleased. Then I sure as hell wouldn't be giving the guy a good deal on my firewood. Maybe he thought he had a bargaining chip.

Jeff

Plenty of that stuff "exists" in New Hampshire. Planned unit developments with HOAs and similar are becoming more and more common, especially as developers try to side-step lot minimums. As are towns refining ordinances on zones within a town. My own neighborhood dates back to the early 80's and it has covenants attached to the deed mandating things as mundane as "thou shall have your trash cans on the curb for not more than 24 hours". There are restrictions on RVs and trailers. The trailer thing doesn't seem to get enforced; both my neighbor and I have box trailers in our yards. Nobody seems to care. I'm supposed to consult a construction company that I am pretty sure went out of business in the 90's if I want to change the color of my house. It goes on.

I'm zoned rural, which should mean anything goes. It doesn't.

We're about to try to sneak some hens into my back yard, see if anyone bitches.

Neighbor across the way kept rabbits for a long time until they got into a dispute with the neighbor behind them over an addition. Next thing you know threats were made and the rabbits had to go. My town relaxed some ordinances blocking any/all livestock in several of the in-town residential zones a couple years ago, permitting a few hens as the hippie self sufficiency thing is back in style. I'm planning on pointing to that and acting dumb if someone bitches about our hens.

People are so fucking miserable

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

In the manner of privacy, I am reluctant to start posting pics that clearly identify my property.

As far as the boat, it's a 26' cuddy that stands around 11' in height on the trailer. It is, without a doubt, not easy to hide. The condition of my boat is clean and sits as a complete assembly at the top of my driveway with a mooring cover installed.

Months before the snow started flying, I acknowledged to my neighbor that the boat was not going to be stored in a spot that I considered ideal and that I wanted to remove the 10 to 12 pine next to my shed and fill that area in for parking. From that conversation until now, I experienced a couple things that set me back with regards to time and so the trees did not come down when I'd hoped. The problem I now face is two-fold...due to certain anger issues, I am essentially prevented from being in a position to talk this through with my neighbor so he is informed. Not that I owe him any updates. I just view that as simple courtesy. The other thing I face is, as I type this I am not sure how to revisit this conversation with him so we are both on the same page. I give a shit less about whether or not he likes me and give a shit more about whether or not something is affecting our properties. I thought about placing a note in his mailbox and texting him to expect this note. I'm sure I could cover my message within two paragraphs but now does that kick the hornet's nest again?

And Mark, crazy as this might sound, I believe both of them are from this general area....like a town or two over.

Maybe go over there with your wife/gf or something and try and start fresh. See if it can be talked out and maybe ask what he'd like to see happen and that you're willing to be fair. I don't think texting or letters are the thing to do, it needs to be face to face. Don't be a dick and call him Bud or be condescending, be polite and talk it out. Sometimes someone has to be the bigger person in these situations.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I thought about placing a note in his mailbox and texting him to expect this note.
    don't put it in the mailbox if you're not on good terms...you can get fined for that if he wants to report it...put it under the door or in the door jam

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    don't put it in the mailbox if you're not on good terms...you can get fined for that if he wants to report it...put it under the door or in the door jam
    nor would I nail it to his tire.

Has there been multiple interactions where you think this is on his mind as well, or do you think it only pops into his head when he sees you? I guess I would recommend letting things settle for a couple weeks before adding fuel. Embers will sometimes just extinguish, where as a flame will only explode. But if you think he is beyond the simmer setting, write the note and just let him know you are willing to live amicably next to the nutjob but the two of you have to come to some sort of agreeable situation.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    I don't think texting or letters are the thing to do, it needs to be face to face. Don't be a dick and call him Bud or be condescending, be polite and talk it out. Sometimes someone has to be the bigger person in these situations.
    I agree on all counts. My texts requested to speak with him directly about this and I have been exceptionally patient given the berating phone call. On two occasions now I've sat back (and for the most part silent) while he vents. I am and will continue to be the bigger person however the way I see it right now is I am in a pretty good position to tell him to go fuck himself then make this entire thing complete hell for him. Between the illegal or homemade explosives and the shooting coyotes from what sounds like his deck, I'd like to think he'd be more interested in self control.

Falko - I think he stews on things for some amount of time then at whatever point it becomes convenient, it all spills over and his real message becomes diluted with unrelated factors once the floodgates open. During his phone call I heard something about him needing to plow for 14hrs, I heard about the cars I own that sit in my driveway...followed by him instantly justifying his two dilapidated rock crawlers that currently sit in his yard all the while my cars are complete, have all their doors (ahem!) and run...I heard about me not being his dad so I don't call him bud, I'm not a hotshot, no, I don't get to reply to anything he is saying. It got to a point where I wasn't listening as a result of the state of shock I was in.

I believe my message to him has been clear the entire time....talk to me if there's an issue or if he needs help, has a question, etc. I am an open person and practice a community mindset.

Perhaps I'll mail the letter. I feel I'd be risking another issue by walking onto his property.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sheesh, he sounds like a beauty. I think I'd just work with RandyO at this point and figure out the boundary. I didn't realize he had gone full douche already.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    We're about to try to sneak some hens into my back yard, see if anyone bitches...
    My town relaxed some ordinances blocking any/all livestock in several of the in-town residential zones a couple years ago, permitting a few hens as the hippie self sufficiency thing is back in style. I'm planning on pointing to that and acting dumb if someone bitches about our hens.
    Please make sure my wife doesn't ever hear about this chicken(shit) plan.

We are not farmers. Please don't convince her otherwise.

(Kidding) Not Kidding.

good fences make good neighbors

Sounds like he might be dealing with mental illness or a drug problem

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    He got pissy and informed me that he will call a surveyor buddy of his. (I haven't told him yet but I have a small issue with his surveyor friend coming over to handle this.)
    did he tell you who his surveyor buddy is ?

Why do you think he wouldn't have issue with you calling your surveyor buddy ?

if his buddy is a licensed individual, I don't see an issue

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

Is unlicensed surveying a thing that actually happens?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Question for RandyO this thread has me thinking.... are stone walls used as boundary lines in NH? I have one that runs down one side and across the back. The other side is defined at this point by my neighbors potted plants and tree line which I am ok with at this point cause it looks close to the plot plain I was given at the time of sale. And he has more lawn to take care of..
    My concern is the other day a neighbor up the street came down to inform me that she is now an abutter after purchasing the wooded lot that hits at the stone wall end of my property. Worried about her developing this pc and impacting my land somehow? There where no issues with the deed (right of ways and such) so I may just be over thinking this? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Is unlicensed surveying a thing that actually happens?
    yes, field technicians do lot line stakeouts all the time, ok when they are under supervision of a licensee, stakeout notes, etc, get reviewed, problem is when they moonlight without supervision, most of the time, they get it right, but not always, and they may not have the ethics of a licensed individual, they have nothing at stake for blundering

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

I'm guessing the surveyor is someone he works with.

I could not care less what he thinks. I am having my property surveyed.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Question for RandyO this thread has me thinking.... are stone walls used as boundary lines in NH?
    quite often, but not always, some walls were built on boundary lines, other "interior" walls, were just where farmers wanted to define a pasture or field.

move forward 200 years, now we are subdividing old farms into houselots, existing walls on the farm's perimeter will follow the original boundaries, and they are often stone walls.

Lots on the other hand are required to meet local zoning, if that says 200 feet of frontage, there will be 200 feet of frontage, even if there is a wall at 197 feet, the side boundary may be parallel or cross a wall, the wall really has nothing to do with the boundary

in other words there is no set rule, deeds need to be researched to see what holds

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Sounds like he might be dealing with mental illness or a drug problem
    I'd chalk it up to military scars.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Question for RandyO this thread has me thinking.... are stone walls used as boundary lines in NH? I have one that runs down one side and across the back. The other side is defined at this point by my neighbors potted plants and tree line which I am ok with at this point cause it looks close to the plot plain I was given at the time of sale. And he has more lawn to take care of..
    My concern is the other day a neighbor up the street came down to inform me that she is now an abutter after purchasing the wooded lot that hits at the stone wall end of my property. Worried about her developing this pc and impacting my land somehow? There where no issues with the deed (right of ways and such) so I may just be over thinking this? thanks
    My plot in MA had a rock wall through it that wasnt even close to the property line, but it was loosely assumed by most neighbors as it kind went through the middle of the woods.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast