Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

laptop experiences

Re: laptop experiences

Hmmm...this may actually work

I found a clean install tutorial and they also recommended getting the drivers for the hard disk prior to attempting the clean install...luckily I still have my super hot and slow xps1330 from 2008 in a drawer to download the driver and put it on a usb drive

Lenovo U310: Clean Windows 7 Installation Guide (including Rapid Start and Caching) - Lenovo Community

edit: so when I get to the screen where it asks "where do you want to install windows", I see my 32gb SSD (which I do not want to install windows on) and that's all...when I hit "load drivers", the driver (unzipped of course) f6flpy-x64.zip does not show up...maybe I don't have the right driver?

if so - which driver am I looking for? is it for the hard disk (which I can't seem to find the model number for googling the lenovo u310)

edit 2: it's a seagate ST500LT012 ($65 ish new on newegg) - I am not on the Seagate support website and will try their USB boot utility to see if I can view or fix the drive before the clean install.

Edit 3: the USB SeaTools Bootable tool is doing some sort of fix and it is repairing LBA’s...which apparently means sectors...so maybe this will fix the drive so I can finally do a win7 clean install. Time spent so far 2 hours...money spent zero.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-23-18 at 04:52 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

WIPE
    THE
    DISK

As in boot some other OS like a linux live image, and dd some zeros to the first 10MB or so of the drive.

2 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel / Warp9 Racing
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Hmmm...this may actually work

I found a clean install tutorial and they also recommended getting the drivers for the hard disk prior to attempting the clean install...luckily I still have my super hot and slow xps1330 from 2008 in a drawer to download the driver and put it on a usb drive

Lenovo U310: Clean Windows 7 Installation Guide (including Rapid Start and Caching) - Lenovo Community

edit: so when I get to the screen where it asks "where do you want to install windows", I see my 32gb SSD (which I do not want to install windows on) and that's all...when I hit "load drivers", the driver (unzipped of course) f6flpy-x64.zip does not show up...maybe I don't have the right driver?
    When you unzip the driver, what files do you see? You should see something with the extension .INF and probably something with the extension .SYS. The actual driver will not have the extension .ZIP, and Windows is not smart enough enough to unzip a zip file and look inside. You have to do it yourself!

if so - which driver am I looking for? is it for the hard disk (which I can't seem to find the model number for googling the lenovo u310)
    Unfortunately, it's hard to know. You are probably not looking for a driver for the hard disk per se, because hard disks don't need drivers. Rather, you are looking for the driver for whatever allows Windows to interface with the hard disk. This could be something obvious like "Mass Storage Driver" or something obtuse like "Chipset Driver".

I would go here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/p...u310/downloads and select Windows 7, either 32-bit or 64-bit depending on what you're installing. Then download all the drivers and unzip them all into directories on a USB drive. Then, plug the USB drive into the installer and literally browse through all of them until it finds one it likes. You don't have to worry about damaging anything; if it's the wrong driver, Windows just won't accept it. So there's no chance (for example) it installs a graphics driver in place of a storage driver.

Edit 3: the USB SeaTools Bootable tool is doing some sort of fix and it is repairing LBA’s...which apparently means sectors...so maybe this will fix the drive so I can finally do a win7 clean install. Time spent so far 2 hours...money spent zero.
    That's not the road we need to go down yet, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    WIPE
    THE
    DISK

As in boot some other OS like a linux live image, and dd some zeros to the first 10MB or so of the drive.
    I don't disagree with Josh often but I will here. A bad or corrupt MBR will stop Windows from booting on the new drive, but it shouldn't stop Windows from seeing the drive. Even if the drive had no MBR at all, or if it had a non-Windows boot record, Windows should still see it and let you format the drive and then install the OS.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by number9; 05-24-18 at 11:37 AM.
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I don't disagree with Josh often but I will here. A bad or corrupt MBR will stop Windows from booting on the new drive, but it shouldn't stop Windows from seeing the drive. Even if the drive had no MBR at all, or if it had a non-Windows boot record, Windows should still see it and let you format the drive and then install the OS.
    I run into this often, Windows is FACKING PICKY about the partition map, if it doesn't like the look of it the installer will either show partitions/drives and say nothing can be done with them, or it won't show a drive at all. Wipe the start of the disk and Windows will happily offer to install to the blank volume. The MBR isn't the concern, it's the partition map.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

first, thanks for taking the time for explaining this!

Quote Originally Posted by number9
    You are probably not looking for a driver for the hard disk per se, because hard disks don't need drivers. Rather, you are looking for the driver for whatever allows Windows to interface with the hard disk.
    can't exactly google an answer like this...and me not so computer friendlies

When you unzip the driver, what files do you see? You should see something with the extension .INF and probably something with the extension .SYS. The actual driver will not have the extension .ZIP, and Windows is not smart enough enough to unzip a zip file and look inside. You have to do it yourself!

Unfortunately, it's hard to know. You are probably not looking for a driver for the hard disk per se, because hard disks don't need drivers. Rather, you are looking for the driver for whatever allows Windows to interface with the hard disk. This could be something obvious like "Mass Storage Driver" or something obtuse like "Chipset Driver".

I would go here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/p...u310/downloads and select Windows 7, either 32-bit or 64-bit depending on what you're installing. Then download all the drivers and unzip them all into directories on a USB drive. Then, plug the USB drive into the installer and literally browse through all of them until it finds one it likes. You don't have to worry about damaging anything; if it's the wrong driver, Windows just won't accept it. So there's no chance (for example) it installs a graphics driver in place of a storage driver.
    yes, I unzip the driver's before copying to the usb ha...and there are 6 files - .CAT .INF and .SYS ... so those are likely what I'm looking for!

also when I googled the f6flpy-x64.zip, it brought me to an intel download page that was titled "Intel Rapid Start Technology" - so that's probably it

but it's odd - so I had the driver, and windows 7 installation still didn't find it

That's not the road we need to go down yet, if at all.

Although I don't understand it entirely, I believe this is a part of what happened - when I used the seaboot usb tool, it's "quick fix" and "long fix" repaired sectors of the hard drive (without much a description of what that meant), and now the laptop boots! I get a prompt on startup that the disk needs to be checked, and if I open firefox it will BSOD and shut down, but at least it will boot. I'm using this "2nd chance" to backup what little data I have (all personal files in a single folder on my desktop + 78gb of gopro media lol), then just do the wipe and clean install. I didn't check yet using the win7 install prompts, but I'm guessing that whatever sector fixing the seaboot tools did, will now the win7 install prompts to see the drive and install into it.

0 Not allowed!
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Yessss...threw my data on my external (minus a couple folders that were corrupted), re-booted onto the USB, I can see my 500gb hard drive (which I formatted), and was able to browse and find the driver that allows windows to interface with the hard disk...installing Windows right now! Getting some laundry done, got my appliances for my rental, and repairing my skid plate holder on the vstrom for a ride this weekend too...productive day!

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @veshlife

so I had windows installed, but it did not have any drivers (including networking)...so I couldn't connect to a network to download new drivers

saw a facebook post about from a cute rider chick in LA selling a $350 Lenovo Yoga 710 for $350...holy crap; smaller, lighter, and faster (working ssd...unlike the u310), actually has bluetooth and the touchpad actually works without hiccup. Has a small hdmi port I have never used before, but this thing is awesome! screw the u310...$350 laptop to run for another 3-6 years!

despite the fact that bikes, cell phones, cars, real estate, college, gas, food, medical costs, and everything else has gotten more expensive as I get older, my laptop cost has gone down quite a bit over the last 10 years

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-21-18 at 09:32 PM.
    instagram @veshlife

No pics of cute rider chick? FAIL!

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

there are a ton of cute rider chicks out here....I went to a woman's motorcycle show and they were all super fashion forward not all older ugly harley chicks like the stereotypes would show. mostly in the wood work, on instagram, in LA, and in biker groups.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-21-18 at 10:17 PM.
    instagram @veshlife

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234