Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

new laptop for gift

new laptop for gift

my brother needs a new laptop. Web browsing, saving photos (no edit) and stream entertainment.
    He has an old gateway (5 years old-ish) which started acting up.
    Looking for something <$500 preferably 300-400. I haven't bought a laptop PC in years. Is best buy still the only place to get something reasonably priced and quick? New Egg still have deals and decent equipment?

0 Not allowed!

Re: new laptop for gift

Newegg is my go to. There will be plenty of great laptops for ~$400

0 Not allowed!

dude! hes gettin a dell!

Yeah, looks good to me, pretty standard specs. Im not expert though, but its also a cheap laptop, its not really gonna matter.

0 Not allowed!

I'm much more reluctant to use Newegg as of late since they have been sold and now function as a marketplace where you can deal with 3rd party sellers instead of just Newegg.

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Purchased three laptops through Newegg in the last couple years. Love Asus and happy with every purchase.

For me the killer price change is when you go for full HD 1920x1080 res. I personally can't stand 1366 x 768 res which most sub-$500 laptops have. The ones that do often compromise in speed or quality in other areas.

The $800-1,000 point is kind of the sweet spot for me but there are deals out there.. If you shop and wait for a sale you can easily save $100-200 on a new item.

Quick search landed me here:

ASUS VivoBook 15.6" FHD Notebook, AMD Quad-Core Ryzen 5 2500U Upto 3.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HDMI, Card Reader, USB 3.1 Type-C, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Windows 10 Home - Newegg.com

The specs on that one are very solid.

Kind of depends on how important display quality/speed are for your bro. If he's a casual user the extra money might not be worth it. There are also open box/refurb deals that are extremely cheap, but I've never risked it.

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I'm much more reluctant to use Newegg as of late since they have been sold and now function as a marketplace where you can deal with 3rd party sellers instead of just Newegg.
    I'm similarly skeptical of a lot of the vendors that seem to have taken over. Reminds me of Amazon's third party. It's not necessarily bad but just feels like it's incurred a little extra risk without much gain. Unless the price difference is huge, I prefer to buy from the parent company (NewEgg in this context). In the case of that Dell, the description mentions the merchant has opened the box to upgrade the computer. I'm guessing they're installing 4GB to a 4GB spec'ed laptop. If so, I'd be a little nervous about the amount of care used but maybe that's being overly cautious."1 Year Manufacture warranty from the Seller" - Does that mean no warranty and/or invalidated warranty from Dell? I definitely would not put much reliance on a smaller third party reseller for warranty purposes.

Screen size and/or overall size is probably the biggest factor. You want 8GB of RAM, though upgrading from 4GB to 8GB is usually pretty easy DIY if you want to go that route. Probably any size hard drive is enough unless there's going to be video with those pictures, or games.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

0 Not allowed!

should i pretty much not even bother with anything less than 8gb ram and not even look at HDD any more? I mean he wont do anything crazy on the laptop but still.
    8 GB Ram and SSD?

Access Denied

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by tsorfas; 04-12-19 at 10:18 PM.

Speed wise those two laptops are similar but the SSD will make it feel a lot quicker for load times etc.

For a budget laptop I’d just go SSD.

The Acer has full HD which is just better looking and screen space isn’t cramped, but the lack of SSD will be noticeable.

I’d go for 8GB RAM min, even though that is still overkill for regular use laptops in this range use shared video memory so more is better.

Most laptops from the major companies will be pretty similar in performance at a given price range, so pick your features then look for the best price: SSD, 8GB RAM, USB 3.0, maybe DVD and Full HD if that’s important.

1 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

i just picked up one of these...
    link isn't working for me...anyway its a dell inspiron 15 5570 for $479
    "http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/inspiron-15-5570-laptop/dncwlb2391h"

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 04-16-19 at 09:15 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Can I piggyback here?!

My wife wanted a laptop. She pretty much only uses google apps, has a google phone, etc. She's had a chromebook in the past and it was pretty nice.
    She bought a chromebook. It was trash. I don't even remember the details of how trashy it was, but it was. She promptly returned it in exchange for a different, better chromebook. (Acer Chromebook 15 CB3-532) Moar RAM, all that.

It is trash.

Basically the wifi hardware on this thing is garbage. For some reason the wifi circuitry stops working periodically. Randomly it may come back after a reboot. Spending more time than I'd care to admit googling and sifting through "did you reboot it?!" and "I dunno man, mine works" comments on forums I've come to the conclusion that it is possible the wifi daughter-card is loose in its socket. I need to sit down, pull this thing apart and try to reseat it. See if that helps.

Let's assume it doesn't fix it and this thing is just garbage.

What would we replace it with?

I use a macbook pro now. I swear by them. They are fucking expensive. But I have a 13" MBP that is epic and I pray the kids never destroy it. At work I've been issued a 15" MBP. It's a newer one with the dumbass "touch bar" thing and awful "butterfly" keyboard. But other than that it's a tank that runs anything and is fast. It always connects to wifi networks too, rarely needs a random reboot.

I'm half inclined to just bite the bullet and buy her a refirb 13" MB air for $850. I have confidence it will just work.

Is there a better option?

Her only real needs are:
    - web browsing
    - google productivity suite, namely g-docs
    - video chat (skype, g-chat, etc)
    - wifi circuitry that does not randomly cut-out rendering the laptop completely fucking useless

She rarely/never runs apps outside the browser. In theory a chromebook is perfectly adequate for her.

0 Not allowed!

That's exactly why I swear by Apple. They just fucking work, and work well. I'd rather spend my time focusing on what I need to do with devices instead of fixing/diagnosing them. Like a mattress or any other product/tool you use daily, it's a buy once cry once thing.

I use a 2017 13" MB Air for work... as a tech guy, and it's perfectly fine minus the smallish HD.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RyanNicholson; Yesterday at 09:02 AM.

If you are having hardware issues on a brand new machine, then send it back under warranty. That's what it's for.

I avoid the cheapest Chromebooks. Just as other Windows machines, there are decent ones and shit ones. The mid-range big name Chromebooks hold up well. Asus, Samsung and Acer all make a wide range of Chromebooks. Shouldn't have an issue with a mid-range model. Then again, you really shouldn't have an issue with a cheap model. If it isn't right, send it back.

I'm also running a MBP for work. It's going on 5 years and still flawless. Though it is running Win10 and I boot into the MacOS about once a year just to update the firmware.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    That's exactly why I swear by Apple. They just fucking work, and work well. I'd rather spend my time focusing on what I need to do with devices instead of fixing/diagnosing them. Like a mattress or any other product/tool you use daily, it's a buy once cry once thing.

I use a 2017 13" MB Air for work... as a tech guy, and it's perfectly fine minus the smallish HD.
    That used to be true, but no more. Not only are the new keyboards awful to type on, they break like crazy. At my wife's old job, her MB Pro keys just got worse and worse (either not registering or double typing) and finally it just conked out, she had to use an external keyboard before sending it out for a week to get fixed. At her new job, she was issued a 2017 MB Air (with the old keyboard) because the IT guy said they've had no end of problems with the new keyboards.

There's a pretty good article about it here. An excerpt:

David Heinemeier Hansson, the chief technology officer at Basecamp and the creator of the popular web-application framework Ruby on Rails, tweeted about the issues his company has been facing in regard to Apple's butterfly keyboard.

"Nearly half of all the 3rd-generation, membrane-enhanced keyboards in the 2018+ MacBooks are failing at Basecamp," he wrote. "This is not a 'small number.' It's a catastrophe and Apple should do a total recall."

Hansson followed up by conducting a Twitter survey, which indicated that 53% of the 7,577 respondents said they are experiencing keyboard issues but are "living with it." Eleven percent of respondents said they encountered problems but Apple repaired them, and 36% reported that their keyboard is perfect.
    Apple has also had lots of problems with flex cables failing between the screen and the base of the laptop. It seems they are sacrificing both function and reliability to make their laptops just a tiny bit thinner.

0 Not allowed!
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

What's the litmus here? How much is the "cheapest" and to be avoided nowadays? I'm seeing $4-600 thrown around here.
    Do we avoid anything below $400?

We spent extra for RAM. It was well rated by some review service Acer probably paid for a positive review.

Honestly, I don't want to deal with this at all. But being the "tech worker" in the household I somehow wind up responsible. I'm sure you know what I'm on about here.

I'm not sure if it is under warranty. I think we may have procrastinated to the point where it is out of the 1-year warranty. Although I intend to look into that.
    It did work, for a time.
    I am excited for the opportunity to package this thing up and ship it somewhere, only to have some support person proclaim that it works fine for them.

0 Not allowed!

lol. I'm that guy at work. Hahaa. Works for me. It must be user error

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D