Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LASIK Rules

Re: LASIK Rules

They drug you up before hand, you won't have a care in the world.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I had it done in 03 at VT Eye Laser in Williston. I would recommend it in an instant. Yeah the surgery hurt during the time in the chair, but I've had worse pain taking out my contacts after eating hot wings. The pain is easily forgotten (the surgery pain, not the hot wings pain). It's scary too, no doubt, but so worth it. They were really honest, and even deterred my father from having it done. He just wasn't a good candidate - too old (58) and he wouldn't get enough out of it. He'd still need reading glasses, so it didn't make sense. Do it!

I talked to my ophthalomologist about lasik when I had a checkup with him in December. He told me I'd be a very poor candidate because I have significant astigmatism in addition to being nearsighted, and apparently lasik can't correct astigmatism (at least not to the precise level I'd need it), so I'd still need to wear glasses anyway.

Shame. It would be really nice to be able to open my eyes in the morning and see clearly. That hasn't happened since I was 10.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Dude, Im with you. I have really good vision with my contacts. I dont want to get worse vision. I had always said the contacts were not that bad to wear. Now, Im getting pretty sick of them. Also the success rate is really good now they have been doing these procedures for a long time. Im still afraid.

EVERY SINGLE person I have ever spoken to about laser eye surgery has said they love it. Im still afraid.

The reason it freaks me out is because a former coworker of mine had it done and I guess things didn't go right and it made his vision worse then it was before the procedure. I just can't let go of the fact that if something doesn't go right, my vision is messed up for LIFE!!! ahhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    I talked to my ophthalomologist about lasik when I had a checkup with him in December. He told me I'd be a very poor candidate because I have significant astigmatism in addition to being nearsighted, and apparently lasik can't correct astigmatism (at least not to the precise level I'd need it), so I'd still need to wear glasses anyway.

Shame. It would be really nice to be able to open my eyes in the morning and see clearly. That hasn't happened since I was 10.

--mark
    Who does your doctor refer patients to? Not everyone is a good candidate, but the reasons your doctor gave you don't sound right.

It sounds like you might be a great candidate for the newer technology machines. Astigmatism is something that I would think would make the procedure even more apealing to you. Contacts are considerably more expensive with an astigmatism...been there, done that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I feel it in my Nuggets CitizenFrye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    They drug you up before hand, you won't have a care in the world.

Yeah no kidding.. Wish I had some more..

<h5 style="color:ccc"><i>Put the Fun Between your Legs</i></h5>
    <h5 style="color:ccc"><i> CBR1000RR </i></h5>

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyBilly View Post
    The reason it freaks me out is because a former coworker of mine had it done and I guess things didn't go right and it made his vision worse then it was before the procedure. I just can't let go of the fact that if something doesn't go right, my vision is messed up for LIFE!!! ahhhhhhh.
    But they can go back and fix it. One of the reassuring things was that it can be done again.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    But they can go back and fix it. One of the reassuring things was that it can be done again.
    My GF had to have one of her eye's redone since it developed a ripple along one edge of the flap.. and now she's go 20/20 in each eye. Even with that misshap she's still extremely happy about the procedure. ( She had the blade lasik not the bladeless ) not that theres anything wrong with the blade one, Just saying she went to a different place than I did.

Any updates a year later? I have been toying with this for about 5 years......

Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

I use to work with a few people that had this done as well. I guess they were happy.

When I asked my eye DR about it he said you / others need correction now because your eyes are getting worse as you get older. Getting Lasik, well, they'll continue to get worse. So by the sounds of it, someday you'd need more Lasik or you'd still end up needing lenses or glasses.

I dunno.
    If anyone wears contacts and haven't tried Acuvue Oasis lenses, give them a go. I'm at 20/15 and the lenses are really thin. I had thicker lenses and they wouldn't allow enough air through and my vision would get cloudy. That doesn't happen with the Oasis lenses. Also the thicker lenses, 90% of the time I could feel them in my eyes. I can't feel the Oasis lenses at all, no matter where I move my eyes.

Most insurance companies want no part of Lasik. In lots of cases Lasik will be cheaper than lenses / glasses / frames over time, but they consider it "cosmetic". And what if it did get messed up? then you'd have to go back...etc.

I tried to get this done a few years ago, but my eyes were so damn dry that I got impatient. Over a month of not wearing contacts and using their eye drops and it was still too dry to proceed with the procedure. I'll stick with contacts until they can perform this procedure with dry eyes.

had mine done years ago, drove the 5 hours to LasikMD in Montreal Canada from NH, spent the night for the next day check up, saved a ton of money compared to having it done in the states, not sure what the going rate is now since everyone seems to be doing it, I think I paid 400 an eye

best thing I ever did though

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Any updates a year later? I have been toying with this for about 5 years......
    yeah I'm still seeing better than 20/20. It's fabulous. No problems what so ever ( well really small text on the back of ridiculously small medicine bottles I still can't read, But couldn't read it before the surgery either )

I got it done in November, was -6 in both eyes, and have been seeing 20/15 since a week after the surgery. Got it done at LasikPlus, $2000/eye with lifetime adjustments, plus just telling them I had Cigna lopped 15% off the price. Wish I got it done years ago.

Bumpz

Thinking about heading up to Montreal to get my shit fixed...
    Anyone care to chime in?

Go. Yesterday.

I went about 10 years ago to Montreal for the weekend. Drove home the next day. Vision is still better than it had been since I was about 12 years old.

Well worth it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'm about -6 with some astigmatism and I wear monthly contacts (taken out every night). With contacts in I have better than 20/20 vision.. yeah, I still have to wear contacts, but I like 'em and spend the money on bike parts

Did not run for the border, but I am about 5 years post-Lasik and it's been great. I wore glasses (could not wear contacts) beforehand. It has made every single hobby easier and better.

/s/ Dustin
    LRRS #767
    '09 R6 / '11 848 Evo / '99 RS250

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Go. Yesterday.
    Interesting.

Don't get me wrong, when the cut the cornea and flip up that flap... that's frightening, but worth it.

Ha, yeah, my best friend was like "My advice: when they offer you that 1/2 of a valium demand the whole thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Ha, yeah, my best friend was like "My advice: when they offer you that 1/2 of a valium demand the whole thing."
    Yeah... I didn't get offered the valium. Had I known, I would have asked.

That part is freaky.

I did need to take a nap afterwards. Wife and kids went to the pool for a while and let me sleep.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's had this done starting with significant astigmatism. I heard years ago that I wouldn't be a good candidate because of astigmatism, but now some say yes, some say no. I want it so bad! So tired of contacts and glasses.

2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
    2001 KTM 640 LC4 E

did it...no more glasses wedged in my helmet and glasses in da clubs/bars

my near vision got a little worse for sure...can't focus on shiz right in front of my eye like I used to...I'd say anything less than 3" hurts to focus on...but who the hell looks at shit that close anyways?

morning dryness made slightly better if I stay hydrated

figure I got a good 20-25 years at best while my body is at its prime to enjoy my 30's & 40's before vision gets worse, look young w'out much work, get good physique with reasonable amount of exercise, minimal/zero body aches/pains and blood sugar/pressure control w' out meds.

Spending this time riding dirt bikes, street bikes, trying to get rich, taking risks, bangin' chicks

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-18-16 at 05:03 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Weird. I've always heard astigmatism is the easiest thing for them to fix with this. Maybe mine is mild and that's why I've heard this. I can legally drive w/o glasses. Just can't read a computer display.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast